GM John Idzik Building A “Great” NY Jets Team

JetNation

so nobody has said he is going to have to spend "brewsters millions" next year ?

got it

was it you ?

Nope totally did. It's called an analogy. They're usually on the hyperbolic side but have a shred of truth. Do you even remember what it was in response to, or does context not matter either?

Nope totally did. It's called an analogy. They're usually on the hyperbolic side but have a shred of truth. Do you even remember what it was in response to, or does context not matter either?

idzik sucks ?

I've seen the movie, and I understand the reference to the cap floor.  I just have a calendar and I can see it's 4/7/2014 and there is still time to put together a roster. 

I just think the over reaction to the handful of FA's that idzik didn't sign is funny

idzik sucks ?

I've seen the movie, and I understand the reference to the cap floor.  I just have a calendar and I can see it's 4/7/2014 and there is still time to put together a roster. 

I just think the over reaction to the handful of FA's that idzik didn't sign is funny

I don't have a problem with what Idzik has done so far. I have a problem with the dick sucking in response to what Idzik hasn't done, namely, be Mike Tannenbaum. I also have a problem with the idea that this way of doing business is in the least bit sustainable with no flexibility at all. I also have a problem with the idea that somehow by year four we will be poised to make a Super Bowl run and then Idzik can spend his little ass off.

Maybe I'm doing some misinterpreting of my own.

what you see as fellatio I see as a response to the over reaction and panic.  The first few days of FA were comedy gold.  Then it started to get really annoying, every FA thread was just lame.  I think the board just had enough of the nonsense.

I like idzik's stated approach about building through the draft, but I think the results could be better.  I was hoping for a starting guard in FA.  I think "no flexibility at all" is a silly generalization.  nobody here has any idea how the negotiations have gone except that some agents were pissed he didn't give them mega-deals and leaked it to Mehta and cimini who have turned it into a narrative

from circus to cheap we go !

If he doesn't re-sign core players to long term deals, then I will pick up my pitch fork and let him have it

until then, one month at a time, he could spend a ton of money tonight on CJ

what you see as fellatio I see as a response to the over reaction and panic.  The first few days of FA were comedy gold.  Then it started to get really annoying, every FA thread was just lame.  I think the board just had enough of the nonsense.

I like idzik's stated approach about building through the draft, but I think the results could be better.  I was hoping for a starting guard in FA.  I think "no flexibility at all" is a silly generalization.  nobody here has any idea how the negotiations have gone except that some agents were pissed he didn't give them mega-deals and leaked it to Mehta and cimini who have turned it into a narrative

from circus to cheap we go !

If he doesn't re-sign core players to long term deals, then I will pick up my pitch fork and let him have it

until then, one month at a time, he could spend a ton of money tonight on CJ

I mean flexibility in the perceived approach. I don't have a clue how flexible he is in negotiations.

About CJ, you're right. He may spend money on him and some people will see it as very "un-Idzik".

Did I want Desean Jackson? Of course I did. Am I already over it? Of course I am.

Did I want a guard? Yup. Am I over it? Yup.

Did I want a cornerback? Yes. Am I over it? Yeah.

Do I want the Jets to spend to the ceiling? Nope. Am I comfortable with them being 27 mil under the cap in hopes of making a Super Bowl run in 2016? Not exactly, but what choice do I have?

I mean flexibility in the perceived approach. I don't have a clue how flexible he is in negotiations.

About CJ, you're right. He may spend money on him and some people will see it as very "un-Idzik".

Did I want Desean Jackson? Of course I did. Am I already over it? Of course I am.

Did I want a guard? Yup. Am I over it? Yup.

Did I want a cornerback? Yes. Am I over it? Yeah.

Do I want the Jets to spend to the ceiling? Nope. Am I comfortable with them being 27 mil under the cap in hopes of making a Super Bowl run in 2016? Not exactly, but what choice do I have?

Are you asking questions just to answer them yourself? Of course you are.

:)

I aspire to multiple personality disorder.

See, these kinds of missed opportunities are what prevents you from taking your posting to the next level.  Your response should have been:

Do I aspire to having multiple personality disorder? Yes I do. No, no I don't. Shut up. No, you shut up. Make me. I make you every day. This is all Idzik's fault. I agree.

See, these kinds of missed opportunities are what prevents you from taking your posting to the next level.  Your response should have been:

Do I aspire to having multiple personality disorder? Yes I do. No, no I don't. Shut up. No, you shut up. Make me. I make you every day. This is all Idzik's fault. I agree.

See, this is why you are Sperm Edwards and the rest of us are...the rest of us are...goddamn it, help me out here.

Idzik is building a mediocre to subpar team.the only thing thats great on this team is the defense thanks to rex ryan not Idzik thats for sure.what has idzik done to make everyone think he's doing a good job? He has done very little the cheapskate he is as general manager. I expect more losing from the jets due to awful decision making on freeagents & signing 1 quality reciever thats it.thats my opinion.this team is going to do their same old thing which is underachieving & having the defense bail them out of trouble. Another .500 season or below .500 season is probably going to happen.i just know it.

• 2 weeks later...
Jets GM John Idzik: Truly A Mad Scientist?

BY SEAN LESTER DURHAM - 

Jets GM John Idzik has had a somewhat……..well……….. timid off-season, if you will.  If you ask, some people would tell you that it has only been “timid” in the eyes of the impatient, success starving and sometimes ignorant group of Jets fans and that’s seemingly OK if you take for it is, part of the process.  It’s a process that includes one GM that has decided to utilize and stand by a certain “method.”

Method: “a systematic procedure, technique, or mode of inquiry employed by or proper to a particular discipline or art.”

Seems Idzik is mad, but if you look closely, like really closely, like “squinting your eyes while moving your head closer” closely, there seem to be a method to this madness.  John Idzik might seem mad, but not in the way that warrants concern, but in my opinion, in a way that warrants intrigue and eyebrow raising curiosity.   I’m not getting a “mad with power” feeling from him, as much as I’m getting a “mad with a firm and unmovable method” sentiment from him.  Seems Idzik is dead set on sticking with this “method” and I for one may not fully understand it, but I applaud it.  Without going into details, lets just say that the Jets previous GM, though he had some success as the Jets GM, didn’t really utilize a method of any kind.  Can we all agree on that?

For the most part, John Idzik, whether you agree or disagree with what he’s done thus far, has had his moves or  non-moves if you will, questioned, debated, tossed around, slandered and praised ad nauseum.  Methods aren’t perfect, they aren’t supposed to be.  They don’t always yield the results wanted and they are always up for debate from those that are for and against.  They are meant to maintain order, structure and stability to maintain long-term success for whatever you’re utilizing the method for.  It’s just the way it works, the way it will always work and John Idzik appears to be utilizing a method that is not only hard to decipher, but it has become a polarizing issue within JetNation, yet it’s one that when you step back and examine it logically, makes sense and provides a sense of hope for the Jets long-term success.  Here’s what Idzik has done the past two off seasons;

geno-smith-nfl-new-york-jets-miami-dolph

- Traded Darrelle Revis

- Drafted the top rated DT and DROY in the 2013 NFL Draft inSheldon Richardson

- Drated the consensus top rated QB in Geno Smith

- Drafted the consensus top rated CB in Dee Milliner

- Traded for RB Chris Ivory.

- Signed Kellen Winslow

- Signed Ed Reed

- Signed David Nelson

- Released Mark Sanchez

- Signed the WR that led the league in deep passes (catches) last season in Eric Decker

- Signed FA RB Chris Johnson to a two-year, $8 mil deal

These are the notable moves made by Idzik in the past two seasons.  What do these moves tell you? Not much, aside from the fact that you have a GM that doesn’t like sitting idly twiddling his thumbs.  The method is not something that you can put your finger on.  It’s not something that you’ll see a pattern start to form within.  A method can’t be touched or seen, it’s almost like faith, you have to believe that its working even though you can’t put your hands on it.

Building through the draft is a part of the method being used by John Idzik, but it’s a small part considering it takes more than a draft to put together a sustainable, successful NFL franchise.

I love most of the things John Idzik has done.  There are other moves I would’ve preferred for him to make that he didn’t and there are a few moves I would love for him to make in April’s draft, but I understand when on the outside looking in, my perspective may not align with the method Idzik is utilizing and that is something that is understandable.  The overall goal for John Idzik should be to win the Superbowl and maintain some level of consistent, long-term success.  The short-term goal for him should be to win the AFC East and the only way to do that is to responsibly and methodically put together a roster that can not only challenge the Patriots, but that can eventually surpass them.  This is the way to do it in my opinion, methodically, not irresponsibly by making rash decisions fueled primarily by pressure from the fans.

Both the high praise and bashing of John Idzik has been premature and anyone that can’t agree to that is an extremist no matter what side they stand on.  The method being utilized to turn this Jets franchise around takes time to build something that is worth it.  It takes time to do it right for the most part.  Yes, in the NFL things can and sometimes happen very quickly.  Successful franchises no longer need five seasons to get where they need to go, three at the max.  This method Idzik is using can’t be figured out and it’s not supposed to be, that’s something only he should know, but the fact that we see a method at work here should be somewhat comforting to Jets fans.

The moves that Idzik didn’t make are about as important to me as the ones that he did.  Case in point, I know and you know that the Jets need a playmaker at WR, but does John Idzik know this? Considering he had Tavon Austin at the top of his draft board last season and was ready to pounce on Jeremy Maclin this offseason, it’s safe to say he does.  Wouldn’t you agree?

Whether Idzik utilizes the “best player available approach” to the draft or not isn’t important, considering it brought the Jets the DROY and some solid prospects with great upside, I’d say if that’s the way he wants to go, have at it.

Method, using one calls for patience when trying to build something that is tough, sustainable and worth something.  We know it takes time, impatience is something we’re all guilty of, but know this; it takes about 13 hours to build a Toyota and 6 months to build a Rolls Royce.  Which one would you wait for?

i'll wait till i see them play some games before i start saying they are great.......because its just as likely that geno still sucks, vick is worthless, decker doesn't do much with geno smith throwing the ball, and chris johnson is just a close to 30 runningback in the vein of jets era tomlinson.

Archived