Top 5 LBs in the draft

joewilly12

I think the Jets might pick one of them at 18

1. Khalil Mack, Buffalo: While most players at smaller schools are subject to questions about strength of competition, Mack seems to have eluded those questions, and for good reason — no matter the opponent, he simply explodes off the tape with a compelling mixture of pure athleticism and closing speed. He seems to perfectly fit the NFL prototype of the hybrid player who can move from strong-side linebacker to rush end (think Von Miller), and there’s little doubt that the 6-foot-3, 251-pound Mack will be selected among the first few picks in the 2014 draft. The 2013 MAC Defensive Player of the Year had an amazing season, with 100 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 19 tackles for loss, five forced fumbles and three interceptions (for two touchdowns). He’s the do-it-all linebacker in this class, and his performances against Ohio State and Baylor eliminated any doubts about how Mack would fare against bigger programs.

“I don’t want to limit myself to just playing one specific thing,” he said at the scouting combine. “I feel like that’s the biggest thing for me. When I work out with the defensive ends, I work out with the linebackers, I also go over and workout with the DBs — just to stay fresh. I work hard, and I want to stay loose and don’t want to put a limit on myself.”

Nor should he.

Draft projection: Top 10

2. Anthony Barr, UCLA: Of the “endbackers” (edge-rushing linebackers) in this class, Barr shows the most on tape, convincing you he’ll transition to that same role in the NFL. The former running back has played his current position for two years (amassing 23.5 sacks), and he’s raw from a technique perspective as a result, but few players bring more athletic potential. At 6-5 and 255 pounds, Barr has the speed and balance to bend the edge on the blitz, the agility to drop into coverage and the strength to occasionally just rag-doll a blocker. The team that takes him and builds on these attributes could be rewarded with a special player for a long time to come.

“Difficult at first,” he said of the transition from offense to defense. “I think moving backward and going back in coverage, was something that was new to me. But now I feel comfortable with that. Just sort of getting used to the position. It’s still sort of new to me in a sense. It’s exciting. If I continue to work, the sky’s the limit.”

Draft projection: Top 15

3. Ryan Shazier, Ohio State: Shazier may be the best linebacker in this class who actually plays at linebacker depth most of the time (further illustrating the blurring of lines when it comes to this position), and that’s where his value is most evident. Like Luke Kuechly, Lavonte David and Bobby Wagner, Shazier shows the potential to be a full-field athletic linebacker who can hit the hole in the run game, cover short and intermediate routes and chase opponents from sideline to sideline. The more traditional linebacker has dropped in overall value in the last few seasons, but there is a growing awareness in the NFL that the lighter, faster versions of such players can define a defense.

Draft projection: Round 1

4. C.J. Mosley, Alabama: While Mosley can play multiple positions, he projects best as an inside linebacker at the next level. That doesn’t mean that he’s limited, though — he’s a 360-degree player who excelled in tackling, range plays and coverage for one of the nation’s best and most complex defenses. Mosley leads with his instincts, and he’s a very aware player. Even at a position where players are prone to pick up stats, his numbers have been impressive in their consistency — 107 tackles in 2012, and 108 in ’13. There are injury concerns, as there have been with an increasing number of Alabama prospects, but Mosley looks to have everything it takes to be a plug-and-play starter for a good, long time.

Draft projection: Round 1

5. Kyle Van Noy, BYU: Speaking of versatility, Van Noy is another do-it-all guy capable of rushing the passer, tackling well and showing real athleticism in coverage. He’s got the size (6-3, 243) to be a pure edge rusher, and though he tends to overshoot his targets at times, that ability shows up on tape. He’ll be best-suited for an NFL defense that lets him roam free, avoid too many blockers and make plays in atypical ways. There were thoughts that he should have left school after his 13-sack season in 2012, but he came back, citing “unfinished business.” That his sack total dropped to four in 2013 doesn’t seem to concern him.

“I feel like I’ve done a lot of things that people around me haven’t done,” Van Noy said at the combine. “I scored five career touchdowns playing defense, so I feel like I’m an offensive player on defense. I want to get the ball in the offense’s hands, but also have the aggression to play linebacker. I feel like every time you get a sack, you try to get the ball out. Quarterbacks, some can’t see you from the backside or some are looking downfield when you’re coming from the front side. I feel like getting the ball is key. At the end of the day, it’s all about getting the ball.”

Van Noy doesn’t really stand out in any one particular area, but he does a lot very well.

Draft projection: Round 1-Round 2

I don't particularly care for selecting 34 ILBs in the first round, but if Evans/Beckham/Lewan/another offensive talent isn't on the board, Mosley and Shazier are certainly worthy of the selection and with Harris at the final year of his contract, will be filling a need.  I've seen far more of Mosley the last few years being an SEC guy, but if all the reports on Shazier are true, he might end up being the better selection, especially if he's able to play behind a dominant defensive line.

I don't particularly care for selecting 34 ILBs in the first round, but if Evans/Beckham/Lewan/another offensive talent isn't on the board, Mosley and Shazier are certainly worthy of the selection and with Harris at the final year of his contract, will be filling a need.  I've seen far more of Mosley the last few years being an SEC guy, but if all the reports on Shazier are true, he might end up being the better selection, especially if he's able to play behind a dominant defensive line.

Shazier is just stupid freaky. He reminds me of an even faster Alec Ogletree from last years draft with that safety/linebacker tweener make up.

I'm skeptical of Mosley.  Pure gut but he feels like a Courtney Upshaw for some reason.  Baller at Bama, meh in the NFL.  Even if I'm wrong, I still wouldnt take him at 18.  Injury history + positional value.  I watched the last 3 Ohio St. games...Mich, M.St. Clemson., their D got shredded every game.  Shazier was the only bright spot.  Kid was all over the field.  Still wouldnt take an undersized ILB there.

Agree - Harris is gone next year - I think Mosley will be the pick. Big dropoff after him. WR will come later.

I doubt Mosley is the pick. We have more pressing issues than to draft a ILB most likely with the 18th pick just to sit him for a year. We can draft a guy like Chris Borland in later rounds and sit him for a year and keep our first 2 picks in the draft for potential day one starters. You also got Shayne Skov from Stanford. 

Shazier is just stupid freaky. He reminds me of an even faster Alec Ogletree from last years draft with that safety/linebacker tweener make up.

If he really is the 237 lbs that he weighed in at the combine and doesn't dip into the 220's during the year, he's going to be a stud. His explosive numbers are impressive (42" vert and 10'10" broad) and while I doubt he would run an official 4.36, an unofficial still probably puts him in the 4.4s.  I just usually don't like taking 34 ILBs that high, but it would be a pick that I wouldn't be upset about.  It's one of those one's where we'd all belly-ache about, but if he becomes Lavonte David or Luke Kuechly, everyone will love it at the end of the season.

I'm skeptical of Mosley.  Pure gut but he feels like a Courtney Upshaw for some reason.  Baller at Bama, meh in the NFL.  Even if I'm wrong, I still wouldnt take him at 18.  Injury history + positional value.  I watched the last 3 Ohio St. games...Mich, M.St. Clemson., their D got shredded every game.  Shazier was the only bright spot.  Kid was all over the field.  Still wouldnt take an undersized ILB there.

It's certainly possible, or he could be a better Dont'a Hightower, who knows. Every time that I watched Alabama play, he seemed to always be around the ball making plays.  It's really hard to make any claims on if I'd take them or not without knowing who's on the board. My preference is pretty much Evans or Beckham if they're there or we trade up and then I'll choose another player when that's no longer an option.

If he really is the 237 lbs that he weighed in at the combine and doesn't dip into the 220's during the year, he's going to be a stud. His explosive numbers are impressive (42" vert and 10'10" broad) and while I doubt he would run an official 4.36, an unofficial still probably puts him in the 4.4s.  I just usually don't like taking 34 ILBs that high, but it would be a pick that I wouldn't be upset about.  It's one of those one's where we'd all belly-ache about, but if he becomes Lavonte David or Luke Kuechly, everyone will love it at the end of the season.

True. What was his playing weight? some people slim down for the combine and bulk back up later. Was he playng at 220?

True. What was his playing weight? some people slim down for the combine and bulk back up later. Was he playng at 220?

There were unsubstantiated rumors that he dipped into the 220s during the season, but that's something I don't think we'll ever really know.  So long as he's not injured, an NFL weight-regimen and dietitians should be able to keep weight on him. If they could do it for Brick, I'm sure they'll be able to keep it on Shazier.

There were unsubstantiated rumors that he dipped into the 220s during the season, but that's something I don't think we'll ever really know.  So long as he's not injured, an NFL weight-regimen and dietitians should be able to keep weight on him. If they could do it for Brick, I'm sure they'll be able to keep it on Shazier.

Hopefully. A former Jets LB who had problems keeping on weight was Aaron Maybin. 

Archived