Chris Johnson's a Jet

BroadwayJets

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's he's catching out of the back field that's his x-factor. We just did not have that with Goodson going down. I still think Ivory gets a ton of touches.

I like him better as a running back then Johnson. It's Johnson's ability to catch the ball that's the difference.

meh....I'm not sure how much ( if any) of a market there was for CJ, Vick or even Jackson (who we were never in on).

CJ and Vick are decent signings only because we are so void of offensive talent. Question marks at a decent price but still upgrades nonetheless.

It is  way to soon to say the GM is doing anything more than what any other competent GM would do.  Can't knock him and certainly cannot give him the feverish "he has a plan" applause that has been prematurely bestowed on him.

Whether we were in on Jackson or not was a management decision, not a cap issue. My point is Idzik's management allows us to do some things down the road, that was the point I was getting across. 

Everything has been prematurely bestowed on him if thats the case. If it isn't my position then its the other position talking about how this guy has done nothing in FA, and then after he makes moves then all of a sudden its nothing more than "decent". 

BTW this only ups my urge to land a top OL prospect in this draft. Over drafting a WR doesn't really appeal to me, no Watkins or Evans means no first round WR. Shazier appeals to me at 18, but could see the Ravens taking him at 17. I don't expect Barr or Mack to be there so after Shazier we're out of LBers. Not really interested in going with another first round CB, Rex and the DL can do enough to give Milliner and friends opportunities on the ball - kind of like the Pats in '04 with Seymour/Wilfork/Warren all healthy and dominant and a young Asante Samuel. Not sure about the safeties, so probably no.

CJ is the first player the Jets have had who could score from anywhere on the field since Santana Moss.   

As long as he's not a total pain in the ass about personal stats this is a great signing.    The Jets offense hasn't had explosive players in years.   12 picks in the draft to get a big play WR and this is a totally new offense.    Now if only they could figure the QB.....

Rice and Austin may be done.  It's a long time since either was good. They can sign these guys, but only to deals where they can cut them THIS year.  Like Braylon in 2013. 

Gates was a raw guy coming in and improving.  He was averaging 2 catches a game when he got hurt and that is when they picked up Cribbs.  I was higher on Gates than anybody, but 30 catches and 325 yards was about what I had hoped and it is what his season averages would have been over 16.  Ford already is signed up for that kick return/Josh Cribbs slot.  I'm certainly not saying to keep anybody unless they are going to produce.  Gates doesn't have a roster spot  to give.  They all have to fight for it.  I guess except for Decker. 

Thts right, I forgot about Jacoby Ford being signed. I also think ford is better than both Gates and Cribbs as a receiver though thats based on the stats I've seen. Given the fact that Ford and Goodson can return punts I don't see anything else left for Gates, especially now that we're drafting 1 or 2 more WR's in May that may also be able to contribute to special teams. 

I do agree that the possibility of Rice and Austin being done is legit, but even with that said I feel they're better than a never was like Gates and Hill. I think Gates and Hill are a waste of a roster spot for the simple fact that I feel that there is UDFA's that you could bring in that could possibly contribute. I just don't believe in these two guys, especially Hill. If Hill did two things it would change my view totally. #1. Stop playing smaller than his size. Trust his hands and contest for the ball at the heights point. Don't wait for the ball come all the way down to your body in order to make a play, especially in tight coverage. #2. With all that speed he has, he has zero elusiveness. Take pride in developing your route running and learning how to bate or step on the toes of CB's in order to force them to make an ill advised move. I like speed, but I've never fell in love with the speed demon. I love execution. This is what I like. And if anyone takes a look at the WR's I like they're nowhere near considered a speed demon, but they can break a defender down and find the sweet spot in the defense on the fly. If Hill can do this and establish these intangibles, he'd be a freak in this league. 

Will he though???

Nice signing.  Home run ability.  Now allows us to choose BAP in the draft.  

We can move up for Manziel or Watkins.  Sit tight and pick a QB that's sliding or a WR like OBJ...maybe come back later in first round for Attaochu.

I think Jet fans will end up very disappointed with Johnson.

Meh, he's a veteran role player, getting veteran role player money.

Only fans who will be disappointed are the one's that expect him to be anything more than part of a 2 headed monster rush attack.

Jets sign former Titans RB Chris Johnson

AP8:30 p.m. EDT April 16, 2014
23c5e2e2f1d18d0e510f6a7067000f3e.jpg

(Photo: The Associated Press)

SHARE 1CONNECT 1TWEETCOMMENTEMAILMORE

NEW YORK (AP) — Always fast on the field, Chris Johnson is looking to quickly prove his critics wrong.

The New York Jets signed the former Titans running back Wednesday, a little over a week after he was officially released by Tennessee.

Johnson met with the Jets all day Tuesday — the first team he visited — and stayed in town to watch the Knicks-Nets game in Brooklyn before signing Wednesday. The Jets announced the move, but didn't release terms.

In a text message to The Associated Press, Johnson confirmed it was a two-year deal.

"I have a fresh start," Johnson told The Tennessean. "Now I am going to go out there with a chip on my shoulder. I know a lot of people are doubting me."

Johnson was told by the Titans of their decision April 4, ending a six-year stint in Tennessee during which he became one of the NFL's most exciting running backs. The former 2,000-yard rusher will team with Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell to give coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg a deep and dangerous backfield.

The Jets also have Mike Goodson, who is dealing with legal issues and recovering from torn knee ligaments.

"I've always been a big fan of the Jets," Johnson told the team's website. "There was some thought into this, but just at the end of the day, I was comfortable here. I just felt like it was the right situation."

While his days as a workhorse running back — he carried the ball over 300 times in each of the 2009 and 2010 seasons — might be over, Johnson could be the perfect complement to the bruising Ivory and versatile Powell. In Mornhinweg's first season as offensive coordinator, the Jets finished sixth in the league in rushing last year with Ivory and Powell sharing the load.

Despite the solid production, New York still entered the offseason aiming to improve the position with a big-play runner.

That's exactly what they're hoping to get in the speedy and durable Johnson, who turns 29 in September and is only the sixth player to rush for 1,000 yards in each of his first six seasons.

"I see this as a team on the rise," Johnson told newyorkjets.com. "This is a winning team."

But there have been questions about whether he'll ever be the same player who rushed for 2,006 yards in 2009, when he earned his "CJ2K" nickname.

Johnson finished with 1,077 yards — the second-lowest total of his career — and a career-worst 3.9-yard average last season. He also rushed for 100 or more yards just twice.

The Jets held Johnson to just 21 yards on 15 carries in their 38-13 loss last season at Tennessee, but Johnson gouged them for 122 yards on 21 carries, including a career-best 94-yard touchdown run, in 2012.

The splashy move is reminiscent of the one the Jets made in 2010, when they signed an aging LaDainian Tomlinson, who turned out to be a useful role player. While being deliberate throughout free agency, general manager John Idzik has now signed arguably the three best players available at their positions in Johnson, quarterback Michael Vick and wide receiver Eric Decker.

New York also showed early interest in free agency in running backs Maurice Jones-Drew and Donald Brown, but they signed elsewhere.

The Titans cut ties with Johnson, making him a free agent, to avoid paying the $8 million he was due for this season, along with the final three seasons left on the $53.5 million contract he signed in September 2011. Johnson, who set several franchise and NFL records during his time in Tennessee, repeatedly said he wouldn't take a pay cut this offseason.

That prompted the Titans to unsuccessfully explore trade options this offseason— including with the Jets — before releasing him. Johnson's exit appeared inevitable when Tennessee signed Dexter McCluster to a three-year deal and re-signed Leon Washington to join Shonn Greene in the backfield.

"The Titans were ready to move on," Johnson said in his interview with The Tennessean. "They didn't want me anymore. But everything is going to work out."

Johnson was the 24th overall pick in the 2008 draft out of East Carolina, and had never missed a game because of injury — despite having surgery after the season to repair a torn meniscus that he played with most of the year.

He has 7,965 career yards on 1,742 carries for a 4.6-yard average, including 50 touchdowns, and ranks third on Tennessee's franchise rushing list behind Eddie George and Earl Campbell. Johnson also has caught 272 passes for 2,003 yards and eight TDs.

___

AP Sports Writer Teresa Walker in Nashville, Tenn., contributed to this report.

Johnson will be our feature back. Ivory will be used in short yardage situations and as the primary backup. Powell will get a few touches, not many. Goodson will be cut. They will draft a RB to compete for a roster spot.

I agree. Johnson is still too good to not get 15 touches a game. Ivory and my pal Bilal will get touches when  the Jets are trying to protect a lead. What a concept - the Jets actually having a lead to protect. If Idzik has as good a draft as last year the Jets are gonna surprise a lot of teams. I would go with Beckham in round one if available otherwise Dennard is the guy.

I look at this as he is an upgrade over goodson

yeah I know, goodson has a blown out knee and will be serving time soon, but hey, at least idzik didn't stubbornly try to make one of "his moves" pay off

Yessir, and Idzik also stressed not to jump out the window the first week of FA. Imagine if we would have shot our load the first week. We wouldn't have Chris Johnson, probably no Vick and we wouldn't have even been in the discussion for Desean during his release that seemed to have come out of nowhere. Idzik is managing this team to keep options available in case things occur suddenly. Many people knew that Vick and Johnson would be released if they didn't restructure, but no one knew that Desean would be a FA. And though we didn't sign him, Idzik kept us in a position to be in the mix...as he said his intentions would be.  

I seriously can't wait to see what Idzik and his scouts do for the the Draft. The Jets will be contenders soon I believe just viewing how this guy operates. 

I feel the same way. We still have enough firepower monetarily to snatch anyone we'd like if they are cut in the coming months. Most teams are pretty near maxed out at this point. This offseason is far from over.  Idzik is absolutely unaffected by pressure be it from the media or from loud and angry fans. He has a plan and at this point we have CJ, Decker, Vick, a nice value swap at RT, Ford, Patterson, lots of solid in house guys locked up, 12 draft picks, and 18 mil or so left in the bank.

It's seriously insane what he is actuslly pulling off thus far.  

Ps. We finally got rid of Holmes and Sanchez... Major additions by subtraction there. 

I feel the same way. We still have enough firepower monetarily to snatch anyone we'd like if they are cut in the coming months. Most teams are pretty near maxed out at this point. This offseason is far from over.  Idzik is absolutely unaffected by pressure be it from the media or from loud and angry fans. He has a plan and at this point we have CJ, Decker, Vick, a nice value swap at RT, Ford, Patterson, lots of solid in house guys locked up, 12 draft picks, and 18 mil or so left in the bank.

It's seriously insane what he is actuslly pulling off thus far.  

Ps. We finally got rid of Holmes and Sanchez... Major additions by subtraction there. 

Its crazy but every one of those pick ups either made the position better or made it cost effective while maintaining the same level of talent at the position. And to be able to bring in 12 new young players to compete....its looking good man.

CJ is the first player the Jets have had who could score from anywhere on the field since Santana Moss.   

As long as he's not a total pain in the ass about personal stats this is a great signing.    The Jets offense hasn't had explosive players in years.   12 picks in the draft to get a big play WR and this is a totally new offense.    Now if only they could figure the QB.....

Leon Washington was plenty explosive before getting hurt

Leon Washington was plenty explosive before getting hurt

While I loved Leon and would never deny his talent,  he was never even considered a starting caliber back. CJ is ( or at least was) on a whole different level than Leon. Leon will never be discussed when it comes to the most dangerous backs or weopons in the NFL. Cj is, at minimum, in the discussion.

This is an exciting signing.

The fact that this was our competition concerns me.

Agree. No special plan or elite GM skills were required.

The signing is a decent one that hopefully resolves the need for a  pass catching RB who can take it to the house if his skills have not severely declined.             .

Archived