Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham scheduled for visits with Jets

stugotz81

I think if both these guys are available along with lee, we need to go lee. kid is legit. from what I see the tory holt comparisons are spot on. think he would thrive in MM west coast offense. if hes gone im leaning towards cook, one of the top dbs (dennard, gilbert), or OLB (Barr)

I feel like Lees like a Jermey Kerley but can play the perimeter. He doesn't have blow the top off a defense speed like beckham and cook do

Why is isn't Cooks a top 20 pick in your opinion? And what don't you like about Beckham Jr?

I have said this before and I will say it again I dont think they would be BPA at #18. There is ton of talent but after Watkins and Evans there is a big drop off. Lee would fit the profile at #18 but he has injury issues.

He's one of the most hyped WRs because he's either the 2nd or 3rd best WR in a phenomenal class that could see a dozen WRs go in the first two rounds. The only thing that would make me choose Evans over him would be scheme. There's pretty much nothing that he can't do.  What are the reasons he's over hyped?  e.g. routes, hands, ability to catch in traffic, yac ability, vision etc?

Nice way of putting and i agree many WRs drafted int he first two rounds but where in those first two rounds is very essential. I see a lot of players picked  in the #25 to #45 positions. I just do not see a lot of Top 20 talent out there.

I have said this before and I will say it again I dont think they would be BPA at #18. There is ton of talent but after Watkins and Evans there is a big drop off. Lee would fit the profile at #18 but he has injury issues.

Nice way of putting and i agree many WRs drafted int he first two rounds but where in those first two rounds is very essential. I see a lot of players picked in the #25 to #45 positions. I just do not see a lot of Top 20 talent out there.

What don't you like about Cooks though? He was the best WR in college football last yr.

Nice way of putting and i agree many WRs drafted int he first two rounds but where in those first two rounds is very essential. I see a lot of players picked  in the #25 to #45 positions. I just do not see a lot of Top 20 talent out there.

Fair enough. Not everyone likes the same players. I've been getting the Dion Jordan vibe from anthony barr all year, but a lot of that has to do with position switches etc. I know it's way too early to judge Jordan, but you really expect your 3rd/4th? overall pick to have a bit more impact than he did. As long as he's on the dolphins I hope he sucks, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn it on.

Nah, USC has some good prospects this year in Martin (C/OG, probably C)...Grimble at TE (as a project TE)...some other players are interesting-ish, I guess. Martin's good.

Martin's definitely good for sure, but I know Marty and Idzik spent time with him after the proday, not sure if they did with the other guys. Regardless, I actually have a decent feeling about this year's draft. 

Fair enough. Not everyone likes the same players. I've been getting the Dion Jordan vibe from anthony barr all year, but a lot of that has to do with position switches etc. I know it's way too early to judge Jordan, but you really expect your 3rd/4th? overall pick to have a bit more impact than he did. As long as he's on the dolphins I hope he sucks, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn it on.

Martin's definitely good for sure, but I know Marty and Idzik spent time with him after the proday, not sure if they did with the other guys. Regardless, I actually have a decent feeling about this year's draft.

On....television Barr is about 20 times more explosive off the snap than Jordan was at Oregon. Barr is closer to Mingo than Jordan IMO.

Cooks makes the most sense to me. We have good height already at WR in Hill, Nelson and Decker, we need some speed and shiftiness to compliment Kerley. Cooks is a slightly better version of Tavon Austin, a player we really wanted last year, and a player type that Geno is very comfortable with. Adding Cooks to our WR corps is much more than adding a single player. It is an ideal fit.

Oh for those saying that we should wait to pick a WR until round 2, all of the Top 5 would have been the top receiver last year. You do not pass on elite talent. Especially for another CB

On....television Barr is about 20 times more explosive off the snap than Jordan was at Oregon. Barr is closer to Mingo than Jordan IMO.

I think it's the position shift that bothers me the most and the fact that Barr has only what, two years of experience playing on the defensive side of the ball?  I know he beasted the second he was converted to linebacker, but playing OLB in the NFL is a whole new ball-game, whereas Mingo had been playing OLB/DE since high school.  If the FO likes him, I trust that he's the real deal, I just personally don't care for him.

I understand the concern and truthfully - I had similar thoughts initially, but the prospect of having a Steve Smith or DeSean Jackson type receiver (not even counting Welker cause he's too slow to be considered "similar") really overcomes any fear of their height. Plus, we've got plenty of tall receivers to line up next to him (Nelson 6'5", Hill 6'4", Jones 6'3", Salas 6'2", Jones 6'2").

I'm hopeful to get Cooks - could be huge.

Good point.

Beckham measured in at the combine at 5'11.2" and 198 lbs, that's plenty solid enough. I'm sure people are getting tired of me saying this, but he's going to be a larger, faster, more explosive Randall Cobb.  I know Cobb's played exclusively out of the slot in Green Bay, but before he broke his leg they were trying to get him all over the field.  Beckham is gonna be a star.

I just read recently Beckham was the best all around athlete in the draft so you could be right....my like for him is growing the more I read up on him.

There aren't many truly dominant #1 WRs in the league. What the a Jets need is simply another playmaker. I'd rather have speed than size. As has been pointed out, the Jets have a lot of size on the roster at the position already. A guy who stretches the field would be an ideal add.

If you have Decker, a speedy first round pick, Kerley, Cumberland, and CJohnson all on the field on passing downs, all you really need from there is a QB who can make reads.

That does sound pretty damn good 

What don't you like about Cooks though? He was the best WR in college football last yr.

Best receiver is college does not necessarily translate to best WR in NFL.  I see three WRs in this draft that look NFL ready. Watkins, Evans and Lee(if healthy).

I expect a Top 20 talent to be a starter on merit and make an immediate impact on the team from day one. There is no doubt all prospects will continue to learn and improve their abilities but can they have an impact from day one of the season and have a strong rookie season. I do not think Cooks can do that. I think Cooks has a reasonable chance of being successful in the NFL but he might not contribute immediately. Also because of his physical size there are always going to be question marks whether he can last an entire season. Or can he beat press coverage. I did not see a lot of him in press coverage but when i did he clearly struggled on those plays.

To be honest i do not spend as much time studying players like some people out there but based on what i see i do not see him as a Top 20 talent.

No offense to anyone, but I find it hard to believe that people on this board watched Oregon St. games (I could almost stop here, but I'll go on) and focused on how Brandin Cooks played against press coverage. Not saying he does or doesn't struggle but this scenario is hard for me to imagine.

No offense taken. You're probably right, I doubt any of us did. All we have are highlights and play by play game tape available online. I don't even watch college football. Most of what we conclude are based on what the experts present to us. I don't agree necessarily with all of it this is why I look at the guys myself from whats available on the net. 

No offense taken. You're probably right, I doubt any of us did. All we have are highlights and play by play game tape available online. I don't even watch college football. Most of what we conclude are based on what the experts present to us. I don't agree necessarily with all of it this is why I look at the guys myself from whats available on the net. 

Yeah, got ya but someone would have to have an extraordinary amount of free time to do this for every player.

Mel Kiper's Latest Draft Has The Jets Picking Offensive Talent Early

By David_Wyatt  @D_wyatt13 on Apr 18 2014, 10:17a 

152588935.0_standard_709.0.jpg
Stephen Dunn

Mel Kiper has released his latest mock draft, and he has the Jets going with some offensive talent early.ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper has the Jets selection offensive talent early in his latest mock draft:

Analysis Brandin Cooks: No player was a tougher cover in college football last year, and we learned why once we got to see Cooks run at the combine. This is a player who is every bit the athlete last year's top wide receiver selection Tavon Austin is, and Cooks is also a little bit bigger. He's just the type of player the Jets need, a tough cover both underneath and running intermediate routes. The Jets need more than one pass-catcher out of this draft, but I also said that last year and they went defense with the first two picks.

I think we all know how much I personally like Cooks, so I agree with this selection 100%. He brings a dynamic angle to this football team. Now that we have a reliable target in Eric Decker, we need to give him some room to work. Adding a burner like Cooks, who also has excellent hands will only help the Jets, and make it near impossible for defences to load up on stopping one Jets target. Now we have CJ, if this offence can add a talent like Brandin Cooks, we are going to put some serious points on the board.

So I was happy enough with this selection, then Kiper followed it up with a very good second round selection

New York Jets
Austin Seferian-Jenkins
, TE, Washington

The Jets get the wide receiver they need in Round 1, and double down with pass-catchers in Round 2 in adding ASJ. He's something of an unrealized talent (at least for me) and could allow the Jets to utilize some new looks. He's a big target.

We upgrade again. I have nothing against Cumberland, but I think we need to add a premier pass catching threat from the tight end position. ASJ is a big red-zone threat. He is still a little raw in some areas, but if you add these two guys to this offence, watch out!

Best receiver is college does not necessarily translate to best WR in NFL.  I see three WRs in this draft that look NFL ready. Watkins, Evans and Lee(if healthy).

I expect a Top 20 talent to be a starter on merit and make an immediate impact on the team from day one. There is no doubt all prospects will continue to learn and improve their abilities but can they have an impact from day one of the season and have a strong rookie season. I do not think Cooks can do that. I think Cooks has a reasonable chance of being successful in the NFL but he might not contribute immediately. Also because of his physical size there are always going to be question marks whether he can last an entire season. Or can he beat press coverage. I did not see a lot of him in press coverage but when i did he clearly struggled on those plays.

To be honest i do not spend as much time studying players like some people out there but based on what i see i do not see him as a Top 20 talent.

Ok, but Cooks was extremely durable in college. Had no injuries or missed any time. 

No offense to anyone, but I find it hard to believe that people on this board watched Oregon St. games (I could almost stop here, but I'll go on) and focused on how Brandin Cooks played against press coverage. Not saying he does or doesn't struggle but this scenario is hard for me to imagine.

Villain's right, no one does unless it's for the one or two teams that you watch. However, what one does, or at least what I do, is find a scout(s) that is reputable at breaking down film and see the commonalities in their findings.  Often times they will point to specific games (e.g. Cooks vs. Oregon) that show the positive or negative attributes of the player that they were discussing.  The entire mock-draft community is based on 99.9% second-hand information: if I haven't seen the player play extensively, which unless they played for LSU I haven't, I at least try to base my opinions on stats and the write-ups of guys like Matt Waldmen etc. 

Villain's right, no one does unless it's for the one or two teams that you watch. However, what one does, or at least what I do, is find a scout(s) that is reputable at breaking down film and see the commonalities in their findings.  Often times they will point to specific games (e.g. Cooks vs. Oregon) that show the positive or negative attributes of the player that they were discussing.  The entire mock-draft community is based on 99.9% second-hand information: if I haven't seen the player play extensively, which unless they played for LSU I haven't, I at least try to base my opinions on stats and the write-ups of guys like Matt Waldmen etc. 

This is why I love Draftbreakdown.com. You plug in a players name and they give you game footage, not in a "highlights" format but down by down that the player is on the field. You get to see a player's entire game activity is 10 minutes. You can't do it with everyone but I've always been particularly interested in the WR position and this year I've paid closer attention to the CB/DE/OLB positions. 

This is where I begin to differ from the "experts". For a pass rush I would draft Dee Ford or Marcus Smith before anyone else not named Jadaveon Clowney. For CB's I think Phillip Gaines is a 1st round talent, his problem is that he went to Rice and not Michigan State, Oklahoma St or TCU. Outside of of the top guys like a Watkins and Evans, Lee etc. I feel guys like Jordan Matthews, Paul Richardson, Cody Latimer and a healthy Devin Street are legit WR's and could have easily been top draft prospect WR's as well. 

Archived