The Jets are owned by an idiot which you already knew

Bugg

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, the game experience at the Meadowlands was 1000 times better than Shea. It was had better sight lines, better parking, better everything. 

The whole second class citizen thing really only exists in the minds of some Jets fans and Giants fans exploit it. 

I was born in the Bronx, grew up in North Jersey, went to college in South Jersey. I've lived in South Carolina, Texas and Florida. The only place where this is an issue for anyone is the New York area. I know people who are die-hard football fans from different parts of the country who never even realized that the Jets played in the same stadium as the Giants, probably because CBS always referred to it as "The Meadowlands" when the Jets were playing. 

When you get over your own inferiority complex and look at it objectively, the game day experience at the Meadowlands blew away Shea. 

Since you call me dude I'll call you Spicoli

Mr. Spicoli, You are so wrong on so many fronts.

One, Commercial Jets did not fly over Shea every 30 seconds as you claim. It was frequent but not 30 seconds and was some what of a home fileld advantage and if you werent aware that is why they became the Jets because of the LAG flight paths.

Two, and here is your quote "Only the Jets had to suffer the indignity of not playing at "home" for the first 3rd to half of the season because the Mets treated them like garbage."

Really? not being able to play at home for half a season? Never happened. I think a few  times they opened a season with 3 or 4 road games but conversely they would get a 3 and 4 game homestand to compensate.

Three, It has nothing to do about any inferiority complex. Jets fans who live in New York wanted their team to stay and play in New York not in their hated rivals out of state stadium. And as far as "game day experience" I think you have been reading too many PSL brochures with the corporate lingo and such.

Funny how the Mets never threatened to move because of wet bathroom floors.

Whatevs. You are a Jersey guy, I get it. 

I still believe they belong in NY, then and now  irregardless ☺ of what you say.

What's wrong with the stadium?

I don't like it as much.  

You're farther from the action due to the incline being steeper.  

I think it's ugly.  Corridors of unpainted/unfinished cinderblocks.  

Parking is very difficult.

Traffic flow stinks, particularly going east to/through the city after the game.  You have to drive in a big mess, or if you want to take public transportation it's a massive wait to get onto the train with lots of pushing where we're like a giant herd of cattle.  Then when you finally DO get onto a train, you have to go backwards to Secaucus and then transfer onto another train. That's just to get you as far as Penn Station.   Very little was done (or very little was done competently) to deal with 80,000 people leaving at the same time.

BP mentioned one of the things I did like in the old stadium, which was the circular ramps to get out.  I know they had some incidents, but it was way better.  If it was that bad at halftime then just block them off at halftime.  

I would have liked a roof if they were going to spend that much money (particularly when so much of it is the people's money not just the owners' money).  When I was younger I didn't mind the cold as much.  Also I was dumber and/or was just happy to be there.  Now I hate it.  All game long sitting there in the freezing wind, or even worse, freezing rain.  For that much effort to get there, for these ticket prices, and to leave a warm/comfortable environment, I don't want to freeze in a giant AC unit with unpainted gray cinderblock corridors for ambiance. 

There are some things that are better, like more/better concessions and bathrooms (both in quantity and cleanliness).  But any new or renovated stadium would have those things.  The 4 screens are pretty big and pretty nice, but then compare them to the ones in Dallas and they don't seem quite as awesome.

In the end, it just has no personality or character.  They were supposed to make it so that depending on who was playing the stadium would light up green or blue or whatever.  They do that, but it's barely visible unless you're getting there for a night game when it's already dark out.  And even then, it only really looks green from afar.  When you're right there walking around outside it, the green is barely discernible when it's not pitch black out and even then it's not THAT green.

With the exception of a nicer place to piss, better screens than Giants Stadium had, and the lack of "Giants Stadium" signs outside, I don't even like the new stadium better.  I had mid-upper level EZ seats for years and never felt as isolated from the action as the new stadium.  And for the kind of money they spent and the magnitude of the project, there should be no comparison whatsoever; literally everything should be superior in every way. And it isn't. The getting to/from it in particular is something I hoped they would have worked on more (or really I wish they'd just left NJ altogether).  If I lived in NJ, admittedly, that would be less of a factor. 

So I just stay home now.  I'd consider going to a meaningful game & just stay overnight nearby, but on a regular basis the meh experience is not worth the effort for me.

And with the exception of a shorter commute in/out for some, I can't see how anyone liked watching the game from inside Shea better than either Giants Stadium or MetLife.  What a freaking shthole, and because of the shape of a baseball stadium there really aren't any amazing seats.  Even LL 50 yard line seats you're so much farther from the action than in a real football stadium.  So it's an improvement from Shea, or had they worked out a deal to co-occupy Citi Field (which wouldn't have enough seats anyway).  Would have been cool if they built their own place in that area, though, and with a permanent or retractable roof.

The kind of prices they're charging people now, compared to the tickets through the late 90s, IMO commands someplace that isn't frigidly cold.  If you can afford $5000-$10000 PSLs for 2-4 seats, chances are you're comfortable enough in life that you don't like to sit outside in the rain for hours.  When tickets were $25 and parking was $10 and I was younger & lived in the city? You put up with a lot.  For 4-5 figures for the privilege of buying seats 2-5x that (and if they're only 2x that, you're like a full level higher/farther from the action)? Mrs. Sperm and I are staying home or going down the street to a bar. 

PSLs are just the dumbest ever in a shared stadium.  Two different people own the PSL for the same seat? Lol if you bought one.  I still wouldn't buy one probably, but I could theoretically see the value if it was a true PSL where you get first dibs on any concert/event at the venue.  But what the Jets/Giants have done with their fans? It's bullsht, if not outright offensive.

If you like going, and feel the experience is worth the expense, then power to you.  Everyone's different so do what you like.  For me, it's too much of a pain to carve out the entire day for a 3 hr game outdoors.  Especially in the last 1/2 to 1/4 of the season when the weather can get pretty nasty out up here even on a relatively "nice" winter day.

Yes, I never shut up about it.

nfl-fans-map.jpg

See that little speck of green on LI? That's the only county in the country that prefers the Jets. Would've been nice to keep training camp here.

that is amazing. that we got one county, I mean.

Sperm nailed it. When I was at Shea the seats were mezzanine directly behind home plate ( which was an end zone) when somebody had the ball on the open end of the field you couldn't see sh*t.

Finally, can you tell mrs. Sperm that her stalker ( legendary jets fan joe Grinwis) doesn't post here anymore. Please bring back mrs. Sperm

Since you call me dude I'll call you Spicoli

Mr. Spicoli, You are so wrong on so many fronts.

One, Commercial Jets did not fly over Shea every 30 seconds as you claim. It was frequent but not 30 seconds and was some what of a home fileld advantage and if you werent aware that is why they became the Jets because of the LAG flight paths.

Two, and here is your quote "Only the Jets had to suffer the indignity of not playing at "home" for the first 3rd to half of the season because the Mets treated them like garbage."

Really? not being able to play at home for half a season? Never happened. I think a few  times they opened a season with 3 or 4 road games but conversely they would get a 3 and 4 game homestand to compensate.

Three, It has nothing to do about any inferiority complex. Jets fans who live in New York wanted their team to stay and play in New York not in their hated rivals out of state stadium. And as far as "game day experience" I think you have been reading too many PSL brochures with the corporate lingo and such.

Funny how the Mets never threatened to move because of wet bathroom floors.

Whatevs. You are a Jersey guy, I get it. 

I still believe they belong in NY, then and now  irregardless ☺ of what you say.

From 1968 to 1974 the Jets played at least their first three games on the road every year, never having a home game in September.

In 1969 and 1973, they played their first five and six games on the road (these were 14 game seasons.) You may say that was because the Mets were in the World Series. Well, the Orioles (who at the time shared Memorial Stadium with the Colts) were also in the World Series in 1969 and the Colts played their season opener at home and were home again in week 3. In 1973, the Raiders played their home opener in week 2, in September. 

It wasn't until the Jets sued the Mets that they got to start playing home games in September. **** the Mets and **** Shea Stadium.

Look, I don't know what I did to offend you and at this point, I don't ******* care.

Alls I know is you used to be a good dude and now you're an annoying ****tard.

Toughen your skin up "dude" I'm just ******* with you. You're getting pretty worked up over something I would assume wouldn't bother you ( unless it's true of course lol )

Sperm nailed it. When I was at Shea the seats were mezzanine directly behind home plate ( which was an end zone) when somebody had the ball on the open end of the field you couldn't see sh*t.

Finally, can you tell mrs. Sperm that her stalker ( legendary jets fan joe Grinwis) doesn't post here anymore. Please bring back mrs. Sperm

I nailed what -- Mrs. Sperm? I suppose that's true, but that's another discussion altogether.

Oh man, I forgot about that game.  I think he just had one (or ten) too many.  Mrs. Sperm's a knockout, and unless he's secretly a criminal he wouldn't have done anything, but the staring was still a little icky.

And we haven't been to a game since!

OK not really, but it seemed funny when I typed it. 

From 1968 to 1974 the Jets played at least their first three games on the road every year, never having a home game in September.

In 1969 and 1973, they played their first five and six games on the road (these were 14 game seasons.) You may say that was because the Mets were in the World Series. Well, the Orioles (who at the time shared Memorial Stadium with the Colts) were also in the World Series in 1969 and the Colts played their season opener at home and were home again in week 3. In 1973, the Raiders played their home opener in week 2, in September. 

It wasn't until the Jets sued the Mets that they got to start playing home games in September. **** the Mets and **** Shea Stadium.

Sharpen you pencil and let me know when the Jets played the 1st half of a season on the road as you claimed. And no mention of the extended home stands they received because of the away games? Dont care what you want to throw out there, We know Shea was a sh*thole but if Hess was so smart he would have figured a way to keep them in NY. People think Johnson is a jackass? He looks like Paul Brown next to Hess the guy that moved the New York Jets to a stadium named for their biggest rival and then was having an orgasm when Kotite was available for hire.

He's a rich guy who never had to work a day in his life. He knows little to nothing about football and I don't think he cares as much about winning as he does his bottom line. Rich guys are kinda like that. He is a freakin turnip as far as I am concerned.

I think NY actually got something right this time. Sharing the stadium is the smartest idea honestly. They actually both saved money and tax payer dollars didn't go to the building of two new stadiums.

And not once when you are their for a live game does it feel like the giants even own it.

That place is a beacon of economic efficiency

Archived