•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Jets in mix for MJD

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 JOJOTOWNSELL

JOJOTOWNSELL

Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

http://newyork.cbslo...-rb-jones-drew/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Jets have their eyes on a good veteran running back, but will almost certainly have to outsmart two division rivals to get him.

The Jets are currently one of four teams to be interested in free agent Maurice Jones-Drew, the Daily News reported Monday.

Jones-Drew would be the perfect complement to incumbent Chris Ivory and would be an excellent pass-catching option out of the backfield. The only problem is Jones-Drew is also being pursued by the New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills and Pittsburgh Steelers, the newspaper reported.

He could meet with the Jets by the end of the week.

It is believed Jones-Drew is looking for roughly $3.5 million per season, but it’s hard to say if John Idzik will meet his asking priceicon1.png when the Jets’ general manager has taken a hard-line stance on veteran players during free agency.

Idzik, who is said to assess a monetary value to all free agents and not deviate from that price, let many of the top players on the market, including cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and wide receiver James Jones, sign with other teams because, among other reasons, he didn’t feel like giving players nearing 30 long-term deals.

Jones-Drew, 29, might fit into the same category. However, he might also be viewed as an exception because his production over the years has been exemplary. Jones-Drew has rushed for 8,071 yards, hauled in 335 receptions and scored a total of 79 touchdowns in eight NFL seasons, all with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

While it’s true the three-time Pro Bowler averaged only 3.4 yards per carry last season, he was playing for one of the worst teams in the NFL. In all, he totaled 1,117 yards from scrimmage and had five touchdowns.

The Jets have stressed competition since Idzik arrived last summer and the infusion of a Jones-Drew to a backfield featuring injury-prone Ivory, overachieving Bilal Powell and Mike Goodson, who is coming off a season-ending injury, would certainly be an upgrade and add a new dimension to an offense that is striving for both explosiveness and balance.

The Jets are also rumored to be in hot pursuit of disgruntled Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson, who would slot in perfectly next to recently signed Eric Decker.

stick to flippin hot dogs and burgers on every other sunday - BP 12/20/2010

#2 joewilly12

joewilly12

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

DeSean Jackson first would prefer Chris Johnson or Knowshon Moreno.

#3 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

Bring me Solo and the Wookie

• Members
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

While it’s true the three-time Pro Bowler averaged only 3.4 yards per carry last season, he was playing for one of the worst teams in the NFL. In all, he totaled 1,117 yards from scrimmage and had five touchdowns.

So what you're saying is that he's perfect for implementing our new falcon offense.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#4 LAD_Brooklyn

LAD_Brooklyn

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

$3.5 mil seems fair but with that said don't see there being a team in position to dish that out right now with some many question mark about his health.

#5 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

Man I can't wait to miss out on MJD because Idzik draws another "line in the sand"!

#6 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

Man I can't wait to miss out on MJD because Idzik draws another "line in the sand"!

Man, I can't wait for us to sign MJD and you to be upset that we acquired another scrub, while letting all those CBs go elsewhere.

#7 Integrity28

Integrity28

I love it when Idzik's plan comes together.

• Members
  • 33,837 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

Too late for "can he play corner"?

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#8 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Man, I can't wait for us to sign MJD and you to be upset that we acquired another scrub, while letting all those CBs go elsewhere.

Yep, sucks about all those guards, tackles, corners and safeties that we couldn't grab with our Scrooge McDuck sized pile of cap space.

#9 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

Down for some MJD on Los Yets.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#10 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,558 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Too late for "can he play corner"?

Should not have let McKnight sign with the Chiefs. 

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#11 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

Yep, sucks about all those guards, tackles, corners and safeties that we couldn't grab with our Scrooge McDuck sized pile of cap space.

w8MLzRi.gif

#12 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

$3.5M per year gets 3.5 yards per attempt.  I'm not good at math, someone help me out. 

#13 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

I think woody is losing his patience and wants more stars

I think the jets get either MJD or djax

“I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.”

#14 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hopefully NE overpays for him.

#15 jack48

jack48

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 4,733 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

it is a one year deal, I am sure.  One year deals do not scare me.  I just have no idea if he can still play or not.

#16 Shadetree

Shadetree

The Voice of Reason

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

Everyone is underestimating MJD. In my opinion he is worth $5 mil a year. He played and injured and jaguar-ed his way to less money but he's an absolute beast IMO

But he's a pipe dream... Not gonna happen. It's the Jets. Our RB isn't chop meat either, he's just an injury waiting to happen.
PUT KLECKO IN CANTON

#17 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

This is from last year

highlights don't start until :39

He gets caught from behind now, but still runs hard up the middle.  I think our OL and offense could actually be a great fit for him as he had 43 rec. last year as the team's focal point.  Here, he'd be a complimentary piece which would open up more space for those dump off passes and screens. 

#18 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,405 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Unless they plan on cutting Goodson I don't see how this makes much sense.

#19 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

This is from last year

He gets caught from behind now, but still runs hard up the middle.  I think our OL and offense could actually be a great fit for him as he had 43 rec. last year as the team's focal point.  Here, he'd be a complimentary piece which would open up more space for those dump off passes and screens.

You're OTC

#20 Jetlife33

Jetlife33

Gotham City Football Club

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

I would like to see MJD in our backfield, he would compliment Ivory quite nicely.

Edited by Jetlife33, 24 March 2014 - 06:29 PM.

New-York-Jets-Helmet-2.gif

#21 Smashmouth

Smashmouth

Make us proud Wrecks

• Members
  • 13,164 posts
  • LocationDallas Tx.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hopefully NE overpays for him.

So he can destroy our LB's out of the backfield 2 times a year ?

Proud Member of the AVM

#22 Stonehands

Stonehands

Jet Fan

• Members
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

I can see him having an LT like impact with us and being valuable in a reduced role.

#23 BroadwayJets

BroadwayJets

NFL Free Agent

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNY/FL

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

I think I'd rather have him than Desean, but probably not gonna happen

new-york-jets-logo.jpg

#24 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 37,859 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

This is from last year

He's lost his burst and leaves a lot of yards on the field.  Dont really see what he gives the Jets that they dont already have, to be honest. 

It's a meh signing at a meh position.  The NY nightlife scares me with him.  He's never been in trouble but he doesnt turn down a good party either.

Edited by JiF, 24 March 2014 - 07:04 PM.

Posted Image

#25 KSJets

KSJets

The Hammer

• Members
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationPlainsboro, NJ

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

http://newyork.cbslo...-rb-jones-drew/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Jets have their eyes on a good veteran running back, but will almost certainly have to outsmart two division rivals to get him.

The Jets are currently one of four teams to be interested in free agent Maurice Jones-Drew, the Daily News reported Monday.

That's where I stopped reading.  Why you people give credence to anything the NYDN reports is beyond me.  Mehta has been wrong with just about every one of his predictions this offseason so far.

"This "breaking news" was addressed a few weeks ago. The Pats suck and all of their accomplishments are bogus as they cheated." - Gainzo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users