Ex-GM Ted Sundquist thoughts on Idzik

SouthernJet

Former NFL General Manager Ted Sundquist, shares his thoughts on John Idzik's offseason approach.

Sundquist notes that while Jets fans are now asking for more money to be spent on high-profile free agents—such as DeSean Jackson—each GM's approach is different, and Idzik has a calculated one.

"Idzik manages money more effectively than Mike Tannenbaum, Breno Giacomini is nearly the exact same player as departed tackle Austin Howard, who received twice as much as Breno from the Raiders. Eric Decker was the splash Idzik wanted to make this offseason, he's young, talented and came at a more than friendly price. It was expected that Decker would command $9M + a year, Idzik signed him for $7.25M. Ninja."

"Say it with me: In Idzik we Trust."

Some fans don't understand the business aspect and the process that's involved in general managers managing a team. Idzik appears to look for the red sale signs that you see in department stores when it comes to acquiring players in free agent. You may want to call him cheap but he's looking for the best bang for a buck. Idzik notices or sees red flags during negotiations and wastes no time backing out of negotiations when he sees fit. Idzik is a shrewd negotiator and he won't budge an inch, like in the case with inquiring on DeSean Jackson. I don't believe it was only money that made him have no interest in Jackson but his background that showed he may have been involved with gangs also affected it. There's a big difference between Idzik  and Tannenbaum. This stat explains them in a nutshell: The Jets have 12 draft picks this year. In Ryan's first three seasons (2009 to 2011), with Mike Tannenbaum as the general manager, they had a total of 13 picks.Tannenbaum spent money wildly, and dished out bad contracts that included a ton of guaranteed money that put the team in a hole regarding cap space. Idzik generally knows what a player is worth and that is representative by the signings of Eric Decker and Breno Giacomini. In the end, Idzik signed the number one wide receiver and the number one quarterback in Free Agency and he didn't overpay for them. I'd think that fans realize this and they should be happy. Although the Jets has tons of cap space (currently at $27.2 million), fans should realize the team can't sign all the top free agents. It's not Idzik's style.

That stat really is so telling.  13 picks in three years vs. 12 picks in this year alone.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's not bringing in a bunch of flashy free agents this year because he's trying to get more comp picks next year too.  Even if it eventually works out to be one more comp pick, that would still be more than in the past.  I like that strategy tbh.  Some teams always seem to have extra comp picks year after year, and we've essentially been shut out most years but we have four extra picks this year.  I really like how that worked out and I don't think Idzik is going to run the team differently.  I think he's going to try to get extra comp picks year after year.  That only helps the team.

Tannenbaum sucked. I think we all get that. I love all the draft picks, but otherwise, I'm not completely sold that the opposite of Tannenbaum in free agency is the way to go. Seemed like there might be a little middle ground there.

Idzik may not say mini-draft, but he must be thinking it. Right?

Tannenbaum sucked. I think we all get that. I love all the draft picks, but otherwise, I'm not completely sold that the opposite of Tannenbaum in free agency is the way to go. Seemed like there might be a little middle ground there.

I think the middle ground you mention is idzik will spend when team is ready for a SB run..Just not there yet

Are you not happy with us getting Decker, who was regarded as the best FA WR out there?  Given I'm used to us making more of a splash as well.  When you say middle ground, I'm guessing you're talking about us signing a CB since we lost Cro right?  Would that have counted as middle ground?

Are you not happy with us getting Decker, who was regarded as the best FA WR out there?  Given I'm used to us making more of a splash as well.  When you say middle ground, I'm guessing you're talking about us signing a CB since we lost Cro right?  Would that have counted as middle ground?

A starter at CB would've gone a long way with me. Seems like they settled on Colon after not landing anyone at guard, and didn't even settle at CB after releasing Cro. Didn't even sniff at a safety when their secondary was one of the worst in the league last year. I don't know. I get the value-based shopping. I haven't bought a new car since 1987. I'm not sure how this $27M in cap space figures moving forward, either, when they have to spend a certain percentage of the cap in the next couple years.

I'm not against the guy or anything. Like I said, I love all the draft picks. I just haven't drunk the kool-aid at the cult of Idzik party, yet. People seem to be inferring some philosophy, convinced he's got this plan and it's going to play out at some future time. I'm gonna wait until I start seeing it actually play out before subscribing, that's all.

A starter at CB would've gone a long way with me. Seems like they settled on Colon after not landing anyone at guard, and didn't even settle at CB after releasing Cro. Didn't even sniff at a safety when their secondary was one of the worst in the league last year. I don't know. I get the value-based shopping. I haven't bought a new car since 1987. I'm not sure how this $27M in cap space figures moving forward, either, when they have to spend a certain percentage of the cap in the next couple years.

I'm not against the guy or anything. Like I said, I love all the draft picks. I just haven't drunk the kool-aid at the cult of Idzik party, yet. People seem to be inferring some philosophy, convinced he's got this plan and it's going to play out at some future time. I'm gonna wait until I start seeing it actually play out before subscribing, that's all.

Can this be my sig?

I understand that he's looking for bargains but when the team has a crater-sized hole at CB and you've got tons of cap space you shouldn't go all conservative. Let's face it, Idizk fumbled the ball at the goal line when it came to the CB position. He could have looked like a genius with Darrelle Mevis. Trade him for a number one pick and then sign him back at a lower price than Revis was originally asking for. Sorry, but Idzik totally fumbled the ball on the goal line with that.

I completely understand your frustration.  I wish if he's gonna keep that make cap space to at least extend Wilk because the man deserve to get paid.  It'll at least be interesting to see how our team does with so many picks.  You saw that stat about Rex and the jets having only 13 picks in his first 3 years?  What a contrast this is.

I understand that he's looking for bargains but when the team has a crater-sized hole at CB and you've got tons of cap space you shouldn't go all conservative. Let's face it, Idizk fumbled the ball at the goal line when it came to the CB position. He could have looked like a genius with Darrelle Mevis. Trade him for a number one pick and then sign him back at a lower price than Revis was originally asking for. Sorry, but Idzik totally fumbled the ball on the goal line with that.

why sign Revis to 1 year deal at 12 M or whatever when we arent SB worthy this year. pats are. revis would just want a boatload in 2015.. idzik made right call here cause Jets werent close to SB worthy this year

Revis was never coming here.

Revis threw a temper tantrum and called Idzik a liar less than 12 months ago. Idzik don't play like that.

Revis took $4 million less to play for a Patriots team that promised to retool their offense and give him a chance to win a Superbowl. It was a compromise for both sides of that transaction. They pay up and get him for one year at $12 million, he takes a small step back in order to potentially be credited as the missing piece for Tom Brady's fourth and final Lombardi before he retires, essentially guaranteeing him negotiating leverage for the rest of his career.

A monkey could see that we were never getting him back.

why sign Revis to 1 year deal at 12 M or whatever when we arent SB worthy this year. pats are. revis would just want a boatload in 2015.. idzik made right call here cause Jets werent close to SB worthy this year

I'm fine with not getting Mevis, but would have been happy with any of the other CB's including second tier ones that were available. The fact that none were signed or any safeties is disturbing. Even if they draft one in the first there's still going to be a season or two until they are ready. Why not have a decent DB already in place for a couple of seasons

Revis was never coming here.

Revis threw a temper tantrum and called Idzik a liar less than 12 months ago. Idzik don't play like that.

Revis took $4 million less to play for a Patriots team that promised to retool their offense and give him a chance to win a Superbowl. It was a compromise for both sides of that transaction. They pay up and get him for one year at $12 million, he takes a small step back in order to potentially be credited as the missing piece for Tom Brady's fourth and final Lombardi before he retires, essentially guaranteeing him negotiating leverage for the rest of his career.

A monkey could see that we were never getting him back.

While I get the overall point of what you're saying, the bold is a tad bit disingenuous.  Revis didn't take $4 million less, the team who was scheduled to pay him that much cut him because they refused to pay it.  There is absolutely no evidence that any other team was willing to pay him close to that $16M.

It's possible he could have gotten a little more elsewhere, and what you suggested helped sway him towards the Pats, but there's nothing to suggest he would've been paid substantially more playing for a different team.  This is Revis we're talking about here, if anyone wanted him that badly and were willing to meet his ridiculous demands, they certainly could have bought him away from the Pats; but Idzik was never going to be that guy.  With that not being the case, Revis agreed to a one-year deal that guarantees him to be a FA next year when he'll try to get that contract he so desires again.

I'm fine with not getting Mevis, but would have been happy with any of the other CB's including second tier ones that were available. The fact that none were signed or any safeties is disturbing. Even if they draft one in the first there's still going to be a season or two until they are ready. Why not have a decent DB already in place for a couple of seasons

drfat or we will trade picks for one.. idzik (forget what woody says) is eyeing 2016 as year Jets make playoffs and make them for many many years after that. 2015 would be icing on cake

While I get the overall point of what you're saying, the bold is a tad bit disingenuous.  Revis didn't take $4 million less, the team who was scheduled to pay him that much cut him because they refused to pay it.  There is absolutely no evidence that any other team was willing to pay him close to that $16M.

It's possible he could have gotten a little more elsewhere, and what you suggested helped sway him towards the Pats, but there's nothing to suggest he would've been paid substantially more playing for a different team.  This is Revis we're talking about here, if anyone wanted him that badly and were willing to meet his ridiculous demands, they certainly could have bought him away from the Pats; but Idzik was never going to be that guy.  With that not being the case, Revis agreed to a one-year deal that guarantees him to be a FA next year when he'll try to get that contract he so desires again.

He was on the open market for like, 6 hours. Not exactly the actions of someone willing to hold out for a better offer.

Lets see how his second draft plays out before we annoint his strategy as working to building primarily through the draft.

Let's see hos it plays out before we annoit his strategy a failure. Let's not confuse ourselves here. We're not two players away from beating Denver or NE on the road.

That stat really is so telling.  13 picks in three years vs. 12 picks in this year alone.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's not bringing in a bunch of flashy free agents this year because he's trying to get more comp picks next year too.  Even if it eventually works out to be one more comp pick, that would still be more than in the past.  I like that strategy tbh.  Some teams always seem to have extra comp picks year after year, and we've essentially been shut out most years but we have four extra picks this year.  I really like how that worked out and I don't think Idzik is going to run the team differently.  I think he's going to try to get extra comp picks year after year.  That only helps the team.

Plenty of the guys that are considered "flashy free agents" around here would not count towards comp picks.  Desean Jackson, Revis, Steven Smith, Miles Austin, Demarcus Ware, Jared Allen were cut.  Those guys do not count towards comp picks at all.  One thing that might explain is why he let his own guys test the market.  They might get something back for Howard, though I doubt he sniffs offsetting Decker.  Cro, Holmes and Sanchez won't net us sh*t cause they were all overpaid and cut. 

This is a great strategy if you nail the draft. If you miss in the draft, this can be a really, really bad strategy. Time will tell. 12 picks certainly increases the odds on drafting well.

The best way to find 5 or 6 guys in the draft that can really help you is to draft 12 of them, not draft 5.

Archived