Star Wars VII Has Begun Filming

RutgersJetFan

Star Wars: Episode VII Has Already Begun Filming

Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn said filming of Episode VII in the popular sci-fi franchise has already begun, but he added casting has been the greatest difficulty in getting the latest Star Wars launched

The new Star Wars movie is already being filmed and most of the cast for the latest installment—Episode VII—has already been chosen, said Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn.

Horn, whose studio is producing the film, said of the cast for the upcoming Star Wars movie, due in 2015, “We have a lot of them… We’re just not completely done yet,” The Hollywood Reporter reports. Horn added casting has been the greatest difficulty in getting the latest Star Wars launched. Speculation has surrounded casting for the movie for some time, with rumors flying that Adam Driver of HBO’s Girls will play the villain in the new Star Wars installment and reports of talks with Lupita Nyong’o, who starred in 12 Years a Slave, as a female lead.

But in response to further questions about the cast, Horn adopted a Yoda voice. “Patience, you must have,” he said.

The screenplay for the film has been completed, and was written by J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan following an early draft by Michael Arndt.

Horn said the film will be released in December 2015.

stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect.gif

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cynics and nonbelievers, all of you.

tTzCaRK.gif

"Cynics and nonbelievers, all of you. This new trilogy has got me as hard as a diamond in an ice storm" ~ Younger, more naive RJF circa 1999.

Jar Jar and Hayden did unrectifiable damage to me. Irreparable, unforgivable damage.

"Cynics and nonbelievers, all of you. This new trilogy has got me as hard as a diamond in an ice storm" ~ Younger, more naive RJF circa 1999.

Jar Jar and Hayden did unrectifiable damage to me. Irreparable, unforgivable damage.

Phantom Menace is horrible, I'll still watch it for the pod race and light saber fight at the end. Though not on the same level as IV-VI, and nothing will probably ever compare to Empire, II and III have their moments, particularly the second half of III which is quite good.

I don't see VII-IX missing like I-III. There's actually oversight from the studio (as opposed to Lucas working autonomously and secretively on almost everything), Abrams was the perfect choice for this, and Han is back. Even if it's not amazing, the likelihood of it being bad is probably low.

Of course I'm way too big of a fan boy to be objective, but the whole cynical internet movie prediction expert-guy thing is so played out in 2014 anyways.

Phantom Menace is horrible, I'll still watch it for the pod race and light saber fight at the end. Though not on the same level as IV-VI, and nothing will probably ever compare to Empire, II and III have their moments, particularly the second half of III which is quite good.

I don't see VII-IX missing like I-III. There's actually oversight from the studio (as opposed to Lucas working autonomously and secretively on almost everything), Abrams was the perfect choice for this, and Han is back. Even if it's not amazing, the likelihood of it being bad is probably low.

Of course I'm way too big of a fan boy to be objective, but the whole cynical internet movie prediction expert-guy thing is so played out in 2014 anyways.

Agreed. I'm not coming from a place where I think it's going to suck just because it's new or that I have a better direction that I feel it should go in. It's that i'm trying to moderate my expectations a bit more this time.  Three of the last dozen or so movies that I was totally geeked out to see were Phantom Menace, Clone Wars and Crystal skull, they hurt. Thankfully Peter Jackson and LOTRs came through at the right time. You're right though, Revenge did have some pretty solid spots, I just have a hard time getting over the Jar Jar fiasco and then of course, f*cking Shia Labeouf in the Crystal Skull.  I'm just praying the studios don't go through with the Bradley Cooper reboot of Indiana Jones. 

I love that Han will be back in the new ones and I'm hoping Hamill can lose some god damned weight and come back for a cameo. I was reading some interviews with Hamill from 30 or so years ago and he was saying that Lucas would often talk about him being in 7-9 in 20+ years in a small Obi Wan role, which would certainly be interesting.  It also just shows the foresight and imagination that Lucas and these guys have, it blows my mind sometimes. 

Agreed. I'm not coming from a place where I think it's going to suck just because it's new or that I have a better direction that I feel it should go in. It's that i'm trying to moderate my expectations a bit more this time.  Three of the last dozen or so movies that I was totally geeked out to see were Phantom Menace, Clone Wars and Crystal skull, they hurt. Thankfully Peter Jackson and LOTRs came through at the right time. You're right though, Revenge did have some pretty solid spots, I just have a hard time getting over the Jar Jar fiasco and then of course, f*cking Shia Labeouf in the Crystal Skull.  I'm just praying the studios don't go through with the Bradley Cooper reboot of Indiana Jones. 

I love that Han will be back in the new ones and I'm hoping Hamill can lose some god damned weight and come back for a cameo. I was reading some interviews with Hamill from 30 or so years ago and he was saying that Lucas would often talk about him being in 7-9 in 20+ years in a small Obi Wan role, which would certainly be interesting.  It also just shows the foresight and imagination that Lucas and these guys have, it blows my mind sometimes. 

The thing is that Disney has an insane amount riding on the new trilogy being good, and they're not a company that's in the habit of screwing up franchises. People forget that this isn't Lucas plugging away in a cave with no feedback all over again. He sold everything and is really just an on-call adviser now. There's a reason that the first 2 and 1/2 parts of the recent trilogy are awful and that's really the reason. Disney is even sending the comics back to Marvel so they can take advantage of their writers. By all measures so far it looks like they're not ******* around.

I was excited about this when I first heard about it, but then when I heard J.J. Abrams was directing, my proverbial boner wilted significantly.

I had no opinion on him either way before, but I feel like he really dropped the ball on the Star Trek reboots by completely ignoring the established timelines and canon with a jerk-off, Michael-Bay-style "kewl 'splosions and WTF is character arc" approach that absolutely missed the cerebral aura that made the franchise a beloved success for 40-odd years. Not to mention the fact that the wanton and indiscriminate scientific inaccuracies completely took away all believability--and Star Trek has always been pretty good about doing their homework and at least being plausible with their technology and science-y moments.

That said, I'm admittedly more of a "Trekkie" than I am a "Warsie" so if Abrams completely jizzes all over the new Star Wars it won't bother me as much. Just get ready for some possible alternate timelines or black hole sci-fi cliche horse crap. Oh, and lots of lens flare.

06b59a982c29c4e8de1acfb16a5ae9f267c613d2

I was excited about this when I first heard about it, but then when I heard J.J. Abrams was directing, my proverbial boner wilted significantly.

I had no opinion on him either way before, but I feel like he really dropped the ball on the Star Trek reboots by completely ignoring the established timelines and canon with a jerk-off, Michael-Bay-style "kewl 'splosions and WTF is character arc" approach that absolutely missed the cerebral aura that made the franchise a beloved success for 40-odd years. Not to mention the fact that the wanton and indiscriminate scientific inaccuracies completely took away all believability--and Star Trek has always been pretty good about doing their homework and at least being plausible with their technology and science-y moments.

That said, I'm admittedly more of a "Trekkie" than I am a "Warsie" so if Abrams completely jizzes all over the new Star Wars it won't bother me as much. Just get ready for some possible alternate timelines or black hole sci-fi cliche horse crap. Oh, and lots of lens flare.

06b59a982c29c4e8de1acfb16a5ae9f267c613d2

I agree, but come to a different conclusion for Star Wars. Star Trek has always been social commentary, and Abrams removed a lot of that.    Since Star Wars never had a social agenda, I think Abrams will bring these movies back.  SW started out gritty and realistic, with about 15% devoted to 'the force'.  Since then, light sabers and muppets have become a boil on the ass of the franchise.  Abrams will burn it off, and balance will be restored in the galaxy.

I agree, but come to a different conclusion for Star Wars. Star Trek has always been social commentary, and Abrams removed a lot of that.    Since Star Wars never had a social agenda, I think Abrams will bring these movies back.  SW started out gritty and realistic, with about 15% devoted to 'the force'.  Since then, light sabers and muppets have become a boil on the ass of the franchise.  Abrams will burn it off, and balance will be restored in the galaxy.

You could be right; I hope you are.

I know I sound like "Cliche Dissenting Internet Guy" when it comes to this stuff, but I do think Abrams has a chance at doing a good job with the franchise. I mean, the bar's been set pretty low. He can't do much worse than Jar Jar Binks and a backflipping Yoda.

0294a36bfbd063a4eeeeacef9656a8873a96057f

You could be right; I hope you are.

I know I sound like "Cliche Dissenting Internet Guy" when it comes to this stuff, but I do think Abrams has a chance at doing a good job with the franchise. I mean, the bar's been set pretty low. He can't do much worse than Jar Jar Binks and a backflipping Yoda.

Changing Star Trek to an adventure film was kinda bad, but it's precisely what Star Wars needs. George Lucas has good intentions, but he's Richard Simmons with a movie camera.

I enjoyed the star trek movies as "popcorn fun movies"

yes they aren't breaking any new ground exploring the nature of humanity using the backdrop of space, but it was fun

abrams has said his intentions for trek was to entertain both the fanboys and fans who knew nothing about it

I thought the reference to uhura not having a first name was clever, for instance

I enjoyed the star trek movies as "popcorn fun movies"

yes they aren't breaking any new ground exploring the nature of humanity using the backdrop of space, but it was fun

abrams has said his intentions for trek was to entertain both the fanboys and fans who knew nothing about it

I thought the reference to uhura not having a first name was clever, for instance

I thought the way he brought them all together in the first one was definitely clever, and it was cool seeing the Kobayashi Moru. How he kept Cumberpatch as Khan a secret for the sequel in today's age is nothing short of a miracle, but it was a really great surprise.

I thought the way he brought them all together in the first one was definitely clever, and it was cool seeing the Kobayashi Moru. How he kept Cumberpatch as Khan a secret for the sequel in today's age is nothing short of a miracle, but it was a really great surprise.

the kobayashi moru is like the holy grail of trek

we can only hope he gifts us some jedi academy stuff.  not some 5 year olds wearing target helmets, but the trials

the kobayashi moru is like the holy grail of trek

we can only hope he gifts us some jedi academy stuff.  not some 5 year olds wearing target helmets, but the trials

I think he's jumping right into the late teenage/early 20s years of Han and Luke's kids. That's not only based on the casting rumors for the Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker, but also based on the fact that Hamill and Ford are old and it wouldn't be very plausible if they were shown with babies. I think with three-three hour movies, by the end of the second one he should be able to do the transition to Darth Caedus.

I think he's jumping right into the late teenage/early 20s years of Han and Luke's kids. That's not only based on the casting rumors for the Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker, but also based on the fact that Hamill and Ford are old and it wouldn't be very plausible if they were shown with babies. I think with three-three hour movies, by the end of the second one he should be able to do the transition to Darth Caedus.

wow.  impressed I am.  I wonder if we will get a "pointlessly gigantic ventilation shaft for someone to fall into" from abrams as an homage...lol

tumblr_m6tbhbCSxA1qdcfc3o1_500_zpsdf425a

That's because he lied about it for a months, specifically stating that Cumberbatch wasn't going to be Khan. It was only a surprise because he flat out denied it. I never was a Trekie, so it didn't really matter to me, but I'm sure there were many people annoyed by it.

Archived