When the New York Titans became the New York Jets

F.Chowds

namath.jpg?w=219AP

Fifty-one years ago Tuesday, the New York Titans scrapped their old name and unveiled a new one: the Jets.

Club president / CEO Sonny Werblin made the call, with the positioning of home field Shea Stadium between Idlewild and LaGuardia Airports one key element in the decision, according to the club. For the 1963 season, the Jets had an airplaneemblazoned on their helmets before changing the look the next year.

And that wasn’t all for key franchise decisions made on April 15, 1963. The Jets hired their only Super Bowl-winning coach in their history, tabbing ex-Colts coach Weeb Ewbank as head coach and G.M.

About Ewbank: he led Baltimore to two NFL titles (1958, 1959), but he was replaced by Don Shula after a 7-7 season in 1962. However, Ewbank’s Jets would later get the best of Shula’s Colts in Super Bowl III, with the Jets pulling off a historic 16-7 upset in 1969.

Finally, about the “Jets” nickname: it has aged well, given air travel’s great importance. Moreover, the “J-E-T-S” chant does have a certain ring to it. Finally, is also the NFL’s shortest moniker — four characters, a distinction it shares with the Rams.

I wonder how much synergy came from the Mets being in place a year prior to the name change? One would think the three "newby" teams (Mets, Jets, and then eventually Nets) would have wanted to establish some sort of common identity that could tap into the already established Yankees, Giants, and Knicks fan base.

I wonder how much synergy came from the Mets being in place a year prior to the name change? One would think the three "newby" teams (Mets, Jets, and then eventually Nets) would have wanted to establish some sort of common identity that could tap into the already established Yankees, Giants, and Knicks fan base.

What about the uniform change?  I guess Titans was just a play on Giants.  I always thought that Werblin changed the colors to green because it was the color of money, but the only quotes I see are "Sonny, as in money!"  and nothing about the uniforms. 

Archived