Jets to have around $60 mil in cap space in 2015

LAD_Brooklyn

https://mobile.twitter.com/nyjetscap

So for those looking ahead the #Jets are probably going to have close to $60 million in cap space next year they can spend.

http://overthecap.com/futurefreeagents.php?Team=Jets

List of players that are unrestricted FA

David Harris

Michael Vick

Dimitri Patterson

Willie Colon

Kyle Wilson

Dawan Landry

Nick Bellore

Antwan Barnes

Benjamin Ijalana

Leger Douzable

Tanner Purdum

Jacoby Ford

Jermaine Cunningham

Johnny Patrick

Kenrick Ellis

Garrett McIntyre

Alex Green

Bilal Powell

David Nelson

Jeremy Kerley

Caleb Schlauderaff

Edmond Gates

Damon Harris is a RFA that season.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So for those looking ahead the #Jets are probably going to have close to $60 million in cap space next year they can spend.

David Harris

Michael Vick

Dimitri Patterson

Willie Colon

Kyle Wilson

Dawan Landry

Nick Bellore

Antwan Barnes

Benjamin Ijalana

Leger Douzable

Tanner Purdum

Jacoby Ford

Jermaine Cunningham

Johnny Patrick

Kenrick Ellis

Garrett McIntyre

Alex Green

Bilal Powell

David Nelson

Jeremy Kerley

Caleb Schlauderaff

Edmond Gates

Damon Harrison is a RFA that season.

Nice. We're gonna need it to replace every single one of the people you listed.

Which is one of the reasons why I don't think it would be wise to move up in the draft to get a guy like Mike Evans like some people would like us to do. We need to use all 12 draft picks and if we move in the 1st round it should be to move back in the draft. 

Which is one of the reasons why I don't think it would be wise to move up in the draft to get a guy like Mike Evans like some people would like us to do. 

I've never been a fan of moving up. Draft picks are never a lock. Take what we get, where we can get it.

So the core of the team remains in tact, we're set for extensions for the line, we'll have at least 2-3 new starters from this year's draft, there's plenty of room to fill a couple more holes like we did this past offseason, and we'll probably roll a little over into 2016.

This Idzik guy is diabolical.

Nice. We're gonna need it to replace every single one of the people you listed.

Some of them have been replaced already, e.g. Alex Green. Others are going to be replaced by this year's draft picks, e.g. Edmund Gates. There's not too much talent there, really. When the dust settles, half of them will end up getting replaced by this year's and next years' 5th, 6th and 7th round picks and maybe some UDFA's.

Which is one of the reasons why I don't think it would be wise to move up in the draft to get a guy like Mike Evans like some people would like us to do. We need to use all 12 draft picks and if we move in the 1st round it should be to move back in the draft.

Why, 19 picks aren't enough for you over the next 13 months?these 19 picks will cost is no more than $10 mil in cap space. You do to have to be great at math to know that leaves us with about $50mil to sign maybe 4 or 5 starters out of that list. Wanting to move back is not the worst strategy. Wanting to move back cuz 19 picks aren't enough is a pretty bad reasoning.

So the core of the team remains in tact, we're set for extensions for the line, we'll have at least 2-3 new starters from this year's draft, there's plenty of room to fill a couple more holes like we did this past offseason, and we'll probably roll a little over into 2016.

This Idzik guy is diabolical.

ya but DRC tho

Why, 19 picks aren't enough for you over the next 13 months?these 19 picks will cost is no more than $10 mil in cap space. You do to have to be great at math to know that leaves us with about $50mil to sign maybe 4 or 5 starters out of that list. Wanting to move back is not the worst strategy. Wanting to move back cuz 19 picks aren't enough is a pretty bad reasoning.

????

David Harris

Michael Vick

Dimitri Patterson

Willie Colon

Kyle Wilson

Dawan Landry

Nick Bellore

Antwan Barnes

Benjamin Ijalana

Leger Douzable

Tanner Purdum

Jacoby Ford

Jermaine Cunningham

Johnny Patrick

Kenrick Ellis

Garrett McIntyre

Alex Green

Bilal Powell

David Nelson

Jeremy Kerley

Caleb Schlauderaff

Edmond Gates

Damon Harris is a RFA that season.

Didn't david Nelson sign a 3 year deal last season?  I'd have to look but I don't think that list is entirely accurate

At least a few of these guys won't even make the team this year, and most of the rest are really just situational players.  Harris and Colon are the only real established starters on that list, although a couple of others may end up starting this year (e.g., probably one of Wilson or Patterson), but neither is irreplaceable.  They'll probably make Harris an offer at far less what he's currently getting, and will continue to try to get a young guy to take over for Colon, but if not can approach it the same way they did this year (assuming he still continues to play well enough this season).  Beyond that, Kerley is the one guy they will probably want to lock up and might cost them some money.  The rest are all likely to be very cheap, and none likely big-time contributors, so the Jets should be able to keep most of those who they have any real interest in bringing back.

maybe someday we'll have a QB worth spending 20 million on and the cap will be tight and everyone will be happy

This is my dream of the Idzik plan.   Develop a solid team with a huge amount of cap space and treat it almost like tampering for a QB.  Let them know we will spend on one.  Maybe somebody will want to come here to win when their deal is up.  

95% of the good players you think will be available on the FA market in 2015, won't be. There is less than zero chance of AJ Green hitting the open market. 

Sure most great players never see free agency, but there will probably be another 60 mid-high level players that are cap casualties, so it kind of evens out.

This is my dream of the Idzik plan.   Develop a solid team with a huge amount of cap space and treat it almost like tampering for a QB.  Let them know we will spend on one.  Maybe somebody will want to come here to win when their deal is up.  

If that is the plan, they better be drafting QB's every season. No QB worth a damn is getting into FA ever again. I think Jay Cutler proved that pretty clear. He sucks, and got a ridiculous contract so that he would not be a FA. I don't think this would be a wise strategy at all. Like not working with the hopes of winning the lottery.

you dont win anything for having the most unused cap space in the league

I am being sarcastic. I get a kick out of how much love Idzik is getting. It's as though he is a lock to win a few SB's here because he has this unbreakable formula for building a juggernaut.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-Idzik, I just think its comical how much love the guy is getting for doing pretty much nuttin.

Archived