Desean's a FA

BroadwayJets

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite shopping him and finding interest, Eagles have made decision to cut WR DeSean Jackson. Outright. Jackson is now a free agent.

Curious decision. Is there some benefit to cutting him over, say, getting at least a 5th round draft pick for him? Because there's no reason why they couldn't have gotten *that* at least. Right?

Curious decision. Is there some benefit to cutting him over, say, getting at least a 5th round draft pick for him? Because there's no reason why they couldn't have gotten *that* at least. Right?

Signing him is risk enough. After Hernandez, nobody is going to actually fork over a pick for a guy connected to the Crips.

Ok his connections make this more interesting and dicey-

And the amount of receivers available in the draft. Just read that 33 wide receivers are expected to be drafted this time, 6 of 'em in the 1st round alone. So there's plenty out there if you want to go that route, which is cheaper and has much less risk.

But I wonder now... I don't think he'll get a huge contract because of these "connections" and the fact that they were enough to make Philadelphia release him. So maybe he won't get so much.

Also, IF THE PATRIOTS SIGN HIM, GOD HELP US ALL!!!!!!

from NJ.com:

"Yet the Eagles' apparent interest in jettisoning Jackson likely has little to do with his performance on the field or a big-money contract that could squeeze the team's salary cap. Rather, sources close to Jackson and within the Eagles' organization say, it's Jackson's off-field behavior that concerns the front office. A bad attitude, an inconsistent work ethic, missed meetings and a lack of chemistry with head coach Chip Kelly are the reasons, sources told NJ.com. And when the Eagles looked more deeply into why Jackson was missing meetings, they found that his friends were becoming a more powerful -- and negative -- influence in his life.

Now the Eagles have even more serious concerns -- Jackson's continued association with reputed Los Angeles street gang members who have been connected to two homicides since 2010."

I didn't know this guy was a idiot    ... damn ... would have been nice to cash in on something from the Vick connection

I'm guessing no one was interested enough to trade a pick plus pay his contract. Be interesting to see what he gets paid as a free agent now.

I'm guessing no one was interested enough to trade a pick plus pay his contract. Be interesting to see what he gets paid as a free agent now.

One of the teams with no cap room will figure out a way to make it happen while we are left with our thumbs in our backends with our mouths agape. 

27 years without incident. 6 years in the league. Rumors are a dangerous thing to take stock in.

Donte Stallworth murdered someone and got back in the league. 

I'd take option 1 all day long.

Apparently one of his friends is under investigation for the homicide of a 14 year old. No team wants to wake up one morning to find out their star receiver just Aaron Hernandez'd them and be left with all that money on the hook. 

Apparently one of his friends is under investigation for the homicide of a 14 year old. No team wants to wake up one morning to find out their star receiver just Aaron Hernandez'd them and be left with all that money on the hook. 

Didn't that article also say that there as nothing connecting Jackson?

from NJ.com:

"Yet the Eagles' apparent interest in jettisoning Jackson likely has little to do with his performance on the field or a big-money contract that could squeeze the team's salary cap. Rather, sources close to Jackson and within the Eagles' organization say, it's Jackson's off-field behavior that concerns the front office. A bad attitude, an inconsistent work ethic, missed meetings and a lack of chemistry with head coach Chip Kelly are the reasons, sources told NJ.com. And when the Eagles looked more deeply into why Jackson was missing meetings, they found that his friends were becoming a more powerful -- and negative -- influence in his life.

Now the Eagles have even more serious concerns -- Jackson's continued association with reputed Los Angeles street gang members who have been connected to two homicides since 2010."

I didn't know this guy was a idiot    ... damn ... would have been nice to cash in on something from the Vick connection

This also could just be spin being leaked by the Eagles PR department to keep their fanbase from going nuts because they just released one of the most explosive receivers in the league. 

Throwing around gang affiliation accusations on the heels of the Hernandez fiasco is no small thing.  It could cost Jackson millions or even his career whether it's true or not.

Jackson should publicly rebuke the suggestion that he has any gang ties immediately. 

Archived