An alternative to Chris Johnson if he says no to Jets?

Cmartin

What happens if Chris Johnson chooses another team? We know how John Idzik works. He sets a number for a player and doesn’t vary too far from it as well. So what if Chris doesn’t like it? What’s next for the Jets. Well there is a guy that would even be more affordable, and could be used similarly. That guy is Felix Jones.

Take a look at his career stats:

Rushing & Receiving

Rushing Receiving       Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV 2008 21 DAL   28 6 0 30 266 3 60 8.9 44.3 5.0 2 10 5.0 0 7 0.3 1.7 276 3 0 3 2009 22 DAL KR 28 14 1 116 685 3 56 5.9 48.9 8.3 19 119 6.3 0 30 1.4 8.5 804 3 3 5 2010 23 DAL rb 28 16 7 185 800 1 34 4.3 50.0 11.6 48 450 9.4 1 71 3.0 28.1 1250 2 2 9 2011 24 DAL rb 28 12 8 127 575 1 40 4.5 47.9 10.6 33 221 6.7 0 27 2.8 18.4 796 1 5 6 2012 25 DAL rb 28 16 7 111 402 3 22 3.6 25.1 6.9 26 266 10.2 2 39 1.6 16.6 668 5 2 5 2013 26 PIT   23 16 2 48 184 0 14 3.8 11.5 3.0 9 63 7.0 0 15 0.6 3.9 247 0 1 2 Career         80 25 617 2912 11 60 4.7 36.4 7.7 137 1129 8.2 3 71 1.7 14.1 4041 14 13 30 5 yrs   DAL     64 23 569 2728 11 60 4.8 42.6 8.9 128 1066 8.3 3 71 2.0 16.7 3794 14 12 28 1 yr   PIT     16 2 48 184 0 14 3.8 11.5 3.0 9 63 7.0 0 15 0.6 3.9 247 0 1 2

The Jets don’t need a guy that is going to carry the ball 25 times per game, unless Chris Ivory were to go down with an injury. They need a player to perform 12-15 touches, get the ball on the outside, and make something happen.

That is right up the alley of Felix Jones. Jones has averaged 8.2 yards per reception out of the backfield. CJ2K has averaged 7.4 yards per catch. As explosive as Johnson has been, Felix Jones has been, statistically speaking, more explosive than Chris Johnson.

Don’t forget that, as a rusher, Jones has averaged 4.7 yards per carry for his career as well. Johnson? 4.6 yards per carry.

In terms of use, Felix Jones has actually carried the ball less than half of the times that Chris Johnson has. That tells us that Jones has a lot of mileage still remaining on his belt. As a part-time player, he would fit in well. If he has to go 25-30 times in a game I will be worried, but not 12-15 times.

He won’t nearly be as expensive as Chris Johnson should be.

Am I saying that the talent of the two are even close. Chris Johnson obviously is far more talented. But injuries can begin a new era for teams. Now with the team structured as it is, they need a change of pace running back. If Johnson isn't it, maybe it COULD be Felix Jones, right?

Always liked Felix Jones, but he gets hurt a lot and did not look good with the Steelers last year.However,  I don't think he would be a bad option if we don't get Johnson. But I would guess we are more likely looking at the draft for rbs before we entertain the idea of bringing someone like Jones in. I always thought he wasn't used properly in Dallas, but then again what running back is in Dallas. I imagine he is going to stay a free agent for a while, so it wouldn't be something that we would need to pursue right away

The Jets are set at RB w/ Ivory, Powell and Goodson.  Signing a FA would absolutely stupid.  That core, was good enough to be the 6th best rushing team in the league.  A little bit of improved line play and Geno taking the next step, should make for more room on the ground too.

They're fine.  And if they're really concerned, use one of the12 picks.

The Jets are set at RB w/ Ivory, Powell and Goodson.  Signing a FA would absolutely stupid.  That core, was good enough to be the 6th best rushing team in the league.  A little bit of improved line play and Geno taking the next step, should make for more room on the ground too.

I like Ivory but they probably need another guy....we need big play players. But finding a couple of guards that can mash I'd prefer first.

I think the reason they are considering making a move versus drafting someone is because this draft is so weak at runningback.  Runningbacks are going to be "overdrafted" and won't be good values at the spots they are selected, for the most part.  Here is a chance to bring in a known quantity and hopefully do it at reasonable terms.

With the jets situation, can't we just give him a 3year like maybe 16 mil, 12 guaranteed, front load the hell outta the contract, maybe give him like 8 the first year and pay him 4 for the next 2 and if he sucks, it won't hurt to cut him, and if he's good, when we start using our money, he won't be much of a cap hit. 

I'm not all for the signing of CJ, but it can't hurt us if most of the money he's making comes at a time when we can afford to pay him a lot. 

With the jets situation, can't we just give him a 3year like maybe 16 mil, 12 guaranteed, front load the hell outta the contract, maybe give him like 8 the first year and pay him 4 for the next 2 and if he sucks, it won't hurt to cut him, and if he's good, when we start using our money, he won't be much of a cap hit. 

I'm not all for the signing of CJ, but it can't hurt us if most of the money he's making comes at a time when we can afford to pay him a lot. 

The f*ck? The guy would be lucky to see those 12 milllions in a million years again and u wanna hand it to him in a platter? Basically a 2 yr $12mil deal, when he's maybe worth $4mil a yr and that too without much guarantees.

The f*ck? The guy would be lucky to see those 12 milllions in a million years again and u wanna hand it to him in a platter? Basically a 2 yr $12mil deal, when he's maybe worth $4mil a yr and that too without much guarantees.

Not exactly that, but same premise, front load his contract

Not exactly that, but same premise, front load his contract

2 yrs, $7mil with no guarantees past 2014. Basically guarantee his 2014 salary($1mil) and a signing bonus ($3mil). If Jets wanna go 3 years, I wouldn't pay a dime over $10m, knowing very well he may very well be running on fumes come 2016.

Front loading contracts is the best way to insure productivity!

Well, I think he said that cuz we have plenty of cap room left this year and might aswell take most of the cap hit now. I don't think it matters. Cap gets rolled over anyways so its not like use it or lose it type deal.

I like Ivory but they probably need another guy....we need big play players. But finding a couple of guards that can mash I'd prefer first.

LIke I said, 6th overall rushing with the worst passing game in the league.  If Geno and Winters improve next season and Breno is an upgrade in the run game...there's no reason to go backwards.  Ivory started off slow with some injuries but I'll eat crow on this one, he's pretty good.  He's got game breaking ability.  Based on the little bit of Goodson, I'd say he does too.  He looked really fast in those wildcat carries.

If its a concern you target a D'Anthony Thomas type mid-late round pick or something.  I just dont trust that CJ's got the motivation to be what he was and its a young man position and you have 12 picks.

I think the reason they are considering making a move versus drafting someone is because this draft is so weak at runningback.  Runningbacks are going to be "overdrafted" and won't be good values at the spots they are selected, for the most part.  Here is a chance to bring in a known quantity and hopefully do it at reasonable terms.

See above but I think there are some mid round talent that could be solid.  Thomas, Carey, Freeman/Wilder, Sims, all come to mind. And my favorite sleeper is Josey out of Mizzou. 

What happens if Chris Johnson chooses another team? We know how John Idzik works. He sets a number for a player and doesn’t vary too far from it as well. So what if Chris doesn’t like it? What’s next for the Jets. Well there is a guy that would even be more affordable, and could be used similarly. That guy is Felix Jones.

The Jets don’t need a guy that is going to carry the ball 25 times per game, unless Chris Ivory were to go down with an injury. They need a player to perform 12-15 touches, get the ball on the outside, and make something happen.

That is right up the alley of Felix Jones. Jones has averaged 8.2 yards per reception out of the backfield. CJ2K has averaged 7.4 yards per catch. As explosive as Johnson has been, Felix Jones has been, statistically speaking, more explosive than Chris Johnson.

Don’t forget that, as a rusher, Jones has averaged 4.7 yards per carry for his career as well. Johnson? 4.6 yards per carry.

In terms of use, Felix Jones has actually carried the ball less than half of the times that Chris Johnson has. That tells us that Jones has a lot of mileage still remaining on his belt. As a part-time player, he would fit in well. If he has to go 25-30 times in a game I will be worried, but not 12-15 times.

He won’t nearly be as expensive as Chris Johnson should be.

Am I saying that the talent of the two are even close. Chris Johnson obviously is far more talented. But injuries can begin a new era for teams. Now with the team structured as it is, they need a change of pace running back. If Johnson isn't it, maybe it COULD be Felix Jones, right?

Just draft Dri Archer, and call it a day, same player 6 years younger.

Just draft Dri Archer, and call it a day, same player 6 years younger.

I like Dri, but at 176 he's not going to be able to get near the touches or utilized as CJ would: 176 lbs is light.  I guess that could be creative and use him like McCluster, but I'd still be leery on his overall workload.

If they don't sign Johnson then they'll draft a RB, possibly higher than some might suspect (I think 2nd or first 3rd - Archer or Thomas). I could see them liking Seastrunk, who put up the best vertical and broad jump of all the RBs and was excellent in his two years at Baylor.

Have little interest in him.  Don't really see the sense of bringing CJ in when we have Powell_Ivory_Goodson plus whoever we draft. Powell was pretty good last year....and Goodson showed a lot of potential over those couple games.  Ivory gets the job done too.  Why do we need an older declining RB for? Waste of money imo. 

Archived