Star Wars VII Has Begun Filming

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, what's the back story here. I saw the last trailer and Vader helmet is crushed. Does this story take place after Vader is dead or something? I tried asking this question on Reddit, and got flamed and down voted to oblivion.  Also, the cloaked guy with the robot hand next to R2D2 in the trailer, is that Luke?

So, what's the back story here. I saw the last trailer and Vader helmet is crushed. Does this story take place after Vader is dead or something? I tried asking this question on Reddit, and got flamed and down voted to oblivion.  Also, the cloaked guy with the robot hand next to R2D2 in the trailer, is that Luke?

I believe vaders mask was burned in a funeral pyre, and the new sith somehow go his hands on it and is using it as a symbol or whatever

I believe the figure is luke

ok the whole marketing campaign has been a disney masterpiece.  I've watched that trailer about 30 times and bought tix this morning.  good thing I did because it's now sold out Fri and Sat at pretty much every theater in a 20 mile radius.

wow.

Just a thought, but why don't we all just go into the movie not knowing, and be totally cool with that?

Just a thought, but why don't we all just go into the movie not knowing, and be totally cool with that?

So, during the trailer last night my wife was making fun of me... she could see the goosebumps on my arms and the back of my neck. She saw my eyes get watery when I refused to blink or breathe.

I've done everything I can to avoid learning anything pivotal, or even remotely telling, about this movie. I know about the original cast members, obviously. I saw the trailer they played at SXSW, but other than that I'd been successful in avoiding just about everything... I even managed to not learn Kylo Ren's name until yesterday. I consider that an achievement in our information flooded world, especially with all the time I spend on a computer.

I was explaining this to coworkers today, since the first hour of the day was lost to chatter about the trailer and everyone trying to prove they were more fanboy than the next... and he kind of didn't get why I'd want to be in the dark. It conflicted with the notion that a "true fan" should want to inundate himself with everything.

I tried to explain... given how badly the prequels were ****ed up, I have absolute confidence that every, single son-of-a-bitch working on this film is going to go the extra mile to make it not suck. So, when I sit down in the theatre, I want to let it wash over me and bring me back to being a kid. I've got nothing to prove to anyone about how much I love this sh*t. I just want to be taken back to my childhood and blown away. I want the ******* magic... and overloading myself with tidbits and spoilers prevents that. At least for me.

So, during the trailer last night my wife was making fun of me... she could see the goosebumps on my arms and the back of my neck. She saw my eyes get watery when I refused to blink or breathe.

I've done everything I can to avoid learning anything pivotal, or even remotely telling, about this movie. I know about the original cast members, obviously. I saw the trailer they played at SXSW, but other than that I'd been successful in avoiding just about everything... I even managed to not learn Kylo Ren's name until yesterday. I consider that an achievement in our information flooded world, especially with all the time I spend on a computer.

I was explaining this to coworkers today, since the first hour of the day was lost to chatter about the trailer and everyone trying to prove they were more fanboy than the next... and he kind of didn't get why I'd want to be in the dark. It conflicted with the notion that a "true fan" should want to inundate himself with everything.

I tried to explain... given how badly the prequels were ****ed up, I have absolute confidence that every, single son-of-a-bitch working on this film is going to go the extra mile to make it not suck. So, when I sit down in the theatre, I want to let it wash over me and bring me back to being a kid. I've got nothing to prove to anyone about how much I love this sh*t. I just want to be taken back to my childhood and blown away. I want the ******* magic... and overloading myself with tidbits and spoilers prevents that. At least for me.

I've been following the basic stuff because I just do, but I stop short of spoilers and trying to guess what's what. Why bother? Why ruin the surprise? Part of the magic of the original trilogy was being shocked that Vader was Anakin. Why wouldn't you be interested in replicating that and holding it sacred?

Site after site after site trying to land spoilers and figure out every little detail. Everyone's talking about how they have more questions now after the trailer. Yeah no sh*t, it's a trailer, that's what it is supposed to do.

I've been following the basic stuff because I just do, but I stop short of spoilers and trying to guess what's what. Why bother? Why ruin the surprise? Part of the magic of the original trilogy was being shocked that Vader was Anakin. Why wouldn't you be interested in replicating that and holding it sacred?

Site after site after site trying to land spoilers and figure out every little detail. Everyone's talking about how they have more questions now after the trailer. Yeah no sh*t, it's a trailer, that's what it is supposed to do.

Yea, exactly. It makes me sad, but today for some people it seemed more about trying to come up with "hot takes" on figuring it all out, or boasting about what showtimes they got tickets for. To me, it's about those goosebumps. 

The only thing I'm trying to figure out is how to get my parents tickets to the same showtime my wife and I have, and how much it would traumatize my 2 year old if we brought her. In my heart, I so badly want to share this with her, but she's about 6 years away from this being appropriate, hahahaha... she absolutely loves this stuff though. The kid calls me Daddy Vader... says that she is Yoda (pronounced DOH-dah), my dog is R2 (pronounced Na-Na-DEE-doo), and my wife is Chewie (pronounced KOO-bacca).

It's priceless. 

Yea, exactly. It makes me sad, but today for some people it seemed more about trying to come up with "hot takes" on figuring it all out, or boasting about what showtimes they got tickets for. To me, it's about those goosebumps. 

The only thing I'm trying to figure out is how to get my parents tickets to the same showtime my wife and I have, and how much it would traumatize my 2 year old if we brought her. In my heart, I so badly want to share this with her, but she's about 6 years away from this being appropriate, hahahaha... she absolutely loves this stuff though. The kid calls me Daddy Vader... says that she is Yoda (pronounced DOH-dah), my dog is R2 (pronounced Na-Na-DEE-doo), and my wife is Chewie (pronounced KOO-bacca).

It's priceless. 

Don't do it haha...  as fathers we create this perfect scenario where our 2-8 year old will enjoy something we hold dear but it rarely ends up that way.  This is going to be a 2 hour + movie.  About 30 min in she'll be fidgeting and talking loudly (because as you know that's what 2 year olds do) and you'll be mortified that she's putting a damper not only on your time, but anyone within ear shot. 

First time I brought my son (who was 6 at the time) to Jets training camp he laid on the ground and whined about when we're leaving.  Really annoyed the hell out of me but I took deep breaths and remembered he's not supposed to be all that into football at 6.  I decided to wait him out and just let him watch me, watching the games.  It worked as now he's 11 and this is the first year he's really gotten into it.  It's taken years but I think I've finally created a future Jet fanatic.

It's priceless. 

I know when I'm at the movies, I find myself looking around and thinking: "You know what this theater is missing? A loud, screaming infant."

Don't do it haha...  as fathers we create this perfect scenario where our 2-8 year old will enjoy something we hold dear but it rarely ends up that way.  This is going to be a 2 hour + movie.  About 30 min in she'll be fidgeting and talking loudly (because as you know that's what 2 year olds do) and you'll be mortified that she's putting a damper not only on your time, but anyone within ear shot. 

First time I brought my son (who was 6 at the time) to Jets training camp he laid on the ground and whined about when we're leaving.  Really annoyed the hell out of me but I took deep breaths and remembered he's not supposed to be all that into football at 6.  I decided to wait him out and just let him watch me, watching the games.  It worked as now he's 11 and this is the first year he's really gotten into it.  It's taken years but I think I've finally created a future Jet fanatic.

Someone should call child protection services on you.  ;)

Like I28, I have barely been paying attention to anything Star Wars.  I did watch the last 5 minutes of that god awful football game just to watch the trailer.

IMHO it was excellent.  It looks to be well done.  I am curious about the storyline that bridges Episode VI to VII after Han confirming the stories are true.. 

I know when I'm at the movies, I find myself looking around and thinking: "You know what this theater is missing? A loud, screaming infant."

I'm not actually considering taking her. I just used this to contrast what I'm thinking vs. those trying to figure it all out.

the thought of a parent getting a look at RJF alone in the front row, 60 oz of diet coke on his right and a bottle of hand lotion on his left, and deciding 'let's sit here' with their kids is funny though...

I'm not actually considering taking her. I just used this to contrast what I'm thinking vs. those trying to figure it all out.

the thought of a parent getting a look at RJF alone in the front row, 60 oz of diet coke on his right and a bottle of hand lotion on his left, and deciding 'let's sit here' with their kids is funny though...

All the theatres here have changed to those new comfy leather recliners.  I honestly have not stayed awake for an entire movie sitting in one.  Im am such an old turd.

My wife would die of laughter, that's for damn sure.

IMHO it was excellent.  It looks to be well done.  I am curious about the storyline that bridges Episode VI to VII after Han confirming the stories are true.. 

I think we know that story already. The Jedi were killed off at the end of III, 20 years pass and then A New Hope happens. IV-VI happens over the course of 4 years, and Force Awakens is happening 30 years after the events of Return of the Jedi. So that's 54 years between the elimination of the Jedi by Palpatine and the beginning of VII. That's a long time, perfectly reasonable to see how across an entire galaxy, things can turn more into stories and legends over more than half a century.

We know that story already. The Jedi were killed off at the end of III, 20 years pass and then A New Hope happens. IV-VI happens over the course of 4 years, and Force Awakens is happening 30 years after the events of Return of the Jedi. So that's 54 years between the elimination of the Jedi by Palpatine and the beginning of VII. That's a long time, perfectly reasonable to see how across an entire galaxy, things can turn more into stories and legends over more than half a century.

Especially since they don't have Facebook to find out about things.

Especially since they don't have Facebook to find out about things.

I explained that to the wife last night (knows nothing about Star Wars) and she goes:

Her: "But why wouldn't there be photos and stuff as proof? I don't get it, they have all the space ships and holograms but they didn't take any photographs?"

Me: "YOU SHUT UP."

I explained that to the wife last night (knows nothing about Star Wars) and she goes:

Her: "But why wouldn't there be photos and stuff as proof? I don't get it, they have all the space ships and holograms but they didn't take any photographs?"

lol

I saw on reddit that the lightsaber 6S is actually going to have a built-in 30 megapixel camera.

My wife, who is in her 40s, just saw Episode III for the first time.  When she said she never saw it, I was like, "what rock did you crawl out from under...oh CT...never mind".  And then she hit me.  ;)

I think we know that story already. The Jedi were killed off at the end of III, 20 years pass and then A New Hope happens. IV-VI happens over the course of 4 years, and Force Awakens is happening 30 years after the events of Return of the Jedi. So that's 54 years between the elimination of the Jedi by Palpatine and the beginning of VII. That's a long time, perfectly reasonable to see how across an entire galaxy, things can turn more into stories and legends over more than half a century.

You are probably right.

My impression after watching the trailer was something akin to the Stargate movie, reading and writing was forbidden so no history of Jedi's and the rebel alliance.

1)it's 30 years after the events in return of the Jedi.  If you remember at the end of the movie Luke is burning Vader's body in a pit and the helmet is there.

2) yes

ok the whole marketing campaign has been a disney masterpiece.  I've watched that trailer about 30 times and bought tix this morning.  good thing I did because it's now sold out Fri and Sat at pretty much every theater in a 20 mile radius.

wow.

JJ cuts the best movie previews.  If you remember the previews for the 2009 Star Trek reboot those are some of the best teasers and previews ever.

I'm not a Lost fan and I hated Super 8 but JJ did a phenomenal job on Star Trek and he appears to be killing it here.

I am going to cheer and scream for the first appearance of luke, han a leia and whoever else I damn well please.  I am going opening night, it will be super packed, and very loud

More power to you.  I think I would want to kill someone if I did that.  :)

This franchise did ONE good movie - Empire strikes back. Why are people still getting excited?

oh you.  I was born in 67 so I was 10 when IV came out, 13 for empire and 16 for jedi.  star wars is my religion.  Empire is the only movie I have ever seen more than once in the theaters, I think it was 6 times, maybe 7.  I had all the action figures and my son now has a lightsaber that costs more than I care to admit, lol. Its like football or baseball, you pass it onto your kids.

its a cultural thing, a relive your childhood thing for millions of people. 

Archived