CB Phillip Gaines & FS Terrance Brooks

jetfan718

This is Nolan Nawrocki's write-up on Phillip Gaines:

STRENGTHS  Nice length. Can be deployed in zone coverage. Plays the pocket. Good production on the ball -- 35 passes defended the last two seasons. Tough and competitive. Is hardworking and well respected by coaches and teammates. WEAKNESSES  Durability is a concern (has been dinged up). Underdeveloped and underpowered. Not equipped to handle man-to-man responsibility. Poor run supporter and tackler. Does not project as a core special-teams player. Tweener traits. BOTTOM LINE

Lean, active zone corner whose ball skills will have to carry him. Could be a practice-squad candidate, but lacks lacks desirable speed, twitch and physicality.

Sounds like he wouldn't be a good fit in a press-coverage scheme like we run. 

On Terrance Brooks:

STRENGTHS: While a touch shorter than scouts would prefer, Brooks looks the part of an NFL free safety, boasting broad shoulders, a well-built frame and trim waist. He possesses good balance, agility and straight-line speed, including an impressive burst to close.

A former cornerback who is asked to drop down and cover slot receivers, on occasion, demonstrating good balance, fluidity and change of direction for coverage. Brooks is more physical than you might expect given his cornerback background, often dropping down into a linebacker-like role for the Seminoles.

Long arms and good balance to play off blocks and make plays near the line of scrimmage amid traffic. A big-hitter who seems to enjoy the physicality of the game. Flashes strong hands for the interception, as well as the ability to track over his shoulder (North Carolina State). Good special teams player.

WEAKNESSES: Only has two seasons of starting action after spending his early career with the Seminoles in backup duty at cornerback. Below average height for the position, though his strength and leaping ability make him less of a liability in jump-ball situations than it might appear.

Highly aggressive defender who will lower his shoulder and fail to wrap up, leading to some missed tackles. Unreliable hands for the interception. Let several "easy" interceptions slip through his fingers in 2013.

COMPARES TO: Louis Delmas, Detroit Lions: Neither boasts the imposing size scouts would prefer but the instincts, athleticism and closing speed are there to overcome it.

--Rob Rang (12/29/13)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737623/terrence-brooks

• 4 weeks later...

I think both these guys would be great in our secondary...

CB - Phillip Gaines

FS - Terrance Brooks (please mute, song is terrible)

I have to look more at Terrance Brooks as his name continutes to pop up. Phillip Gaines however is a BEAST man. There's no reason to pick a CB in the 1st round when we can get this dude in the 2nd. I got him in my mock drafts. I hope we get this dude. 

I have to look more at Terrance Brooks as his name continutes to pop up. Phillip Gaines however is a BEAST man. There's no reason to pick a CB in the 1st round when we can get this dude in the 2nd. I got him in my mock drafts. I hope we get this dude. 

i do like Gaines he wont get out the 2nd so if we draft a WR wit 1st Gaines with our 2nd and maybe move back in the 2nd for that TE we would be in great shape.imo

The next Ed Reed. 

Thats a bold ass statement sir. If you feel that strongly then he needs to be a Jet. Generally speaking, people are so concerned about the CB position that Safety, specifically Free Safety is being ignored. We got torched last year. My feeling is that Milliner will be a consistent #1 CB next year so there's no need for us to go CB in the 1st and maybe 2nd round. If this dude has Ed Reed type skills then we need that. We can rotate at the CB2 position if need be, but its not like we're the detroit lions here with no talent at the position. We need a Free Safety badly. 

Thats a bold ass statement sir. If you feel that strongly then he needs to be a Jet. Generally speaking, people are so concerned about the CB position that Safety, specifically Free Safety is being ignored. We got torched last year. My feeling is that Milliner will be a consistent #1 CB next year so there's no need for us to go CB in the 1st and maybe 2nd round. If this dude has Ed Reed type skills then we need that. We can rotate at the CB2 position if need be, but its not like we're the detroit lions here with no talent at the position. We need a Free Safety badly. 

Film don't lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu77jfo5_eE

Archived