Star Wars VII Has Begun Filming

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2 boys will be exactly the same ages when this movie will be out (4 & 7) as my brother and I were when my Dad took us to see Star Wars in 1977 (Yes, I am a Prequel Denier LOL).

Both of my boys are already big Star Wars fans, and its just unbelieveable to me the way the timing of this is working out. It makes me happy. LOL.

I can not wait.

My 2 boys will be exactly the same ages when this movie will be out (4 & 7) as my brother and I were when my Dad took us to see Star Wars in 1977 (Yes, I am a Prequel Denier LOL).

My wife, crazily enough and despite how much she has to deal with my obsession, has never seen the original trilogy all the way through. Told her we can definitely watch them all together, and then I can just tell her what happens in I and II, and if she really wants we can sit through III. But there's no way in hell I can ever sit through Menace or Clones ever again. I tried watching them again for the first time in forever when the blu rays dropped, and they really are as bad as we all remember them.

III is still good though. Especially the second half. The effects still hold up quite well too.

Both of my boys are already big Star Wars fans, and its just unbelieveable to me the way the timing of this is working out. It makes me happy. LOL.

I can not wait.

that's great you will be able to take your kids to see this.  I was 2 when ROTJ so as far as real Star Wars movies go I didn't get to see them in the theater if you don't count those poser rereleases Lucas did in the late 90's which was the original trilogy with a couple extra wookies CGI'd in.

I don't hate the prequels as much as most people do.  Were they good movies?  No but they had good individual scenes like Yoda fighting Sidious or the battle over Coruscant at the beginning of part 3.

All these comic book marvel/DC movies coming out every week now are basically just rehashes of Lucas's prequels.  They are all origin story, green screen and CGI.

My wife, crazily enough and despite how much she has to deal with my obsession, has never seen the original trilogy all the way through. Told her we can definitely watch them all together, and then I can just tell her what happens in I and II, and if she really wants we can sit through III. But there's no way in hell I can ever sit through Menace or Clones ever again. I tried watching them again for the first time in forever when the blu rays dropped, and they really are as bad as we all remember them.

III is still good though. Especially the second half. The effects still hold up quite well too.

Some of the dialogue in the prequels was just painful. When Obi Wan tells Padme he saw Anikan killing "younglings" its so bad I laughed the first time I saw it. It wasn't Ewan MacGregor's fault. The dialogue was so bad there was no way to deliver it well. 

The Prequels were so poorly conceived, planned, and executed its embarrassing. The Prequels should have had Kenobi as the primary character. The Clone Wars should have been a war of Jedi Knights and military AGAINST a clone Army. The Jedi should not have been in Robes like Kenobi was wearing in hiding on Tatooine, it made no sense.

Anakin Skywalker should have been a starpilot (one of the best in the galaxy) for the military who was a gifted warrior that Kenobi took notice of. Like it was inferred in IV...by Kenobi! LOL.

And Anakin should have been led down a path to the Dark Side while following Kenobi into a conflict with the Sith Lord behind the scenes of the war.

No Trade Federation. No senatorial debatea. No midichlorians. No Teenage mutant ninja Yoda. No horrible, ham-handed and Ill conceived love story. "I don't like sand......". Ugh. 

Those movies were so bad, and the only way to watch them is by parsing a few parts of them together into a single movie about Obi Wan Kenobi. 

But I digress.....

The Prequels were so poorly conceived, planned, and executed its embarrassing. The Prequels should have had Kenobi as the primary character. The Clone Wars should have been a war of Jedi Knights and military AGAINST a clone Army. The Jedi should not have been in Robes like Kenobi was wearing in hiding on Tatooine, it made no sense.

Anakin Skywalker should have been a starpilot (one of the best in the galaxy) for the military who was a gifted warrior that Kenobi took notice of. Like it was inferred in IV...by Kenobi! LOL.

And Anakin should have been led down a path to the Dark Side while following Kenobi into a conflict with the Sith Lord behind the scenes of the war.

No Trade Federation. No senatorial debatea. No midichlorians. No Teenage mutant ninja Yoda. No horrible, ham-handed and Ill conceived love story. "I don't like sand......". Ugh. 

Those movies were so bad, and the only way to watch them is by parsing a few parts of them together into a single movie about Obi Wan Kenobi. 

But I digress.....

Not to mention the fact that the Darth Vader who cuts off Luke's hand in Empire, right before telling him he ****ed his mother, was viciously evil.

The prequels made him a whiny bitch who was easily conned into turning to the dark side because the Emperor convinced him good and evil were based on circumstance. 

But I digress.....

the prequels had already been done as comics in the late 70's and 80's and featured Obi Wan and an adult Anakin and were titled "Fall of The Republic" 

Lucas's main mistake was not sticking with that material and instead just trying to cash in by making Ep 1 a kids movie with a kid Anakin to sell toys etc.  

Not to mention the fact that the Darth Vader who cuts off Luke's hand in Empire, right before telling him he ****ed his mother, was viciously evil.

The prequels made him a whiny bitch who was easily conned into turning to the dark side because the Emperor convinced him good and evil were based on circumstance. 

To offer some perspective on that, I disagree. That is one aspect of the story that Lucas not only kept from the original trilogy, but kept it consistent with the spirit of how the Sith work.

First, Palpatine has to be the one who turns Vader. If he doesn't, Vader being his apprentice doesn't make any sense in IV-VI.

Second, if you recall throughout V and VI, what continuously haunts Luke are the visions of his friends and family being in trouble, facing death, and his inability to always be there to save them. Palpatine preys on this in arguing that his friends are not his real friends anyways, and they were doomed from the start; but that does not and has never mattered because his rightful place has always been at Vader's side. The Dark Side offers him an opportunity to have things as they should rightfully be.

This is exactly how Palpatine turned Vader. By tricking him into believing that the Dark Side offered Anakin an opportunity to save his mother; since, like Luke, he was not able to be there to save her. But that doesn't really matter, because his rightful place is by Palpatine's side, and the Dark Side offers him an opportunity to bring her back and have the best of both worlds, and have things as they should rightfully be.

It's the same story, really. And Palpatine is the same guy with the same tricks in Return of the Jedi, the only difference is Anakin bites and Luke doesn't. It's kind of how the story has to go to make any sense and be consistent. It's not how all Sith have been turned, but it's the way Palpatine does it.

To offer some perspective on that, I disagree. That is one aspect of the story that Lucas not only kept from the original trilogy, but kept it consistent with the spirit of how the Sith work.

First, Palpatine has to be the one who turns Vader. If he doesn't, Vader being his apprentice doesn't make any sense in IV-VI.

Second, if you recall throughout V and VI, what continuously haunts Luke are the visions of his friends and family being in trouble, facing death, and his inability to always be there to save them. Palpatine preys on this in arguing that his friends are not his real friends anyways, and they were doomed from the start; but that does not and has never mattered because his rightful place has always been at Vader's side. The Dark Side offers him an opportunity to have things as they should rightfully be.

This is exactly how Palpatine turned Vader. By tricking him into believing that the Dark Side offered Anakin an opportunity to save his mother; since, like Luke, he was not able to be there to save her. But that doesn't really matter, because his rightful place is by Palpatine's side, and the Dark Side offers him an opportunity to bring her back and have the best of both worlds, and have things as they should rightfully be.

It's the same story, really. And Palpatine is the same guy with the same tricks in Return of the Jedi, the only difference is Anakin bites and Luke doesn't. It's kind of how the story has to go to make any sense and be consistent. It's not how all Sith have been turned, but it's the way Palpatine does it.

So you're saying the Baller Darth Vader of Empire is the one out of character. That at his core, Vader is a emo bitch. 

But I digress.....

I do agree with some of this. Making I and II about a bunch of trade disputes that nobody cares about grew old very quickly. I think Lucas wanted to show how the Empire and Rebel Alliance came to be so divided, but he forgot that nobody really ever asked for the backstory to that.

I still think that much of III is superb. The final fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin holds up very well per today's standards, and it's the one part of the prequels where Christianson's acting is bearable. And seeing Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine again was and is still awesome.

I've always thought the main problem with the story is that he waited too long. He should have had Anakin turn in II, then give us a few surprises in III. Maybe a young Lando or some Han backstory or something. It's hard to say for sure without seeing it put into practice, but the entire trilogy of prequels is just so drawn out with tons of characters that we never cared about (excepting Mace), and I think part of the reason people don't look at III fondly is because he took way too long to get there

All of this is on top of the fact that nothing matched up aesthetically in any of the prequels to the original trilogy. We know now just how huge that is, because what has endeared all of us to VII so quickly is the fact that it just looks like Star Wars again.

I do agree with some of this. Making I and II about a bunch of trade disputes that nobody cares about grew old very quickly. I think Lucas wanted to show how the Empire and Rebel Alliance came to be so divided, but he forgot that nobody really ever asked for the backstory to that.

I still think that much of III is superb. The final fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin holds up very well per today's standards, and it's the one part of the prequels where Christianson's acting is bearable. And seeing Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine again was and is still awesome.

I've always thought the main problem with the story is that he waited too long. He should have had Anakin turn in II, then give us a few surprises in III. Maybe a young Lando or some Han backstory or something. It's hard to say for sure without seeing it put into practice, but the entire trilogy of prequels is just so drawn out with tons of characters that we never cared about (excepting Mace), and I think part of the reason people don't look at III fondly is because he took way too long to get there

All of this is on top of the fact that nothing matched up aesthetically in any of the prequels to the original trilogy. We know now just how huge that is, because what has endeared all of us to VII so quickly is the fact that it just looks like Star Wars again.

I agree on Ian McDiarmid in III. Dude was amazing in that movie. 

It was nice to see Chewbacca in III but not giving us at least a glimpse or even a mention of a young Han Solo really felt like we were getting cheated out of something. 

Does Lucas not understand the love for that character?

The prequels disregard if not contradict the original movies so many times and at so many relevant points its laughable...ySqv56d.jpg

Could you imagine a different set of movies, how awesome it would have been if towards the end of the first movie in the Prequel trilogy, after a huge and bloody Battle, General Kenobi is introduced to the heroic young Pilot who turned the tide of the battle..., "General Kenobi, this is the pilot you requested to report to you." "An honor to meet you, sir. I'm Anakin Skywalker....."

Damn.

It was nice to see Chewbacca in III but not giving us at least a glimpse or even a mention of a young Han Solo really felt like we were getting cheated out of something. 

Honestly I think it's because Lucas did them all on his own. People forget that Lucas didn't conceive the entire trilogy on his own, a few other guys had heavy input on things (Lawrence Kasdan and Leigh Brackett in particular). The prequels were essentially just Lucas locked in a room writing and later doing everything himself. It's actually one of the best examples you can use when arguing the pitfalls of not having colleagues around who will be critical of you.

Chewbacca had no business in that movie...none. 

I'm saying Anakin was an emo bitch. Vader is and will always be a baller, until that cocksucker Luke brought him back for a few minutes.

So true.  The dialogue in episode 2 between him and Amidala was awful.  Plus, in episode 1 she is a queen, and he's a kid, and in episode 2 they are the same age. 

I love Star Wars Rebels, watch them with my boys.  They did an episode where Vadar popped in (still James Earl Jones) and he shows up in his Tie Fighter and takes on a whole host of Rebels, and just tears them all up.  Anakin should have been more of that, not "no, I love you so much..."

So true.  The dialogue in episode 2 between him and Amidala was awful.  Plus, in episode 1 she is a queen, and he's a kid, and in episode 2 they are the same age. 

I love Star Wars Rebels, watch them with my boys.  They did an episode where Vadar popped in (still James Earl Jones) and he shows up in his Tie Fighter and takes on a whole host of Rebels, and just tears them all up.  Anakin should have been more of that, not "no, I love you so much..."

Clone Wars is ******* fantastic too. That was the Anakin we should have seen. The Nightsisters trilogy could have been one of the movies now that I think about it.

Here, another inconsistency that drives me crazy:

Owen Lars, not a Jedi. But, wears the same type of robes Ben Kenobi wears in hiding on Tatooine. And then, all of a sudden, rural moisture farmer-wear from bumble**** Tatooine is the official garb of the Jedi.

It's like Lucas had a stroke and forgot the movies that made him a Billionaire.

Owen_Luke.jpg

so the ladyfriend ticked me off this weekend.  she wanted to see the original trilogy after hearing about all the hoopla last week.

I was prepared to cut her some slack on the original because it is slow moving and some of the effects are Atari-ish by todays standards.  What I didn't expect was her saying "I don't understand why this is so popular" a few times into it, and passing out 3/4ths of the way through.  She fell asleep during the planning stages of the attack on the Death Star so I stopped the movie figuring we'd watch the end later.  When she awoke from her slumber she said lets finish it so I started it up again.  About 20 minutes later she was in REM sleep.  When she opened her eyes I just explained what happened in the last 10 minutes because I was quite annoyed by that point and didn't want to turn it on a 3rd time.

She said sorry but she just thinks the movie is "boring as sh-t".  I tried to explain to her the nostalgia factor and how the movie brings millions back to the most innocent time in their lives.  I said it definitely looks dated but to concentrate on the story and characters.  I only got a half-hearted "yeah" in response.  Super annoyed at that point.

She requested to watch Empire SB and I assured her she'd enjoy it more.  I explained that this was universally considered the best of the 6 films and now that the foundation has been established in IV, they moved things right along in V.  Things started out poorly when she outright laughed when the Wampa first struck Luke.  She thought it looked funny...  ugh...  I tried to ignore it but about 30 min later heard her mutter to the dog, "well this one is as boring as the first one, huh Tubbs". 

At that point I said a silent prayer to the lord Jesus Christ asking that he give me the strength to keep my mouth shut and not ruin the night.  I was about to lose it.  In the end I couldn't keep quiet but kept it to a shot across the bow by saying "this coming from someone who thinks the Bachelor is must see TV".  Thankfully she got that I was heating up and zipped it.

Finally about half way into it I could see the light come on and while she didn't think it was great, she started paying attention, asking questions, and truly watching.  Towards the end there was a snafu when she asked "how much is left" but I gritted my teeth, said about 15 min, and kept watching.  When it was over she gave a lukewarm review (no pun intended) by saying "well it was better than the first" and saying she wants to watch the last one.  I'm sure she'll like that one best because of the fu-king Ewoks.

All in all I'm glad she's watching them so she'll be ready for Dec but there were a dozen times in that 4 hour span that I wanted to suplex her.

so the ladyfriend ticked me off this weekend.  she wanted to see the original trilogy after hearing about all the hoopla last week.

I was prepared to cut her some slack on the original because it is slow moving and some of the effects are Atari-ish by todays standards.  What I didn't expect was her saying "I don't understand why this is so popular" a few times into it, and passing out 3/4ths of the way through.  She fell asleep during the planning stages of the attack on the Death Star so I stopped the movie figuring we'd watch the end later.  When she awoke from her slumber she said lets finish it so I started it up again.  About 20 minutes later she was in REM sleep.  When she opened her eyes I just explained what happened in the last 10 minutes because I was quite annoyed by that point and didn't want to turn it on a 3rd time.

She said sorry but she just thinks the movie is "boring as sh-t".  I tried to explain to her the nostalgia factor and how the movie brings millions back to the most innocent time in their lives.  I said it definitely looks dated but to concentrate on the story and characters.  I only got a half-hearted "yeah" in response.  Super annoyed at that point.

She requested to watch Empire SB and I assured her she'd enjoy it more.  I explained that this was universally considered the best of the 6 films and now that the foundation has been established in IV, they moved things right along in V.  Things started out poorly when she outright laughed when the Wampa first struck Luke.  She thought it looked funny...  ugh...  I tried to ignore it but about 30 min later heard her mutter to the dog, "well this one is as boring as the first one, huh Tubbs". 

At that point I said a silent prayer to the lord Jesus Christ asking that he give me the strength to keep my mouth shut and not ruin the night.  I was about to lose it.  In the end I couldn't keep quiet but kept it to a shot across the bow by saying "this coming from someone who thinks the Bachelor is must see TV".  Thankfully she got that I was heating up and zipped it.

Finally about half way into it I could see the light come on and while she didn't think it was great, she started paying attention, asking questions, and truly watching.  Towards the end there was a snafu when she asked "how much is left" but I gritted my teeth, said about 15 min, and kept watching.  When it was over she gave a lukewarm review (no pun intended) by saying "well it was better than the first" and saying she wants to watch the last one.  I'm sure she'll like that one best because of the fu-king Ewoks.

All in all I'm glad she's watching them so she'll be ready for Dec but there were a dozen times in that 4 hour span that I wanted to suplex her.

This one doesn't sound like a keeper.

star wars is for 10 year old boys.    we just want to re-live it.   don't be too hard on her.  my wife hates sci-fi and fantasy so I watch it with the kids

star wars is for 10 year old boys.    we just want to re-live it.   don't be too hard on her.  my wife hates sci-fi and fantasy so I watch it with the kids

True but normally her tv and movie viewing align with mine...  Lost, Walking Dead, new Star Trek movies, The Strain, Homeland, The Martian etc etc..  Doesn't go for many Rom Coms and the Bachelor and Once Upon a Time are the only 2 things she watches catered to females.

I think it's because over the course of her life she's heard so many people talk about Star Wars like it's a religion.  It couldn't live up to those impossible standards.

Clone Wars is ******* fantastic too. That was the Anakin we should have seen. The Nightsisters trilogy could have been one of the movies now that I think about it.

Did you see the last final season of Clone Wars that is just on Netflix?  Very Yoda-Centric, really good.

Oh, and you are totally correct.  Anakin in those is intense, powerful, rash, a little angry, likable, but you can see the anger under neath.  How is that a cartoon can nail the character, and a 200 million dollar movie can't?

My god get your sh*t together brother!  You don't have a woman in your life to watch Star Wars with you!  Star Wars is for you, and you alone.  The woman is there to dress like "Jaba's slave" Leiah and give you back rubs and blow jobs and cook you steak while you watch.  She' not there for ******* commentary or input, Christ man!!!!

Did you see the last final season of Clone Wars that is just on Netflix?  Very Yoda-Centric, really good.

Oh, and you are totally correct.  Anakin in those is intense, powerful, rash, a little angry, likable, but you can see the anger under neath.  How is that a cartoon can nail the character, and a 200 million dollar movie can't?

The cartoon was more adult than the movies. Bizarre.

• 2 weeks later...

Good on everyone involved to get this done. And good on JJ Abrams for doing this for a second time. 

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/forcefordaniel-terminally-ill-star-wars-fan-watches-force-awakens-two-months-early-1527515 

A terminally ill Star Wars fan, who was given just a few months to live, was granted his wish to see the new The Force Awakens film on Thursday (5 November), nearly two months before it comes out in theatres.

Daniel Fleetwood, a 31-year-old Texas man suffering from an aggressive form of cancer that has spread to 90 percent of his lungs, was able to watch an early cut of the highly anticipated new Star Wars film, his wife Ashley Fleetwood said on Facebook.

"Daniel just finished watching an unfinished version of Star Wars: The Force Awakens!!! We would like to thank the awesomely talented JJ Abrams for calling us yesterday to tell us Daniel was getting his wish granted!" she said.

Daniel Fleetwood's dying wish to see The Force Awakens went viral on social media in the past week with the hashtag #ForceForDaniel, which garnered the support of Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Peter Mayhew and newcomer John Boyega. Hamill tweeted on Thursday that he was "elated" that Fleetwood had been able to see the film.

This isn't the first time director JJ Abrams has brought a sick fan joy with an advance screening: he did the same for Daniel Craft with an early showing of Star Trek: Into Darknessin 2013 just days before Craft's ultimate death.

Fleetwood and his wife have been documenting his health on social media, and in September he posted an update saying he had been given one or two months to live, due to how fast the cancer had spread.

Disney said on Thursday that the screening for Fleetwood had taken place and that "all involved were happy to be able to make it happen." The company did not say where the screening took place, but given Fleetwood's poor health, it is likely to have been at his home.

Archived