CB or WR in round 1?

Freemanm

If the Jets draft a CB intending to keep him long term, then in a few years they will beoverloaded cap-wise at the CB position again. If Idzik is long term conscious, thiswould seem to be unwise.

Bitonti thinks this way, but I don't think the GM should.

One of their first round CBs will almost certainly leave the team via free agency next year. If Milliner proves to be the player he looked like at the end of last season, and they can team him up with another quality starter opposite him, the team will be set at a critical position very cheaply for the next four years. Four years is pretty long term in the NFL. If he has two CBs worth top dollar four years from now, it's not a terrible problem to have. Most likely, he'd resign one, and let the other go - and then get back a comp third rounder for him the following year. Or he'd trade him for a first rounder (or more!) before his contract runs out.

One of their first round CBs will almost certainly leave the team via free agency next year. If Milliner proves to be the player he looked like at the end of last season, and they can team him up with another quality starter opposite him, the team will be set at a critical position very cheaply for the next four years. Four years is pretty long term in the NFL. If he has two CBs worth top dollar four years from now, it's not a terrible problem to have. Most likely, he'd resign one, and let the other go - and then get back a comp third rounder for him the following year. Or he'd trade him for a first rounder (or more!) before his contract runs out.

good point. when I projected into the future I forgot Idzik might be making that call. I just went into Jet-think again automatically

If the Jets draft a CB intending to keep him long term, then in a few years they will be

overloaded cap-wise at the CB position again. If Idzik is long term conscious, this

would seem to be unwise.

Yeah but can't you say that for virtually every other position?

Except they had Revis, Cromartie & Wilson (all first round CBs) at one point and the Jets were still pretty much an 8-8 team.     At some point the Jets need to figure a way how to build a team and not just draft first round CBs or sign first round CBs.   Because it obviously hasn't really worked.

Unless there is a run at WR and the top 5 are off the board, I would say are most glaring need is a sure handed, good route running, and fast WR. One that will take the double coverage off of Decker. I say Beckham or Lee. Watson and Evans will be gone. However if TE Ebron falls and is available, I would grab him instead. A good TE is a valuable piece in this offense.

that's what I'm afraid of.  I think OBJ is going to rise all month and wind up top 12.  I think the QB's fall

Now? We have lots of picks. Right now Caleb Schlauderaff and Dalton Freeman are competing to back up Mangold. What does it really take to get a player who could get rid of them, a sixth rounder? A fourth could put Winters and Colon in a race for the other guard spot. I don't know how high we would pick a tackle that we can't at least stash inside for a year or two, and obviously if you're looking at a pick as Ferguson's replacement you're prepared to invest, so maybe we just look to push Aboushi with a free agent.

I haven't looked at their contracts in a while, but I'm pretty sure Brick is almost impossible to cut for two more years then we save something like $10+ million by cutting him. I think Mangold's is similar. I've been wondering what their plans are for those two for a while, if any of them have a future after '16.

I haven't looked at their contracts in a while, but I'm pretty sure Brick is almost impossible to cut for two more years then we save something like $10+ million by cutting him. I think Mangold's is similar. I've been wondering what their plans are for those two for a while, if any of them have a future after '16.

Lewan is not dropping anywhere near 18. Don't see why everyone's in a rush to move on from Brick and Mangold. They had to baby sit Winters last year and that's not on them. It's on the GM. Winters btw did have 1 good game in Miami last game of the season. 

other players who wont fall to 18: Johnny Football, Mike Evans and Anthony Barr. 

the GM will think BAP and that means best available player. so feel comforted.

can't say BAP regardless of position because of DL they would be truly cap heavy. a Kony Ealy pick would be surprising. 

At CB they basically have Milliner and a bunch of long shots. Dennard or Gilbert could be a BAP. I don't really buy these other names like Roby/Fuller in the top 20. Its reachy and Idzik hates to reach. 

any 4.3 WR OBJ or Cooks could also be the BAP. Easy pick both. Beckham probably over Cooks but it's almost a toss up. 

Don't see the harm in a Teddy Bridgewater pick if he falls all the way to 18 (lotto ticket, Vick is a 1 year rental, Geno is still huge ???). It would be a value pick and Idzik loves value picks.  Lets be honest the Jets still don't have enough good QBs on the roster. 

any 4.3 WR OBJ or Cooks could also be the BAP. Easy pick both. Beckham probably over Cooks but it's almost a toss up. 

Don't see the harm in a Teddy Bridgewater pick if he falls all the way to 18 (lotto ticket, Vick is a 1 year rental, Geno is still huge ???). It would be a value pick and Idzik loves value picks.  Lets be honest the Jets still don't have enough good QBs on the roster. 

Other players who aren't falling to 18: Odell Beckham and Teddy Bridgewater.

CBS's latest draft board:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24522110/nfl-draft-draft-board-30

has Taylor Lewan at 11.

Kyle Fuller continues to climb but I don't see CB (or WR barring one of the obvious too Watkins/Evans) in the first. I would love it for the lawls, but yeah...I'm going conservative and expecting either Lewan if he hilariously falls into the teens or Zack Martin. Martin's pretty awesome, tons of versatility and should plug and play at LG.

I love Jordan Matthews. I think he is the safest of the wide receivers in this draft, and his upside is still quite serious. I love his size, speed, production, pedigree. If we come out of this draft with a receiving corp of Decker, Matthews, Kerley I think we have seriously helped ourselves. 

Lewan is not dropping anywhere near 18. Don't see why everyone's in a rush to move on from Brick and Mangold. They had to baby sit Winters last year and that's not on them. It's on the GM. Winters btw did have 1 good game in Miami last game of the season. 

other players who wont fall to 18: Johnny Football, Mike Evans and Anthony Barr. 

I was merely speaking on Brick's contract, which balloons to over $14 million per year during the '16 and '17 seasons and we'd gain $10 million and $13 million in cap space, respectively, by cutting him. Mangold's contract goes up to $9 million and $10 million with zero dead money in those same years, so either they're prime examples to be restructured or they'll be cut.  Their play doesn't warrant that type of money, but I would not be opposed to a sizable restructure should they maintain adequate levels of play.

Other players who aren't falling to 18: Odell Beckham and Teddy Bridgewater.

i can see that

top 20 (in tiers) 

DE Clowney

OT Robinson

QB Johnny 

QB Bortles 

DE Mack 

WR Watkins

WR Evans
OT Lewan
OT Matthews

QB Teddy 

WR Beckham
CB Gilbert
S Haha
QB Carr
DT Donald

CB Dennard

WR Cooks

TE Ebron

S Pryor 

OT Martin

if my math is correct the jets should have a shot at 2 of the last tier. Other players that could be in the mix: WR Lee, LB Ford

This draft is so deep in receivers so I could see the Jets drafting a CB especially if it is Dennard or Gilbert if they are still there. They is a big gap between them and the next best rated CB on my board who is Jason Verret. I would rather have one of these CBs and then take a receiver like Robinson, Landry, Mathews or my favorite Paul Richardson will be available. I figure six receivers would be drafted until the Jets pick in the second, Watkins, Evans, Cooks, Beckham, Benjamin and Lee will be gone. Richardson has just as explosive speed as Cooks and Lee. Mathews has great hands and a good route runner and Landry is a warrior who will go over the middle. Robinson has length and does every thing a good receiver does.

i can see that

top 20 (in tiers) 

DE Clowney

OT Robinson

QB Johnny 

QB Bortles 

DE Mack 

WR Watkins

WR Evans
OT Lewan
OT Matthews

QB Teddy 

WR Beckham
CB Gilbert
S Haha
QB Carr
DT Donald

I'm looking at 14 guys as comprising the top couple of tiers.

QB: Manziel, Bridgewater

WR: Watkins, Evans, Beckham

OT: Matthews, Robinson, Lewan

DE: Clowney, Mack, Barr

DT: Hageman, Donald

LB: Shazier

I don't think Houston can go wrong with either Manziel or Bridgewater. Watkins is clearly on his own level but I think the big divide comes between Evans and Beckham and the rest of the receiving class. Lewan is better than either of the tackles who went 1-2 last year and Matthews and Robinson are both better than Lewan. The defensive front seven is crazy strong at the top of the board this year. These guys are all phenomenal athletes and have demonstrated the ability to dominate games.

I don't doubt that at least one defensive back is off the board ahead of us but I don't like Gilbert. For our secondary it's Dennard and Roby on the outside, Verrett in the slot, Pryor in the box, Clinton-Dix at free, and probably in that order. Ebron is more likely than not gone. Cooks and Martin are clearly contenders and C.J. Mosley should be in play.

I'm looking at 14 guys as comprising the top couple of tiers.

QB: Manziel, Bridgewater

WR: Watkins, Evans, Beckham

OT: Matthews, Robinson, Lewan

DE: Clowney, Mack, Barr

DT: Hageman, Donald

LB: Shazier

I don't think Houston can go wrong with either Manziel or Bridgewater. Watkins is clearly on his own level but I think the big divide comes between Evans and Beckham and the rest of the receiving class. Lewan is better than either of the tackles who went 1-2 last year and Matthews and Robinson are both better than Lewan. The defensive front seven is crazy strong at the top of the board this year. These guys are all phenomenal athletes and have demonstrated the ability to dominate games.

I don't doubt that at least one defensive back is off the board ahead of us but I don't like Gilbert. For our secondary it's Dennard and Roby on the outside, Verrett in the slot, Pryor in the box, Clinton-Dix at free, and probably in that order. Ebron is more likely than not gone. Cooks and Martin are clearly contenders and C.J. Mosley should be in play.

Hageman really? Does he impact as a pass rusher? I suspect he will be on the board when the Jets pick. 

agree with almost everything else. Bortles will be gone. And maybe Carr too if someone gets desperate. 

CJ Mosely should be in play ... ya know Idzik can't wait to cut David Harris. Mosely also to PIT at 15 who don't usually take ILB but value guys differently

Hageman really? Does he impact as a pass rusher? I suspect he will be on the board when the Jets pick. 

agree with almost everything else. Bortles will be gone. And maybe Carr too if someone gets desperate. 

CJ Mosely should be in play ... ya know Idzik can't wait to cut David Harris. Mosely also to PIT at 15 who don't usually take ILB but value guys differently

Hageman might be there at 18 but I think the consensus generally has him significantly underrated. He's going to go in the first round to a team that a) runs the under defense and B) doesn't have Muhammad Wilkerson. On Bortles and Carr my thing is, if one of them is there then why are the Jets going to be the team that takes him? I would really like to see Shazier sitting there for us but it seems like a longshot. Mosley is a very, very good player but considering the circumstances we're putting him into -- in Rex's defense, behind our line -- I want to see astronomical upside if we're picking a linebacker in the first. Shazier has the combination of skills and athleticism that would be worth passing over good players at positions of need, Mosley I'm not sure. And of course there's the medicals. I think Idzik is looking at Harris right now as a splurge buy with excess space.

We're bringing in a ton of receivers and corners who aren't going to be there when we pick in the second but I'm having a hard time coming up with how any of them we haven't talked about already figures into the picture at 18.

Hageman might be there at 18 but I think the consensus generally has him significantly underrated. He's going to go in the first round to a team that a) runs the under defense and B) doesn't have Muhammad Wilkerson. On Bortles and Carr my thing is, if one of them is there then why are the Jets going to be the team that takes him? I would really like to see Shazier sitting there for us but it seems like a longshot. Mosley is a very, very good player but considering the circumstances we're putting him into -- in Rex's defense, behind our line -- I want to see astronomical upside if we're picking a linebacker in the first. Shazier has the combination of skills and athleticism that would be worth passing over good players at positions of need, Mosley I'm not sure. And of course there's the medicals. I think Idzik is looking at Harris right now as a splurge buy with excess space.

We're bringing in a ton of receivers and corners who aren't going to be there when we pick in the second but I'm having a hard time coming up with how any of them we haven't talked about already figures into the picture at 18.

+1 on this

My gut says Hageman to GB at 21 or the Eagles at 22. Not to say 18 is a reach but just see him falling out of the top 20. Agree that he's very underrated. 

as for Shazier, he best projects as a 3-4 ILB.  Moselys medicals not that different from Milliners, the Jets don't seem to mind Bama wear and tear. I agree Shazier's got more pass rush upside but neither of these guys have Calvin Pace type size and Rex seems to like bigger OLB. It's hard for me to predict either Shazier or Mosely in the top half of the round because the draft usually over looks ILBs unless they are a Patrick Willis type project. Good players tho. Just not draftable really early. Also hard for me to predict Shazier to the Jets because of Gholston. There was an Ohio State purge that happened when all the scouts got fired. The new school is more PAC/SEC heavy.

What does Mosley's medicals not that different from Milliner mean? I would say that Milliner did a way better job at the combine. Also don't see any suggestions towards Shazier as an OLB, but Shazier's athleticism tested *that* well at the combine. We're talking a high productive LB who ran in the 4.4s, jumped 40+ inches, killed the broad jump and 3 cone, showed better strength and size than expected....Those numbers are on the extreme end of awesome, and we're talking a kid who started every single game in his three years at school.

Nobody cares about Gholston anymore. That was 6 years ago for ****s sake. That's like 6 different lifetimes in the NFL (all destroyed because it's the NFL).

Archived