Jets to have around $60 mil in cap space in 2015

LAD_Brooklyn

I don't think that perception is warped at all. its hard to argue with what jetsfanincanada has to say. idzik has upgraded wr, back up qb, and a quicker (high mileage)receiving threat out of the backfield while leaving the jets with financial flexibility. that's the good part. he also has left the jets with a gaping hole at a starting corner back and question marks at guard and tackle. that's the bad part. hardly a ringing endorsement and not the greatest position entering the draft. I would feel much better with a starting cb and at least a guard who can last a full season, entering the draft with no dire needs and a true best player mentality. while I don't think idzik is doing a horrible job, I don't believe he is going a great job, either. building a team thru the draft is a wonderful thing. so far idziks drafting has produced 1 A+ player and 6 question marks, while I have high hopes for some of the picks, I remain VERY cautiously optimistic. I want to see what idzik does with his own scouting department, with 12 draft picks, in a very deep draft. until idzik proves himself, I will criticize or applaud his moves as I see them

I don't think what you are saying is warped , I just feel that people are overreacting to what other people are saying. They categorize people into extremes. I cannot say Idzik is a great GM - it is way too early. What I can say is that I like his approach and I think his approach systematically is very good for the Jets. He has generated loads of cap space and has gotten the Jets 12 draft picks this year. We can all argue on this point but that's how I feel.

Now that he has this system in place he has to get the talent and chemistry right. From all accounts and interactions I have observed Idzik and Ryan get along. Ryan is here as long as he is good for the team and that is going to be a long time in my opinion. Secondly, team chemistry appears to be good. Idzik isn't just comfortable with a FA or any other player wanting to get paid - he wants that player to WANT to be a Jet and play for the team. No more Santonio Holmes.

Lastly - can he draft talent - that's still on open question but I'm confident he has built a scouting department that he believes in thus I too am cautiously optimistic. I believe he has breathed new life into scouting - to me there is nothing worse than spending endless hours and energy knowing your GM may trade up leaving the team with 3 picks.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think what you are saying is warped , I just feel that people are overreacting to what other people are saying. They categorize people into extremes. I cannot say Idzik is a great GM - it is way too early. What I can say is that I like his approach and I think his approach systematically is very good for the Jets. He has generated loads of cap space and has gotten the Jets 12 draft picks this year. We can all argue on this point but that's how I feel.

Now that he has this system in place he has to get the talent and chemistry right. From all accounts and interactions I have observed Idzik and Ryan get along. Ryan is here as long as he is good for the team and that is going to be a long time in my opinion. Secondly, team chemistry appears to be good. Idzik isn't just comfortable with a FA or any other player wanting to get paid - he wants that player to WANT to be a Jet and play for the team. No more Santonio Holmes.

Lastly - can he draft talent - that's still on open question but I'm confident he has built a scouting department that he believes in thus I too am cautiously optimistic. I believe he has breathed new life into scouting - to me there is nothing worse than spending endless hours and energy knowing your GM may trade up leaving the team with 3 picks.

just so you know, my post wasn't specifically meant for you. you seem to have a positive vibe about idzik, which is fine. I also get a decent vibe from idziks work so far. I was mainy referring to the multitude of blind faith, sh*t talking brigaders out there where anyone who didn't like a certain move was told to stop winning like a little bitch all the while claiming idzik god.

its only been 24 hours. stop winning

its only been 3 days. stop winning

its only been a week.stop winning

idzik wouldn't overpay. stop winning.(while positions of need were signed by other teams for reasonable prices)

idzik is working on a trade. stop winning

the mini draft is coming up. stop winning

the draft is coming up. stop winning

I never saw so much winning about other people winning. with non stop insults no less. I felt like I was in the romper room. it was truly disgusting. it didn't matter if you didn't like all the moves or just a certain move. if you disagreed, you were attacked.

just so you know, my post wasn't specifically meant for you. you seem to have a positive vibe about idzik, which is fine. I also get a decent vibe from idziks work so far. I was mainy referring to the multitude of blind faith, sh*t talking brigaders out there where anyone who didn't like a certain move was told to stop winning like a little bitch all the while claiming idzik god.

idzik wouldn't overpay. stop winning.(while positions of need were signed by other teams for reasonable prices)

I never saw so much winning about other people winning. with non stop insults no less. I felt like I was in the romper room. it was truly disgusting. it didn't matter if you didn't like all the moves or just a certain move. if you disagreed, you were attacked.

snoop-dogg-charlie-sheen-winning-1.jpg

just so you know, my post wasn't specifically meant for you. you seem to have a positive vibe about idzik, which is fine. I also get a decent vibe from idziks work so far. I was mainy referring to the multitude of blind faith, sh*t talking brigaders out there where anyone who didn't like a certain move was told to stop winning like a little bitch all the while claiming idzik god.

It's the people bitching about every move that are being told to stop whining. Idziks plan last year was to clear the cap accrue draft picks, of which we now have 12. If he can't draft then the plan isn't going to work, no GM is going to succeed if he can't draft cause that's how you build a successful team now. We don't have Manning at QB but the people bitching are the ones who think we should have approached FA the same way they did, the same way Tanny did every year.

It's the people bitching about every move that are being told to stop whining. Idziks plan last year was to clear the cap accrue draft picks, of which we now have 12. If he can't draft then the plan isn't going to work, no GM is going to succeed if he can't draft cause that's how you build a successful team now. We don't have Manning at QB but the people bitching are the ones who think we should have approached FA the same way they did, the same way Tanny did every year.

it started with 1 or 2 guys bitching about all the non moves on the first day. the brigade started in full swing,within an hour, mind you, eventually attacking anyone with a negative comment on idzik. that's the truth. it got so bad that a few poster left and a few more regulars were m.i.a. the board was down right toxic from day 1 of free agency, not from listening to winning for weeks straight and then finally telling people to stop winning

it started with 1 or 2 guys bitching about all the non moves on the first day. the brigade started in full swing,within an hour, mind you, eventually attacking anyone with a negative comment on idzik. that's the truth. it got so bad that a few poster left and a few more regulars were m.i.a. the board was down right toxic from day 1 of free agency, not from listening to winning for weeks straight and then finally telling people to stop winning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8e2ujXe8g

it started with 1 or 2 guys bitching about all the non moves on the first day. the brigade started in full swing,within an hour, mind you, eventually attacking anyone with a negative comment on idzik. that's the truth. it got so bad that a few poster left and a few more regulars were m.i.a. the board was down right toxic from day 1 of free agency, not from listening to winning for weeks straight and then finally telling people to stop winning

I have to admit I would be upset if people told me to stop winning

Oh jeebus, someone call a waaahmbulance.

from bill polian.  it's just another reason you don't go on a spree in FA

Q: Why are there so few highly graded players?

A: The reality of NFL free agency is that elite, A-level players almost never reach the open market. Teams will always try to sign their own best players first and foremost. If a player reaches free agency, one of two things has happened: A team is cap-strapped and has no choice but to let the player go, or the team has made the internal decision that the player is not worth re-signing. If his own team lets him walk away, and they're not in dire straits in terms of the salary cap, that should tell you something.

and this got no play in the thread, but miami's spree from last year got them nowhere but trouble

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1954437-miami-dolphins-free-agent-spending-spree-in-2013-may-have-negative-effect

The Dolphins will have key free agents to re-sign, which includes names such as cornerbacks Brent Grimes and Nolan Carroll and defensive tackles Paul Soliai and Randy Starks. The Dolphins likely won't be able to bring back all four players. That's just the nature of the business.

In 2012—before the arrival of Ellerbe, Wheeler and Wallace—the Dolphins went 7-9. Miami improved just one game in the win department in 2013, despite handing out contracts to a trio of players that totals $121 million. The three simply brought too little to the table in 2013 to justify the big money that Miami threw at them.

lmao. this thread is great.

in case you didnt get it you are spelling whining....winning. and charlie sheen is the king of winning

didn't realize I was spelling it wrong. that Charlie sheen thing went way over my head. I thought sperm was calling me a loon or something.lol. makes more sense now

Your memory is different than mine and I'd wager it's different than a lot of people who endured the complaining takeover of the website.  It was a LOT more than 1 or 2 people, and the downright rage - it had become rage, not mere "bitching" - was nonstop.  It was becoming more than 50% of the posts on the website, and even moderators who were not happy with the FA period more than noticed. 

If you have a recollection of 1 or 2 (which is disingenuous to suggest maybe it was only 1) posters doing this then your memory is pretty bad on it.  People who hardly post here popped on just to chime in about how Idzik's without a doubt the worst GM in the history of the NFL.  I read multiple people saying literally that and they didn't merely say it (which is fine if you really believe it I guess), but kept repeating it over and over and over, and finding more and more colorful ways of doing so, which is not fine to keep posting it.  It's freaking annoying.

But again, it was not just in quantity of posts, but in the level of of hate, if not outright rage, over the tragedy of not re-signing Austin Howard or not forking over $10M/year to Byrd or Davis (which is what it would have taken to get either one) or locking us into $3-4M/year long-term for a pure zone corner who signed with a team running a zone defense.  And it didn't die down after a few hours or just that first day; it was more, more, more.  More in quantity, and more in intensity, with each passing hour and day.  Anyone we didn't sign was made out to be some type of savior and anyone we did sign was equated to crap.  And after that, when it had overtaken the forum and made it unreadable to anyone who didn't agree for days, you got people biting back because it was so over the top obnoxious.  What's more, is after that backlash, the Jets-suck vitriol actually escalated. The only thing that mercifully made it die down was time.

Your memory is likely different because when someone agrees with a point of view it doesn't catch one's attention when reading an allusion to that viewpoint.  Good example is probably like me reading someone saying what a lousy QB Sanchez is/was. It doesn't even register a blip on my, "Well gee would you look at that: someone's complaining about Sanchez again!" radar.  To me it's like reading someone saying the Jets' home jersey is green.  And if your recollection is that perhaps the quantity was as little as one person just doing a little bit of bitching on day one, which then precipitated some type of coordinated attack from all directions, then you've got some of that going on.

you're totally disregarding the draft as more possible answers to WR, TE, etc...

I fully expect the Jets to draft an offensive playmaker in a draft full of offensive playmakers. I could be wrong, but Idzik has been really smart about money so far. He know the best way to build is through the draft. He wants to build through the draft. Those teams sometimes also win Super Bowls. See: Seahawks, Seattle, 2013-14.

I am not dismissing anything. All I am saying is Idzik has not built a great team yet like so many are trying to give him credit for. I like his approach, but if he does not deliver in the draft we are not going to build a great team.

He has made nice little additions in FA, but at the end of the day if he does not draft well, he will not build a great team. 

This does not make me dislike Idzik, in fact I like him and have hopes for him. But until we have a great team on the field, he has not built a great team.

I am not dismissing anything. All I am saying is Idzik has not built a great team yet like so many are trying to give him credit for. I like his approach, but if he does not deliver in the draft we are not going to build a great team.

He has made nice little additions in FA, but at the end of the day if he does not draft well, he will not build a great team. 

This does not make me dislike Idzik, in fact I like him and have hopes for him. But until we have a great team on the field, he has not built a great team.

You can't say it's a great team or a bad team, but I do feel on paper it's a better team than last year which might not be saying much according to some. There has been some nice FA additions, the rookies are now in their 2nd year, financially sound. At the very least he has put the Jets in a very good position to potentially succeed particularly with the 12 draft picks. At this stage I think he has come very close to maximizing the cards he was dealt.

It wasn't so much the whining or thinking Idzik sucks.  It was the constant complaints any time another team singed a player, or when a guy got cut and we did not immediately have him in and lock him up.  It is sort of like the super bowl argument.  Each FA signing had 1 winner and 32 losers.  Only some of those guys we are winners for not signing. Chris Johnson is a perfect example.  We signed the guy and to a fair deal.  There were people complaining that we didn't offer a pick and jump when the Titans started offering him up.  Same for Desean Jackson.

You can't say it's a great team or a bad team, but I do feel on paper it's a better team than last year which might not be saying much according to some. There has been some nice FA additions, the rookies are now in their 2nd year, financially sound. At the very least he has put the Jets in a very good position to potentially succeed particularly with the 12 draft picks. At this stage I think he has come very close to maximizing the cards he was dealt.

This alone makes the team better without signing or cutting anyone else.  Those who ask, "How are we better than last year, when we sucked?" constantly ignore this IMO.  That very question/argument presumes that rookies do not get better in year 2, 2nd year players don't improve in year 3, etc.  It makes a rule, of sorts, that in the coming season a player is and will be what he was last year.  Except for those that are getting older; those guys get worse.  Further, they have said new rookies aren't something you can bank on because they may suck (which is true).  

But therefore the conclusion drawn is that the only way a team can improve from one year to the next is through free agency.  That's the corner some people have painted themselves into with their rationale, so that's why they go off the reservation when we don't sign a free agent to fill a hole, or when we let someone go from last year. 

This alone makes the team better without signing or cutting anyone else.  Those who ask, "How are we better than last year, when we sucked?" constantly ignore this IMO.  That very question/argument presumes that rookies do not get better in year 2, 2nd year players don't improve in year 3, etc.  It makes a rule, of sorts, that in the coming season a player is and will be what he was last year.  Except for those that are getting older; those guys get worse.  Further, they have said new rookies aren't something you can bank on because they may suck (which is true).  

But therefore the conclusion drawn is that the only way a team can improve from one year to the next is through free agency.  That's the corner some people have painted themselves into with their rationale, so that's why they go off the reservation when we don't sign a free agent to fill a hole, or when we let someone go from last year. 

Thats all great and everything, and I don't disagree, but that still does not change the fact that Idzik has not yet built a great team. Great teams have been built in the past through both the draft, and through a combo of FA and the draft. That does not mean that Idzik is building a great team. 

I have said it before and I will say it again, I like his approach, but its way too early to put him in Canton. If he has a crappy draft this year, and Millner and Geno don't pan out, he will be a lot closer to being fired than being in Canton regardless of how good his approach may have been.

All I have been saying is lets hold off on sending out the Canton invites until we see greatness on the field, than we can fill out the invites and send them out.

Thats all great and everything, and I don't disagree, but that still does not change the fact that Idzik has not yet built a great team. Great teams have been built in the past through both the draft, and through a combo of FA and the draft. That does not mean that Idzik is building a great team. 

I have said it before and I will say it again, I like his approach, but its way too early to put him in Canton. If he has a crappy draft this year, and Millner and Geno don't pan out, he will be a lot closer to being fired than being in Canton regardless of how good his approach may have been.

All I have been saying is lets hold off on sending out the Canton invites until we see greatness on the field, than we can fill out the invites and send them out.

Who has him in Canton that would have you make a straw man argument against this 3x in one post? Why is it better for some to go bananas on the guy because his philosophy - for better or worse in the end - is to see what he's able to get in a draft or two before signing players that would preclude a draftee (or UDFA, or other cheaper FA acquisition) from seeing the field?

For example, and it's not a given that he's even going to still be on the roster by the time we hit mid-July, but take the kid we just picked up this offseason from Iowa State.  If he ends up being an excellent starter outside, where all he needed was a little work & experience with the team, then he would have been deprived of that on 2 fronts if DRC/equivalent was here.  He'd have gotten no work with starters, and would have had no chance to see the field other than in cases of injuries.  Meanwhile the team locked itself into 3 years of a high-priced player they didn't need.  

As I (and others who like him so far) have said, it all goes out the window if his draftees don't pan out.  If, when the dust settles, the only reliable starter we got out of the 2013 draft was Richardson, and we only get 2 more merely ok ones out of the 2014 draft, then he'll have done a terrible job as GM.  

The basis of arguing over him, by me and by some others, was with people who post as though they have no patience and want this quick fix with high-priced incoming veterans before seeing what we can get on the cheap.  (If there was no salary cap, then I wouldn't give a crap; go raid Woody's savings account with reckless abandon and we're all happy since there's a bottomless pit there).  

But that's not the case; there's a cap limit and I like the idea of seeing what we can get through the draft before locking ourselves into someone (a) high-priced right away, and (b) who might not be worse than someone we'd have otherwise drafted. 

Canton, lol.  Show me one post from the most off-kilter Idzik-lover that even hinted at a remote chance that Idzik is on his way there.  His philosophy is sound IMO. Whether he does a good job of employing that philosophy is what he'll be graded on in hindsight. But I get it that it's easier to make others look foolish when you misrepresent their views with such absurd exaggerations. 

Lay off the Labutts, friend. :)

Archived