If Bridgewater is available at #18, do you take him?

Latinlawyer

Amazing that Teddy Bridgewater, a consensus (not perennial) #1 pick only a few months ago is now sliding down the first round...If he is available at #18, do you think The Jets Take him?

Personally, I would try and trade back for more picks but in lieu of that, if Bridewater is the BAP, you take him.

LL

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perennial is not used correctly in your context.

If he is there at 18, a QB hungry team might jump at the chance to get him and you explore that option.

I don't think the Jets would take him. They'll be looking for a QB of the future next year for sure though.

Amazing that Teddy Bridgewater, a perennial #1 pick only a few months ago is now sliding down the first round...If he is available at #18, do you think The Jets Take him?

Personally, I would try and trade back for more picks but in lieu of that, if Bridewater is the BAP, you take him.

LL

Take Bridgewater unless somebody offers us something totally unreasonable for the pick. More likely scenario for a trade down is if somebody wants to jump Arizona for Carr.

I have a very hard time seeing him dropping to 18, but if that happened, there's going to be some offers. If Cleveland goes Watkins with their 4th overall, they're a candidate to jump up. I know Pettine and the new GM didn't scout him directly, but I can't imagine they'd pass on moving up 8 spots just to land the consolation prize in Carr or whoever is left.

Usage of perennial is awkward but not definitively incorrect, so you're all stupid.

How is it merely awkward, without reaching massively to rationalize its use, as in "a QB who is perennially the type of player who would get taken #1 overall" or something like that.

But it's the wrong word, as that is not the intended meaning. In the context used I think it means Teddy is the guy who was expected to be #1 week after week, all winter long, until fairly recently; not for year after year after year as perennial would suggest.

How is it merely awkward, without reaching massively to rationalize its use, as in "a QB who is perennially the type of player who would get taken #1 overall" or something like that.

But it's the wrong word, as that is not the intended meaning. In the context used I think it means Teddy is the guy who was expected to be #1 week after week, all winter long, until fairly recently; not for year after year after year as perennial would suggest.

It's awkward, but it doesn't always mean continually recurring, it could be used for something that is enduring or un-changing e.g. Bridgewater has been the perennial favorite since the start of the season. I'm sure he meant consensus, but it didn't really detract from the meaning of his statement. 

yes. He'd be value (should have gone 10 slots earlier) and the Jets still don't have enough at QB. 

Really Bit? Now it's a value when someone drops? What happened to the entirety of last year where you said if someone wasn't good enough to be drafted by 4 QB-needy teams before you, then why is he worth it to draft? You literally say that verbatim about Geno for the entire off-season. 

It's awkward, but it doesn't always mean continually recurring, it could be used for something that is enduring or un-changing e.g. Bridgewater has been the perennial favorite since the start of the season. I'm sure he meant consensus, but it didn't really detract from the meaning of his statement.

Perennially, as in perennially there is a favorite, and this year it's Bridgewater? That's a stretch.

Really Bit? Now it's a value when someone drops? What happened to the entirety of last year where you said if someone wasn't good enough to be drafted by 4 QB-needy teams before you, then why is he worth it to draft? You literally say that verbatim about Geno for the entire off-season. 

First off I don't get a pick. Idzik gets a pick. And Idzik loves value

Also i don't recall saying that about Geno. Maybe you are thinking of someone else. 

FWIW the difference between Geno and Bridgewater is huge. Not the least of which is Geno comes from an air raid and Teddy comes from a pro offense. Geno screwed his bowl game, Teddy dominated his.

Teddy is probably the most pro ready of all the prospects. HE doesn't have the biggest upside but he's the best at making reads. 

Geno came from an air raid offense with better weapons at the college level than he had in the NFL, he should have never been a day one starter after getting him in the second round. I'm in no way sold on him but I'd rather trade back of this happens. I'd be fine with the pick though since I think Rex no input in the draft anymore, but I also hate the idea of giving him another rookie QB.

Just for the record, Bridgewater is definitely going to fall some. Probably not to 18 but certainly out of the top five. I saw all I needed to on the Mariucci specials. The way he presents in person is going to put people off. Sit him down from the white board and take the marker out of his hand and he can't get a sentence out without becoming hopelessly flustered. Nervous and shy are not qualities anybody associates with the face of the franchise. Type B and wrong color is a toxic cocktail for draft stock.

If I was GM, and Bridgwater was available at 18, I'd trade the pick for a next years 1st round and this years 2nd/3rd rounder. A worse team with a QB need would jump all over him, and then when he's a bust (I strongly believe he will be), we can grab the high 1st round draft pick for next year

Just for the record, Bridgewater is definitely going to fall some. Probably not to 18 but certainly out of the top five. I saw all I needed to on the Mariucci specials. The way he presents in person is going to put people off. Sit him down from the white board and take the marker out of his hand and he can't get a sentence out without becoming hopelessly flustered. Nervous and shy are not qualities anybody associates with the face of the franchise. Type B and wrong color is a toxic cocktail for draft stock.

I wonder if the Type B thing correlates, though. I think he can be successful without being a Bradyesque ballbreaker. Aikman was low-key. So was Montana. They did alright.

I wonder if the Type B thing correlates, though. I think he can be successful without being a Bradyesque ballbreaker. Aikman was low-key. So was Montana. They did alright.

I think it can work if you don't have sh*t birds like Holmes around. Eli comes off as an awkward, mouth breather. As soon as they got rid of Shockey and Tiki he was fine. Sanchez was far from a type A personality but the coaches saw fit to surround him with sociopaths during his development.

I think it can work if you don't have sh*t birds like Holmes around. Eli comes off as an awkward, mouth breather. As soon as they got rid of Shockey and Tiki he was fine. Sanchez was far from a type A personality but the coaches saw fit to surround him with sociopaths during his development.

Eli had the added advantages of top of the draft, big contract and family name to back up his credentials.  Bridgewater will be missing that in this scenario.  

LOL, sociopaths....man that is hilarious. But, you are right...

Archived