Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham scheduled for visits with Jets

stugotz81

Do the Jets invest their first round pick in a WR thats under 6ft? Not sure if that will fill the need of having a dominant #1 WR to play opposite of Decker. I would take Ebron over these two if he was still available. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/17/brandin-cooks-odell-beckham-scheduled-for-visits-with-jets/

AP

The Jets have added running back Chris Johnson and wide receiver Eric Decker to the team this offseason, but few expect that they’re done addressing the offensive skill positions.

The Jets will add some fuel to that school of thought next week when they host wide receiversBrandin Cooks and Odell Beckham for pre-draft visits. Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that both players will spend timewith the team.

Cooks has been on the Jets’ radar for some time as offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg checked out his pro day at Oregon State last month. The Jets were thought to be very interested in wide receiver Tavon Austin last season and Cooks, the fastest wideout at the combine, would offer them some of the same skills.

The same is true of Beckham, who is a bit bigger than Cooks but still under six feet. Beckham was also a standout returner at LSU, which would broaden his potential contributions to the team beyond playing opposite Decker in the team’s offense. Throw in USC’s Marqise Lee and there are three receivers cut from a similar cloth that the Jets will be considering for the next few weeks.

Do the Jets invest their first round pick in a WR thats under 6ft? Not sure if that will fill the need of having a dominant #1 WR to play opposite of Decker. I would take Ebron over these two if he was still available. 

I understand the concern and truthfully - I had similar thoughts initially, but the prospect of having a Steve Smith or DeSean Jackson type receiver (not even counting Welker cause he's too slow to be considered "similar") really overcomes any fear of their height. Plus, we've got plenty of tall receivers to line up next to him (Nelson 6'5", Hill 6'4", Jones 6'3", Salas 6'2", Jones 6'2").

I'm hopeful to get Cooks - could be huge.

I understand the concern and truthfully - I had similar thoughts initially, but the prospect of having a Steve Smith or DeSean Jackson type receiver (not even counting Welker cause he's too slow to be considered "similar") really overcomes any fear of their height. Plus, we've got plenty of tall receivers to line up next to him (Nelson 6'5", Hill 6'4", Jones 6'3", Salas 6'2", Jones 6'2").

I'm hopeful to get Cooks - could be huge.

I like Cooks a lot, but he needs to prove that he can consistently beat physical, press-man before he's allowed to play on the perimeter on a consistent basis.  I think he can be a great weapon, but he was manhandled by Ifo ekpre-olomu, which is a bit concerning. I don't think you have that issue with Beckham who can work the slot as well as the perimeter from day one. 

Beckham measured in at the combine at 5'11.2" and 198 lbs, that's plenty solid enough. I'm sure people are getting tired of me saying this, but he's going to be a larger, faster, more explosive Randall Cobb.  I know Cobb's played exclusively out of the slot in Green Bay, but before he broke his leg they were trying to get him all over the field.  Beckham is gonna be a star.

Hill is tall and he's working out great. I bet Giants fans are also thrilled with production their team got from Ramses Barden. Short guys like Welker are a waste of a roster spot.

Hahah freaking ramses barden.

Both cooks and beckham will be very good but i think beckham has more potential. Really hope the giants get him. Macadoo can use him like cobb in green bay

The height isn't a problem. Matter of fact, it doesn't even matter. The Jets need speed. If they want size then they satisfied that by signing the 6'3 Eric Decker. What they need is a speed threat and I think that Cooks will be the pick if available. The speed with the threat of playmaking ability will compensate for the height. We have Stephen Hill who is 6'4 and destroyed the 40 at the Combine a few years ago. Link: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d82736e20/Stephen-Hill-is-fastest-receiver

However, Stephen Hills speed is straight line, Cooks is a human joystick. Hill plays smaller than his size and if the catch is contested more likely than not it will be an incomplete pass at best. Cooks plays bigger than his size and will jump up to go get the ball. 

If Brandin Cooks is available at 18 I think he's going to be a Jet. 

EDIT: Also look at the combine numbers when I talk about  Hill having straight line speed in comparison to Cooks being a human joystick. Hill is freakish running straight. But look at his 20 and 60 yard shuttle along with the 3 cone drill (3 cone being a "power & speed" drill) and compare it with Cooks . Cooks hands are also bigger than Hills. 

Stephen Hill 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/stephen-hill?id=2533537

Brandin Cooks

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brandin-cooks?id=2543498

There aren't many truly dominant #1 WRs in the league. What the a Jets need is simply another playmaker. I'd rather have speed than size. As has been pointed out, the Jets have a lot of size on the roster at the position already. A guy who stretches the field would be an ideal add.

If you have Decker, a speedy first round pick, Kerley, Cumberland, and CJohnson all on the field on passing downs, all you really need from there is a QB who can make reads.

If you have Decker, a speedy first round pick, Kerley, Cumberland, and CJohnson all on the field on passing downs, all you really need from there is a QB who can make reads.

Unfortunately, the Jets have no QBs who can make reads. 

If both of these guys are gone, Maybe take a QB at 18 and get the speedster in rd 2. 

Every year there is one guy the media hypes to a point that general consensus becomes that guy should be drafted higher up than heshould. Last year the media hyped Dion Jordan. This year Beckham is one of the most hyped WR's.

Cooks does not belong in the Top 20 prospects in this draft so its a reach drafting him at #18.

Marquise Lee has injury concerns or he might be a catch.

At the end of the day the JETS can still select a WR in the second round. Unless they trade down.

Every year there is one guy the media hypes to a point that general consensus becomes that guy should be drafted higher up than heshould. Last year the media hyped Dion Jordan. This year Beckham is one of the most hyped WR's.

Cooks does not belong in the Top 20 prospects in this draft so its a reach drafting him at #18.

At the end of the day the JETS can still select a WR in the second round. Unless they trade down.

Why is isn't Cooks a top 20 pick in your opinion? And what don't you like about Beckham Jr?

The height isn't a problem. Matter of fact, it doesn't even matter. The Jets need speed. If they want size then they satisfied that by signing the 6'3 Eric Decker. What they need is a speed threat and I think that Cooks will be the pick if available. The speed with the threat of playmaking ability will compensate for the height. We have Stephen Hill who is 6'4 and destroyed the 40 at the Combine a few years ago. Link: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d82736e20/Stephen-Hill-is-fastest-receiver

However, Stephen Hills speed is straight line, Cooks is a human joystick. Hill plays smaller than his size and if the catch is contested more likely than not it will be an incomplete pass at best. Cooks plays bigger than his size and will jump up to go get the ball. 

If Brandin Cooks is available at 18 I think he's going to be a Jet. 

EDIT: Also look at the combine numbers when I talk about  Hill having straight line speed in comparison to Cooks being a human joystick. Hill is freakish running straight. But look at his 20 and 60 yard shuttle along with the 3 cone drill (3 cone being a "power & speed" drill) and compare it with Cooks . Cooks hands are also bigger than Hills. 

Stephen Hill 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/stephen-hill?id=2533537

Brandin Cooks

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brandin-cooks?id=2543498

Lol that is so disingenuous it's not even funny. The 3-cone drill is not about just about power and speed, it's one of the gold standards for agility, quickness, flexibility, change of direction and fluidity of motion. The only reason you practically lied about it is that it didn't fit your agenda. Hill is an absolute freakish athlete and the fact that his 3-cone was 6.88 at 6'4" compared to Cooks' 6.76 is impressive.  Hill is not just straight-line speed, he's a phenomenal athlete. His failings thus far have nothing to do with just having combine, straight-line speed. 

He's one of the most hyped WRs because he's either the 2nd or 3rd best WR in a phenomenal class that could see a dozen WRs go in the first two rounds. The only thing that would make me choose Evans over him would be scheme. There's pretty much nothing that he can't do.  What are the reasons he's over hyped?  e.g. routes, hands, ability to catch in traffic, yac ability, vision etc?

Pretty much since December, for me nothing's changed.

1. Watkins

2. Evans

3. Lee

4. Cooks

5. Beckham

All 5 would be awesome IMO.

After this group, The one guy who's definitely moved up for me is Paul Richardson.

All 5 would be awesome, but then why'd we waste that money on Decker?  ;)

There aren't many truly dominant #1 WRs in the league. What the a Jets need is simply another playmaker. I'd rather have speed than size. As has been pointed out, the Jets have a lot of size on the roster at the position already. A guy who stretches the field would be an ideal add.

I prefer speed too, but as far as it goes, they have plenty of speed on roster too.  They signed Ford and Hill, Gates, Hakim are all among the fastest guys out there.  A pretty good relay team.  Kerley, Nelson and Salas are all best utilized out of the slot.  None of these guys should prevent them from signing anybody in particular.  Size, speed, routes, whatever, they just need the best they can find. 

One interesting prospect they have is Dwight Jones. Guy got in some trouble at NC for lending his name to a party and they wouldn't even let him at their pro day.  He was signed as an UDFA by the Texans, but retired to care for his son who was born with multiple birth defects.  RIP.  The Jets signed him to the practice squad in December.  Big and decent speed.  Interesting guy for bottom of the WR rotation.  

I think if both these guys are available along with lee, we need to go lee. kid is legit. from what I see the tory holt comparisons are spot on. think he would thrive in MM west coast offense. if hes gone im leaning towards cook, one of the top dbs (dennard, gilbert), or OLB (Barr)

Anther decent comparison for Lee is Greg Jennings IMO.

Unfortunately, the Jets have no QBs who can make reads. 

If both of these guys are gone, Maybe take a QB at 18 and get the speedster in rd 2. 

Does this mean you are now back off the Geno bandwagon?

Lol that is so disingenuous it's not even funny. The 3-cone drill is not about just about power and speed, it's one of the gold standards for agility, quickness, flexibility, change of direction and fluidity of motion. The only reason you practically lied about it is that it didn't fit your agenda. Hill is an absolute freakish athlete and the fact that his 3-cone was 6.88 at 6'4" compared to Cooks' 6.76 is impressive.  Hill is not just straight-line speed, he's a phenomenal athlete. His failings thus far have nothing to do with just having combine, straight-line speed. 

Dude, stop using the word disingenuous. You don't know what the word means. My agenda? You're watching too many illuminati/conspiracy videos. 

I never said that Hill wasn't a freakish athlete, especially for his size. My core point regarding Cooks was, and I quote: "The speed with the threat of playmaking ability will compensate for the height." 

In short space Cooks is better as well. My highlight of "power and speed" is based on the general notion that a smaller WR wouldn't be as strong as bigger receivers, but the 3 cone drill displays power with speed. Im not saying that cooks "IS" stronger or as strong...my point is in his frame his has great attributes. I never said that these were the only things that the 3 cone drill highlights, so to say that I "practically lied" is just retarded. So yes, I'm making a point about Cooks ability, but not by lying, its about highlighting his attributes mixed with his "playmaking ability" that this 6'4 freakish athlete in Hill doesn't have. And as for Hills straight line speed, his best route in the NFL is the 9 route. Everything else he's terrible in because he's a poor ass route runner and has inconsistent hands. This is where I get my conclusion. 

I'd prefer you just disagree and present your point rather than for you to say that I'm disingenuous and I'm a liar when all I am is a spectator like yourself with my own point of view. I don't see the need to be disingenuous or to lie to you or anyone else on this website and I prefer you cut the shlt out. Present your point but stop disrespecting me. I don't like it. 

Dude, stop using the word disingenuous. You don't know what the word means. My agenda? You're watching too many illuminati/conspiracy videos. 

I never said that Hill wasn't a freakish athlete, especially for his size. My core point regarding Cooks was, and I quote: "The speed with the threat of playmaking ability will compensate for the height." 

In short space Cooks is better as well. My highlight of "power and speed" is based on the general notion that a smaller WR wouldn't be as strong as bigger receivers, but the 3 cone drill displays power with speed. Im not saying that cooks "IS" stronger or as strong...my point is in his frame his has great attributes. I never said that these were the only things that the 3 cone drill highlights, so to say that I "practically lied" is just retarded. So yes, I'm making a point about Cooks ability, but not by lying, its about highlighting his attributes mixed with his "playmaking ability" that this 6'4 freakish athlete in Hill doesn't have. And as for Hills straight line speed, his best route in the NFL is the 9 route. Everything else he's terrible in because he's a as poor route runner along with his inconsistent hands. This is where I get my conclusion. 

I'd prefer you just disagree and present your point rather than for you to say that I'm disingenuous and I'm a liar when all I am is a spectator like yourself with my own point of view. I don't see the need to be disingenuous or to lie to you or anyone else on this website and I prefer you cut the shlt out. Present your point but stop disrespecting me. I don't like it. 

Your entire argument was based on their combine numbers with Cooks having "joystick" type talent compared to Hill's pure straight line speed. When you mentioned the three events, the only one you decided to define was the one where Hill's compared to Cooks'.  The 3-cone while testing power and speed, is the gold standard for agility and fluidity. Him having practically the same 3-cone as Cooks, while being over 6 inches taller negates your entire "combine straight-line speed" hypothesis. Thus, when you decided to only define the 3-cone drill and do so without mentioning agility, fluidity or change of direction, it's not too hard to see why I assume you were trying to bias the argument. Thus, why I deemed it a rather deceitful statement. You say that wasn't your intentions, that's fine, I take the disingenuous part back. However, I stand by that you're then just wrong about their respective agility and results. Hill has failed for many other reasons, none of which have to do with poor combine numbers.

Your entire argument was based on their combine numbers with Cooks having "joystick" type talent compared to Hill's pure straight line speed. When you mentioned the three events, the only one you decided to define was the one where Hill's compared to Cooks'.  The 3-cone while testing power and speed, is the gold standard for agility and fluidity. Him having practically the same 3-cone as Cooks, while being over 6 inches taller negates your entire "combine straight-line speed" hypothesis. Thus, when you decided to only define the 3-cone drill and do so without mentioning agility, fluidity or change of direction, it's not too hard to see why I assume you were trying to bias the argument. Thus, why I deemed it a rather deceitful statement. You say that wasn't your intentions, that's fine, I take the disingenuous part back. However, I stand by that you're then just wrong about their respective agility and results. Hill has failed for many other reasons, none of which have to do with poor combine numbers.

I think your approach above is respectful. Please keep it like this. I don't see the need for me to clarify or change my point of view because its just not important. Your disagreement has been noted though. But for the record, I'm not "arguing" anything. 

Archived