ESPN Insider: "Jets can Contend for AFC East Title"

Villain The Foe

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we grab a receiver in the draft and maybe grab CJ2K, and yes quarterback play obviously, I think people are seriously underestimating this offense going into next year.

Agree a Watkins or a Benjamin type WR along with CJ2K greatly improves this offense.

SOON everyone will realize that Geno actually has this.

I think so.  We've got the coaching staff, I'm liking the GM's approach, the talent is young with a very high ceiling, tons of draft picks...it's all on Geno.  If he takes the necessary steps forward, the Jets are good enough to beat anyone in the AFC when the D is doing its thing.

Meh, who knows. Idzik positioned the team well going into the draft. Depends who we end up with and at which point in which games Rex goes into dumbass mode. More importantly the AFC playoffs seem to be more dependent on how on or off their game Brady and Peyton are on any given Sunday. I'd put the odds of us competing for a playoff spot as OK and competing for a Super Bowl as not likely. JMO.

Cant expect SB this season, duh...team's still too young and about to get younger with an abundance of draft picks.  They'll still be asking a lot out of at least 3 rookies this season.  2015-2016, with Brady and Manning on their last leg...the Jets will be primed.  Assuming Idzik is smart enough to keep Rex around, which it seems he is.

This is all well and good but it doesn't really hone in on any realism. Like Vick isn't an average QB anymore and Geno was well below average last year. Tout the last four games all you want but it was inferior competition and they took the ball out of his throwing hand most of the time. Teams will pick up on the fact that neither of the QBs the Jets employ are very accurate and they will feed on it. There are still some decent building blocks in New York but until they get an actual QB that can be more than average, then it's all moot. I have a feeling the Jets will be looking for a few new QBs next season and probably in the first round.

Really? Vick I can even give you, but Geno outside of the month of november was average last year with no weapons outside of Kerley. And in December Geno Smith had the best QBR in the league outside of Peyton Manning, meaning that the rookie didnt end his last four games as a below average player, he ended it with the 2nd highest QBR in all of football with nothing more than Jeremy Kerley. If that doesnt hone in any type of realism then the only thing I can say is that you simply dont like the two QB's personally, but it has nothing to do with what actually happens on the football field. 

And as for Vick, the last time he was an at minimum average QB he was in Marty's system. The statement is quite realistic. 

I think so.  We've got the coaching staff, I'm liking the GM's approach, the talent is young with a very high ceiling, tons of draft picks...it's all on Geno.  If he takes the necessary steps forward, the Jets are good enough to beat anyone in the AFC when the D is doing its thing.

THEY HAVE NO CORNERS.  THE WIDE RECEIVERS FOR THE OTHER TEAM WILL ROAM THE FIELD UNMOLESTED ALL SEASON LONG.

:)

This is the most psyched for the draft I've been in a long time... with such a good core of talent already on the team, I'm really looking forward to seeing how all those picks are leveraged.

IMO, we really only have 1-2 gaping holes on the team. The rest we have good 'nuff players as stop gap. Most of what I read here daily is grossly exaggerated.

Im with you on that. I've always been stoked for the draft but the past few years he had so little draft picks it took away from the event. To be able to have 3 nights of drafting knowing that the Jets have 12 picks will be even more exciting to watch.

Im with you on that. I've always been stoked for the draft but the past few years he had so little draft picks it took away from the event. To be able to have 3 nights of drafting knowing that the Jets have 12 picks will be even more exciting to watch.

In the Tanny years, I got more psyched for free agency. I never expected Tanny to get us any worthwhile players outside of the first 2 rounds. The best thing Tanny brought to watching the draft was that moment where the chime went off and you heard "trade? trade?" then... "the New York Jets are now on the clock"...

Then they'd make the pick and you'd be like WTF?

ESPN is out of their god damned minds if they think the Jets contend for the East. If contending means being 3 games back they might have a shot.

Best cast this year is a Wild Card.

This may not be too far out of reach G.O.B. If the Jets can get another pass rusher (or If Antwan Barnes stays healthy), we win the turnover battle on the year and we put out a offense that can put up 21 to 24 ppg I think we can do it. We can spit the season with the pats, what needs to happen is that we sweep both the bills and the phins. If we do this the Jets can realistically win the division. 

One of the top positions we need to hit on with early success is we need a ballhawking safety. Everyone is concerned about corner, no...we need a free safety. We're good at SS. I like Antonio Allen. He can play the run and he can defend the best TE's in the game. We need a FS. 

In the Tanny years, I got more psyched for free agency. I never expected Tanny to get us any worthwhile players outside of the first 2 rounds. The best thing Tanny brought to watching the draft was that moment where the chime went off and you heard "trade? trade?" then... "the New York Jets are now on the clock"...

Then they'd make the pick and you'd be like WTF?

Lmao thats for sure true! lol. I was in a bar and literally began yelling at the TV when they pick Stephen Hill over Jeffery. When I heard "The Jets have traded up...and the Jets pick, WR....", I just knew we got Jeffery. When they said "Stephen Hill". I literally put my beer down and began ranting the F off at the screen. lol. 

Cant expect SB this season, duh...team's still too young and about to get younger with an abundance of draft picks.  They'll still be asking a lot out of at least 3 rookies this season.  2015-2016, with Brady and Manning on their last leg...the Jets will be primed.  Assuming Idzik is smart enough to keep Rex around, which it seems he is.

I don't think you realize that you just repeated everything I said.

The receiving positions and secondary are both weak, and the LBs and OL are questionable. I would've liked to see a little more attention paid to the former in free agency to allow a true BAP approach in May. I feel right now that they need to draft starting caliber players at WR and CB.

It's nice to read such a positive article about Rex, though. And on JN of all places? Nice.

:winking0001:

Whats cool about this is that the Jets D is always doing its thing. Most of the time the D has to make up for the O's shortcomings. Imagine if the O simply doesnt turn the ball over. Im not even talking about scoring on every drive, but keeping the defense out of positions where the O turned the ball over on the Jets 40 yard line. The Jets arent far away. If we can simply cut the turnovers out and give the defense the entire field to work with they will eventually cause the opposing team to punt and give the O another chance to score. Cutting out just the turnovers should give us 2 extra wins. Thats simply "addition by subtraction". 

It seems like Idzik smarts has been underestimated. People have said that he really wanted Rex out yet when he had the opportunity he extended him. I think Idzik see's what you see brother. The guy is smarter than what the general Jet fan population gives him credit for. Their problem isnt really Idzik either, its having the patience to see his plan through. Thats what happens when you lose for so many decades. You have the impulse of the "right now". I think this is how Tanny was able to stay around for so long. Tanny did give you that dose of "splash" to the vein. I'll give him that much. lol

Whats cool about this is that the Jets D is always doing its thing. Most of the time the D has to make up for the O's shortcomings. Imagine if the O simply doesnt turn the ball over. Im not even talking about scoring on every drive, but keeping the defense out of positions where the O turned the ball over on the Jets 40 yard line. The Jets arent far away. If we can simply cut the turnovers out and give the defense the entire field to work with they will eventually cause the opposing team to punt and give the O another chance to score. Cutting out just the turnovers should give us 2 extra wins. Thats simply "addition by subtraction". 

Based on the last five years, this is totally doable under Rex.

This goes back to what I have always said. I would love to see what a Rex Ryan team does with an above average QB.

And these articles are scary because whenever the world is high on the JETS usually they tank.

sh*t, I'd love to see what a Rex Ryan team can do with a top 10 QB. F just average. 

Rex. Ryan.

So. What.

LOL.  Rex can D.  But he cannot O, and his game decisions are meh.  And there is still a shortage of talent.  And the Jets will still lose to teams the Pats will never lose to.  Maybe, maybe they make the playoffs if things were to break right (for break right, read: Geno wakes up one morning and he has been transfigured into the god Appollo.  Or the Jets running game puts up 2000 yards next year.)  Then, maybe.  Another maybe, if Rex could just design a defense that actually got turnovers, that would be huge.

Really? Vick I can even give you, but Geno outside of the month of november was average last year with no weapons outside of Kerley. And in December Geno Smith had the best QBR in the league outside of Peyton Manning, meaning that the rookie didnt end his last four games as a below average player, he ended it with the 2nd highest QBR in all of football with nothing more than Jeremy Kerley. If that doesnt hone in any type of realism then the only thing I can say is that you simply dont like the two QB's personally, but it has nothing to do with what actually happens on the football field. 

And as for Vick, the last time he was an at minimum average QB he was in Marty's system. The statement is quite realistic. 

I don't like them personally? I don't even know them. I have seen when they can do on the field. They just aren't good enough. Period. I'm not going to go on a diatribe, but neither one is going to be able to take this team to a AFC East title, nonetheless the playoffs.

The Jets will be in the market for a new starting QB next year. Book it.

Archived