Stephen Hill

joewilly12

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN New York confirms the Jets' "patience is wearing thin" with third-year WR Stephen Hill.

The Jets aren't counting on Hill as anything more than a No. 4 receiver coming off two injury- and dropped-filled seasons. His roster spot is in jeopardy, and ESPN's Rich Cimini fully expects the Jets to draft a receiver in the first two rounds to complement Eric Decker. Hill has 4.36 speed and ideal size, but has been a major disappointment since being the 43rd overall pick in 2012.

This is exactly what he needs to be.  The #4 or #5 guy and if he wants anything more, he can earn it.  David Nelson has shown more and should be ahead of him on the depth chart.

wow.  I didn't realize that

I'd let him come to camp and compete, maybe he needs to feel threatened, that his draft status isn't keeping him around anymore

I don't even think it's that.  From what I have read he's a nice kid and a hard worker.  He was little more then a high school kid would be when he came in here, and from a college offense that is very for from the NFL.  He made improvement from year one to year two.  Was playing well early, then got hurt on a monster hit on a nice catch.  Injured his ribs, received a concussion, played hurt the rest of the season and didn't look like much.

Think he'll be improved again this year, and develop into a very nice #2 WR.  Big mistake letting this kid go this year

I don't give Dunbar all the credit, despite the fact that the man has produced elite DLs wherever he's been. As it relates to Hill, Rex announced he was the starter right after drafting him. That was idiotic.

I don't remember Rex's words, but that would surprise me seeing as how he despised that pick to begin with. Either way, the draft needs to come quick, we need new players to complain talk about.  And you're still a penis. 

I already get bitch-smacked around for one week out of every month by someone much shorter than me. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

Just always carry chocolate and hold it at arms length during those weeks. That and preemptively saying you're right, it's the only things I've come up with.

The Jets are very likely to draft a WR in the first or second round this year, who'll probably be the favorite to start opposite Decker. Kerley has the slot role locked up. Unless Hill shows massive improvement, and can beat the rookie out, he'll be fighting for playing time this year with Nelson. And having a young, big, fast guy with starting experience as your fourth or fifth WR isn't such a bad situation.

The Jets are very likely to draft a WR in the first or second round this year, who'll probably be the favorite to start opposite Decker.  

i dont have the numbers handy but rookies WR don't usually start day 1. Even first round rookie WR. The route trees are so complex in the pros and all the hot reads etc. 

i dont have the numbers handy but rookies WR don't usually start day 1. Even first round rookie WR. The route trees are so complex in the pros and all the hot reads etc.

I'd agree normally but, the Jets receiving line up was the worst in the NFL at some points last year.

I'd agree normally but, the Jets receiving line up was the worst in the NFL at some points last year.

That doesn't make the knowledge of the rookies any more complete. Basically only the Larry Fitz or Calvin types start day 1. the rest get worked in. Right now the WR corp is Decker, Nelson, Kerley, Hill in that order. It's unclear that Ford is a WR of anykind, might be a pure KR. THere is a chance they bring in another vet for example Miles Austin. I don't see how a rookie gets above Kerley on the week 1 depth chart

That was the case years ago, before colleges threw as much as they do today, and RBs won the Heisman every year. Receivers come into the league much more NFL ready now, except Stephen Hill, who had like 30 career catches on a run oriented team.

If they draft a kid with 80 catches and 1000 yards in a college season, he'll arrive favored to start.

That doesn't make the knowledge of the rookies any more complete. Basically only the Larry Fitz or Calvin types start day 1. the rest get worked in. Right now the WR corp is Decker, Nelson, Kerley, Hill in that order. It's unclear that Ford is a WR of anykind, might be a pure KR. THere is a chance they bring in another vet for example Miles Austin. I don't see how a rookie gets above Kerley on the week 1 depth chart

To go off of this, I think there's a good chance Kerley gets the nod as starter and is, based on the overall depth chart, considered to be the #2, but simply gets kicked inside whenever they move into 3+ WR sets.  In that case you'll then have any combination of Nelson, Hill, a rookie, etc. available to split out wide across from Decker.

To go off of this, I think there's a good chance Kerley gets the nod as starter and is, based on the overall depth chart, considered to be the #2, but simply gets kicked inside whenever they move into 3+ WR sets.  In that case you'll then have any combination of Nelson, Hill, a rookie, etc. available to split out wide across from Decker.

Is Salas still on the team? He showed some flashes and seems like he'd do well in the slot.

That was the case years ago, before colleges threw as much as they do today, and RBs won the Heisman every year. Receivers come into the league much more NFL ready now, except Stephen Hill, who had like 30 career catches on a run oriented team.

If they draft a kid with 80 catches and 1000 yards in a college season, he'll arrive favored to start.

You are talking in generalities, but in specific it just doesn't happen that much: That a rookie WR starts for his drafted team by week 1. By mid year, sure. By week 1 is a tall order. Even Keenan Allen didn't start week 1 last year.

You are talking in generalities, but in specific it just doesn't happen that much: That a rookie WR starts for his drafted team by week 1. By mid year, sure. By week 1 is a tall order. Even Keenan Allen didn't start week 1 last year.

I'm also talking about the Jets. This theoretically drafted WR would be competing with Hill and Nelson for the starting job. I'll stick with my assessment that a WR taken in the first or second round in this deep WR class will be favored to win the starting job on the Jets, week one.

I'm also talking about the Jets. This theoretically drafted WR would be competing with Hill and Nelson for the starting job. I'll stick with my assessment that a WR taken in the first or second round in this deep WR class will be favored to win the starting job on the Jets, week one.

This statement underrates David Nelson. 

Looking back... it's hard to find WR who start from day 1. I think deandre hopkins was the only one from last year. 

Is Salas still on the team? He showed some flashes and seems like he'd do well in the slot.

Salas is signed for the season. The trouble is that Kerley, Nelson and Salas all play better out of the slot. Cimini has been spewing this sh*t for months.  I think he is the one that "broke" the story that they were considering benching Hill, but when the quotes came out, Mornhingweg was apologizing for riding him too hard in practice when the kid had sore knees while letting everybody else take time for being dinged.  Mornhinweg was actually saying that HIll would be more effective if they limited his reps (particularly in practice) because he was dealing with a sore knee.

ESPN New York confirms the Jets' "patience is wearing thin" with third-year WR Stephen Hill.

The Jets aren't counting on Hill as anything more than a No. 4 receiver coming off two injury- and dropped-filled seasons. His roster spot is in jeopardy, and ESPN's Rich Cimini fully expects the Jets to draft a receiver in the first two rounds to complement Eric Decker. Hill has 4.36 speed and ideal size, but has been a major disappointment since being the 43rd overall pick in 2012.

No sh*t, and really not that big a deal. If we're going to discount the Revises of the NFL world then I don't particularly care for the names at WR either. Stephen Hill never was an Andre Johnson or any other current/former elite level prospect,  the only people who think the Jets thought that way are probably deluded to how the draft often works. They're not so much down on him as noting that, going into year 3 at age 23, he isn't a bonafide starting WR on a team with horrible depth at the position all around him. The age and tools still give some room for optimism - he's extremely young right now for a third year player, as old as some of the older draft prospects this year.

Salas is signed for the season. The trouble is that Kerley, Nelson and Salas all play better out of the slot. Cimini has been spewing this sh*t for months.  I think he is the one that "broke" the story that they were considering benching Hill, but when the quotes came out, Mornhingweg was apologizing for riding him too hard in practice when the kid had sore knees while letting everybody else take time for being dinged.  Mornhinweg was actually saying that HIll would be more effective if they limited his reps (particularly in practice) because he was dealing with a sore knee.

Hill wasn't terrible through week 3 last year.   His season changed when got lit up vs. Tennessee.     Yes, he's generally been a disappointment as a Jet but I though he showed some promise at the beginning of the season, he just wasn't the same player after the TEN game. 

Exactly. Catching is so overrated anyways.

I know this haha very funny, play to JN's LCD, but the kid caught the ball fine.  He is never going to be smooth, but he was not dropping the ball or missing catches last year.  It was not a strength (not high-pointing,etc) , but not a problem either. 

His catch rate was 41%.

How many of them were deemed catchable passes though? He was dinged for one dropped ball on the season last year, his hands really aren't the problem.  You want to go into poor route running, poor awareness etc. that's fine, but his hands really aren't that bad.  In fact, if you go look up his combine results, scouts were actually quite impressed with how he handled the gauntlet drill and route tree. 

I don't give Dunbar all the credit, despite the fact that the man has produced elite DLs wherever he's been. As it relates to Hill, Rex announced he was the starter right after drafting him. That was idiotic.

So has Rex.

And was he stupid when on opening day Hill went for 5 for 89 and 2 TD's?  Was HE!?!!!?!!!

I bet Hill has a respectable season...he was playing well at the beginning of last season. 

41% of targets. Keeps it clean. Going around deeming things always screws with the numbers.

What was his role?  Holmes had one less catch (but considerably more yards) with the same number of targets.  FWIW, I think there were games where HIll was the only healthy WR on the team and Geno was forcing it in Hill's general direction. 

That's only because you think David nelson = Mike Evans, so your viewpoint is skewed.

there was a time I thought that to be true. But in late Jan, even before the combine, i basically admitted that was wrong. There's film of him outrunning the Bama secondary and other top athletes. He's got serious speed. 

Archived