Jets interested in Sidney Rice (per source)

Arsis

I'm all for getting Rice too... then we can grab the best CB available with our 1st rounder and still add another WR and a TE 2 & 3.

This statement is said so often on football message boards and yet never makes sense to me. How can you say any of this without knowing who's on the board? 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you're saying Sidney Rice would play a bigger role than Chris Johnson, am I getting this right?

I'm saying they'd be equally important. #2 WR is just as important as the role than Chris Johnson will be playing.

You really dont see the difference between Sidney Rice and Chris Johnson?

Not really. 28 is the beginning of the end for a lot of RBs. 28 is when the light switches on for some WRs. If anything, we need a WR more than a RB. I jsut don't understand the juxtaposition of the logic here.

I'm saying they'd be equally important. #2 WR is just as important as the role than Chris Johnson will be playing.

Not really. 28 is the beginning of the end for a lot of RBs. 28 is when the light switches on for some WRs. If anything, we need a WR more than a RB. I jsut don't understand the juxtaposition of the logic here.

No, I totally agree with the idea, I just think it's incredibly optimistic to think Sidney Rice would be that guy.

This statement is said so often on football message boards and yet never makes sense to me. How can you say any of this without knowing who's on the board? 

Yup, it's like the inversion (perversion?) of BPA. You're totally free now to take a CB! Awesome.

Guess I should have specified and said provided one of the 4 top CBs are still on the board, which I see as highly likely... This statement is purely a matter of opinion. I'm not saying I think it's what they'll do. Specifically wishful thinking.

CJ has never rushed for less than 1,000 yards, he has a historic season under his belt, CJ has missed like 2 games in his entire career.  Whereas, Rice has played one full season, gone out for the year 4 times in his career missing some like 30 games in 7 years and has once had 1,000 yard season and it took Favre having a career year to get him there.  All that said, Johnson has more receptions in 6 years than Rice does in his 7. 

I can completely understand the logic.  They are not comparable players other than being 28 years old.

Free agent Sidney Rice is visiting the Jets.

After locking up Chris Johnson earlier Wednesday, the Jets are now turning their attention to Rice. Rice was just cleared for football activities earlier this week, five months after tearing his ACL. He and GM John Idzik know each other from their days together in Seattle. Rice would be a passable No. 2 receiver opposite Eric Decker with Jeremy Kerley manning the slot. Rice should be cheap.

Rice has talent. His problem is staying on the field. He'll come cheap, so it's a low risk/high reward move, and won't deter them from drafting a receiver if a good one is there for the taking.

Pretty much. Rice is actually an extremely talented player, just can't stay on the field to put it all together. His last healthy season was 2012 and although his numbers don't look great, that was more a product of the offense that Seattle ran and Wilson being a rookie.  He had the 14th best DYAR, 7th best DVOA, had a 62% catch rate and drew 74 yards of defensive pass interference. If he can stay healthy, which is a big if, he would be a valuable option opposite Decker. This is one of those Idzik connections that I wanted since the off-season started and really hope he lands it.

NEW YORK JETS

Source: Sidney Rice visits Jets

April, 16, 2014

APR 16

7:00

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Injury-plagued wide receiver Sidney Rice, cut by the Seattle Seahawks after the season, visited with the New York Jets on Wednesday, a league source confirmed.

The Jets already have signed two receivers, Eric Decker and Jacoby Ford, but they still want to build depth. Rice, 27, was once regarded as a rising star, but he has missed 15 of the past 48 games due to knee injuries and concussions. In fact, he tore an ACL last October, causing him to miss the remainder of the season. He reportedly was cleared only recently to return to football activities.

The 6-foot-4 Rice would be an inexpensive acquisition for the Jets, probably a one-year contract for close to the minimum salary. General manager John Idzik is a former Seahawks executive and was partly responsible for signing Rice to a five-year, $41 million contract in 2011. Rice parlayed his one big year (1,312 receiving yards for the Minnesota Vikings in 2010) into the big score.

Rice has 243 catches for 3,592 yards and 30 touchdowns.

I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted multiple olinemen.

I was personally hoping to snag Gabe Jackson with the early 3rd we were going to get from Tampa Bay, but since that was nixed, I'd love to see him there are at mid 3rd or maybe someone like Dakota Dozier with one of our three 4th rounders. It's possible if someone like Xaviar Sa'a Filo falls to the second as well.  I'm not sure a lot of the value where some of these guys stand, but I liked what Dozier did in the Senior Bowl and have always liked Jackson.  

Seahawks re-signed WR Sidney Rice to a one-year contract.

Rice announced his return on his Twitter account. He flirted with the Jets on Wednesday, but that might have been a play to get the Seahawks to step up their efforts. Rice has mostly been a disappointment with the Seahawks the past three seasons and was released by the team in February, but he possesses a strong pair of reliable hands and can play on the outside. After losing Golden Tate to the Lions, the Seahawks were in the market for a a receiver.

As a cheap, veteran depth signing, what's not to like about Rice?  He's not going to be a starter.  They are going to spot him, which may keep him on the field for the season.

Seahawks re-signed WR Sidney Rice to a one-year contract.

Rice announced his return on his Twitter account. He flirted with the Jets on Wednesday, but that might have been a play to get the Seahawks to step up their efforts. Rice has mostly been a disappointment with the Seahawks the past three seasons and was released by the team in February, but he possesses a strong pair of reliable hands and can play on the outside. After losing Golden Tate to the Lions, the Seahawks were in the market for a a receiver.

It would probably mean the Jets wouldn't go WR in the first couple rounds of the Draft.

I think the fact that he is an injury prone receiver who is capable of getting injured again on any given play that they would still hopefully grab a WR at 18.  I'll tell you now though if we grab Rice and either of the 2 top CB's or 2 top Safeties are on the board at 18 they're definitely grabbing one of them.

If he's cheap ok, it would change the draft for the Jets, don't think they'd go WR round one.

So Sidney Rice is going to change a teams draft board? We are talking about the same Sidney Rice that has 1800 yards in the last 4 seasons right? And of course he'll come cheap. Nobody else seems to want him...

Archived