Jets tell CJ "Open competition at QB"

Gastineau Lives

Geno will be just fine. He led us to the brink of playoffs. I enjoyed watching him last year. Confident expectation. All young QBs make big mistakes. Geno is no exception. Yet we still were in it to the end. Really looking forward to this year. Jets win AFC east. I don't need a briefcase full of data, to support my optimism, my eyeballs do that job more than adequately. Young, fast, tenacious, innovative coaching and more. .......Go JETS!!!

Early on, he and guys like Mettenberger and Savage were penciled in to go in the third or fourth round, but lately they've crept all the way up to the top of the second. There's no way to tell, though. I think that has a lot to do with the scrutiny the projected first rounders have started to get. I don't think the Jets will be looking at QB that high, and I definitely don't think they'll reach for one.

This time last year Geno was going first overall, and the Jets were targeting Ryan Nassib as a savior in the 2nd. Mmm, he has such big hands!

Maybe I should do a Jet Nation Radio show with you instead of stoicsentry. We're like Clyde Frazier and Pearl Monroe.

More like John Starks in a game 7, and Anthony Mason trying to dribble in traffic.

Yes, because players never improve ever. A great example would be Peyton Manning, who set a record for most INTs as a rookie. That guy never got any better. 

And before you twist this into me comparing Geno to Manning STFU. I was simply using Manning as an example of a QB who struggled as a rookie and then got better. 

Just because Geno struggled in camp last year doesn't mean it will be the same this year. 

yes Manning did struggle as a Rookie but he also lit it up with 28 TDs' as well and had some very good games. I'm still not a big Manning fan when it comes to the playoffs he certainly does struggle against the better defenses as most QB's do but he does it a bit too much IMO and its the reason why he will not be in the same sentence with playoff performers like Montana Brady Aikman and Bradshaw sure those guys never put up Manning regular season numbers but Manning never put up playoff numbers like they did.

yes Manning did struggle as a Rookie but he also lit it up with 28 TDs' as well and had some very good games. I'm still not a big Manning fan when it comes to the playoffs he certainly does struggle against the better defenses as most QB's do but he does it a bit too much IMO and its the reason why he will not be in the same sentence with playoff performers like Montana Brady Aikman and Bradshaw sure those guys never put up Manning regular season numbers but Manning never put up playoff numbers like they did.

Actually, looking at Manning's game logs from his rookie year don't show any "very good games." His best overall performance was week 13 against Baltimore where he went 31 of 38 for 357, 3 TD and 1 INT but his team lost 38-31. Maybe a shootout but judging from the rest of the season more likely just garbage time numbers when trailing by a wide margin. 

Actually, looking at Manning's game logs from his rookie year don't show any "very good games." His best overall performance was week 13 against Baltimore where he went 31 of 38 for 357, 3 TD and 1 INT but his team lost 38-31. Maybe a shootout but judging from the rest of the season more likely just garbage time numbers when trailing by a wide margin. 

yeah agreed but He did still throw 28 TD's .... Geno never came close to that and did not even perform well when we were behind. I'm not a big Geno fan but your right he did only play for one year whether or not he takes it to the next few levels is up to him (the key is Idzik is putting some offensive talent that's relevant in place) and if the Jets want to sit through it or bring in Vick. That being said what I've seen from Garappolo is impressive the question is does he have the smarts to make it as an NFL QB ? That's what makes or breaks NFL QB's.... we've seen QB after QB with incredible talent fail because they cant handle the mental aspect of the game.

Archived