R.I.P. Ultimate Warrior

RutgersJetFan

RIP indeed

I'm just going to throw it out there - former wrestling entertainers drop like flies at really young ages. IIRC there was a multiple year stretch where at least one died within 100 days of the other. Lots of guys in their 40s and early 50s.

RIP indeed

I'm just going to throw it out there - former wrestling entertainers drop like flies at really young ages. IIRC there was a multiple year stretch where at least one died within 100 days of the other. Lots of guys in their 40s and early 50s.

People are very quick to blame drugs, alcohol, and roids, and that's a fair claim for a lot of them, but I don't think it's just that. The grind that a lot of these guys do for a good stretch of their life is just an insane stress on the human body. Most of these guys are in the ring 300 days or more out of the year, night after night putting their bodies through the ringer. Big Show was asked about John Cena's workload a while back and he said that the dude, as a main eventer, works like 80 days in a row at a clip. Combine that with the lifestyle and it's a recipe for a shorter life than most. Roddy Piper has been trying to draw the attention of people to this for years, it's not a glamorous business for most.

54 years old. Another one gone young and I'm sure he was a big part of the childhoods of a lot of posters here, including mine.

Made his return to Raw only 24 hours before and amazingly spoke about death. RIP, may he rest in parts unknown.

Didn't he always talk about death though?

Loved this dude back in the day.

I still remember being at the Orlando Arena and he was wrestling when I was like 10 years old. He came running out full sprint, bell rang, grabbed the opponent (maybe Brookyln Brawler or something like that), miltary pressed him a few times over his head, threw him over the ropes and sprinted out of the ring back to the locker.  Like 30 seconds flat.  At the time, was upset we didnt get to see him longer but now, its by far the coolest thing I've ever seen out of pro-wrestling.

RIP

RIP

sad

my mom worked for WWF in stamford.  I got to go to a picnic. some random observations;

macho man is a small dude

elizabeth is cute

jake the snake looked ready to kill someone

the biggest guy there was vince

separate from that, my mom met the undertaker and UW at the offices

she said undertaker was a cool guy, but UW was a strange dude

she said undertaker was a cool guy, but UW was a strange dude

He had a very polarized personality for a long time and a lot of strained relationships because of it (though it certainly takes two, as in McMahon's case). There are a lot of fan stories from his heyday that give conflicting accounts of how he was; sometimes very kind, sometimes a complete jerk. The saddest part of all of this is that it looked like he had reconciled everything with everyone very recently and was very committed to being a good husband and father going forward. By all accounts from Wrestlemania weekend, it looks like everyone was thrilled with how well he was doing as a person.

People are very quick to blame drugs, alcohol, and roids, and that's a fair claim for a lot of them, but I don't think it's just that. The grind that a lot of these guys do for a good stretch of their life is just an insane stress on the human body. Most of these guys are in the ring 300 days or more out of the year, night after night putting their bodies through the ringer. Big Show was asked about John Cena's workload a while back and he said that the dude, as a main eventer, works like 80 days in a row at a clip. Combine that with the lifestyle and it's a recipe for a shorter life than most. Roddy Piper has been trying to draw the attention of people to this for years, it's not a glamorous business for most.

Loved UW, dressed up as him for a couple Halloweens. He and Lex Luger (after he body-slammed Yokozuna on the USS Intrepid and became the USA hero when Hogan left. Not that stupid Narcissist douchenozzle ) were my favorite wrestlers for a long time. 

The rigors that they have to go through when on that circuit is hellish. I forget who it was, possibly Piper, that was lobbying for more stringent controls on how these guys are pushed. e.g. Can't work too many days in a row, can't work too many days out of the year, mandatory vacations/breaks etc.  He was saying due to the schedule these guys keep, they can't properly cycle off some of their PEDs, how they perform every single day in a month, uppers to maintain the schedule and the downers to get some rest and of course the copious amounts of pain meds for putting their bodies through the grinder. I've heard for the amateurs trying to make their way up it's even worse.

I don't know the specifics, but aren't McMahon and those guys allowed to get away with it because the wrestlers are hired as entertainers and not employees or something?

I was a HUGE UW fan back in the day.  I had posters all over my room as a kid.  He was essentially my boyhood idol, he was like a superhero.  I knew wrestling was fake, but there was just something about him and the character.  

When I got home from work last week, I brought up Facebook and all I saw was a post down at the bottom of the screen from Batista that just said simply "R.I.P. Warrior".  I literally yelled out "what???" and then I looked online and confirmed it.  To say I was devastated is an understatement.  He finally comes back to the WWE, gets the recognition he deserves, gets inducted, buries grudges with Vince and everyone else and then he's gone just like that.  His speech on RAW is just so eerie when I watch it now.  He practically gave his own eulogy.

Here was their tribute on RAW tonight and they're going to have a week of tributes on the WWE Network as "Warrior Week" continues:

I was a HUGE UW fan back in the day.  I had posters all over my room as a kid.  He was essentially my boyhood idol, he was like a superhero.  I knew wrestling was fake, but there was just something about him and the character.  

When I got home from work last week, I brought up Facebook and all I saw was a post down at the bottom of the screen from Batista that just said simply "R.I.P. Warrior".  I literally yelled out "what???" and then I looked online and confirmed it.  To say I was devastated is an understatement.  He finally comes back to the WWE, gets the recognition he deserves, gets inducted, buries grudges with Vince and everyone else and then he's gone just like that.  His speech on RAW is just so eerie when I watch it now.  He practically gave his own eulogy.

Here was their tribute on RAW tonight and they're going to have a week of tributes on the WWE Network as "Warrior Week" continues:

I'm not crying, it's just been raining on my face.

Archived