Now it falls on Rex

Pac

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Own the offense with Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, Santonio Holmes, and a plodding Shonn Greene.  Yeah no idea how he didn't turn that into gold.

Tom Brady won a Super Bowl with nobody receivers, and Antwain Smith as his featured RB.  His elevated play compensated for the pedestrian talent around him.  After two seasons, the Jets expected Sanchez to do the same, and he wasn't up to the task. 

Tom Brady won a Super Bowl with nobody receivers, and Antwain Smith as his featured RB.  His elevated play compensated for the pedestrian talent around him.  After two seasons, the Jets expected Sanchez to do the same, and he wasn't up to the task. 

So we should get one of those Tom Brady type guys..  should be easy to find.

Signing a backup QB, a solid #2 WR and a ageing, declining RB (Which was a TERRIBLE move) does not a dynamic offense make. It still comes down to Geno's development more than anything, Rex can only do so much. What he achieved with that pitiful excuse for an offence last season bordered on miraculous.

Rex is the legit G.O.A.T. Both as a coach and a person. If we stick with him he'll get us there, but don't act like some sort of Peyton Manning/Jerry Rice/Barry Sanders has fallen into his lap. Not one of our FA's have been what you'd call "elite" (hate that term) signings. Collectively, they're an upgrade, no doubt. But at the very most it's an upgrade to competence unless Geno steps up significantly. If Geno does, then yes, Rex will have no excuse. 

Signing a backup QB, a solid #2 WR and a ageing, declining RB (Which was a TERRIBLE move) does not a dynamic offense make. It still comes down to Geno's development more than anything, Rex can only do so much. What he achieved with that pitiful excuse for an offence last season bordered on miraculous.

Rex is the legit G.O.A.T. Both as a coach and a person. If we stick with him he'll get us there, but don't act like some sort of Peyton Manning/Jerry Rice/Barry Sanders has fallen into his lap. Not one of our FA's have been what you'd call "elite" (hate that term) signings. Collectively, they're an upgrade, no doubt. But at the very most it's an upgrade to competence unless Geno steps up significantly. If Geno does, then yes, Rex will have no excuse. 

that awful RB scored twice as many TD's as both jets RB's combined last year with a torn meniscus in his knee

Rex is the legit G.O.A.T. Both as a coach and a person.

Coach. Mentor. Two-time AFC Championship Game participant. Husband. Father. Swinger. Humanitarian. Future Nobel Prize winner (assuming the MEDIA doesn't derail him). Philosopher. Altruist. Rex.

So we should get one of those Tom Brady type guys..  should be easy to find.

When you trade up to #5 overall, and invest the kind of money they invested in Sanchez, you're kind of expecting that guy to be a bit more than just a caretaker of the offense.  

Nobody drafts a QB in the first round (and especially in the top 10) with the hope that he becomes a game manager at best.  After 2-3 years, that player is expected to elevate his game to the point where his play makes up for the team's deficiencies elsewhere.

The guy failed to live up to expectations.  I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.

When you trade up to #5 overall, and invest the kind of money they invested in Sanchez, you're kind of expecting that guy to be a bit more than just a caretaker of the offense.  

Nobody drafts a QB in the first round (and especially in the top 10) with the hope that he becomes a game manager at best.  After 2-3 years, that player is expected to elevate his game to the point where his play makes up for the team's deficiencies elsewhere.

The guy failed to live up to expectations.  I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.

This is usually where I tag Smashmouth and he charges in to explain that if you are expecting that much from your QB, you better damn well give him every opportunity to succeed.  You know how that argument goes so I won't rehash it.

All I'll say is Tanny didn't do jack sh-t to protect his investment.  He handled the situation so poorly that he's apparently committed career suicide as no one seem to wants him around their team.

People forgetting about Schotty. He was the biggest problem with the offense back then, not Tannenbaum. Though you can definitely say Tanny gets some of the blame for never replacing him.

You're alive?

ageing, declining RB (Which was a TERRIBLE move)

doubling your backfields TD production is usually not terrible

We will not double our backfields production. Ivory and Powell were absolutely fine when they were healthy. 

It was a terrible move because it almost never works. A soon to be 29 year old running back who relies on speed, who had clearly lost some of the explosion that made one of the league's best BEFORE his injury. 

RB has become a filler position, one of the most interchangeable in the league, it's probably of less importance now than a any outside of kickers/punters. You can get away with just about anything there if you have the blocking. It's not a position you should go out to invest in unless there's a ridiculous talent to get, Chris Johnson is no longer a ridiculous talent, or anything close to being one.

I would have rather not done anything, or if we're going to make short term signings - Actually get the exceptional talent that was on offer - DeSean Jackson. 

I'll be intrigued for four games. If they're marginal, I'm going to start dreaming of a Bevell-Mariota combo pack.

And just like all of your dreams, this one wont come true since Rex is Idzik's boo and will be here for life!

there are no scapegoats left. rex is next in line.

Well, technically this isnt true.  Pacturd isnt all there, not that I'm telling you something you dont know but still...Decker and Johnson and a back-up QB doesnt exactly make this the greatest show on turf.  Truth is, there are questions marks about both Decker and Johnson (can Decker produce with a Geno caliber QB and does Johnson care).

Idzik has pretty much (at least for the foreseeable future) tied himself to Geno Smith.  Which may or may not turn out to be a worse disaster than Mark Sanchez.  So he may suck just as much as Tanny.  Whereas, Rex is legit and everyone knows it.

Well, technically this isnt true.  Pacturd isnt all there, not that I'm telling you something you dont know but still...Decker and Johnson and a back-up QB doesnt exactly make this the greatest show on turf.  Truth is, there are questions marks about both Decker and Johnson (can Decker produce with a Geno caliber QB and does Johnson care).

Idzik has pretty much (at least for the foreseeable future) tied himself to Geno Smith.  Which may or may not turn out to be a worse disaster than Mark Sanchez.  So he may suck just as much as Tanny.  Whereas, Rex is legit and everyone knows it.

I can't tell if you are trolling :)

The issue that I see is that the Jets are prime candidates for a major letdown season. We were the worst .500 team in history by scoring differential. To the casual observer and fan--Jets are a re-building team coming off a respectable 8-8 season. If they Jets go 8-8 again this year it will be because they made a major step forward, but many will think the team flatlined. Can't stress enough how fortunate this team was to be 8-8 last year. 8-8 should not be considered the floor for the 2014 Jets.

The issue that I see is that the Jets are prime candidates for a major letdown season. We were the worst .500 team in history by scoring differential. To the casual observer and fan--Jets are a re-building team coming off a respectable 8-8 season. If they Jets go 8-8 again this year it will be because they made a major step forward, but many will think the team flatlined. Can't stress enough how fortunate this team was to be 8-8 last year. 8-8 should not be considered the floor for the 2014 Jets.

Now I can't tell if you're trolling.

Like you ever stopped.

I'm resigned to the idea that it will take a truly cataclysmic (<4 win) season for Woody to fire Rex. And I think because Rex will get the defense to show up more weeks than not, they'll always be around .500 under him. So, Rex4ever.

Great coaching does that for you.  Give Rex some talent.  Sky is the limit.

I believe in Idzik. Do you?

Archived