Bills Acquire Mike Williams from Buccs for pick

CrazyCarl40

More trouble for Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Williams.

A spokeswoman for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office told NFL Media that Williams was stabbed in the left thigh with a kitchen knife at his residence in Tampa on Sunday afternoon. Eric Baylor, Williams' brother, was accused of the stabbing, and has turned himself in Sunday on charges of aggravated battery/domestic violence, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office added.

A spokesperson for St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa told NFL Media that Williams has been discharged from their care, but had no further information.

The Bucs released a statement on the matter:

"We are aware of the situation that occurred at the residence of Mike Williams and are working with him and the authorities to get additional information," the statement read. "While we have limited knowledge at this time, our primary concern is for the safety and well being of all involved. We will refrain from further comment until we can get a better understanding of the situation."

This becomes the latest troubling incident to involve the talented wide receiver, who signed a six-year, $40 million extension with the Bucs last year.

The prior Bucs regime voiced concerns about Williams' behavior while he recovered from a torn hamstring that cost him 10 games last season. In February, Williams pleaded not guilty to trespassing and criminal mischief charges related to an arrest in December.

New Bucs coach Lovie Smith said Williams has exhibited a "disturbing" pattern of behavior, leading to speculation the wideout could be cut.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336247/article/mike-williams-stabbed-in-thigh-released-from-hospital

Agree, very surprising.

I would have been very happy with the Jets trading a 6th for him, good player.

Not really. Huge contract, and had a torn hamstring last year. Torn hamstring is extremely painful and not easy to get rid of. Not to mention the stabbing of his thigh. Thats put his career at risk. I doubt he'll be the same again. I liked him as a #2 WR prior to the injuries.

Highly unrealistic. Same thing many said regarding the 2012 WR class.

Blackmon, Floyd, Kendell Wright, Alshon Jeffery, Rueben Randle, Ty Hilton, Chris Givens, Marvin Jones and Rod Streeter. Pretty decent WR draft with several 1k receivers.

Im glad we drafted two WRs from that draft...to bad we whiffed on Alshon and picked up White instead of Streeter.

Blackmon, Floyd, Kendell Wright, Alshon Jeffery, Rueben Randle, Ty Hilton, Chris Givens, Marvin Jones and Rod Streeter. Pretty decent WR draft with several 1k receivers.

Im glad we drafted two WRs from that draft...to bad we whiffed on Alshon and picked up White instead of Streeter.

It is fact that some of those guys were drafted not only in the second but first. Not even debatable. As for those drafted in the middle rounds only name that rings bells are Ruben, Hilton and Jones.

Then when we bring up the other bust from that deep class including Marvin McNutt, Dwight Jones, Tommy Streeter, Nick Toon, Ryan Broyles, Ryan Swope and Jeff Fuller. It just goes to show how unlikely it is to think your coming away with gold in the middle rounds.

You have to remember that some posters believe that every 4th to 7th round pick we will find star players.     its more then 100 to 1 to find a starter in those rounds.  

Look at it this way, if a team gets three starters from four drafts on a row then thats 12 starters on rookie contracts.  There are only 10 starting spots left and they should be filled by vets from prior drafts and FA's.   The rest of the draft is for subs and depth. 

Does not sound that hard to average 3 starters a year in the draft, but it is.  Very hard. 

The Jets have 12 draft picks and I would bet 4 to 5 wont make the team.

My point is, if the contract is not crazy you should trade 5 - 7 round picks on players that have been starters before.

You have to remember that some posters believe that every 4th to 7th round pick we will find star players. its more then 100 to 1 to find a starter in those rounds.

Look at it this way, if a team gets three starters from four drafts on a row then thats 12 starters on rookie contracts. There are only 10 starting spots left and they should be filled by vets from prior drafts and FA's. The rest of the draft is for subs and depth.

Does not sound that hard to average 3 starters a year in the draft, but it is. Very hard.

My point is, if the contract is not crazy you should trade 5 - 7 round picks on players that have been starters before.

1 in 100? Stupid Idzik and his picks

It is fact that some of those guys were drafted not only in the second but first. Not even debatable. As for those drafted in the middle rounds only name that rings bells are Ruben, Hilton and Jones.

Then when we bring up the other bust from that deep class including Marvin McNutt, Dwight Jones, Tommy Streeter, Nick Toon, Ryan Broyles, Ryan Swope and Jeff Fuller. It just goes to show how unlikely it is to think your coming away with gold in the middle rounds.

I don't think anyone is thinks they are getting "coming away with gold in the middle rounds". They may feel good about the value of the pick, but if Indy knew how Ty was going to be like, They wouldn't have waited that long to pick him. One of the drafts back in 2007 or something, no WRs were picked in the first. It just didn't have the talent teams perceived should go in the first. DJax was one of the first few WRs picked that year and the class did turn out to be decent. However, there weren't any players that were considered to be future superstars, but a lot of decent WRs.

See my word choices of "perceived" and "considered".

You have to remember that some posters believe that every 4th to 7th round pick we will find star players. its more then 100 to 1 to find a starter in those rounds.

Look at it this way, if a team gets three starters from four drafts on a row then thats 12 starters on rookie contracts. There are only 10 starting spots left and they should be filled by vets from prior drafts and FA's. The rest of the draft is for subs and depth.

Does not sound that hard to average 3 starters a year in the draft, but it is. Very hard.

Not to be a dick, but there's a handful of starters in those rounds selected every year. Whiles it's more difficult to find one in the fourth compared to the first, it's nowhere near the 100:1.

Not to be a dick, but there's a handful of starters in those rounds selected every year. Whiles it's more difficult to find one in the fourth compared to the first, it's nowhere near the 100:1.

32 each round so 128 picked.  I would bet there is not more then 2 "stars" out of those rounds every year.  some years only one some years none.     

So i will say 1 in 60    

I am not saying starters.  I am saying stars

32 each round so 128 picked.  I would bet there is not more then 2 "stars" out of those rounds every year.  some years only one some years none.     

So i will say 1 in 60    

I am not saying starters.  I am saying stars

Ahh that's my bad, I misread. 

You have to remember that some posters believe that every 4th to 7th round pick we will find star players.

Nobody believes this. Nobody has stated this. Nobody has even hinted at this.  

its more then 100 to 1 to find a starter in those rounds.

Huh? More than 100:1? This would mean that from rounds 4 through 6, for all 32 NFL teams, there will be only 1 starting player.

Unless this is a miraculously unprecedented and horrible draft, you are going to be dead wrong.

Look at it this way, if a team gets three starters from four drafts on a row then thats 12 starters on rookie contracts.  There are only 10 starting spots left and they should be filled by vets from prior drafts and FA's.   The rest of the draft is for subs and depth. 

Does not sound that hard to average 3 starters a year in the draft, but it is.  Very hard. 

The fewer picks one has, the fewer chances one has at landing a starter.

I don't think it's as hard as you're making it out to average 3 starters if you're making every pick and are acquiring extras (as we're doing for the 2nd straight year). And if we're not taking every pick, and are trading away any for veterans, then those veterans count as starters; it's intellectually dishonest to only count the picks used on college players. Just like when Tannenbaum traded picks for Holmes, Cromartie, Edwards, Woody, Jenkins, etc. Those players count as starters we came away with from that year's draft picks.

If the players who started last season stick as starters, then from the 2012 draft we're looking at:

1. Milliner

2. Richardson

3. Geno

4. Winters

5. Ivory

6. Bohanon

in a draft where we started out with 8 picks. That's 6 starters, including a quarterback. Maybe less, but also maybe more if one of the lower-drafted guards pans out.

Averaging 3 instant/rookie starters per year, with the added requirement that you're only talking about college players we're drafting, I would agree is very hard unless the pre-draft roster is terrible or has a number of holes or players they'd like to upgrade from (or players they envision letting go of soon). We certainly qualify for as a team who could use upgrades or holes filled at multiple positions. Given that, especially if this class lives up to its hype, coming away with less than 3 starters from our 12 picks would be a colossal failure on Idzik's part. Really we should come away with at least 4 starters from these 12 draft picks, whether they're drafted players or veterans we make a trade to acquire.

I do agree on your last point. That trade for Santonio, for example, was awesome use of a 5th round pick. Just don't guarantee him $20M+ the following season and it was a great trade. Should have taken the money and run on that one. And the unseen killer in re-signing him is that we'd have recouped more than that 5th rounder a year later, in the form of a compensatory pick, by not re-signing him. So net, trading for him should have cost us nothing. Get a productive Holmes - the reigning SB MVP - for $300K or so above the UDFA rookie minimum (with no signing bonus) for 1 season, minus the first 4 games; trade away a 5th in the 2010 draft; then get back a 3rd or 4th round pick in the 2012 draft. Money.

Nobody believes this. Nobody has stated this. Nobody has even hinted at this.  

Huh? More than 100:1? This would mean that from rounds 4 through 6, for all 32 NFL teams, there will be only 1 starting player.

Unless this is a miraculously unprecedented and horrible draft, you are going to be dead wrong.

The fewer picks one has, the fewer chances one has at landing a starter.

I don't think it's as hard as you're making it out to average 3 starters if you're making every pick and are acquiring extras (as we're doing for the 2nd straight year). And if we're not taking every pick, and are trading away any for veterans, then those veterans count as starters; it's intellectually dishonest to only count the picks used on college players. Just like when Tannenbaum traded picks for Holmes, Cromartie, Edwards, Woody, Jenkins, etc. Those players count as starters we came away with from that year's draft picks.

If the players who started last season stick as starters, then from the 2012 draft we're looking at:

1. Milliner

2. Richardson

3. Geno

4. Winters

5. Ivory

6. Bohanon

in a draft where we started out with 8 picks. That's 6 starters, including a quarterback. Maybe less, but also maybe more if one of the lower-drafted guards pans out.

Averaging 3 instant/rookie starters per year, with the added requirement that you're only talking about college players we're drafting, I would agree is very hard unless the pre-draft roster is terrible or has a number of holes or players they'd like to upgrade from (or players they envision letting go of soon). We certainly qualify for as a team who could use upgrades or holes filled at multiple positions. Given that, especially if this class lives up to its hype, coming away with less than 3 starters from our 12 picks would be a colossal failure on Idzik's part. Really we should come away with at least 4 starters from these 12 draft picks, whether they're drafted players or veterans we make a trade to acquire.

I do agree on your last point. That trade for Santonio, for example, was awesome use of a 5th round pick. Just don't guarantee him $20M+ the following season and it was a great trade. Should have taken the money and run on that one. And the unseen killer in re-signing him is that we'd have recouped more than that 5th rounder a year later, in the form of a compensatory pick, by not re-signing him. So net, trading for him should have cost us nothing. Get a productive Holmes - the reigning SB MVP - for $300K or so above the UDFA rookie minimum (with no signing bonus) for 1 season, minus the first 4 games; trade away a 5th in the 2010 draft; then get back a 3rd or 4th round pick in the 2012 draft. Money.

I said  "My point is, if the contract is not crazy you should trade 5 - 7 round picks on players that have been starters before"

My thinking was and is, you do build through the draft but when you get the opportunity to trade a late round pick for a starting quality player you should do it.   I just dont think you need to hang on to late round picks thinking they are all going to be starting level players. 

Which is why this post was in the Mike Williams topic.  I this this is a player you take a shot and trade a late round pick for. 

I said  "My point is, if the contract is not crazy you should trade 5 - 7 round picks on players that have been starters before"

My thinking was and is, you do build through the draft but when you get the opportunity to trade a late round pick for a starting quality player you should do it.   I just dont think you need to hang on to late round picks thinking they are all going to be starting level players. 

Which is why this post was in the Mike Williams topic.  I this this is a player you take a shot and trade a late round pick for. 

No it is not.  If his 2015 money ($7M) wasn't guaranteed, then I'd change my answer to yes. 

But then if not for that, he wouldn't be available for a 6th round pick (5th round pick from us, since Buffalo picks ahead of us and we'd have to beat their offer, not come in shy of it).

Archived