Wilkerson: I want to be a Jet for life

Lizard King

102013jets28cw.jpg?w=322&h=215&crop=1

Muhammad Wilkerson isn’t keeping his feelings about the Jets close to the vest.

Whatever leverage the Pro Bowl defensive lineman might have had in his ongoing contract talks appeared to go right out the window Thursday when Wilkerson told The Post he had informed the team in January he wants to be “a Jet for life.”

“I told them at the end of the year last year that I want to be a Jet — a Jet for life,” Wilkerson said at a Play 60 appearance at the team’s headquarters. “I’m from the area [Linden, N.J.], I’m a local guy, so I would love to be here and finish my career here.”

Wilkerson also reiterated he will not hold out this summer if the Jets — as expected — pick up the cheaper fifth-year option in his current contract instead of signing him to a more lucrative long-term deal.

Wilkerson told The Post talks about a long-term contract are ongoing between his agent and the Jets, but the slow pace set by general manager John Idzik doesn’t worry him.

“That’s what I have an agent for,” Wilkerson said. “I’m not holding out. My agent is talking with Idzik, and that’s all I can say. I have nothing to do with that. I’m just going to let him take care of that. That’s his job. I’m just here to play ball.

“It is what it is. If [a long-term deal] happens, it happens. I don’t control what goes on upstairs.”

Wilkerson, in fact, praised Idzik and defended him against fan base grumbling about the GM’s relative inactivity in free agency.

“I’m all about all the moves they’ve made here,” Wilkerson said. “We have a great GM here in Idzik, and he’s a man with a plan. We’re going to rally behind him and do what we have to do.”

One of Idzik’s few moves this offseason was the signing of Michael Vick, another move that has Wilkerson smiling.

Wilkerson insisted Vick would help second-year quarterback Geno Smith instead of be a threat to Smith’s development.

“[Vick’s] a veteran leader, and I’m looking forward to him coming in here and helping out the offense as well as the organization,” Wilkerson said. “His résumé speaks for itself in the league. He was with [offensive coordinator] Marty [Mornhinweg] in Philly, so I think that’ll help. He’s used to the system, and I think that he’ll definitely help Geno move forward at this young stage in his career.”

Wilkerson also reiterated he will not hold out this summer if the Jets — as expected — pick up the cheaper fifth-year option in his current contract instead of signing him to a more lucrative long-term deal.

SOMEONE TELL THIS GOD DAMN AGENT ABOUT EFFICIENT BREACH RIGHT NOW.

Good to hear a player professing loyalty - we need to take care of him financially

Hopefully the organization remembers this because ownership is rarely ever given sh_t for being business oriented but usually players who don't just leave everything up to their agents and are very business minded are more often looked at as disloyal or money grubbers. 

This is one of areas that I never got upset at Revis about though as a fan I obviously wanted him on the field and in training camp. I hope the Jets dont take advantage of this loyal gesture by Wilk. 

Translation: I want to get paid now.

The JETS can wait two more seasons before signing him to a long term contract. Most players from his draft class will have to try this tactic. The "I want to play for my team for life" so get me a big contract now.

I am a Mo Wilk fan but Idzik can go slow on the talks till he hears something he likes that weighs in good on the risk/reward scale.

Idzik should be in Canton for drafting Wilk and getting him to want to be a Jet for life!

Idzik didnt draft Mo...

And im not willing to give TannenBUM a golden jacket for that s#!t either!

He will be a jet for life if the pay him ! Everyone should realize this by now he's not signing for less. And nobody in his draft class has signed yet either and the CBA really doesn't let them hold out . The better question is what will it take to sign him. ?

"I want to be a Jet for life." - Darrelle Revis

At the risk of sounding like a real sh*t heel, I don't want ANY Jet to be a Jet for life, unless his life is very short. All that means to me is that whoever it is will be sucking the salary cap dry in the last two years of their career. Oh wait, maybe Tanner Purdum. Is he eligible?

It'll be sad when they cut Mo Wilkerson before the announced terms of his contract are up, particularly since he'll probably restructure a couple times to help out. It's cool THO since that has no effect on the world whatsoever.

No way. Not this guy. Franchise cornerstone material.

Archived