For anyone that puts stock in this Wonderlic scores for top QB's in draft

faba

Report: Manziel got 32 on Wonderlic
Updated: April 11, 2014, 11:39 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Manziel's Wonderful Wonderlic
ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates discusses Johnny Manziel's score on the Wonderlic and how it could affect his draft stock.Tags: Johnny ManzielJohnny FootballNFL2014NFL Draft,Houston Texan
Johnny Manziel reportedly scored a 32 on the Wonderlic test at the NFL scouting combine, potentially boosting his stock among NFL franchises considering selecting the former Texas A&M quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner with their first-round pick.

The NFL Network's Albert Breer tweeted out the scores of some of the top quarterback prospects, reporting that Manziel scored a 32, while former Central Florida quarterbackBlake Bortles scored 28 and former Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater scored 20. Former Cornell quarterback Jeff Mathews had the highest score among signal callers with a 40. Breer did not report on the scores of any other quarterbacks available in May's draft.

The Wonderlic is a 50-question test administered to all combine participants that measures cognitive ability. The time limit is 12 minutes. A score of 20 is indicative of "average" intelligence and roughly equivalent to an IQ of 100. Former Bengals punter Pat McInally, who attended Harvard, is the only NFL prospect known to have score a perfect 50 on the test.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, among the 31 projected 2014 QB starters who have a reported Wonderlic score, the average is 29.4. The Kansas City ChiefsAlex Smith has the highest (40). The Indianapolis ColtsAndrew Luck and San Francisco 49ersColin Kaepernickshare the highest score (37) for quarterbacks drafted in the last three seasons.

Manziel is ranked No. 18 overall in ESPN Scouts Inc.'s list of top 32 prospects. Both ESPN's Todd McShay and Mel Kiper have the Minnesota Vikings picking him eighth overall in their latest mock drafts.

What I can't understand is how can someone get single digits. Do they lose points more for a wrong answer than for a non-answer (blank)? Some of these have only 3 answers to choose from (never mind how simple they are).

One kid from Iowa St. got a 4 once. A freaking FOUR. How the hell can you guess wrong 46x out of 50? Two current NFLers each got a 6 (Gore & Claiborne). Though both I think have severe LD issues perhaps more than pure intelligence issues, how can they not know to just put "b" or "c" for every answer?

Ridiculous.

Where can I take this? I want to get a better understanding of how hard college has failed these kids

its out there, google it

it all begins in high school when these kids get passed along to keep the coaches happy

What I can't understand is how can someone get single digits. Do they lose points more for a wrong answer than for a non-answer (blank)? Some of these have only 3 answers to choose from (never mind how simple they are).

One kid from Iowa St. got a 4 once. A freaking FOUR. How the hell can you guess wrong 46x out of 50? Two current NFLers each got a 6 (Gore & Claiborne). Though both I think have severe LD issues perhaps more than pure intelligence issues, how can they not know to just put "b" or "c" for every answer?

Ridiculous.

I am pretty sure a "4" means he is not capable of breathing on his own. And a 6, they aren't capable of reading. 

Ridiculous.

Do you remember that part in Blue Chips where the girlfriend from Sneakers had to tutor Shaq so he could pass his SATs? So that's kind of why.

Ridiculous.

The way I understand it, the questions are not that difficult. It is the short amount of time that separates the low from the high scorers. Can definitely see how someone who is intelligent but has a learning disability would score very low. Of course part of football is processing information and making decisions quickly, especially for QBs.

I guess my point is it likely doesn't perfectly correlate to IQ. If you had an IQ of 100 (average) but had dyslexia, you would likely score below 20.

its out there, google it

it all begins in high school when these kids get passed along to keep the coaches happy

That's exactly it.  The kids can't be stupid because to get drafted they have to be able to execute complicated plays.  Some kids grow up in an environment that school is not emphasized, they can play so they get pushed along with school officials looking the other way.  Their world intersects the academic world only at a few well-controlled points.  Then they give these kids the Wonderlic and everyone wonders how this can happen, etc etc.

Do you remember that part in Blue Chips where the girlfriend from Sneakers had to tutor Shaq so he could pass his SATs? So that's kind of why.

Never saw it.

And on the SATs, you lose 1/4 point (or 1/5 point) for a wrong answer.

I don't know if that's the case. And as DMC alluded to, some of the questions are 1+2 simple.

Wow. He really has no excuse for wiping out--all the physical tools and above avg intelligence. He really must be a lazy SOB.

JaMarcus Russell has fairly obvious psychological and addiction issues that were never seriously addressed for equally obvious reasons. It would have been nice to see how good he really could have been.

Archived