Revis trade, one year later: Winners, losers

F.Chowds

Yes, $123 million (and set to fly up), and of course one did. The gamble was a pretty safe one. The 13th pick isn't THAT strong a pick in general and last year wasn't a very strong first round throughout. That Richardson is possibly awesome works out well for the Jets, yay, and the NFL.

I think it's hilarious that you think the NFL should parade around and openly **** people. Not that they basically don't, but they're pretty damn good at getting it swept away. Possibly you are their JN plant?

Ever since the history came out of the depths to which the league and the owners went with the concussion scandal, I really wouldn't put anything past them at this point. Most of these guys are greedy pieces of sh*t.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all of the extreme levels of absurdity that can fill this board, nothing ever quite matches the lunacy that is Gato's Revis posts.  For years now, every single argument has been based upon 100% completely fabricated conspiracy theories with no factual basis whatsoever.  Any and all of them which have seen any opportunity to be proven true, have all ultimately been proven wrong.  That's not even to mention that these arguments constantly contradict each other.

Amazing how Revis absolutely, unquestionably did not want $16 million this time last year, and it was all a plot against him by the evil media and horrid Jets to say that he did (despite that argument making absolutely no sense whatsoever), yet now suddenly it seems the entire league was actually plotting against him to keep him from getting the amount he so clearly deserved, despite 31 teams not seeming to agree last year (32 this year), he allegedly not even wanting that much, and him still managing to get it.

There's more value to a LETSGOJETS Pennington argument than this mindless nonsense.

if the Pats win a ton of games this year and Revis is a big part of it, it's tough to say the Jets are winners because of Sheldon and cap space.

especially if the Jets get to the wild card and lose to the Pats on the road (a fairly common scenario over the years)

TBD to be determined. Having him back in the division only one year after the trade is pretty much a worst case scenario for the Jets.

ita with you , the article left out the reality , although horrifying for us , that the Pats can still be the winners here

Ever since the history came out of the depths to which the league and the owners went with the concussion scandal, I really wouldn't put anything past them at this point. Most of these guys are greedy pieces of sh*t.

K.

So the real story is likely something like this:

NFL team owners and their lackey GMs, who badly crave a superbowl certainly all agree that paying Revis $16M would help them get there (like his presence has helped the Jets win so many). But they all got together in a darkened room and agreed no one is to pay Revis $16M as an average annual salary on a contract. They agreed and moved on to the next item on the agenda, which is how to eat healthy, live, newborn human babies without Nike pulling its ads. Unfortunately, the unpopular kid lashed back to fight the good fight and pay Darrelle Revis $16M. So the owners then colluded to get the refs and 1 or 2 underpaid plants on the team (well they're all underpaid, but I digress) to see to it that they won no more than 5 games in 2013. This is how we won game 1 against them, for example; Lavonte David got $75,000 in cash in a brown paper bag for his late hit on Geno Smith. In the end, Tampa's season was a flop, the righteous head coach and GM were fired, and Revis was cut. Then the owners reconvened quickly into the darkened room (they had a meeting on the calendar anyway to make progress on the baby devouring thing they're still working on). The Revis limit was to be set at $12M this year, and the winner of the Revis lottery (Kraft) was to make a public statement that he wasn't the highest bidder by a long shot but that Revis chose to take less.  In exchange for the $12M, Revis agreed to say nothing about it publicly.

lol - certainly more likely than only 1 team foolishly thinking Revis is worth the price of a #13 overall pick plus another pick, plus $16M/year. "It's only foolish for the other teams. But we know what we're doing here in Tampa. Just you watch!"

You realize that paying Revis more doesn't necessarily cost an owner more, yes? Paying Revis $16M in any season, instead of $12M, doesn't bump up the team's spending cap limit by $4M. It merely decreases the amount they can cumulatively pay other players by $4M.  

if the Pats win a ton of games this year and Revis is a big part of it, it's tough to say the Jets are winners because of Sheldon and cap space.

especially if the Jets get to the wild card and lose to the Pats on the road (a fairly common scenario over the years)

TBD to be determined. Having him back in the division only one year after the trade is pretty much a worst case scenario for the Jets.

Damn, I know you love to be the provocative contrarian, but this is ridiculous. The trade was so bad for Tampa that they dumped Revis after one losing season. Sure, the Jets would prefer he not play in their division, but what were they supposed to do? Pay him $16M just to keep him off the Pats?

Meanwhile, Revis signed a two year, $32M contract with NE. He's due $20M next year. If the Pats have a strong season, particularly on the strength of their defense for the first time in forever, Revis will probably parlay that into another payday with his fourth team in four years.

Less so than most other players in the league, but of course he is. The Bucs and league announced it as 6/96 and he got 1/16 out of it. Where is that not a bit of a **** you?

Anyway, change 31 to 32 and write unexpectedly as "unexpectedly"...hilarious to depressing because #proleshateproles. Unless you're the NFL plant, in which case boooooo.

Revis knew what he was signing with Tampa. Every contract gets announced in its most glowing potential terms, but that deal was essentially a series of one year, $16M deals with no guarantees. I thought he'd see two years of it, but there's no way he thought he'd ever see the whole thing.

I've never faulted Revis for squeezing every penny out of any owner who wants to deal with him, but the way he does business has led to these non-guaranteed contracts that's he's likely to see for the rest of his career. No signing bonuses, and no leverage if he opts to hold out.

I still say the Jets should have signed Revis back for far less than $16 mil and could have solved the Jets secondary hole in one fell swoop. Instead, Idzil totally fumbled the ball on the goal line with this one

Revis is where he wanted to to be. It would've taken a lot more than the $12M he's getting this year to entice him to return to the Jets, and really, the owner probably let it be known that he didn't want the headache. And Idzik, given his other moves, probably wasn't all that interested in the highest paid CB in the league, anyway.

K.

So the real story is likely something like this:

NFL team owners and their lackey GMs, who badly crave a superbowl certainly all agree that paying Revis $16M would help them get there (like his presence has helped the Jets win so many). But they all got together in a darkened room and agreed no one is to pay Revis $16M as an average annual salary on a contract. They agreed and moved on to the next item on the agenda, which is how to eat healthy, live, newborn human babies without Nike pulling its ads. Unfortunately, the unpopular kid lashed back to fight the good fight and pay Darrelle Revis $16M. So the owners then colluded to get the refs and 1 or 2 underpaid plants on the team (well they're all underpaid, but I digress) to see to it that they won no more than 5 games in 2013. This is how we won game 1 against them, for example; Lavonte David got $75,000 in cash in a brown paper bag for his late hit on Geno Smith. In the end, Tampa's season was a flop, the righteous head coach and GM were fired, and Revis was cut. Then the owners reconvened quickly into the darkened room (they had a meeting on the calendar anyway to make progress on the baby devouring thing they're still working on). The Revis limit was to be set at $12M this year, and the winner of the Revis lottery (Kraft) was to make a public statement that he wasn't the highest bidder by a long shot but that Revis chose to take less. In exchange for the $12M, Revis agreed to say nothing about it publicly.

lol - certainly more likely than only 1 team foolishly thinking Revis is worth the price of a #13 overall pick plus another pick, plus $16M/year. "It's only foolish for the other teams. But we know what we're doing here in Tampa. Just you watch!"

You realize that paying Revis more doesn't necessarily cost an owner more, yes? Paying Revis $16M in any season, instead of $12M, doesn't bump up the team's spending cap limit by $4M. It merely decreases the amount they can cumulatively pay other players by $4M.

Mother of god.

Damn, I know you love to be the provocative contrarian, but this is ridiculous. The trade was so bad for Tampa that they dumped Revis after one losing season. Sure, the Jets would prefer he not play in their division, but what were they supposed to do? Pay him $16M just to keep him off the Pats?

Meanwhile, Revis signed a two year, $32M contract with NE. He's due $20M next year. If the Pats have a strong season, particularly on the strength of their defense for the first time in forever, Revis will probably parlay that into another payday with his fourth team in four years.

prefer he not play in the division is putting it diplomatically. 

Casual Jets fans are going to want to put out their eyes when Revis suits up in Pats colors against the Jets 

we are die hards. We've justified Revis leaving for a long time. SOme of us, like Bleedin, don't think Revis was ever worth the money, and getting him off the team is addition by subtraction

but make no mistake... the Jets let a generational player get away and now he's on the Pats. This is not a good development. there's alot of ways this could still go bad. For this thread to declare winners and losers 1 year later is premature. 

it's notable that the Revis signing happened basically the same time as the Decker signing. In other words the Jets didn't get any better against the Pats. THey signed a guy for 7 mil dollars a year to get blanketed. Against other (bad) teams this is a good signing. Against the Pats it's like why bother even signing this player? he's not going to be able to escape Revis island.

and not to mention the fact they went 1st round CB last year and could do again this year. whats the opportunity cost on all the first round corners? 

you are right I am a contrarian but you don't have to play devils advocate to see all the ways this could screw the Jets. And let's be real they are the Jets they are going to get screwed. This is just the obvious prediction. 

ps-  I like Sheldon, alot. But if anyone thinks this guy with 3 sacks last year (plus cap space) is worth a Revis, you are seeing the world green colored glasses. I mean, what are they going to do with all this cap space? 

Casual Jets fans are going to want to put out their eyes when Revis suits up in Pats colors against the Jets 

we are die hards. We've justified Revis leaving for a long time. SOme of us, like Bleedin, don't think Revis was ever worth the money, and getting him off the team is addition by subtraction

but make no mistake... the Jets let a generational player get away and now he's on the Pats. This is not a good development. there's alot of ways this could still go bad. For this thread to declare winners and losers 1 year later is premature. 

it's notable that the Revis signing happened basically the same time as the Decker signing. In other words the Jets didn't get any better against the Pats. THey signed a guy for 7 mil dollars a year to get blanketed. Against other (bad) teams this is a good signing. Against the Pats it's like why bother even signing this player? he's not going to be able to escape Revis island.

and not to mention the fact they went 1st round CB last year and could do again this year. whats the opportunity cost on all the first round corners? 

you are right I am a contrarian but you don't have to play devils advocate to see all the ways this could screw the Jets. And let's be real they are the Jets they are going to get screwed. This is just the obvious prediction. 

ps-  I like Sheldon, alot. But if anyone thinks this guy with 3 sacks last year (plus cap space) is worth a Revis, you are seeing the world green colored glasses. I mean, what are they going to do with all this cap space? 

Or on the other hand: Decker signed for $7 million and Revis signed for $12 million.The Pats foolishly signed a $12 million CB to blanket a $7 dollar WR. Seems both fiscally and strategically irresponsible. Poor allocation of resources.. Jets win by $5 million. 

/Bizarro World Bit'd 

No one in their right mind grades a trade based on where a player winds up after he gets cut from the team that traded for him a year later.

Saying the Jets let Revis get away is also silly. Revis forced his way out of town with his (unreasonable) demands and holdouts. I applaud the guy for getting everything he possibly can, but how long were the Jets supposed to bend to those demands? They "let him go" for a first round pick that netted them the DROY, and a fourth rounder still pending. It's not like he reached the end of his contract and walked. If Sheldon never improves from his rookie season, and they get squat with that fourth rounder, the Jets still made out extremely well in the trade.

The Pats got themselves a nice free agent pickup that solidifies their place in the Super Bowl conversation this year. That has nothing to do with the Jets trade. I look forward to seeing how negotiations go next year when Revis is scheduled to earn more than twice as much as Tom Brady. Again.

Revis knew what he was signing with Tampa. Every contract gets announced in its most glowing potential terms, but that deal was essentially a series of one year, $16M deals with no guarantees. I thought he'd see two years of it, but there's no way he thought he'd ever see the whole thing.

I've never faulted Revis for squeezing every penny out of any owner who wants to deal with him, but the way he does business has led to these non-guaranteed contracts that's he's likely to see for the rest of his career. No signing bonuses, and no leverage if he opts to hold out.

Of course Revis knew the announced contract was bullsh*t. The reason he acts the way he acts about money is built around knowing that the contracts players sign in this league, as they are announced to the ever frothing and angry public, are bullsh*t.

The concussion scandal - another publicly ignored/supported deep dicking of players.

If I were rich I would just eat poor people. I'd just drop a technicality...hey don't think of it as me eating you, think of it as me saving you from being poor...and chuckle at the acceptance that would wash over their being. 

Revis forced his way out of town with his (unreasonable) demands and holdouts. 

The Pats got themselves a nice free agent pickup that solidifies their place in the Super Bowl conversation this year. That has nothing to do with the Jets trade. I look forward to seeing how negotiations go next year when Revis is scheduled to earn more than twice as much as Tom Brady. Again.

Another way of looking at it, this owner has never had a player as good as Revis and didn't know how to treat him. There was a point when Revis was holding out on Hard Knocks, he was scheduled to make less than Eric Smith. That's not entirely on Revis. The expectation was that Revis was supposed to play out his deal and be the 7th highest paid DB on that team. The Jets poisoned the well with Revis it wasn't a one sided situation. 

and by the way I agree that Revis is a 1 year rental for NE but the earnings of Tom Brady are depressed because his wife makes more money than he does. Tom Brady took a team friendly deal, when you say Brady is slated to make more, that's not on Revis, that's on Tom Brady. Brady could have had Peyton Manning money but he chose to take less.

Another way of looking at it, this owner has never had a player as good as Revis and didn't know how to treat him. There was a point when Revis was holding out on Hard Knocks, he was scheduled to make less than Eric Smith. That's not entirely on Revis. The expectation was that Revis was supposed to play out his deal and be the 7th highest paid DB on that team. The Jets poisoned the well with Revis it wasn't a one sided situation. 

and by the way I agree that Revis is a 1 year rental for NE but the earnings of Tom Brady are depressed because his wife makes more money than he does. Tom Brady took a team friendly deal, when you say Brady is slated to make more, that's not on Revis, that's on Tom Brady. Brady could have had Peyton Manning money but he chose to take less.

He signed a contract that he knew would pay him poorly during that season, no? How is that not entirely on him?

He signed a contract that he knew would pay him poorly during that season, no? How is that not entirely on him?

If memory serves, his 2010 holdout was based on a rookie contract. BTW i am not saying the blame is totally on one side or the other, the blame is shared. ALot of people  in this thread think Revis is 100% to blame for him leaving. I have it more 50/50. The Jets had a role to play in this situation. 

If memory serves, his 2010 holdout was based on a rookie contract. BTW i am not saying the blame is totally on one side or the other, the blame is shared. ALot of people  in this thread think Revis is 100% to blame for him leaving. I have it more 50/50. The Jets had a role to play in this situation. 

While you know I don't agree with you about Revis, at least your points are based upon real life events, so I can appreciate that, even if I may disagree with your interpretation of them.  As far as his second holdout, my point has always been that the contract Revis refused to honor was one which not only he held out for in the first place, but involved an up-front signing bonus that was based upon a 6-year agreement, to which Revis agreed, regardless of it was a rookie deal or not.  Considering that it is the team, and not the player, making the up-front investment which the player will never pay back, even if cut, how are these two situations equivalent?  That's the main reason the team's have the leverage in terms of retaining players (or at least that's the intention).

I can actually understand one-time holdouts in certain situations from players, but the idea of holding out from a contract you held out for to begin with (and thus got far more than slated to based on draft position), and then immediately making the point that you have no intention of honoring the new contract you just signed after your second holdout, is absolutely ridiculous.  Add in faking injuries and not even staying in shape while holding out, as far as I'm concerned those were the final nails in the coffin of Revis' actions being defensible.  Demanding to be paid based on a season he's now over 4 years removed from is just a whole other story.  Granted, the Jets could have retained him if they so chose, but I think Revis' actions and demands made it not the right business decision to do so, particularly when they were able to get what they did in return for him.  We also can't forget that if not for that trade, it's a very real possibility that Revis is still a Patriot today and the Jets are without both Richardson and an extra 4th this year.

What he opted to do after the trade is not on the Jets, as they can't be expected to bend over in front of Revis for his entire career just out of fear of where else he may end up at some point down the line.  It's not like they traded him directly to the Patriots.  Brady has been, and will continue to be, the difference-maker between these two teams, and none of that has changed.

BG, I think you are overstating the case here.  I think that Revis' rookie deal was an anomaly.  IIRC, Tannenbaum was insistent on locking him up for a year more than everybody else.  Revis did not want to sign the longer deal and held out.  People want to bash Tannenbaum, but moving up for Revis and insisting that he tack the extra year on the deal were strokes of genius.  People wanted us to stand pat and take Aaron Ross.  LOL.

BG, I think you are overstating the case here.  I think that Revis' rookie deal was an anomaly.  IIRC, Tannenbaum was insistent on locking him up for a year more than everybody else.  Revis did not want to sign the longer deal and held out.  People want to bash Tannenbaum, but moving up for Revis and insisting that he tack the extra year on the deal were strokes of genius.  People wanted us to stand pat and take Aaron Ross.  LOL.

Well, Tannenbaum may have drawn a line in the sand for a 6 year deal instead of 5, but he didn't get any extra years in the end. He got 3 years out of Revis on that deal I think, and over those 3 years paid him more than if he'd just given him a regular 5 year deal in line with his draft slot.

The stroke of "genius" (if you want to call it that) was the poison pill that prevented Revis from holding out again after paying him $33M over the first 2 years alone in that last 4-year deal.  And surely Revis would have held out again if that clause wasn't in there and he alluded to as much.  But there was give and take with that one as well.  Revis was able to become a UFA after those 4 years were up, and the Jets couldn't tag him.  

Of course a year ago there were no shortage of comments about how stupid Tannenbaum was to agree not to tag Revis after 4 years, but left out of those complaints was the idea that Revis would have held out after 2.

Funny thing about it is in the end we only got 2 years out of Revis anyway, since he blew out his knee after playing 2 incomplete games in 2012, and lost a month of him being truly effective after his holdout ended since he was so out of shape.

The only reason we did not get more years out of Revis was because he wildly outperformed even those numbers.  I remember reading up, down and sideways that we need a corner and we should just sit still and wait for Ross.  Ross went 5 picks before our slot (25).  The next corner was not take until Chris Houston went off the board at 41.   The Panthers ended up with Beason, Kalil and Tim Shaw which doesn't sound that bad, but those guys in their prime helped the Panthers to Cam Newton.

Interesting thing looking back at that draft was the run of WRs in the 3rd.  From Jacoby Jones there were 7 WRs picked in 8 picks with the lone non-WR being TE Matt Spaeth.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the initial pick and had made a similar point in the past regarding how much the Jets were trashed at the time for trading up in what was allegedly supposed to be such a strong CB class.  The trade and pick itself were not bad decisions.  However, I would agree with Sperm that Tanny hardly deserves much praise for that 6-year deal when all it did was have the Jets pay far above market value for 3 years.  Of course, the whole reason for paying that above market value amount was to justify the 6 year deal, but that of course wasn't honored.  I'm still trying to figure out the logic behind Revis being the righteous one when the team made significant concessions with that deal while Revis refused to honor the ones he agreed to in return.  From there it all kind of all goes down hill with Revis when you start considering holdout number 2, faking injuries, showing up out of shape, and immediately threatening a third holdout.

At this point Revis can feel free to do whatever he feels like he can get away with for the rest of his career, but I just think it's ridiculous to trash the team for not wanting any further part of it or defending Revis' actions as if he was some sort of poor innocent martyr in all of this, and not some extremely wealthy player trying to bleed this team for every cent he could, which is by no measurable means in the best interest of the team, which as a fan is where my interest lies.  I'm just curious to see if the same folks so strongly defending Revis now will start crying fowl if Revis has any major injury or sharp decline in play that causes him to be run out of the league because teams no longer see him to be worth the hassle and/or money.

I'm just curious to see if the same folks so strongly defending Revis now will start crying fowl if Revis has any major injury or sharp decline in play that causes him to be run out of the league because teams no longer see him to be worth the hassle and/or money.

BG he made the Pro Bowl last year and was graded out as the best CB in the league by PFF. He's having a hall of fame career. 

Are you predicting a downfall or hoping? 

BG he made the Pro Bowl last year and was graded out as the best CB in the league by PFF. He's having a hall of fame career. 

I suspect there's some hope for it, if not for their friend the owner's money then out of sheer maliciousness. #Prolesreallyarethatdumb

I didn't say he was or even will, I simply said if he does.  After all, most players eventually do.  My point is many of the same folks trying to portray Revis as completely justified in how he has handled his NFL career will likely be rushing to his defense and admonishing the evil's of the NFL if those same actions ever come back to bite him in the ass.  It's quite possible they never will, and it will just work out fine and dandy for him throughout his career, but he's certainly rolling the dice with these kinds of actions, that's all I'm saying.

While there are of course exceptions, for the most part teams tend to be far more willing to give those late career / second chance type contracts to guys seen to be "team players".  The ones who are seen as a "hassle" (for whichever of a variety of reasons that may be) to the team are often the ones who disappear from the league the moment they aren't what they once were.  If Revis becomes one of those guys, I'm just curious how much we get to hear about how he's been wronged, despite the cause of it being his own actions which are being so adamantly defended by some.  Of course it may very well never come to that.

I suspect there's some hope for it, if not for their friend the owner's money then out of sheer maliciousness. #Prolesreallyarethatdumb

It's yet to dawn on you just how stupid this argument is?

Every Jets fan should give a crap about Woody Johnson's money.  At least the portion of Woody Johnson's money that in involved with paying players within the salary cap.  As a Jet fan, as opposed to a Revis fan, I want the Jets to be good.  Revis holding the team hostage year after year is not in the best interest of the Jets.  So, yes, I care a ton more about Woody Johnson's money than Darrelle Revis, especially when Darrelle Revis is working in opposition to the best interest of the team.

Guys are welcome to try to get every dime they can... But, no reason to fault the owner for saying "No Thanks."  Nor the fans for seeing how all the good Revis may have done for the team doesn't necessarily outweigh the bad he did.

My point is many of the same folks trying to portray Revis as completely justified in how he has handled his NFL career will likely be rushing to his defense and admonishing the evil's of the NFL if those same actions ever come back to bite him in the ass.

The bite in the ass was inevitable before he did anything, ask Tomlinson or Ware.

It's yet to dawn on you just how stupid this argument is?

Every Jets fan should give a crap about Woody Johnson's money.  At least the portion of Woody Johnson's money that in involved with paying players within the salary cap.  As a Jet fan, as opposed to a Revis fan, I want the Jets to be good.  Revis holding the team hostage year after year is not in the best interest of the Jets.  So, yes, I care a ton more about Woody Johnson's money than Darrelle Revis, especially when Darrelle Revis is working in opposition to the best interest of the team.

Guys are welcome to try to get every dime they can... But, no reason to fault the owner for saying "No Thanks."  Nor the fans for seeing how all the good Revis may have done for the team doesn't necessarily outweigh the bad he did.

All "I don't root for the name of the back of the uniform" nonsense is just more of #proleshatingproles. At best it's meatheadedness...Paid armies couldn't be more loyal.

OTOH I have really enjoyed the versatility of your username.

I've come to find Revis as a self serving douche, but I can't fault him for beating the system either. But then again- he's also built differently...granted I'm not paid to play football, but I can't imagine finding ways to beat the system is as  enjoyable as it is just being one of the guys(which he'll never be).

All "I don't root for the name of the back of the uniform" nonsense is just more of #proleshatingproles. At best it's meatheadedness...Paid armies couldn't be more loyal.

OTOH I have really enjoyed the versatility of your username.

In English?

Archived