CB or WR in round 1?

Freemanm

Another CB for Jets? Not out of question

by Rich Cimini

They wouldn't. They couldn't. 

Oh, yes, they could. 

With their first-round pick in next month's draft, the New York Jets could select a cornerback for the second straight year (Dee Milliner, 2013) and the third time in the past five years (Kyle Wilson, 2010). That may sound like overkill, but it isn't, not when you consider the importance of corners in Rex Ryan's defense. It's also not farfetched when you look at the way the Jets have approached free agency, cutting Antonio Cromartie and ostensibly replacing him with journeyman Dimitri Patterson -- hardly a long-term solution with a one-year, $3 million contract. General manager John Idzik, criticized for not landing any of the top corners, seemingly held back, knowing he had an ace up his sleeve -- the draft. 

So it comes as no surprise that four of the highest-rated corners in the draft are scheduled to visit the Jets -- Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard, Ohio State's Bradley Roby, Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert and Virginia Tech's Kyle Fuller, listed in order of Scouts Inc's ranking. It's an interesting mix of talent. 

Dennard, who won the Thorpe Award as the nation's top defensive back, doesn't have off-the-charts measureables, but he possesses some Darrelle Revis-like qualities in terms of instincts and toughness. Gilbert is a bit inconsistent, but it's hard to ignore his playmaking skills -- seven interceptions last season (two returned for touchdowns) and six kickoff-return touchdowns over his career. Roby may have the most pure talent of the group, but he had a mediocre year and has character questions. Fuller is a solid, all-around package, but he underwent hernia surgery last November. 

The Jets could wait until the second round (No. 49 overall) to address the cornerback need, but it gets dicey at that point because the top prospects could be gone. Scouts, Inc. has seven corners rated in its top 50, five of whom could go in the first round. Over the last four drafts, six, four, six and seven corners have been picked in the top 50. 

If the Jets don't choose a wide receiver in the first round, it'll be a cornerback. Write it down.

I don't see why there's an absolute need for a round 1 corner. Somebody in the round 2-4 range should be sufficient as competition for Walls and hopefully a long-term #2 across from Milliner.

Granted, it's a bigger need than some spots, but I don't think it's good to limit what positions you want to take in the first round. Pretty soon the list gets really small. Take good players who are there unless there's absolutely zero need. And based on the Richardson pick, that may be what the front office does. Though a top 5 player on the board slipping to 13 does change things a bit.

Based on the recent track record of first round TE's and the potential options on day 2 I don't think that's a direction I'd ideally like them to go in, but I would understand the rationale. But if there's a substantially better OLB, safety, or even offensive lineman on the board than there is a corner or a wideout I think they'd be silly to pass. And while I'd rather they wait on QB, I could understand that too.

I would prefer punter over CB at this point.

You will never win a super bowl drafting CBs in the first round 3 out 5 years. I don't care what Rex tells you.

But punter will get the job done?  If free agency showed us anything it is that quality cover corners are a very valuable commodity.  That means that selecting them in the first round is not a bad play.  At least you end up with someone at a reasonable salary instead of spending $12 million a year for the position.

Unless there is a run at WR and the top 5 are off the board, I would say are most glaring need is a sure handed, good route running, and fast WR. One that will take the double coverage off of Decker. I say Beckham or Lee. Watson and Evans will be gone. However if TE Ebron falls and is available, I would grab him instead. A good TE is a valuable piece in this offense.

Receiver in the first, multiple corners and safeties later. Our needs are just totally different. We don't have a defensive back on the roster who has a role on the team in 2015 except Milliner. One WR at the top of the depth chart and we're all set.

Agreed for the most part, but I'd put it at Milliner and Allen. That's just because I think pretty highly of Allen and believe he's going to lock down that safety position with his play this year, but understand if others don't feel that great about him. Definitely agree that we go WR in the first and hit defensive backfield with the later picks.

I know that you have the rookie scouting report, what does it say about Stanley Jean-Baptiste? He's someone that I've been really high on; like his athleticism, love his size and physicality in the run game. Could be our wr-convert version of Richard Sherman.

Agreed for the most part, but I'd put it at Milliner and Allen. That's just because I think pretty highly of Allen and believe he's going to lock down that safety position with his play this year, but understand if others don't feel that great about him. Definitely agree that we go WR in the first and hit defensive backfield with the later picks.

I know that you have the rookie scouting report, what does it say about Stanley Jean-Baptiste? He's someone that I've been really high on; like his athleticism, love his size and physicality in the run game. Could be our wr-convert version of Richard Sherman.

That only covers offensive skill positions. I don't know a lot about Jean-Baptiste except that he was on the list after Seattle won the Super Bowl and everybody did the obligatory big cornerback article and I haven't heard a thing about him since.

Receiver in the first, multiple corners and safeties later. Our needs are just totally different. We don't have a defensive back on the roster who has a role on the team in 2015 except Milliner. One WR at the top of the depth chart and we're all set.

At what point are we looking for Mangold and Bricks replacement. And Winters.

At what point are we looking for Mangold and Bricks replacement. And Winters.

Now? We have lots of picks. Right now Caleb Schlauderaff and Dalton Freeman are competing to back up Mangold. What does it really take to get a player who could get rid of them, a sixth rounder? A fourth could put Winters and Colon in a race for the other guard spot. I don't know how high we would pick a tackle that we can't at least stash inside for a year or two, and obviously if you're looking at a pick as Ferguson's replacement you're prepared to invest, so maybe we just look to push Aboushi with a free agent.

Now? We have lots of picks. Right now Caleb Schlauderaff and Dalton Freeman are competing to back up Mangold. What does it really take to get a player who could get rid of them, a sixth rounder? A fourth could put Winters and Colon in a race for the other guard spot. I don't know how high we would pick a tackle that we can't at least stash inside for a year or two, and obviously if you're looking at a pick as Ferguson's replacement you're prepared to invest, so maybe we just look to push Aboushi with a free agent.

Yeah, agreed. We find our Warford and the offense instantly changes. I guess the chances of any of the big 3 OT's falling is slim....other than the secondary, our widest need is the OL...

My wish:

Ebron in round 1

Best WR remaining in round 2

Best CB remaining in round 3

To hell with BPA.

Let's focus more on the offense for once. I'm sick and tired of focusing on defense and running game. With a name like the Jets, we should be PASSING!

But punter will get the job done?  If free agency showed us anything it is that quality cover corners are a very valuable commodity.  That means that selecting them in the first round is not a bad play.  At least you end up with someone at a reasonable salary instead of spending $12 million a year for the position.

Yes. This is why you prioritize some positions over others in the first round. You win championships by having a roster of talent outperforming their pay. A first round CB or WR can often do that, and getting top performances out of those positions is very expensive in free agency. That's why you avoid guards and TEs and RBs early, as they're positions that can be filled inexpensively in free agency.

For Idzik and the Jets, he's definitely left the team in a position where they need to find starters at WR and CB in the draft. It also happens to be a year where those two positions are very solidly three rounds deep. He doesn't have to take one of those positions in the first round, but he probably has to hit them both in his first three or four picks. His first rounder will likely be an impact position, though. If not CB or WR, probably a pass rusher.

Archived