ESPN Insider: "Jets can Contend for AFC East Title"

Villain The Foe

I don't like them personally? I don't even know them. I have seen when they can do on the field. They just aren't good enough. Period. I'm not going to go on a diatribe, but neither one is going to be able to take this team to a AFC East title, nonetheless the playoffs.

The Jets will be in the market for a new starting QB next year. Book it.

Yes, personally meaning that you dont like them football players. I dont like Kobe Bryant as a basketball player, doesnt mean that he isnt good. I dont have to know Kobe Bryant to say that. 

You dont know if they arent good enough. Geno was a rookie with no weapons. He will be a 1 year starter with some solid weapons around him now. To say that he isnt good enough when the situation was rather obvious only leads me to the conclusion that you personally dont like him. 

I even said that I can give you Vick. His ceiling has been hit, yes....but he's arguably the best back up in the league right now which is what he needs to be. What I seen from Geno the month of December give me confidence to believe that he can build on it. Your presenting your pessimism like its some certainty. Everything presented points in the upward direction for the Jets and their offense in particular. They cant get worse than what they were at the Skill positions, they added Decker, This will be the majority of players 2nd year in the system (including Geno) so we should be past the trial by error stage. 

To make it seem like its impossible for Geno to be "average" based on his performance last year is rather "crazy". 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, personally meaning that you dont like them football players. I dont like Kobe Bryant as a basketball player, doesnt mean that he isnt good. I dont have to know Kobe Bryant to say that.

You dont know if they arent good enough. Geno was a rookie with no weapons. He will be a 1 year starter with some solid weapons around him now. To say that he isnt good enough when the situation was rather obvious only leads me to the conclusion that you personally dont like him.

I even said that I can give you Vick. His ceiling has been hit, yes....but he's arguably the best back up in the league right now which is what he needs to be. What I seen from Geno the month of December give me confidence to believe that he can build on it. Your presenting your pessimism like its some certainty. Everything presented points in the upward direction for the Jets and their offense in particular. They cant get worse than what they were at the Skill positions, they added Decker, This will be the majority of players 2nd year in the system (including Geno) so we should be past the trial by error stage.

To make it seem like its impossible for Geno to be "average" based on his performance last year is rather "crazy".

Boy you like to hear yourself type. It doesn't matter how good the skill positions are if you're missing on throws as badly as Geno did last season. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't see it happening. For the Jets to succeed they need above average QB play. I'm not sure either guy is going. To be that. We'll see.

Boy you like to hear yourself type. It doesn't matter how good the skill positions are if you're missing on throws as badly as Geno did last season. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't see it happening. For the Jets to succeed they need above average QB play. I'm not sure either guy is going. To be that. We'll see.

lol, I do like to hear myself type. I'll admit that. Nothing you said above is false. Geno had some very poor throws. However, take the good with the bad, the kid made some excellent throws last year as well that were absolutely on the dime. Geno had no burners on the field, he had no RB to present the threat of a dump off to the flat so passing lanes were very congested for the rookie. My point is this, Geno had his worst month of his career in November (kerley injured), then he has statistically (QBR) the 2nd best month not out of rookie QB's, but of all QB's in the league (Kerley back in line up). All im saying is that Geno can be a better QB with better weapons. Decker is better than Holmes, Ford is better than Hill, Kerley is still here, we may sign CJ next week, the possibility for Lee, Cooks, Seferian-Jenkins etc to enter this line up makes for a very interesting 2nd year for Geno. 

The fact that I love to hear myself type doesnt mean I love to negate the hard facts, which you've just listed. However, there was more to Geno last year than just poor throws. Im only saying that you're omitting the latter then basing a conclusion on it. 

lol, I do like to hear myself type. I'll admit that. Nothing you said above is false. Geno had some very poor throws. However, take the good with the bad, the kid made some excellent throws last year as well that were absolutely on the dime. Geno had no burners on the field, he had no RB to present the threat of a dump off to the flat so passing lanes were very congested for the rookie. My point is this, Geno had his worst month of his career in November (kerley injured), then he has statistically (QBR) the 2nd best month not out of rookie QB's, but of all QB's in the league (Kerley back in line up). All im saying is that Geno can be a better QB with better weapons. Decker is better than Holmes, Ford is better than Hill, Kerley is still here, we may sign CJ next week, the possibility for Lee, Cooks, Seferian-Jenkins etc to enter this line up makes for a very interesting 2nd year for Geno.

The fact that I love to hear myself type doesnt mean I love to negate the hard facts, which you've just listed. However, there was more to Geno last year than just poor throws. Im only saying that you're omitting the latter then basing a conclusion on it.

Yes. The weapons were garbage last season. Geno was too. Getting Geno better players around him is going to raise expectation levels and I don't think he'll meet them. There is a reason he dropped in the draft. There is a reason he wasn't going to win the job last offseason. There is a reason the brought in Vick. He's just not good enough. And we'll see that play out in training camp and during the season.

Yes. The weapons were garbage last season. Geno was too. Getting Geno better players around him is going to raise expectation levels and I don't think he'll meet them. There is a reason he dropped in the draft. There is a reason he wasn't going to win the job last offseason. There is a reason the brought in Vick. He's just not good enough. And we'll see that play out in training camp and during the season.

I just don't understand how you could defend Mark for years and then write the book on a kid after one season. Time will tell and you may be right, but I think people are so terribly jaded by waiting for Mark to develop that they need to see instant success from anyone else we bring in.

I just don't understand how you could defend Mark for years and then write the book on a kid after one season. Time will tell and you may be right, but I think people are so terribly jaded by waiting for Mark to develop that they need to see instant success from anyone else we bring in.

Fool me once shame on me. Fool me twice, we won't get fooled again.

In the Tanny years, I got more psyched for free agency. I never expected Tanny to get us any worthwhile players outside of the first 2 rounds. The best thing Tanny brought to watching the draft was that moment where the chime went off and you heard "trade? trade?" then... "the New York Jets are now on the clock"...

Then they'd make the pick and you'd be like WTF?

Yeah, like that time they drafted that guy Revised after a trade,

So dumb.

Should have known he was a greedy prick.

If all of these things were reason to conclude that he wasnt "good enough" then the Jets made a poor decision in drafting him in the 2nd round to begin with. It was a wasted pick if thats the case. Dude, Aaron Rodgers a guy who was expected to go #1 in the 2005 draft fell to #24 for a reason. The reason was stupid as Rodgers ultimately shown. Plenty of players have fell in the draft and proved that it was an utterly stupid decision by all NFL teams except the team that finally drafted the player. How about players who should have fell but didnt? How about players who should have never been drafted into the league yet went top 10? Vernon Gholston anyone?

Repeatedly saying that "there is a reason" is nothing more than an indictment by you but provides nothing concrete because ultimately he was a rookie with no weapons. 

Yeah, like that time they drafted that guy Revised after a trade,

So dumb.

Should have known he was a greedy prick.

1 time. 

1 time in how many years the guy the traded up for was good. The rest? 

Now, I'm not trying to complain.... I'm patiently waiting for the draft and have purposely toned down my criticism, but do you think, if we get 5 starting caliber players from this draft in say the next 3 years, when can we compete for a title? We will assume Geno & Milliner cont. to improve each yr.

Would you say in 3 years? I'm just curious. I'm very excited for this Draft as well. It kills me I'll be on a plain to Spain during Rd. 1

Remember, this is an honest, no agenda question. :shake:

If we draft a offensive playmaker & a defensive playmaker. We can compete this year if the rest of our team continues to improve.

We finished strong last year, we were ready to pick up our play but unfortunately we lost 1 to many games. But we're better already.

We need to cause more turnovers, & score more touchdowns.

If all of these things were reason to conclude that he wasnt "good enough" then the Jets made a poor decision in drafting him in the 2nd round to begin with. It was a wasted pick if thats the case. Dude, Aaron Rodgers a guy who was expected to go #1 in the 2005 draft fell to #24 for a reason. The reason was stupid as Rodgers ultimately shown. Plenty of players have fell in the draft and proved that it was an utterly stupid decision by all NFL teams except the team that finally drafted the player. How about players who should have fell but didnt? How about players who should have never been drafted into the league yet went top 10? Vernon Gholston anyone?

Repeatedly saying that "there is a reason" is nothing more than an indictment by you but provides nothing concrete because ultimately he was a rookie with no weapons. 

I think bringing in Vick is concrete.

This is not 2010(?), when the Jets brought in Brunell as a mentor for Sanchez.  Brunell had no chance at the starting job. 

Vick is being brought in at the very least to light a fire under Geno and at the worst to be the Jets starter.

I mean 5 million for a back-up?  That is kind of a lot.

Just because a player overcomes the reason they dropped does not mean the reason was stupid.  There are tons of risk/reward calculations that have to be made with each pick and very few can't miss players.  Even the best evaluators get skunked. 

I think bringing in Vick is concrete.

This is not 2010(?), when the Jets brought in Brunell as a mentor for Sanchez.  Brunell had no chance at the starting job. 

Vick is being brought in at the very least to light a fire under Geno and at the worst to be the Jets starter.

I mean 5 million for a back-up?  That is kind of a lot.

I'm in total agreement. I don't think Vick is washed up at all. I don't mind 5mil for a back up, as long as he is the best back up in the league with a legit ability to start. 

Just because a player overcomes the reason they dropped does not mean the reason was stupid.  There are tons of risk/reward calculations that have to be made with each pick and very few can't miss players.  Even the best evaluators get skunked. 

And just because a player drops doesnt mean the player isn't good enough. That's the point I'm making ultimately

1 time. 

1 time in how many years the guy the traded up for was good. The rest? 

Harris was a good trade-up.  I didn't like using 3 picks on him but that draft sucked.  Coming away from it with two very good starters (though Harris fell off a cliff, unfortunately) was a success.  Plus we also got DeVito after the draft.  Our 7th round pick (Stuckey) was good enough to be considered some value as part of the trade compensation in the Braylon trade.

Truth is Tanny had a better draft that year than it seems.  Look at what was available after the first 50 or so players were off the board.  You can cherry-pick a handful of good ones, but that draft was sucky.  If there was a draft to trade up in, that was it.  Perfect type of draft for Tannenbaum, really.

• 4 months later...

Would wager some money that the Jets will run over the Raiders, go for over 200 yards on the ground, and hold a bad offense to almost nothing.

Instead let's revisit this week 2 when they face a Packers team that can pass but has a crap defense. That will tell us a lot about how far this team could go.

Archived