Jets may take step back this year, but.............

SouthernJet

We may find ourselves staying even or a tad step back but I think it may be totally understandable in Idzik's 'Seattle Plan'.

We will have roughly 20% 1st year players based on draft picks/UDFA's etc

My thoughts are we will mirror Schneiders 2nd year in Seattle when they did the draft over haul thing. 

Seattle started out slow, but ended up winning 5 of last 8 with the 3 losses by 6, 2 and 3 (OT) to finish 7-9 for 2nd straight year.

You could see the system starting to 'fall in place'.

I'm hoping Rex gets the kids pumped up earlier so maybe we can squeeze a 10 win season and playoff berth. 

We will see. :)

BLEED GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get the whole "Seattle plan" thing. It's not like they planned on getting an All Pro CB in the 5th round and a pro bowl QB in the 3rd round. ID love to see how that "Seattle plan" works out when their pro bowlers making minimum salary would require monster contracts in a couple yrs.

I don't get the whole "Seattle plan" thing. It's not like they planned on getting an All Pro CB in the 5th round and a pro bowl QB in the 3rd round. ID love to see how that "Seattle plan" works out when their pro bowlers making minimum salary would require monster contracts in a couple yrs.

You're right j4, you need some luck in the NFL, you always have. No bigger example than a team who oh say drafts a 2nd string college QB in the 6th round and then goes on to win some super bowls with said scrub. It's that kind of 'luck' that can elevate a head coach from about to be fired to a "genius". Man we are overdue for a shot of luck, especially at that QB position. We haven't had it in a generation-or two...think about it since Namath, the Dolphins got Marino for almost 20 years, the Bills went to a bunch of SB's with Jim Kelly, then The Colts (who used to be in our division) got Peyton Manning and then NE with Brady...we are due, thought we might have had it finally with Sanchez, until he was ruined in that Pittsburgh game by a hit  (illegal) from Harrison...

OK enough with a Seattle plan name- - Idzik wants a Jets team to build primarily through the draft. That makes it crucial to hit on these draft choices coming up

I still would love to see him make a move and get Chris Johnson though Frank-perfect place for him to land, a HC who loves to run and a runner who gets better the more he carries the rock. 20 carries for CJ and Ivory and Powell split the other 15...sweet

OK enough with a Seattle plan name- - Idzik wants a Jets team to build primarily through the draft. That makes it crucial to hit on these draft choices coming up

agree, just letting folks know how this 'plan' will probably play out with so many new kids this year, BUT, will be good news in long run imho

I still would love to see him make a move and get Chris Johnson though Frank-perfect place for him to land, a HC who loves to run and a runner who gets better the more he carries the rock. 20 carries for CJ and Ivory and Powell split the other 15...sweet

I also think that would be a good move-Johnson is better than anyone on our roster talent wise still if healthy

lol...what do you work for this Idziot....yeah that plan worked real well for islanders for last 10 years - how many #1 picks do they have playing for them?

or the 20 other NFL teams who never make the playoffs each year cause they have no money and no choice but try to build thru the draft (lions et all)

I for one will not be OK with another fkg losing season because Idziot has some stupid Seatle plan...fk that!

Not commenting on the number of wins but I really do not see 10 of the 12 draft picks making the team.

53 man roster,, 20% = 10 guys making team from the 12 draft picks and the bunch of UDFAs we bring in ,,probably high I agree, but I think 8 will make team, aka 15% and dont forget Practice Squad

We may find ourselves staying even or a tad step back but I think it may be totally understandable in Idzik's 'Seattle Plan'.

We will have roughly 20% 1st year players based on draft picks/UDFA's etc

My thoughts are we will mirror Schneiders 2nd year in Seattle when they did the draft over haul thing. 

Seattle started out slow, but ended up winning 5 of last 8 with the 3 losses by 6, 2 and 3 (OT) to finish 7-9 for 2nd straight year.

You could see the system starting to 'fall in place'.

I'm hoping Rex gets the kids pumped up earlier so maybe we can squeeze a 10 win season and playoff berth. 

We will see. :)

BLEED GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

while the team ended 8-8, it really was a tough year to evaluate how good/ bad the team was.    they beat NE and NO and then went on an unparalleled streak of offensive ineptitude scoring 20 points in 3 games (7 in garbage time).  

other than the NE game in week 2, all of the losses were by 10+ points and the team didn't even look competitive in almost half the games - yet, they still finished 8-8.    

2014 should be a huge improvement talent-wise, hopefully the record reflects that.   

If they can get the secondary worked out they should be able to keep the score close in just about every game.    The offense should improve dramatically with the addition of Decker, Kerley staying healthy, and adding one game-breaking WR in the draft.      I just can't see this team taking a step back with so much more talent on offense and a viable back-up QB in case Geno goes into another 3-4 game funk.   

2014 should be a huge improvement talent-wise, hopefully the record reflects that.   

Ya agree, with so many new faces I think by END of season we will be better than last year , but record might not show as 1st part of season will have so many youngsters

Not commenting on the number of wins but I really do not see 10 of the 12 draft picks making the team.

7/7 draft picks made the team in Idzik's first year. 10/12 making it this year probably isn't unreasonable. The Jets lack even decent starters at CB, WR, TE, S, G, (QB?). Plenty of room to add players to this roster.

That said, this year the idea of trading down to collect more picks probably doesn't make a lot of sense given the number of picks they have. Four of those being untradeable comp picks. The numbers game could result in trading up making some sense, though. Maybe use one of their fourth rounders to slide their second or third rounder up. Wouldn't be terrible to come out of the draft with just ten or eleven prospects, especially if they land a couple guys they really loved.

I guess it's all about potential and taking risks. And maybe some luck here and there

lol...what do you work for this Idziot....yeah that plan worked real well for islanders for last 10 years - how many #1 picks do they have playing for them?

or the 20 other NFL teams who never make the playoffs each year cause they have no money and no choice but try to build thru the draft (lions et all)

I for one will not be OK with another fkg losing season because Idziot has some stupid Seatle plan...fk that!

Did you just compare Seattle's strategy to the Islanders strategy? 

I compared Idziots perceived strategy to that of real world examples of building via draft.

The truth is Seattle didn't just build through the draft.   One of their early moves was trading for Lynch.  A guy who has pretty much been one of the major factors to that offense.     So when people start throwing out "build through the draft" and use Seattle as an example,  it's kind of ignoring the facts of how that team was built.

Archived