One Man Wonders: Is Kyle Wilson being prepped for trade...?

Greenmerc03

With the signing of Dimitri Patterson today the Jets sure have a lot of cbs stockpiled now. With that being said.. I have a feeling that Kyle Wilson may be in trouble. They could be setting up to package our 1st, our own 4th and Wilson to move up to #8 selecting WR Mike Evans. I dunno if that would be equal value..but man that would be awesome. I think this is even more a possibility because Kyle Wilson could start on the Vikings.

With this signing today. The Jets sure have alot of cbs stockpiled now. With that being said.. I have a feeling that Kyle Wilson may be in trouble. They could be setting up to package our 1st, our own 4th and Wilson to move up to #8 selecting WR Mike Evans. I dunno if that would be equal value..but man that would be awesome. I think this is even more a possibility because Kyle Wilson could start on the Vikings.

Lmao.. I'll bet you a brand new authentic Wilkerson Jersey this doesn't happen.

I'd only be okay with it if we trade up for Watkins...

Lol..I mean yeah but THAT right there just isn't realistic. The Jets would have to give up way too much to get him @ #2 to be safe. John Idzik says he wants to "Build through the draft" so.. there's that. I think my initial scenario for Mike Evans at #8 while it may not be perfect..it's much more realistic.

With the signing of Dimitri Patterson today the Jets sure have a lot of cbs stockpiled now. With that being said.. I have a feeling that Kyle Wilson may be in trouble. They could be setting up to package our 1st, our own 4th and Wilson to move up to #8 selecting WR Mike Evans. I dunno if that would be equal value..but man that would be awesome. I think this is even more a possibility because Kyle Wilson could start on the Vikings.

dHiBJKi.gif

Lol..I mean yeah but THAT right there just isn't realistic. The Jets would have to give up way too much to get him @ #2 to be safe. John Idzik says he wants to "Build through the draft" so.. there's that. I think my initial scenario for Mike Evans at #8 while it may not be perfect..it's much more realistic.

Well there are scenarios where Watkins doesn't get taken by the Rams at 2, and could fall to the Raiders at 5 or possibly further. That would make it significantly less pricey, plus the depth of this year's draft will make it easier to trade up for less than chart value. I just don't think we should spend that much on Evans. Plus, if we trade away Wilson and we have Patterson in the slot we still need a legit starter across Milliner.

Well there are scenarios where Watkins doesn't get taken by the Rams at 2, and could fall to the Raiders at 5 or possibly further. That would make it significantly less pricey, plus the depth of this year's draft will make it easier to trade up for less than chart value. I just don't think we should spend that much on Evans. Plus, if we trade away Wilson and we have Patterson in the slot we still need a legit starter across Milliner.

If Wilson is traded then Darrin Walls will start opposite of Dee Milliner. Either way the jets will draft at least one cb in this draft at some point.

Not that I'm advocating trading up, I think it's a bad idea... but if we were to the only player I see us doing it for is Watkins.

I agree with you 100%. I am NOT for trading up at all. I'm one of the people who is actually excited that it seems we have a GM who has a plan that is worth sticking to without mortgaging the future and putting the team in cap hell again. It's not flashy but he is slowly building depth on the roster. I just wanted to get some members thoughts on Kyle Wilson's status really with all these cbs being brought in. I believe this is his contract year...

I agree with you 100%. I am NOT for trading up at all. I'm one of the people who is actually excited that it seems we have a GM who has a plan that is worth sticking to without mortgaging the future and putting the team in cap hell again. It's not flashy but he is slowly building depth on the roster. I just wanted to get some members thoughts on Kyle Wilson's status really with all these cbs being brought in. I believe this is his contract year...

I agree with you that Wilson's future with the Jets is starting to look bleak... Check out this mock done by Rang yesterdy, it has Watkins falling to #7.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/expert/rob-rang

If we trade up to #6 it wouldn't be significantly more than #8 and I'd much rather take a gamble on Watkins than Evans.

I agree with you that Wilson's future with the Jets is starting to look bleak... Check out this mock done by Rang yesterdy, it has Watkins falling to #7.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/expert/rob-rang

If we trade up to #6 it wouldn't be significantly more than #8 and I'd much rather take a gamble on Watkins than Evans.

Interesting...now in that scenario what do you think it would take to coax ATL for #6? They know we want Watkins and so you know they'd want to get over as much as possible.

Welcome to the board Greenmerc03.

Don't let any of the "Old Timer's" discourage you. They're like Congress... there should have been term limits long ago, but they cling to power, as their contempt for open discourse, paralyzes the country.

As far as trading up with Wilson for currency, I think there is enough value in the draft at the WR position to stay put. There may be a lot of bodies at the CB position, but a lot of question marks.... No sense weakening an already weak position to strengthen another area of weakness.

It will be curious to see what the Jets do with Wilson moving forward.... last yr. on his rookie deal. I could see Idzik hoping some other player can step up and take his position, and letting him walk in FA. I would hope to get a comp pick next yr. for him, but as I assume we will be big spenders next yr. in FA (89% rule) we won't get anything.

“Ideas are like legs: what good are they if you can't run with them, or spread them?”  Jarod Kintz

Lol. Kyle Wilson who can't do a decent job in the most cornerback friendly defensive scheme going, is somehow going to become trade bait? God bless Idzik if he can make that kind of a move.

You could have cut Wilson last month and he'd still be looking for work.

The idea of moving up to #8 or for whom aside, I don't think I'd be that shocked if we moved Wilson.  I question whether a team with a top 10 pick, who will have a top 10 pick in every round, will be so desperate for Kyle Wilson.  

The back & forth with madmike aside, I don't really like Wilson.  I'll bet there's a good chance Rex or Idzik or both don't like him that much either.  When you have to take a guy off the field completely because he's throwing a temper tantrum, in the form of committing penalties on purpose, that is an unreliable player.  Yes he's young and guys mature, but he wasn't a rookie.  

There's also the issue of his punt returning, where he was MIA or something on one punt, and fair catching everything or returning things for 2 yards on everything else.  In the rain and wind, Rex and/or Kotwica felt Wilson wasn't accomplishing any more than having literally no one back there.  However much anyone thought that was impossibly stupid to do a few times, it was Kyle Wilson that even made it seem not so crazy to some people on the Jets sideline.  

His higher ranking this past year aside, where he was allegedly a top-5 slot corner (a stat I haven't seen), he still isn't really all that, and hasn't lived up to his draft pick in any sense.  We've all seen the plays where his man is open and just flat-out drops an easy catch, or where the QB misfires.  Then out comes his Mutumbo finger as though he did anything to prevent the pass from being completed.  It's more than just obnoxious; it's obvious he screwed up his coverage and only blind luck saved us. 

We've brought in other kids, like the jumping bean from Iowa State, and Dowling if he could ever stay on the field, as well as an upcoming draft.  Wilson's a FA after the season anyway.  If we could get a mid-round pick next year, I bet Idzik pulls the trigger on moving Wilson before the season.  It might have to happen after the draft, though, from a CB-needy team who didn't get their man in the draft.  Or one who drafted a semi-project who they like but aren't confident in starting from day 1.  

Beyond that type of need, I don't see any teams giving up a decent pick in this year's draft or next year's for Wilson.  And unless we're getting something above a 5th rounder next year (which I still question that we could get), he has more value as the nickel corner for a year and let one of the other kids take his job away from him from competition (or from pulling Wilson after underperforming or going nuts mid-game again).  So it's more likely he plays out the year and then hits free agency.  Meanwhile if he does finally "get it" we'd certainly have the inside track on re-signing him.  But I think that's not going to happen and the team is just likely to move on from him after the season.

The idea of moving up to #8 or for whom aside, I don't think I'd be that shocked if we moved Wilson.  I question whether a team with a top 10 pick, who will have a top 10 pick in every round, will be so desperate for Kyle Wilson.  

The back & forth with madmike aside, I don't really like Wilson.  I'll bet there's a good chance Rex or Idzik or both don't like him that much either.  When you have to take a guy off the field completely because he's throwing a temper tantrum, in the form of committing penalties on purpose, that is an unreliable player.  Yes he's young and guys mature, but he wasn't a rookie.  

There's also the issue of his punt returning, where he was MIA or something on one punt, and fair catching everything or returning things for 2 yards on everything else.  In the rain and wind, Rex and/or Kotwica felt Wilson wasn't accomplishing any more than having literally no one back there.  However much anyone thought that was impossibly stupid to do a few times, it was Kyle Wilson that even made it seem not so crazy to some people on the Jets sideline.

His higher ranking this past year aside, where he was allegedly a top-5 slot corner (a stat I haven't seen), he still isn't really all that, and hasn't lived up to his draft pick in any sense.  We've all seen the plays where his man is open and just flat-out drops an easy catch, or where the QB misfires.  Then out comes his Mutumbo finger as though he did anything to prevent the pass from being completed.  It's more than just obnoxious; it's obvious he screwed up his coverage and only blind luck saved us. 

We've brought in other kids, like the jumping bean from Iowa State, and Dowling if he could ever stay on the field, as well as an upcoming draft.  Wilson's a FA after the season anyway.  If we could get a mid-round pick next year, I bet Idzik pulls the trigger on moving Wilson before the season.  It might have to happen after the draft, though, from a CB-needy team who didn't get their man in the draft.  Or one who drafted a semi-project who they like but aren't confident in starting from day 1.  

Beyond that type of need, I don't see any teams giving up a decent pick in this year's draft or next year's for Wilson.  And unless we're getting something above a 5th rounder next year (which I still question that we could get), he has more value as the nickel corner for a year and let one of the other kids take his job away from him from competition (or from pulling Wilson after underperforming or going nuts mid-game again).  So it's more likely he plays out the year and then hits free agency.  Meanwhile if he does finally "get it" we'd certainly have the inside track on re-signing him.  But I think that's not going to happen and the team is just likely to move on from him after the season.

That pretty much say's it all. This will probably be one of THE most important drafts in the past 10-15 years based on our talent level and what it could mean moving forward. The dearth of talent at so many positions is alarming. We desperately need to max out this draft.

uh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no

Whatever anyone thinks of Wilson, he's still probably the second best CB on the roster right now. He's more likely to be a starter this season than be traded.

He may very well be right now, but it's no slam dunk.  Patterson's not worse when healthy, and Milliner is the only iffy call if he doesn't miss a large part of the summer again, as well as part of the season. So this, combined with what is likely a lack of trade value, says he most likely stays for this last season.

If we can get a 4th I think he's gone.  Unless someone believes we'd trade a 4th to get him with 1 year left on his contract, if we had 3 of them.  Failing to trade him for a 4th is kind of the same thing.

Whatever anyone thinks of Wilson, he's still probably the second best CB on the roster right now. He's more likely to be a starter this season than be traded.

He needs to stick to the inside though. On the outside he is terrible. I think Lankster and Walls don't get enough credit for being solid.

That pretty much say's it all. This will probably be one of THE most important drafts in the past 10-15 years based on our talent level and what it could mean moving forward. The dearth of talent at so many positions is alarming. We desperately need to max out this draft.

I think that's the idea.  I think that was also the idea behind not picking up players who don't figure to be long-term fixtures in the '13 offseason (as well as moving Revis).  

What I'm curious to see is how we use them.  I don't mean what kind of players (or not just that, anyway).  I mean, does Idzik trade up? Does he trade a pick for next year's draft? Or does he even trade down should the value present itself?

12 draftees are not making the roster.  Are we going to make 12 picks and cut between 4-7 of them right away? Statistically one can't rely on more than 5 to make the cut, and we don't have a pair of 1st rounders this year to count as sure things among those illustrious 5-6.

Will be interesting to see how many players we actually draft this year.

I'll bet there's a good chance Rex or Idzik or both don't like him that much either.  When you have to take a guy off the field completely because he's throwing a temper tantrum, in the form of committing penalties on purpose, that is an unreliable player.  Yes he's young and guys mature, but he wasn't a rookie.  

If he is a top slot guy, then this is one place where PFF or whoever provided those metrics needs to pull the actuaries together and look at how they crunch the data because he's a piece of crap. If they can include dropped passes as catches for true QB ratings - they can include dropped passes or errant throws when a DB has been scorched to truly define him. 

Regarding his temper tantrum's - they don't bode for those that are good at their positions. Those that are less then good - should get traded (who would give us anything for him?) or sent away.

Wilson having anything to do with punts is frightening. 

And the accolades that have passed around here are for him in the slot or nickel - playing outside is out of the question which narrows his already slim value. 

Archived