NFL.com: Jets One of Most Improved Offenses

Villain The Foe

NFL.com: Jets One of Most Improved Offenses

Posted 22 hours ago

120725-on-the-inside-with-eric-allen-heaEric AllenSr. Reporter/Director, Internet ProgrammingEmail @eallenjets On the Inside

•  
  •  

Last season, the Jets finished 29th in scoring (18.1 points per game), 31st in passing (183.2 yards per game) and 25th in total offense (318.1 ypg).  But they have made a number of moves in free agency to bolster Marty Mornhinweg’s unit and NFL.com’s Chris Wesseling believes they are one of the five-most improved offenses since the end of 2013 campaign. 

jets-additions-fa.jpg

3. New York Jets
Additions: Michael VickEric DeckerJacoby FordBreno Giacomini

Vick adds legitimacy to Marty Mornhinweg's offense. The QB's injury history is less of a concern with Geno Smithas a capable backup with potential. Don't be surprised if Decker produces the best statistical season by a Jets wide receiver since Laveranues Coles' glory days. Ford is an intriguing flier if he's finally over foot and knee injuries. I can't get this dominant 2010 performance out of my mind, when Ford racked up 306 all-purpose yards in an overtime victory -- followed up by 316 yards two weeks later.

The next step is adding speed in the form of Chris Johnson, who is expected to be released by the Titans on Friday or very early Monday morning. The Jets widely are viewed as the favorites for his services.

EA TakeawaysThe Jets signed Vick to push Geno Smith.  John Idzik’s mantra is competition and the Green & White got better by adding the top QB on the market.  Coles had a pair of true stints with the Jets and his glory days in New York were the 2002 and ’06 seasons as he averaged 90 catches, 1,181 yards and 6 TDs.  Can Decker come close to duplicating the production he had the past two seasons in Denver when he averaged 86 catches, 1,175 yards and 12 TDs?  The Jets don’t figure to be done adding to the wide receiver position yet with 12 draft selections.  Ford was a low risk move and the sprinter has the speed to make teams pay — both on special teams and on offense. The Titans released the explosive Johnson and CJ2K will certainly draw plenty of attention on the open market.

Articles like this are silly before you see the product.  On paper the Jets have improved because on paper the Jets had one of the worst offenses in the league last season. Signing Decker immediately improved the team on paper, but until we see the way the offense operates in game situations, this is silly. Especially before the draft.

This article also assumes that Vick is the starter and that Geno is a capable back-up. I see it more the other way around. If Vick is the starter, the Jets are in big trouble in 2014 and the future.

They really better improve a lot on offense. I am sick of this organization sticking Rex with garbage offense every year. We have one of the greatest defensive minds in the history of the NFL and we keep sticking him with crap offenses. Get it done Idzik and Rex will reward us with the SB trophy we so badly desire!

This is actually true. But other then d Jack, and josh mccown there really weren't many offensive upgrades for teams. The raiders most likely had the best offensive FA

No one takes "The Raidahs" seriously anymore. And even if they have a good year this year and make the playoffs, they're eventually going to run into cap problems with the 25 free agents they gave ridiculous contracts to and will have to blow the team up. 

I would dread being a Raiders fan right now. 

Decker is a very good WR, but he also had the benefit of Peyton Manning last year, as well as other teams putting their best CBs on Welker. I hope he does well, we'll see

He's getting paid like a higher-end #2, not even an ultra-high-end #2, and certainly not like a stud #1.  He should be fine.  If we gave him $10M/year then that would have been idiocy.

He was productive with Kyle Orton in the limited time he had with him.  It appears if they didn't switch to Tebow he might have had very similar #s to what he had with Manning and a productive Thomas (even more than Welker; I don't think anyone was putting a smaller slot corner type on Decker much, unless that's all they had).

He should be fine, but if anyone's expecting near 1400 yards they're going to be disappointed. 

he gets 10 Mil for 1 year. This year. (7.5 bonus, 2.5 base)

That's not $10M/year then, is it.  $10M in one year is not $10M per year.  

Hell, if you want to be really ridiculous, then his cap number for this one year is only $4M.  But his deal isn't for $4M/year any more than it's for $10M/year.

Troublemaker.

Decker is a very good WR, but he also had the benefit of Peyton Manning last year, as well as other teams putting their best CBs on Welker. I hope he does well, we'll see

best CB on welker? haha

That's not $10M/year then, is it.  $10M in one year is not $10M per year.  

Hell, if you want to be really ridiculous, then his cap number for this one year is only $4M.  But his deal isn't for $4M/year any more than it's for $10M/year.

Troublemaker.

Don't mind bit, he went to the Revis school of "up front money no longer means anything once I have it".

Archived