Woody Johnson Nixed Jets' Role In Draft Day Because We're Dumb

RutgersJetFan

Jets experience brush with Hollywood
April, 11, 2014
Apr 11
12:30
AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
The New York Jets, who have a history with Broadway (see Joe Namath), almost made it to Hollywood.

A  year ago, the Jets mulled a key role in "Draft Day," which opens Friday across the country. The movie, starring Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner, uses real NFL team names in a fictional story about the Cleveland Browns, who make a blockbuster trade to acquire the No. 1 overall pick. In the original script, their trading partner was the Jets, who pass up the opportunity to draft a blue-chip quarterback.

But in the actual movie, the Jets are nowhere to be seen. Their role is played by the Seattle Seahawks. So what happened? Conflicting versions emerged.

The director, Ivan Reitman, told the Los Angeles Times the Jets backed out several days before last year's draft in New York City -- where much of the movie is filmed -- because they were concerned about their quarterback situation and a potential backlash from their fans.

“They were having something of a quarterback dispute, and the team said that this is just going to incite our fans a little more to criticize us, even though it’s all fictional,” Reitman told the newspaper, adding that he had to scramble to secure the Seahawks at the 11th hour.

At the time, the Jets were immersed in a quarterback mess. They went into the draft with five quarterbacks, including Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow, and they added a sixth by drafting Geno Smith. The Times article suggests the Jets, who have a history of draft-day blunders, didn't want to be connected to another one, albeit fictional.

But there's another side to the story.

The Jets were open to participating in the movie, but they expressed hesitancy because the original script portrayed their fans in a negative light, according to a source familiar with the team-selection process. Everybody knows Jets fans aren't wallflowers at the draft, but the producers wanted to take it to the extreme. When they got back to the producers to discuss possible changes to the script, the Jets were told they were out of the picture, said the source, adding that the team's reluctance had nothing to do with its uncertain quarterback situation.

The Seahawks apparently had no problem allowing themselves to get fleeced by the Browns' general manager, played by Costner. Obviously, it didn't ruin the Seahawks' karma, as they went on to win the Super Bowl. As for the Jets, hey, that's show biz.

They were right. I garuantee there would have been a 20 page thread here regarding the fictional jets making that trade. It would be analyzed and scrutinized. 

"stupid Idzik, he could have gotten more for that #1 pick."

"Tommy Gogetter was a true #1 cant miss prospect and the jets screwed it up."

"this is why we will never win a championship"

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. We don't, you get this thread. We do, you have people telling Woody to care more about winning and less about Hollywood and publicity. For a fan-base that criticizes him for perpetually chasing the spotlight, I would imagine this is a move they'd like. I don't particularly care either way, I'm not gonna see the movie until I can download it or it comes on HBO.

Collision Low Crossers is about the 2011 season and ends well before any of this happened, so it's pretty prescient if it did but I kind of doubt it.

There were still Tanny leftovers around last year for the draft. Just saying if the Jets(Woody) were actually concerned about access that book would have never been written. It was wayyy more eye opening than any scene in a Costner movie could be...I would think.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. We don't, you get this thread. We do, you have people telling Woody to care more about winning and less about Hollywood and publicity. For a fan-base that criticizes him for perpetually chasing the spotlight, I would imagine this is a move they'd like. I don't particularly care either way, I'm not gonna see the movie until I can download it or it comes on HBO.

Spot on.  

Collision Low Crossers is about the 2011 season and ends well before any of this happened, so it's pretty prescient if it did but I kind of doubt it.

I really wished I wasn't a Jets fan when I was reading that book. It's great, but from our perspective it's just a whole lot of "yup, this is pretty much what I expected regarding Rex and Sanchez."

Meh, not if they'd just said no. The fact that the front office has to verbalize that we're a collective Jay and Silent Bob is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPIsSNEUmc4

You know, maybe one night me and Lunch Box are out we're mackin' some chick and sh*t, and she's, like, "Ooh, I want to suck youse guys' dicks off," and she's, like, "What your names?" And I'm, like, "Jay and Silent Bob." Reco'nize. And she's like, "Oh, I've read on the Internet that ****in' youse guys are a couple of little ****in' jerkoffs." And then she goes and sucks two other guys' dicks off instead. Well, **** that.

You know, maybe one night me and Lunch Box are out we're mackin' some chick and sh*t, and she's, like, "Ooh, I want to suck youse guys' dicks off," and she's, like, "What your names?" And I'm, like, "Jay and Silent Bob." Reco'nize. And she's like, "Oh, I've read on the Internet that ****in' youse guys are a couple of little ****in' jerkoffs." And then she goes and sucks two other guys' dicks off instead. Well, **** that.

Butt ******* Brady Bunch.

thank F'in GOD!!

All we need to is to have portrayed in a movie what the Jets have been for many many years, and that's draft blunderers.   Just let it be someone else. there are 31 other teams out there.

Archived