The Real Story On Michael Vick

JetNation

Philadelphia-Eagles-Michael-Vick-leaves-the-fieldWhen it was announced that the New York Jets signed Michael Vick, everyone immediately began focusing on his past. It is understandable because his actions are simply beyond comprehension. How a human can do that to an animal is something that I, and so many others, will never be able to understand. He served 21 months in prison and another 2 months of house arrest. He was suspended by the NFL and declared bankruptcy.

That actually isn’t the story right now. Jets fans certainly have every right to feel the way they do about Michael Vick. Some fans are predicting that the Jets will lose millions in ticket sales. As much as many people want that to be true, it just isn’t based in reality. ESPN tracks NFL attendance, you can sort by team and by year. The Philadelphia Eagles attendance did not go down after signing Michael Vick.

The real story on Michael Vick is that he just isn’t a good enough quarterback. He does some things well, mostly with his legs. He turns the ball over too much and he has only thrown for more than 3,000 yards twice in his 11 year career. Both times he was playing under Marty Morhinweg. Geno Smith threw for over 3,000 yards in his first season.

Michael Vick has played in 16 games in only one season throughout his entire career (2006). He isn’t durable enough and there is no reason to believe that will change as he approaches his 34th birthday. Geno Smith played in 16 games in his first season.

You don’t name Michael Vick your starting QB, run him out there for an entire season and win the Super Bowl. The good news is, that isn’t the Jets game plan. Michael Vick will compete with Geno Smith for the starting job in training camp. Geno Smith will win and then Vick can serve as a backup and football mentor. The Jets want Geno Smith to win this competition and as we learned last year, that goes a long way towards determining the winner. Vick does know Marty Morhinweg’s offense very well and that will come in handy as he serves as the backup QB. He will see the field if Geno gets hurt, if Geno doesn’t perform and in special packages (Wildcat anyone?)

Michael Vick was asked if he would be okay sitting the bench all season. He replied:

First and foremost I came to compete and be a helping hand for Geno, and he has a long way to go.  We both talked.  We both agreed we’re going to push one another and make each other better.  So whatever happens, happens.  And I know what I signed up for.  At the end of the day I’ll be content with it.

Geno Smith is the starting QB of the New York Jets. He has a ton to prove and what the Jets did was sign an insurance policy. This is a mistake they made with Mark Sanchez. They had no insurance. When Sanchez struggled, the Jets only had Mark Brunnel who was well past his prime. Rex Ryan has learned that competition is important at every position; you can’t hand someone the starting job and simply hope for the best. Every player must earn his starting job and that is what Geno Smith will have to do.

Vick and Smith both wore # 7 last year. Vick was asked about this and he replied, “Geno is going to wear number seven.  I’m changing my number.”

A mentor.  A backup.  An insurance policy. Think of Michael Vick as the guy who just took the backup quarterback job away from Matt Simms, because that is what just happened.

Tell us what you think about in our forums.

BY PHIL SULLIVAN ON MARCH 23, 2014

Philadelphia-Eagles-Michael-Vick-leaves-

When it was announced that the New York Jets signed Michael Vick, everyone immediately began focusing on his past. It is understandable because his actions are simply beyond comprehension. How a human can do that to an animal is something that I, and so many others, will never be able to understand. He served 21 months in prison and another 2 months of house arrest. He was suspended by the NFL and declared bankruptcy.

That actually isn’t the story right now. Jets fans certainly have every right to feel the way they do about Michael Vick. Some fans are predicting that the Jets will lose millions in ticket sales. As much as many people want that to be true, it just isn’t based in reality. ESPN tracks NFL attendance, you can sort by team and by year. The Philadelphia Eagles attendance did not go down after signing Michael Vick.

The real story on Michael Vick is that he just isn’t a good enough quarterback. He does some things well, mostly with his legs. He turns the ball over too much and he has only thrown for more than 3,000 yards twice in his 11 year career. Both times he was playing under Marty Morhinweg. Geno Smith threw for over 3,000 yards in his first season.

Michael Vick has played in 16 games in only one season throughout his entire career (2006). He isn’t durable enough and there is no reason to believe that will change as he approaches his 34th birthday. Geno Smith played in 16 games in his first season.

You don’t name Michael Vick your starting QB, run him out there for an entire season and win the Super Bowl. The good news is, that isn’t the Jets game plan. Michael Vick will compete with Geno Smith for the starting job in training camp. Geno Smith will win and then Vick can serve as a backup and football mentor. The Jets want Geno Smith to win this competition and as we learned last year, that goes a long way towards determining the winner. Vick does know Marty Morhinweg’s offense very well and that will come in handy as he serves as the backup QB. He will see the field if Geno gets hurt, if Geno doesn’t perform and in special packages (Wildcat anyone?)

Michael Vick was asked if he would be okay sitting the bench all season. He replied:

First and foremost I came to compete and be a helping hand for Geno, and he has a long way to go.  We both talked.  We both agreed we're going to push one another and make each other better.  So whatever happens, happens.  And I know what I signed up for.  At the end of the day I'll be content with it.

Geno Smith is the starting QB of the New York Jets. He has a ton to prove and what the Jets did was sign an insurance policy. This is a mistake they made with Mark Sanchez. They had no insurance. When Sanchez struggled, the Jets only had Mark Brunnel who was well past his prime. Rex Ryan has learned that competition is important at every position; you can’t hand someone the starting job and simply hope for the best. Every player must earn his starting job and that is what Geno Smith will have to do.

Vick and Smith both wore # 7 last year. Vick was asked about this and he replied, “Geno is going to wear number seven.  I’m changing my number.”

A mentor.  A backup.  An insurance policy. Think of Michael Vick as the guy who just took the backup quarterback job away from Matt Simms, because that is what just happened.

Mods can you merge this with one of the others 1500 Vick threads.

Mods - please don't merge this.  I linked to this thread specifically from my article on the home page.

Thanks for replying within a few minutes at 4:30 am though Mick.  Clearly we both have issues haha.

When it was announced that the New York Jets signed Michael Vick, everyone immediately began focusing on his past. It is understandable because his actions are simply beyond comprehension. How a human can do that to an animal is something that I, and so many others, will never be able to understand. He served 21 months in prison and another 2 months of house arrest. He was suspended by the NFL and declared bankruptcy.

That actually isn’t the story right now. Jets fans certainly have every right to feel the way they do about Michael Vick. Some fans are predicting that the Jets will lose millions in ticket sales. As much as many people want that to be true, it just isn’t based in reality. ESPN tracks NFL attendance, you can sort by team and by year. The Philadelphia Eagles attendance did not go down after signing Michael Vick.

Will this story have to be rewritten if by some chance one of the top three QB's is available at 18? Smith hasn't proved he is the future, and IMO the Jets would be foolish if a talent like Teddy Bridgewater was available at 18.

Will this story have to be rewritten if by some chance one of the top three QB's is available at 18? Smith hasn't proved he is the future, and IMO the Jets would be foolish if a talent like Teddy Bridgewater was available at 18.

Yeah I am not sure the book is closed on the QB position. It's a one year deal, and I could see the Jets drafting a QB as backup to Geno and letting Vick go but I think that is very unlikely. However, I do think that someone maybe more than 1 of the QBs will be there at 18. Bridgewater is free falling. Will be interesting if that happens what we do, Just make our pick or try to trade down? It will be interesting. My guess is everyone gets pissed when we select CB again.

max.....

do you really believe that smith will win this competition?  they might want smith to win.....but what they want moreso is to win. I don't like vick, as most people know, but he will probably win this training camp competition.

and, fwiw, I f there's a qb available in the first round and the jets like him I think its a no brainer that we would be taking them. but that's only if we like them.....I don't think we will draft so much for need.

Yeah, this is how I feel about Vick, too, Max. But you know that because you totally plagiarized my posts for your little article. It's cool, though. :)

Yeah I am not sure the book is closed on the QB position. It's a one year deal, and I could see the Jets drafting a QB as backup to Geno and letting Vick go but I think that is very unlikely. However, I do think that someone maybe more than 1 of the QBs will be there at 18. Bridgewater is free falling. Will be interesting if that happens what we do, Just make our pick or try to trade down? It will be interesting. My guess is everyone gets pissed when we select CB again

If the Jets draft a QB, it'll be Matt Simms who's out of a job, not Vick - not this year.

I'd be a little surprised if the Jets had an interest in a QB in the first round this year. I'm hoping that the top four QBs are off the board when the Jets pick, as that would push other prospects down that they might be more interested in -whether that's a WR, CB, TE, or a pass rusher.

I do hope they start looking seriously at the position in the third and fourth round, though.

max.....

do you really believe that smith will win this competition?  they might want smith to win.....but what they want moreso is to win. I don't like vick, as most people know, but he will probably win this training camp competition.

and, fwiw, I f there's a qb available in the first round and the jets like him I think its a no brainer that we would be taking them. but that's only if we like them.....I don't think we will draft so much for need.

I think he has a good shot.  It's not like Vick is particularly good anyway.  What he has is a wealth of experience that Geno doesn't have.  That is an obvious advantage.  But I think if it's at all close not only will the job be Geno's, it should be.  Vick should have to beat Smith by a country mile to take the starting job.  And while that could happen, I don't know that it's a slam dunk. 

Same thing if we draft someone else.  If he looks special (if we somehow got that lucky), then he should have an advantage over Vick as well, and probably Geno, too.  Like grading on a curve, with the idea that these inexperienced guys will get better.

We'll see.  Hopefully Smith or someone else takes the job.

If I were to look at Michael Vick like i would look at a normal human being, I would say that he would make a very good backup.  His skills are diminished but his arm is reasonable strong.  He certainly has escapability.  He could come out in a game and give a team a pick me up, if he stays reasonably accurate.  5 mill is probably too  much for a backup.  And in an ideal situation, he will never see a snap.  People here talk about him as a starter. If that happens, it means that Geno not only did not improve, but regressed.  If Vick starts here, this team is doomed, record-wise.  I would regard another 8-8 as improvement since luck played a huge part in last year's 8-8.   But unless he gets hurt, Geno has to be the guy.

If I were to look at Michael Vick like i would look at a normal human being, I would say that he would make a very good backup.  His skills are diminished but his arm is reasonable strong.  He certainly has escapability.  He could come out in a game and give a team a pick me up, if he stays reasonably accurate.  5 mill is probably too  much for a backup.  And in an ideal situation, he will never see a snap.  People here talk about him as a starter. If that happens, it means that Geno not only did not improve, but regressed.  If Vick starts here, this team is doomed, record-wise.  I would regard another 8-8 as improvement since luck played a huge part in last year's 8-8.   But unless he gets hurt, Geno has to be the guy.

Agree except for the part in bold.  Geno wouldn't have to regress from his 2013 play to lose a head to head QB competition. 

I think Geno will win. He improved over the course of the season, and he worked with a QB in the offseason in an effort to continue to improve. His weapons will be improved. And Vick isn't nearly as good as he is famous. I think if the Jets honestly thought that Vick would be the clear winner in a competition, that they would've signed him during his first pass thru town.

I'm also wondering a little bit who the frugal GM was bidding against when he gave Vick $5M in the first place. Didn't seem like anyone was beating down his door. In fact, it looked like Oakland had just slammed one shut.

I think Geno will win. He improved over the course of the season, and he worked with a QB in the offseason in an effort to continue to improve. His weapons will be improved. And Vick isn't nearly as good as he is famous. I think if the Jets honestly thought that Vick would be the clear winner in a competition, that they would've signed him during his first pass thru town.

I'm also wondering a little bit who the frugal GM was bidding against when he gave Vick $5M in the first place. Didn't seem like anyone was beating down his door. In fact, it looked like Oakland had just slammed one shut.

I think the reservations the front office had for signing vick to be the clear cut starter are the fact that the guy cant stay healthy and that he's not a particularly good "passer" when vick is healthy he is capable of winning games but it wont be because he carved you up with his decisions and accuracy. he is not beating you that way. he beats you because he is capable of flinging the ball a country mile and he can take off running. and we all know that in the open field vick is a devastating runner.

It is certainly in the Jets best long term interest for Smith to step forward and win the job.  Who is going to have the camp bias depends on who is going to make the decisions on the starting line up

If Idzik allows the coaching staff to do their job, and decide who gives the team the best opportunity to win now, it will be Vick.  If he decides that he is going to make the decisions it will more then likely be Smith 

max.....

I do think Smith will win the competition. 

Yeah, this is how I feel about Vick, too, Max. But you know that because you totally plagiarized my posts for your little article. It's cool, though. :)

If the Jets draft a QB, it'll be Matt Simms who's out of a job, not Vick - not this year.

I'd be a little surprised if the Jets had an interest in a QB in the first round this year. I'm hoping that the top four QBs are off the board when the Jets pick, as that would push other prospects down that they might be more interested in -whether that's a WR, CB, TE, or a pass rusher.

I do hope they start looking seriously at the position in the third and fourth round, though.

Hey I made JetsFan80's post a front page article (Idzik's Master Plan) and it turned out to be one of the most viewed pieces of content we have ever had here.  So whatever it takes!  :)

I don't know if "Phil's opinion on Vick's role" is the same thing as "The real story on Michael Vick."

I actually agree with your thought.  But the title is so important these days.  Somewhere in between what Manish would do and Phil's thoughts on Vick, there is a happy medium.  :)

Are you really using PASSING YARDS as a way of comparing Vick to Smith with a straight face?

Yes.  Because a 34 year old Michael Vick isn't capable of playing 16 games and running for over 500 yards.

Vick has not played a 16 game season since 2006 and once-to expect him to start and play the whole season is not backed from history

Which is why the real story is that he was signed to be a backup.  :)

Just want to say that this article was the single busiest weekend article we ever put up.  We have been around over 9 years and Michael Vick had the single busiest weekend day of all time.  Interesting.

Yes.  Because a 34 year old Michael Vick isn't capable of playing 16 games and running for over 500 yards.

The point isn't his counting stats and no one expects him to come in and play 16 games. But when he DOES play he's still an upgrade over the QB play we got last year by a mile and even if he plays 10 games to the same level that he did last year, that leaves the Jets in a much better position than they were in before they signed him.

Even if you can get past the whole electrocuting and torturing dog thing, Vick is still a vile human being.     He knowingly dropped the Herpes on some unwitting female while he was going to the clinic for said Herp under the "Ron Mexico" alias.    The real story on Vick starts and ends with one word scumbag.     

• 1 month later...

People like telling me about all the things I get wrong.  But with Vick saying he is the backup, it sounds like I got this one right.  :)

The point isn't his counting stats and no one expects him to come in and play 16 games. But when he DOES play he's still an upgrade over the QB play we got last year by a mile and even if he plays 10 games to the same level that he did last year, that leaves the Jets in a much better position than they were in before they signed him.

Looks like the Jets don't agree with you.  Since they told Vick that he will be the backup lol.

In years past Vick has seduced CS and fans with his exciting style of play and the big play potential he brings every down.

Problem is he never sustains that high level over a season and always winds up disapointing in the long run.

I think MM knows this and probably is only thinking of him as insurance and will continue to develop Smith.

Looks like the Jets don't agree with you. Since they told Vick that he will be the backup lol.

He's an awful human being. Do you even know what he's done in his life? He made me buy a #8 jersey, out of love and then switches to #1.......... I hate him, now

Archived