Craig Loston, S, Have you seen this guy?

Greenseed4

• 5'11"HEIGHT
  • 30 3/4"ARM LENGTH
  • 217LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 3/4"HAND
OVERVIEW

2013: Honorable mention All-SEC pick after playing and starting in 10 games. Had an interception in bowl game against Iowa. 2012: Played in and started 12 games. 2011: Played in 10 games with no starts. 2010: Played in all 13 games with two starts. 2009: Played in two games on special teams before suffering a wrist injury. Received a medical redshirt. High school: Was the No. 1-ranked safety by Rivals.com. Was a first-team all-state pick while playing defensive back and wide receiver.

STRENGTHS  Very well-distributed weight -- packs it well. Good eyes and anticipation. Is aggressive playing the ball in front of him in zone coverage and buzzes quickly to the flat. Good route recognition. Can carry receivers deep and match up with tight ends in man coverage. Steps downhill and can secure open-field tackles. Is tough, sacrifices his body and will deliver some jarring hits. Helps line up the defense and make adjustments. Is noticeably the vocal leader of the secondary (very animated communicator). Versatile with good interchangeability. Gunner and jammer on special teams. Has NFL pedigree. Smart, hardworking and accountable. Very good football intelligence.

WEAKNESSES  Has short arms. Shows some hip tightness that restricts transitional quickness. Tends to rise in his pedal. Gives up separation in man coverage vs. receivers. Will seek the kill shot and can be overaggressive running the alley supporting the run. Can do a better job of driving through contact (not lunging and leaving his feet). Has a spotted injury history and has regularly missed time most years (though he is quick to rehabilitate).

BOTTOM LINE  A big, hard-hitting, vocal secondary leader who showed better as a junior lining up along a more talented secondary next to Eric Reid than he did as a senior. However, still possesses starter-caliber traits as an interchangeable safety most ideally suited playing in the box.

Is it me, or is EVERY safety nowadays "more suited to play in the box"?

I don't care, I think Loston has the range to play center field and in Rex's system the safeties have to be inter-changeable.  Gimmie a young, fiery safety that comes in hot...and keeps his nose clean off the field. 

Yep, every game he's played in college. As mentioned in the article, he's not as talented as his predecessors leaving LSU, but he offers a lot of value for a team looking for a SS.  If we didn't already have Antonio Allen, who I think is going to be a very good player, he'd be a solid acquisition, their skill sets are fairly similar.  I think we should be looking at someone like Ed Reynolds from Stanford, he's more of your center field type of safety.

Yep, every game he's played in college. As mentioned in the article, he's not as talented as his predecessors leaving LSU, but he offers a lot of value for a team looking for a SS.  If we didn't already have Antonio Allen, who I think is going to be a very good player, he'd be a solid acquisition, their skill sets are fairly similar.  I think we should be looking at someone like Ed Reynolds from Stanford, he's more of your center field type of safety.

He would be an upgrade over Allen. There are other quality options for safties out there HaHa Dixon, Calvin Pryor, in later rounds .... Dione Bailey, Jimmie Ward, Deone Bucannon

and Ahmad Dixon who would be a nice pick up in round 4 if he's there.

Dixon has good instincts and is always around the ball. He is a physical player and could be prone to penalties in the NFL. Dixon held his own at the Senior Bowl and ran surprisingly quickly at the Combine. That performance in Indianapolis opened some eyes.

• 5'11"HEIGHT
  • 30 3/4"ARM LENGTH
  • 217LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 3/4"HAND
OVERVIEW

2013: Honorable mention All-SEC pick after playing and starting in 10 games. Had an interception in bowl game against Iowa. 2012: Played in and started 12 games. 2011: Played in 10 games with no starts. 2010: Played in all 13 games with two starts. 2009: Played in two games on special teams before suffering a wrist injury. Received a medical redshirt. High school: Was the No. 1-ranked safety by Rivals.com. Was a first-team all-state pick while playing defensive back and wide receiver.

STRENGTHS  Very well-distributed weight -- packs it well. Good eyes and anticipation. Is aggressive playing the ball in front of him in zone coverage and buzzes quickly to the flat. Good route recognition. Can carry receivers deep and match up with tight ends in man coverage. Steps downhill and can secure open-field tackles. Is tough, sacrifices his body and will deliver some jarring hits. Helps line up the defense and make adjustments. Is noticeably the vocal leader of the secondary (very animated communicator). Versatile with good interchangeability. Gunner and jammer on special teams. Has NFL pedigree. Smart, hardworking and accountable. Very good football intelligence.

WEAKNESSES  Has short arms. Shows some hip tightness that restricts transitional quickness. Tends to rise in his pedal. Gives up separation in man coverage vs. receivers. Will seek the kill shot and can be overaggressive running the alley supporting the run. Can do a better job of driving through contact (not lunging and leaving his feet). Has a spotted injury history and has regularly missed time most years (though he is quick to rehabilitate).

BOTTOM LINE  A big, hard-hitting, vocal secondary leader who showed better as a junior lining up along a more talented secondary next to Eric Reid than he did as a senior. However, still possesses starter-caliber traits as an interchangeable safety most ideally suited playing in the box.

I love Loston, except for his tackling.  He drops his head and doesn't wrap.  And it has nothing to do with "short arms"  watch a Chris Borland highlight, that guy is a banger with textbook tackling skills.  He is supposedly "short-armed" too. 

Think Bob "the missle" Sanders, but six inches taller.

I know Sanders is kind of small, but this guy is not 6'2".  He's maybe three inches taller.  He is also nowhere near as fast. Sanders obliterated him in every possible explosive measure.  .3 in the 40, 9" in the broad, .4 in the shuttle, etc.  Blah, blah, blah, shorts and tees, but it is significant IMO.  They may have similar styles, but they are not similar athletes.  Hopefully this dude is considerably more durable. 

I know Sanders is kind of small, but this guy is not 6'2".  He's maybe three inches taller.  He is also nowhere near as fast. Sanders obliterated him in every possible explosive measure.  .3 in the 40, 9" in the broad, .4 in the shuttle, etc.  Blah, blah, blah, shorts and tees, but it is significant IMO.  They may have similar styles, but they are not similar athletes.  Hopefully this dude is considerably more durable. 

That sucks, CBS listed him at 6'1.  NFL.com combine-report says 5'11,  B/R lists 5'11 then mentions he's "a shade over six foot". 

I compared him to Sanders because of the suddenness of his plays, and the acceleration he has when closing on players.  I didn't look at his archived combine stats from 2004 until you mentioned it; Sanders really beasted at the Combine. In fact, the only stat they share any resemblance is their 10-yard split.  They both were timed at 1.50, which might explain the similarity I observed in their playing style.  Impressive that Loston accelerates as fast as Sanders despite being 13 pounds heavier, and God knows how much taller.   

That sucks, CBS listed him at 6'1.  NFL.com combine-report says 5'11,  B/R lists 5'11 then mentions he's "a shade over six foot". 

I compared him to Sanders because of the suddenness of his plays, and the acceleration he has when closing on players.  I didn't look at his archived combine stats from 2004 until you mentioned it; Sanders really beasted at the Combine. In fact, the only stat they share any resemblance is their 10-yard split.  They both were timed at 1.50, which might explain the similarity I observed in their playing style.  Impressive that Loston accelerates as fast as Sanders despite being 13 pounds heavier, and God knows how much taller.   

No matter what bullsh*t people think about the combine it is valuable for the height and weight alone.  Sanders was 5083 and Loston 6005.  Below is the explanation on the height.  Interesting that Loston is actually taller than some of his listings. 

NOTE: Height is listed using the scout method for height, IE 6024. The first numbers is feet (6 = 6 feet). The next number is full inches with a leading zero (02, so 6'2") and the final number is an eighth of an inch. This means someone listed at 6024 would be 6'2" and 1/2".

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of the possibilities of Calvin Pryor and Craig Loston make me want to go

1st round: Calvin Pryor

2nd round: ASJ or Niklas

3rd round: Craig Loston

4th round: Jared Abbrederis

I'd be the happiest Jet fan.

I like the idea of a hard hitting secondary after seeing that Seattle Defense in the SB. We already got decker, our offense won't get any better if we don't have a QB. Jared Abbrederis and ASJ/Niklas would both help our offense and we can get them later in the rounds, we might also be able to get Phillip Gaines in the mid 4th round pick.

Archived