How I became a Jets fan Thread..

SouthernJet

The football bug bit when I was 10 (1971).  The Giants were boring as hell.  Joe namath was throwing the ball all over the place and was so much fun to watch.  I grew up 15 minutes from Hofstra which was nice for training camp.  Ironically, I now live 15 minutes from Florham Park.

Oh nooooo, we at least get one of the two kids...

We need someone else to share our misery with us :)

negotiating for jets/yankees. she gets her baseball team and i get my football team. ultimately they will choose on their own.

Seeing as I have always lived in the South, when I was young we moved to South Florida and I developed a deep hatred for the Miami Hurricanes and Miami Dolphins.   My first attendance to a pro game was the 1988 Jets/dolphins and I got to see the Jets blow out the dolphins.   This game created a Jets fan for life.   One of my best friends at the time was a Jets fan from New York and it was him and his dad who took me to the game.   Truth be told, I had already started to like them as I really didn't have a team to root for since I was from Tennessee and hated the local team.   It just kind of made since.  

The football bug bit when I was 10 (1971).  The Giants were boring as hell.  Joe namath was throwing the ball all over the place and was so much fun to watch.  I grew up 15 minutes from Hofstra which was nice for training camp.  Ironically, I now live 15 minutes from Florham Park.

Ironically enough I grew up in Pleasantville and the Giants used to practice at Pace(some wild LT stories I've heard)....but my old man was a Jets fan because of Namath and the Jets used to practice in Peekskill, which is the area his family ended up moving to in the 60's...so Jets were it for me. 95% of my buddies growing up were Giants fans.

giants tickets were hard to get in 1981 on LI, jets tickets were easy

dad took me to shea for two home openers, 1981 & 1982

I could have been a giants fan if he would deal with scalpers

**** you dad

Growing up in Chicago with the Monsters of the Midway I was a Bear fan out of the box but when Namath made "the prediction" it changed everything for me. It was such a huge thing at the time - nobody talked smack back then and the disparity between the leagues was huge.

From then on playing sandlot in the neighborhood if I was QB it was always "Namath ... sees Maynard deep ... touchdown!" Still hard to follow them until I transferred to NJ in the late 70's. Then living out east everybody was a Giant fan which even endeared them to me more. Still couldn't really follow them very well after I transferred back to the midwest as there wasn't internet/posting boards. Then in the mid 90's I became buddies with Tommy Baldwin who was Klecko's back-up NT in the mid 80's (my avatar) at least gave me somebody to talk Jets with. With the internet I could follow scores and stats but still didn't know about posting boards till McCareins got traded from the Titans. He was a hometown kid and his little brother and my daughter were boy/girl track MVP's in H.S. together. Somebody from town told me about JI and it put me in touch with a lot of great fellow sufferers across the country.  

West Coast Jet Fan here.

Started rooting for them since I was a little kid due to the fact I loved planes and loved underdogs (Jets were pretty abysmal during the late 80s/90s). But the more people gave me sh*t for rooting for them, the bigger I became a fan. 

Over the years I occasionally met a Jet fan or two here in California, and most often than not they were complete douchbags. While my fandom of never waivered, this lead me to slowly start regretting picking the Jets as the team to put my hopes and dreams into (on top of the teams front office constantly shooting themselves in the foot and making the team look like asshats). That was until I met my now fiancee a year and a half ago who's from New Jersey. She's a born die-hard Jets fan (and Devils) and I've never regret choosing the Jets since I met her. Sounds sappy, but when you've rooted for a team by yourself for your whole life, its amazing to share that passion for a team with someone else.

Dad.  F him.  Jets, Mets, Knicks, Islanders.  Really?  What an ass.  He used to know someone in the Player Personnel dept and we'd go to practices, get on the field, eat in the cafeteria....my brother arm wrestled Klecko for an ice cream cone.  Its in my blood.

But the moment that solidified me a Jets fan forever was when I was really young, watching the Giants in the Super Bowl and I loved LT and Little Joe Morris, so I cheered during a good play.  My brother proceeded to smack me upside the head and said words I'll never forget "we are Jets fans in this house".  Havent wavered since.

Just being a contrarian by nature.

I grew up in a Giants household, in their heyday, in a town with homes owned by Bill Parcells, Lawrence Taylor, and Joe Morris.

Loved the sack exchange, Wesley Walker and Al Toon.

First game I can really remember as a kid being taken by, was Walker's 4 TD game vs. Miami in '83. 

Long story short... my father jammed the Giants (football) and Yanks down my throat.  I have photos from when I was 4 or 5 in a full on Yankees uniform (I was already roofing the ball in whiffle and stick ball so I was already a big baseball fan).  I developed a hated of the Giants and Yanks from an early age -- it just came naturally. Hence, the Jets and Mets for me. 

"...So, to recap, Rich Kotite was REALLY bad, Parcells was STUPID, Herm was pretty good there for awhile, and--as I mentioned at the beginning of this speech--Mangini was the worst and Rex is really the guy I think will be the best coach in franchise history. Oh my God, it's been like forty-five minutes already? Anyway, we'll miss you Uncle Pete. Haha."

--Joe Brod, giving a eulogy.

Long story short... my father jammed the Giants (football) and Yanks down my throat.  I have photos from when I was 4 or 5 in a full on Yankees uniform (I was already roofing the ball in whiffle and stick ball so I was already a big baseball fan).  I hated the effin' degenerate gambler, Mafioso prick.  Hence, the Jets and Mets for me.  As a kid, lots of tough guys in Brooklyn bought me OJ and hot chocolate when I was sitting in the bar while the old man was collecting.  That's it.

Wasn't this the story line in a DeNiro movie??

Living close to Shea probably contributed to making me a Jet and Met fan from the beginning and never wavering. Have slight memories of the Superbowl in 69, but more vivid the next Superbowl where KC killed Minnesota and I loved the AFL (just like I loved the ABA). Remember many years later, loving John 'Riggins in his rookie season, and then he held out, came late to camp, and played the first game of the season, a Monday night football game with a tomahawk hairdo, and he fumbled. Jets lost and I cried all night. It was Riggins and Walkers and Barkum that solidified my love for the Jets. Fond radio memories of Martie Glickman: "out of the huddle come the Jets, Namath barks the signals..."

It was 1968 and I was sitting in front of the TV watching the Jets Raider gnawing on a chicken bone.  The Jets took the lead and then this cute little girl came on TV and my grandfather and Dad started to cuss.  Jets ended up losing.  My grandfather and father bitched endlessly until my grandmother decided to feed everyone.  I was very young and associated the Jets losing with eating.  BOOM!!! Lifelong fan. 

It was 1968 and I was sitting in front of the TV watching the Jets Raider gnawing on a chicken bone.  The Jets took the lead and then this cute little girl came on TV and my grandfather and Dad started to cuss.  Jets ended up losing.  My grandfather and father bitched endlessly until my grandmother decided to feed everyone.  I was very young and associated the Jets losing with eating.  BOOM!!! Lifelong fan. 

this explains a lot

a relative who had season tickets brought me to a Jets Bills game & of course the Jets won 30-3 and I have been a fan ever since. I wish I did some research before picking this debacle of a franchise. I think the Giants would of been a better fit since I root for the Yankees as a baseball team. Still waiting for that elusive super bowl which I believe will not happen because that's their the jets & as always they screw everything up in one way or another.

My Favorite All time Jets have to be Curtis Martin, Wayne Chrebet , Chad Pennington all 3 class act players who never won a superbowl but played with heart & pride & glory every game. I do regret picking the Jets as my team though for obvious reasons because they lose.

"...So, to recap, Rich Kotite was REALLY bad, Parcells was STUPID, Herm was pretty good there for awhile, and--as I mentioned at the beginning of this speech--Mangini was the worst and Rex is really the guy I think will be the best coach in franchise history. Oh my God, it's been like forty-five minutes already? Anyway, we'll miss you Uncle Pete. Haha."

--Joe Brod, giving a eulogy.

And?

Archived