•  

Photo
- - - - -

Uniform #s have been settled. We can rest easy...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Steveg

Steveg

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

The first skirmish in the Green & White numbers wars is over as today we've learned that newly signed WR Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif will wear uniform No. 87 and TE Jeff Cumberlandicon-article-link.gif will shift from 87 to 85.

Decker wore 87 his first four pro seasons with the Broncos. Cumberland has been a Jet those same four seasons but has bounced around the mid-80s, wearing 86 from 2010-12 and 87 last season.

"I reached out to Jeff and asked him how dedicated he was to the number," Decker said after he came aboard as an unrestricted free agent two weeks ago. "I guess we are going to kind of negotiate what we are going to do with the number. Obviously, he has been there for his four-year tenure. Otherwise I will have to find a new home, a new number."

Obviously the negotiations were concluded successfully.

The other major determination is what number QB Michael Vickicon-article-link.gif will wear. Vick's been No. 7 all 13 of his pro seasons, but that of course is the digit that Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif put on his back for his rookie season as the Jets signalcaller last year.

Vick in a conference call last week said the Battle for Seven was over before a shot was fired.

"Geno is going to wear No. 7. I'm changing my number," Vick said. To what? "It's undecided. Who knows? I'm going to come up with something in the next week."

No word yet and in fact we may not know for a while. What can Vick possibly come up with? Maybe he's conferring with Prince on a symbol rather than a digit. We'll keep you posted.

#2 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 18,786 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

Cumberland is a nice little player, but he's no Wes Walker.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#3 Freemanm

Freemanm

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:14 PM

Good. Have they filled the hole at CB yet?

#4 eboozer

eboozer

2nd Year Veteran

• Banned
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationPa. by way of Hempstead

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

Scott Salmon ‏@ScottSalmon48 · 7m
Jeff Cumberland is making $25K for his #87 jersey, more than half the median yearly income for a family in the United States.

Nice chunk of change for Cumby!

Pro Bowl Caliber talent... UDFA Performer

#5 BroadwayJets

BroadwayJets

NFL Free Agent

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Scott Salmon ‏@ScottSalmon48 · 7m
Jeff Cumberland is making $25K for his #87 jersey, more than half the median yearly income for a family in the United States.

Nice chunk of change for Cumby!

and a steak!

new-york-jets-logo.jpg

#6 hoping4ASuperBowl

hoping4ASuperBowl

boombastic

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Good. Have they filled the hole at CB yet?

Yeah, SB here we come!  

http://profootballta...-with-the-jets/

Check out my work:
www.3dyagos.com

#7 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,309 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

Truth be told, outside of the defense, he's one of the players that I'm most excited about this year, should he put in a healthy season.  The coaching staff has been high on him since the draft and he's certainly shown flashes here and there. 

I know he's had some injuries since, but I forgot how impressive he was coming out of college. 

Cumberland: 6'4" 249 lbs. 4.45 forty, 35.5" vert, 9'10" broad jump, 4.39 20-yd shuttle, 6.89 3-cone.

Eric Ebron: 6'4" 250 lbs. 4.60 forty, 32" vert. 

Watkins: 6'0.5" 211 lbs. 4.43 forty, 34" vert, 10'6" broad jump, 4.34 20-yd shuttle, 6.95 3-cone. 

#8 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 26,925 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

Rob Moore? Chaz Schilens?  Henry Bailey?

I assume Vick will go all Matt Robinson.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#9 Sully80

Sully80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

New Jets wide receiver Eric Decker may be a wealthy man, but his desire to keep his favorite jersey number didn’t come cheap. The Daily News has learned that Decker, who signed a 5-year, $36.25 million deal at the start of free agency, agreed to pay new teammate Jeff Cumberland $25,000 and pick up the tab for a steak dinner to get his No. 87 jersey.

Cumberland wore No. 87 last season after wearing No. 86 for the first three seasons (2010-2012) of his career. Decker, whose new deal includes $15 million fully guaranteed in the first two years, knew that he’d have to haggle for the rights to get his number back.

"I reached out to Jeff and asked him how dedicated he was to the number,” Decker admitted at his introductory conference call with reporters a couple weeks ago. “We're going to negotiate what we're going to do with the number…. Obviously, he's been there for his four year-tenure. That's something that is up in the air. Maybe we can negotiate. Otherwise I'll have to find a new home and a new number."

Per NY Daily News

This kind of news makes you hate your job

#10 jgb

jgb

Darksider

• Members
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

i got into a fist fight in little league over #4 (lenny dykstra). boy that seems dumb in hindsight on many levels.

alg-lenny-dykstra-court-jpg.jpg

Edited by jgb, 01 April 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#11 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,011 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

Decker has higher # now than Cumberland,,,does that make him a Upper-Decker now? 

scaledphpserver108filen.jpg

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#12 Villain The Foe

Villain The Foe

Training Camp With The New York Jets

• Members
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

I wonder how much Geno's #7 will be going for. 

NYJetsScript.gif

#13 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationThe Himalayas

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Throwing in the steak dinner was a power move

#14 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 8,594 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

Throwing in the steak dinner was a power move

Good advertising for steak. I was gonna make bake ziti for dinner but now I want steak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users