Star Wars VII Has Begun Filming

RutgersJetFan

Damn, I need to visit your neighborhood. I go to garage/estate sales every weekend around here during the summer and the only books I ever find are dogeared copies of Twilight and The Hunger Games. I picked up a copy of Animal Farm for 25 cents last month and thought I was high society.

But yeah, you've got a point. Most people still have a VHS player still lying around--if not they're easy to find. I think the only time I've even seen a laserdisc player was in a store back when I was a little kid.

Just make sure it's the one in the black box, not the gold. The gold are the special editions.

The one thing I'll say about the Special Editions, and don't get me wrong, I do not like them, but it got the original trilogy back in the theaters for kids like me in the 90s who were too young to have seen them in the theater (I was born in '80 and Jedi came out in '83). I'm hoping they do the same for the Episode VII release. It would be ******* awesome to catch Empire in IMAX. Actually wouldn't mind catching Episode III on the big screen again as well.

BTW for anyone who hasn't caught it, Rebels is a really great show. If you enjoyed Clone Wars it's just as good.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This movie is going to be sick. Too bad it's being released in December - Star Wars is such a summer thing.

I can't blame them. Disney claimed that they pushed it to Christmas because they didn't want to rush it, but next summer is ridiculously jam packed with blockbusters, and Disney has Avengers 2 and Ant Man coming out in May and July. They do a good job of spacing those movies out in order to exhaust box office sales, so keeping Episode VII at least a half year away is in their best interest.

The thing about all of these franchises, if you want the quality that we've come to expect from stuff like Marvel...etc. You have to make some concessions as a fan. Studios have to be able to do what they can to turn a profit or they will stop making them. When these releases get ****ed up we get things like not getting a Dredd sequel.

In East Lansing, MSU recently built the Eli Broad art museum.   Last week they started constructing sets around it for the upcoming Superman vs. Batman film.  Maybe it'll be a fortress of solitude or something.

I know this isn't star wars related, but our family has always thought the building looks like the Jawas' sand crawler.

broadmsu.jpg

http://statenews.com/article/2014/10/batman-v-superman-to-be-filmed-at-broad

I can't blame them. Disney claimed that they pushed it to Christmas because they didn't want to rush it, but next summer is ridiculously jam packed with blockbusters, and Disney has Avengers 2 and Ant Man coming out in May and July. They do a good job of spacing those movies out in order to exhaust box office sales, so keeping Episode VII at least a half year away is in their best interest.

The thing about all of these franchises, if you want the quality that we've come to expect from stuff like Marvel...etc. You have to make some concessions as a fan. Studios have to be able to do what they can to turn a profit or they will stop making them. When these releases get ****ed up we get things like not getting a Dredd sequel.

I heard what had happened was they were having problems with the script early on.

I love how nerds think the original star wars movies without the CGI and scenes from 1997 are like this sacred treasure.  They're the same movies and actually a couple of the extra scenes and CGI were pretty good (Han's meeting with Jaba the Hut in IV, actually seeing the Ice Monster in Empire, having a real ending for Jedi instead of the ewok musical thing at the end).  The only thing that was lame was the whole Greedo shooting first thing in the Mos Eisley bar but that's it.

• 4 weeks later...

I love how nerds think the original star wars movies without the CGI and scenes from 1997 are like this sacred treasure.  They're the same movies and actually a couple of the extra scenes and CGI were pretty good (Han's meeting with Jaba the Hut in IV, actually seeing the Ice Monster in Empire, having a real ending for Jedi instead of the ewok musical thing at the end).  The only thing that was lame was the whole Greedo shooting first thing in the Mos Eisley bar but that's it.

Replacing Anakin as the force ghost in Jedi was ******* clown shoes.

• 3 weeks later...

new trailer looked super mega awesome

but aren't storm troopers clones of jango fett ?  

JJ is dismissing just about everything that happened in the bs prequels.  Besides, the empire ruled over the galaxy for over 30 years I'm sure they no longer needed to use clones to staff their storm troopers they could have just had a draft or recruited.

JJ is dismissing just about everything that happened in the bs prequels.  Besides, the empire ruled over the galaxy for over 30 years I'm sure they no longer needed to use clones to staff their storm troopers they could have just had a draft or recruited.

I hope he doesn't do any time travel tricks with the story, lol

the light saber seemed to almost be on fire.  pretty wicked

new trailer looked super mega awesome

but aren't storm troopers clones of jango fett ?

JJ is dismissing just about everything that happened in the bs prequels. Besides, the empire ruled over the galaxy for over 30 years I'm sure they no longer needed to use clones to staff their storm troopers they could have just had a draft or recruited.

You're both wrong. They were initially all clones but after the installation of the empire they are enlisted or conscripted humans. This has been explained in the books and shows but even if JJ is dismissing any of the plot points from supplemental material, he can't for the storm troopers, because they're all different sizes in episodes 4-6 (and Han and Luke fitting into uniforms would make no sense).

Dweebs.

You're both wrong. They were initially all clones but after the installation of the empire they are enlisted or conscripted humans. This has been explained in the books and shows but even if JJ is dismissing any of the plot points from supplemental material, he can't for the storm troopers, because they're all different sizes in episodes 4-6 (and Han and Luke fitting into uniforms would make no sense).

Dweebs.

nerd

I think people just had a knee-jerk reaction and got all pissed off about it because they thought all the storm troopers were supposed to look like Jango Fett, not taking into consideration what Rutgers said about the Empire enlisting soldiers of all sizes later.

Given the context, my initial thought was that the dude was one of the Rebels, and wearing the suit as a disguise like Luke and Han did in A New Hope. It would seem to fit since he looks like he's on the run from something or someone.

Also, I'm not familiar with the EU so I can plead ignorance on this, but after thinking about it I can't figure out what the advantage of that three-beam lightsaber would be. I mean, it looks cool, but it doesn't seem like it would be practical in a combat situation, especially if the guy were fighting against another dude who had a saber. He couldn't use those hilt beams to block or anything, because the handle would get sliced off. He wouldn't be able to do any of that Yoda-esque backflipping ninja saber-spinning crap either; he'd sever his arm right off. I guess I just don't get the functionality advantage over a regular lightsaber. It seems like a dangerous and impractical design.

lightsaber_reveal.0.gif

I think people just had a knee-jerk reaction and got all pissed off about it because they thought all the storm troopers were supposed to look like Jango Fett, not taking into consideration what Rutgers said about the Empire enlisting soldiers of all sizes later.

Given the context, my initial thought was that the dude was one of the Rebels, and wearing the suit as a disguise like Luke and Han did in A New Hope. It would seem to fit since he looks like he's on the run from something or someone.

Also, I'm not familiar with the EU so I can plead ignorance on this, but after thinking about it I can't figure out what the advantage of that three-beam lightsaber would be. I mean, it looks cool, but it doesn't seem like it would be practical in a combat situation, especially if the guy were fighting against another dude who had a saber. He couldn't use those hilt beams to block or anything, because the handle would get sliced off. He wouldn't be able to do any of that Yoda-esque backflipping ninja saber-spinning crap either; he'd sever his arm right off. I guess I just don't get the functionality advantage over a regular lightsaber. It seems like a dangerous and impractical design.

lightsaber_reveal.0.gif

1. It's science-fantasy, who gives a sh*t.

2. There is some speculation that the hilt is actually exhaust tubes, not a hand guard.

1. It's science-fantasy, who gives a sh*t.

2. There is some speculation that the hilt is actually exhaust tubes, not a hand guard.

and it's only 3 seconds, they may have other features, they may do other things.  

the more I look at it the more it's just not a traditional saber at all.  I hope he doesn't take too many liberties with the iconic stuff

but hey, no lens flares !!!

Archived