EVERYTHING CHRIS JOHNSON: MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24504933/titans-likely-to-release-rb-chris-johnson-next-week

Chris Johnson's tenure in Tennessee may be coming to an end. (USATSI)

More NFL offseason: Mock Drafts | Prospect Rankings | Pro days | Top free agents

One way or another, Chris Johnson almost certainly won't be with the Titans next month when the team reports for offseason workouts. Johnson was reportedly on the trade block in early March. And even with multiple teams interested in his services, his $8 million base salary in 2014 is prohibitive, which is why he'll likely be released, perhaps as soon as next week, according to CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora.

As for possible landing spots, the Tennessean's Jim Wyatt thinks Johnson ends up with the Falcons, who signed 30-year-old Steven Jackson last offseason.

At the annual NFL meetings earlier this week, new Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt said the team will continue to weigh their options with the 29-year-old Johnson, the team's 2008 first-round pick.

"This whole thing is a process," Whisenhunt said, via the Tennessean. "There's not a timetable on doing it. We're trying to do what's best for the team. We're certainly sensitive to try and resolve this whole deal sooner than later. It's just a process that you go through. I hope the fan base understands we're trying to do what's best for our team. All that matters is what we do on Sundays and winning those games."

Meanwhile, Johnson, who averaged a career-low 3.9 yards per carry last season, plans to show up for the Titans' offseason workouts that begin April 7.

"Yeah, I plan on being there," Johnson told the the Tennessean Tuesday. "If I haven't been traded or released by that time, I will show up in Nashville and be ready to go from day one with the team. There's been a lot of speculation about the future, and where I'll be. But I am under contract with the Tennessee Titans. That's my team. And whatever team I am with when the offseason program starts, that is where I am showing up.

"I want to run and lift with the team and do what I can to make the team better. If April 7 gets here and I am on the Tennessee roster, then I am going to show up ready to go."

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/2/18/5422038/potential-jets-chris-johnson

Feb 18th

There are currently rumors that Chris Johnson will soon be cut from the Tennessee Titans due to his impending $8 million salary next year, and will be a free agent. If this is true, the New York Jets would be wise to bring Johnson in for a visit and, if financially feasible, sign him to a multi-year contract. Although Johnson’s performance has suffered since his 2,000 yard season, he has never gone below 1,000 yards in a season in six years. He is still a dynamic threat that is averaging 4.53 yards/attempt (better than the likes of Frank Gore, Arian Foster, Maurice Jones-Drew, Reggie Bush, Ray Rice, Matt Forte, Doug Martin, Marshawn Lynch, Steven Jackson, and others) over his career and has caught no less than thirty-six passes in a season.

I think Johnson desperately needs a change of scenery. He’s seemingly lost some motivation on the listless Titans, and I think he’d be a fantastic partner to Chris Ivory and would give the Jets a home run threat, which they desperately need. He’s much better than Mike Goodson, and much more durable. He has never missed a game, despite playing on a torn meniscus this season. If the price is right, and to me that means no more than $2-3 million per year, John Idzik should make signing Chris Johnson a priority.

QB Vick/Geno

RB Johnson, Ivory

WR Jackson, Kerley

WR Decker, Hill, Nelson

TE ? , Cumberland

Someone deserves to be fired if such an offense wasn't to work out.

I really don't see them ending up with Jackson and Johnson.  But if they did you would think it would make sense to start Vick with all that win now talent around him.

Im all for improving this offense. But these castoffs are not the way to go about it. Now that this guy is released he will sign a team friendly deal then get paid and forget how to play again after much bitching like he did the last time he cried for a contact

Definitely. Goodson is JAG but djax changes this O.

Honestly, I don't want CJ0.5K. He's soft.

Depends what the intention is in bringing him here.  If it's to give him 250-300 carries (plus all 3rd downs), then no.  If it's for half that plus 3rd downs yes he could play out 3 years of a deal (or all of a 3-year deal) if that's his intended workload, and be effective doing it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000318310/article/chris-johnson-will-have-meniscus-surgery-this-week

Chris Johnson will have meniscus surgery this week (January)

Chris Johnson is expected to hit free agency for the first time in his career this offseason. If that happens, he'll do it coming off surgery.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that Johnson will have surgery this week to repair a torn meniscus, per a source who has spoken to the running back. Johnson's knee bothered him for most of the season. Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean first reported the news.

Johnson said in December that there's "no way" he'll take a pay cut to stay with the Tennessee Titans, so he probably won't stay with them. Johnson is owed $8 million next season and there's no reason to think the Titans will pay that amount. Johnson was limited to 3.9 yards-per-carry and 1,077 rushing yards in 2013. NFL Media columnist Mike Silver reported in December that Johnson is not in the team's long-term plans.

While the injury gives Johnson a reason for his sluggish play, coming off knee surgery doesn't help his market value. Johnson has been remarkably durable in his career, missing only one game in six years. Johnson has the league's longest active consecutive games started streak for running backs.

Teams simply don't pay for running backs in free agency unless they are truly special. Johnson gets what's blocked; he has struggled to make defenders miss in space for years. He's a fine complementary piece to a running attack, but we don't expect Johnson to carry the load for any team next season.

Depends what the intention is in bringing him here. If it's to give him 250-300 carries (plus all 3rd downs), then no. If it's for half that plus 3rd downs yes he could play out 3 years of a deal (or all of a 3-year deal) if that's his intended workload, and be effective doing it.

Chris Johnson wants to be a full time player and someone will give him a chance

I'm not sure how many RB-needy teams remain.  We'll see who is involved.  There was only one team chasing Tate.

It may reach a situation where there are no teams willing to offer him a starting gig.  That could drive his asking price down and I can see a fit here for him. 

Of course no one is concerned that Idzik will overpay for him, right?  The fear with Tanny would be an emotional, huge signing.  At least John practices restraint.  (A little too much for my taste sometimes).

If that's the case then that's the case. We don't need that. We need a complementary back who morphs into a 3rd down only back when he loses another step. If that's a bad fit for him them he can piss off. There's a draft coming up, and another next year. He's a used RB, not a franchise savior.

And it's want more than need anyway. Plus I want even aware of his knee surgery.

If he'd be willing to assume the LT role here, I'd be ok with it. Better than reaching on a back probably....even though I like Tre Mason a ton.

Mason, Sankey or Seastrunk would be great in that role. Unless they plan on Goodson being healthy, it's a position they should address, especially if they want Geno to develop.  That being said, you can get productive backs, especially just 3rd down backs throughout the entire draft.

Mason, Sankey or Seastrunk would be great in that role. Unless they plan on Goodson being healthy, it's a position they should address, especially if they want Geno to develop.  That being said, you can get productive backs, especially just 3rd down backs throughout the entire draft.

Mason's a beast man...would love to have him here.

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini believes the Jets will pursue Chris Johnson when he is released from the Titans.

Cimini does not know if Johnson would accept the committee role he would be given in New York, but he certainly fits the speed back mold the Jets are looking for to complement Chris Ivory. Johnson may be looking for more than a committee role, but that will be all he is likely to find in free agency. The Falcons have also been strongly linked with CJ?K.

Archived