Comp pick discussion thread.

eboozer

Ravens, Jets earn four compensatory picks

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
ellerbekruger.jpg?w=250Getty Images

Last offseason, the Ravens lost inside linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, outside linebacker Paul Kruger, safety Ed Reed and cornerback Cary Williams in free agency.

Now comes the payoff for Baltimore.

Owing to those departures, the Ravens will receive four compensatory picks in the 2014 draft, the NFL said Monday. The highest of those selections is a third-rounder (No. 99 overall). The Ravens will also receive a pair of fourth-round selections (Nos. 134, 138) and a fifth-round selection (No. 175).

Generally speaking, compensatory picks are non-tradeable draft slots given to teams who lost more free agents than they gained in the previous offseason.

The Jets also earned four 2014 compensatory picks: one in Round Four (No. 137) and three in Round Six (Nos. 209-210, 213). Defensive lineman Mike DeVito, safety LaRon Landry and offensive guard Matt Slauson were among the Jets’ 2013 free agent departures.

The highest compensatory pick went to Pittsburgh, which gets spot No. 97 in Round Three. The Steelers lost four 2013 free agents included in the NFL’s compensatory formula, including wideout Mike Wallace and cornerback Keenan Lewis.

In addition to Pittsburgh and Baltimore, Green Bay (No. 98) and San Francisco (No. 100) were also given third-round picks.

All told, 13 teams received at least one compensatory pick, and we’ve compiled thefull list of selections. It’s just one data set of many to be used when weighing the costs and 

Jets Blog says: 1 (4th), 1 (5th),  2 (7th's)

http://thejetsblog.com/bga/compensatory-picks-to-be-announced-today/

Philly.com says: 1( 5th), 3 (6th's)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2003927-nfl-compensatory-picks-2014-rules-formula-explanation-and-latest-projections

Three picks in the fourth round would be huge.  This is a good year to get players on fliers:

-Colt Lylera, TE

-Isaiah Crowell,RB

-Jeff Janis, WR

-Hakeem Smith, S

i like the colt pick or gayle from VA tech

Same. I'm sure I could figure it out by going through all the teams, but what's the reason that we jump up a spot in each successive round?

When teams tie in the standings, they rotate forward each round, so if 3 teams tied at 0-16, and you picked 3rd overall, you would move to 2nd in the 2nd round, and 1st pick in the 3rd, then back to the 3rd pick in the 4th, repeat.

How did the Jets not get a 4th for revis? I thought it would be a 3rd if he stayed and a 4th if he left Tampa.

They did get a 4th for Revis,  These are comp picks, that was a trade, they now have 3 4th round picks, and 4 6th round picks

Plenty of picks to wheel and deal to move up in the 1st round and trade for DeSean Jackson

Fourth round: pick 137

Sixth round: pick 209 

Sixth round: pick 210

Sixth round: pick 213

F*ck yeah!!   I get a boner for back-to-back picks.  I dunno why. 

Same here.

While nothing to do with actual football, it's why if I don't get one of the first three picks in fantasy football, I sometimes prefer getting 10 and 11 or 12 and 13, depending on the league that I'm in. 

You two guys should get a room.

I was looking eboozers draft list and he has Tampa with the 104 pick not us but we have the 104th?

4 104 Tampa Bay Buccaneers   **** This should be Jets pick!!

______________________________________________________________________________________

ESPN had it wrong.... I added the correction on the right. Also why I highlighted it.

C'mon.... get your head in the game!

I have never been so excited about the 6th round before.  I am pumped about owning the 6th.

According to CBSSports.com and their draft rankings, the following three players are projected to go around the 6th round.  We could draft all of them in one round...after filling ALL of our other needs, and these three players ALONE would significantly ugrade our offense

Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley State 

6'3, 219; ran a 4.42, 20 reps, jumped 37.5" & 10'3" and catches everthing.  Projected to slide because he comes from a small school. proj 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dNdDnMNvi4

Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State

5'11, 224; ran a 4.57, 23 reps, jumped 38" & 9'8. Failed a drug test at Georgia and has felony gun charges.  But could be the best RB prospect in the draft. proj 5-6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTzsE3H8rB0

Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon

6'4, 242; ran a 4.61, 15 reps, jumped 10'7" at combine (reportedly had 40" vert in HS).  Quit on his team and did a bunch of Cocaine.  But super talented. proj.6-7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WmPZZ3TWI

Better than I expected. A lot better, really.

I thought it was exactly right.  A little lower, in fact.  The #1 factor in compensatory picks is the contract that the player got (how much it would have cost the team to keep him instead of losing him, in particular how much he made that season he was "lost" to free agency).  Distant secondary consideration is the type of season that player had.  

Landry's $6M is a LOT for a safety (and seemed even more so before this month).  4th round is correct.  He'd have to get $8M+ as a safety for it to be a 3rd.

The pick for Keller must really have been docked because of the injury.  Not fair, since he was 100% healthy when he was traded.  But on paper he didn't put up any numbers for Miami so that's why he was a 6th.  But he also got significant TE money for that season ($4.5M).  If he played and got 600-800 yards I think he'd have been a 5th easy.

The other 2 I couldn't understand why people thought either would be 7th rounders.  DeVito got $3M/year ($5M of it in 2013) and so did Greene ($4.5M of it in 2013).  Those aren't nearly 7th round compensatory contracts.  7th round ones are like players who got barely above the vet minimum (they don't award comp picks if they're actually at the vet minimum).

I think Idzik felt Slauson would have gotten more $ than Chicago got him for, as a 3-year starter who never missed a game.  Even more so for Brandon Moore, who was only 32 when free agency started last season (not old at all for a guard), but no one was really that interested in him.  Dallas made him a ho-hum offer finally, and he chose to retire instead.

Archived