Jets tell CJ "Open competition at QB"

Gastineau Lives

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8326/geno-smith

The Jets told newly signed RB Chris Johnson their quarterback position would be an open competition between Geno Smith and Michael Vick.

"They said those two will battle it out in camp and may the best man win," said Johnson. The Jets' best case scenario is Smith plays well in the preseason and wins the job outright, but they would not have brought in Vick unless there was some doubt about Smith's ability to develop into an NFL starter. Smith posted a 12-21 TD-to-interception ratio in 2013.

yeah.  geno already commented on this they day after vick signed

“Awesome, man. Vick’s my guy,” Smith said. “We needed to find a guy that was legitimately a guy that could come in and play. I think that’s what we did. Mission accomplished.”

Smith says he realizes that Vick wants to play and won’t be content as a backup.

“That’s every quarterback,” Smith said. “I understand where Mike’s coming from. No one wants to sit the bench. I don’t know a player that does.”

For the next five months, Smith and Vick will compete, a competition Smith says he’s ready for.

“It’s just good to have a guy to compete with like Mike,” Smith said. “We’re going to compete. We’re not going to say, ‘Hey, you’re the starter.’ And we’ll leave it at that. We want to get better. I love it. It’s really making everyone work harder and keep you right on your toes because you don’t have a moment to be satisfied or just say ‘I’ve arrived.’ You’ve got to continue to work at it.”

Smith will have to work hard to keep Vick from taking his job.

“Awesome, man. Vick’s my guy,” Smith said. “We needed to find a guy that was legitimately a guy that could come in and play. I think that’s what we did. Mission accomplished.”

Smith says he realizes that Vick wants to play and won’t be content as a backup.

“That’s every quarterback,” Smith said. “I understand where Mike’s coming from. No one wants to sit the bench. I don’t know a player that does.”

For the next five months, Smith and Vick will compete, a competition Smith says he’s ready for.

“It’s just good to have a guy to compete with like Mike,” Smith said. “We’re going to compete. We’re not going to say, ‘Hey, you’re the starter.’ And we’ll leave it at that. We want to get better. I love it. It’s really making everyone work harder and keep you right on your toes because you don’t have a moment to be satisfied or just say ‘I’ve arrived.’ You’ve got to continue to work at it.”

I know, I just wasn't aware whether the front office had ever made such a pronouncement or had hinted at it or not.

I think the more interesting thing about this is that IF the Jets are willing to rolling into this year with an "open QB competition" between a washed-up veteran and a 2nd rounder who left them with enough doubts that they brought in a washed-up veteran, THEN in what round to they take a QB... Because you IF the veteran wins the competition, you have to have a replacement in place being prepped, and if the 2nd rounder you doubted wins, it still can't leave you with enough confidence that you ignore the QB position in this year's draft.

At least, that's the way I look at it. 

I think the more interesting thing about this is that IF the Jets are willing to rolling into this year with an "open QB competition" between a washed-up veteran and a 2nd rounder who left them with enough doubts that they brought in a washed-up veteran, THEN in what round to they take a QB... Because you IF the veteran wins the competition, you have to have a replacement in place being prepped, and if the 2nd rounder you doubted wins, it still can't leave you with enough confidence that you ignore the QB position in this year's draft.

At least, that's the way I look at it. 

good question that might depend on what QB they want to target and how they truly feel about the position as it stands. I agree with your assessment on both QB's washed up and disappointing 2nd rounder. I like Garappolo since I know the Jets wont get a Manziel the question I have since I have not been following the draft much is what round is garappolo projected to go in ?

Vick is not very good anymore, but on the other hand Geno couldn't beat out Mark Sanchez less than a year ago. This should be good.

Im not too sure about this Vick statement. I think he has more than people suggest.  Im also not surprised that a rookie thats new to everything NFL didn't beat out Mark Sanchez. 

good question that might depend on what QB they want to target and how they truly feel about the position as it stands. I agree with your assessment on both QB's washed up and disappointing 2nd rounder. I like Garappolo since I know the Jets wont get a Manziel the question I have since I have not been following the draft much is what round is garappolo projected to go in ?

No idea.

My outlook is that there is zero way to predict what round a QB will truly go in. We'll know, after the fact, tbh.

Reading between the lines:  no one on the team thinks Matt Simms is a legitimate option to even compete at QB.

Early on, he and guys like Mettenberger and Savage were penciled in to go in the third or fourth round, but lately they've crept all the way up to the top of the second. There's no way to tell, though. I think that has a lot to do with the scrutiny the projected first rounders have started to get. I don't think the Jets will be looking at QB that high, and I definitely don't think they'll reach for one.

Early on, he and guys like Mettenberger and Savage were penciled in to go in the third or fourth round, but lately they've crept all the way up to the top of the second. There's no way to tell, though. I think that has a lot to do with the scrutiny the projected first rounders have started to get. I don't think the Jets will be looking at QB that high, and I definitely don't think they'll reach for one.

The mid round QB's have risen and the early round QB's have fallen, projection-wise. This should be fun to watch.

Nope, the preseason, twelve NFL practice Geno Smith is exactly the Geno Smith we're going to get this year.

Yes, because players never improve ever. A great example would be Peyton Manning, who set a record for most INTs as a rookie. That guy never got any better. 

And before you twist this into me comparing Geno to Manning STFU. I was simply using Manning as an example of a QB who struggled as a rookie and then got better. 

Just because Geno struggled in camp last year doesn't mean it will be the same this year. 

Yes, because players never improve ever. A great example would be Peyton Manning, who set a record for most INTs as a rookie. That guy never got any better. 

And before you twist this into me comparing Geno to Manning STFU. I was simply using Manning as an example of a QB who struggled as a rookie and then got better. 

Just because Geno struggled in camp last year doesn't mean it will be the same this year.

Pretty sure that was sarcasm....

I should avoid sarcasm. That's your gig. I was agreeing with you.

Archived