John Idzik on Michael Kay & B&C: MERGED

Maxman

New York Jets General Manager John Idzik was a guest on the Michael Kay show. He was asked about Darrelle Revis, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and the Jets “sketchy” situation at cornerback.  Here is the interview:

Here is a thread from our forums about

John Idzik

Idzik was on with Boomer and Carton this morning. Pretty much what you'd expect--Carton asking stupid, vapid questions with no follow-ups, Idzik giving non-answers, with Boomer chiming in when there was no chance it'd jeopardize his cush job at CBS. Finished up by yukking it up over Disneyland jokes. Show is a waste.

I think I caught about 80% of it, but essentially he said:

DRC was a guy they liked but not for that kind of money. Cro was a great jet but not for that kind of money. He also wanted him to get the best offer he could.

They were talking with Sanchez for weeks leading up to cutting him, all sides knew it was an option that he was possibly going to stay, but also knew that Vick was a real possibility. Wanted Sanchez in the plans if Vick wasn't available and all sides were well aware.

The draft is like Christmas with a dozen draft picks and he can't wait

The draft is where you build the club and free agency is where you fix short term needs. You don't over pay in FA.

trades are still very much a possibility like when they traded for Ivory before the draft.

The point of leaving some money unspent is to give the team flexibility. However he didn't say one way or the other how much he will leave unspent.

Idzik was on with Boomer and Carton this morning. Pretty much what you'd expect--Carton asking stupid, vapid questions with no follow-ups, Idzik giving non-answers, with Boomer chiming in when there was no chance it'd jeopardize his cush job at CBS. Finished up by yukking it up over Disneyland jokes. Show is a waste.

Don't know exactly what else you expected them to ask. His philosophy is build through the draft and don't overpay. He said there is time left.

tumblr_lryl24iqnf1qjhons.jpgrandom photo of Tom out for a walk and random yelling at little kids

Heard some of it. Dead air wouldv'e been more informative and entertaining. And he is only now talking to anyone because the ticket sales are probably in the toilet.

I think I caught about 80% of it, but essentially he said:

DRC was a guy they liked but not for that kind of money. Cro was a great jet but not for that kind of money. He also wanted him to get the best offer he could.

They were talking with Sanchez for weeks leading up to cutting him, all sides knew it was an option that he was possibly going to stay, but also knew that Vick was a real possibility. Wanted Sanchez in the plans if Vick wasn't available and all sides were well aware.

The draft is like Christmas with a dozen draft picks and he can't wait

The draft is where you build the club and free agency is where you fix short term needs. You don't over pay in FA.

trades are still very much a possibility like when they traded for Ivory before the draft.

The point of leaving some money unspent is to give the team flexibility. However he didn't say one way or the other how much he will leave unspent.

Schaub was dealt for a #5;why not spend one of those picks to get him? This franchise is a mess.

It amazes me how many times this organization has been fooled by the big shinny object and its absolutely burned the Jets.  And now that they've finally got a frugal more calculated GM, everyone is up in arms about not breaking the bank for the big shinny object.

It amazes me how many times this organization has been fooled by the big shinny object and its absolutely burned the Jets.  And now that they've finally got a frugal more calculated GM, everyone is up in arms about not breaking the bank for the big shinny object.

The spending floor is new. Lots of not so shiny objects are going to get lots of shiny money thrown at them as teams leave themselves short.

Sounds like he didn't say a heck of a lot about the uproar created by signing ConVick.

Lawrence Taylor beat the sh*t out of a 14 year old hooker in his motel room.

Mark Ingram is going to die in prison on drug and racketeering charges.

Dave Meggett is a serial rapist.

Billy Johnson stuck his hand into a machine at a pencil factory hoping to sue for crack money.

Heard some of it. Dead air wouldv'e been more informative and entertaining. And he is only now talking to anyone because the ticket sales are probably in the toilet.

I don't even blame Idzik here. Carton is the clown who's been screaming and yelling about Idzik being asleep, and then when he gets a chance to question him, he pusses out. Typical. He's the same hack who once asked Isiah--as the Knicks were circling the drain--if Isiah thought he was the best played in NBA history under 6'.

I don't even blame Idzik here. Carton is the clown who's been screaming and yelling about Idzik being asleep, and then when he gets a chance to question him, he pusses out. Typical. He's the same hack who once asked Isiah--as the Knicks were circling the drain--if Isiah thought he was the best played in NBA history under 6'.

Are you the same guy who called in around 7:15 and told Carton that he was lobbing softballs, and then Carton went off on him?

Can everyone just chill the F out? 

FA is not an instant fix. There was no one person out there that made or broke the Jets in FA. The teams that have had long term success have used the Draft as a primary builder with FAs to insert short term fixes. I believe Idzik is on the right path. Wouldn't it be nice to see the Jets as a perrenial winner instead of this up for two years down for four years BS? I would like to have hope every year not just every two or three years. Let the man work his craft and lets see where we stand after this year, are we better? are we worse? I can't believe people are freaking out over "losing" DRC or Schaub! Schaub was Mr. Pick Six and DRC was ok this year but in past years he was absolutely maligned. Guys, lets have some perspective here....lets build for the long term..we don't have small windows...so let's enjoy this process and stop whining over overpriced FAs who get multi year deals. I bet that those getting 5 year contracts will get cut way before their contract ends and they saddle the team with a huge cap hit.

LL

Billy Johnson stuck his hand into a machine at a pencil factory hoping to sue for crack money.

To see how are society is- Lawrence Taylor is doing a autograph signing right near me at a bar/restaurant soon- take my word the place will be packed.

say what you want about Idzik's moves this year, but in terms of confidence he has been much more engaging and seemed a lot more comfortable. I think he wanted to actually get things in motion before indulging the talking heads. I take some sort of comfort in that.

See, all of the above things happened AFTER the people in question left the Giants.  The Jets, on the other hand, went out and INTENTIONALLY acquired a "character" guy like ConVick the Criminal.  Note the difference there?

Archived