Mike Evans to Visit the New York Jets Today

stugotz81

I would be interested in trading down for this 6'5 beaassst if we didnt have to sacrifice too much.  But cant see Idzik doing that....I expect at this point him keeping our pick and going for Beckham/Cooks....

http://thejetpress.com/2014/04/20/mike-evans-visit-new-york-jets-tomorrow/

A little news out of Jets camp this evening. This is courtesy of Manish Mehta:

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDNFollow

Texas A&M Mike Evans is indeed visiting the Jets tomorrow, as @MikeGarafolo said. No way he makes it No. 18. Will have to trade up. #nyj 10:34 PM - 20 Apr 2014

So Mike Evans is scheduled to meet with Rex, John, and company. The Jets are looking to add playmakers on offense, and Evans would certainly fit the bill.

The question is whether or not Evans would be available to the Jets with the 18th pick. The resounding opinion is no, he would not be. If you take a look at the mock drafts and the collective opinions around the league, there is no way Mike Evans would be available.

So, would the Jets trade up to choose him? Logic says no, thanks to the depth of the WR class. But, it will always be hard to get a read on John Idzik. Maybe he covets Evans that much? We’ll see.

USC wide receiver Marqise Lee visiting Jets Sunday and Monday

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Sunday, April 20, 2014, 3:04 PM
  • A
  •  
  • A
  •  
  • A

comments.png  

SHARE THIS URL
ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSUSC wide receiver Marqise Lee is in the mix for the Jets at No. 18 in the first round of the NFL draft next month

The Jets will begin a busy week of pre-draft visits by hosting a few of the top wide receivers that could be available when the Jets select at No. 18 next month.

The Daily News has learned that USC’s Marqise Lee will be visiting the Jets Sunday night and Monday.

The News reported last month that high-level Jets personnel held private meetings with Lee before and after his Pro Day in Los Angeles. Lee won the 2012 Biletnikoff Award with a breakout season (1,721 yards, 14 TDs) as a junior before nagging leg injuries led to 791 yards and 4 TDs last season. The 6-0, 195-pound Lee has the run-after-the catch skill set to help replace the void left by Santonio Holmes’ departure.

The News has learned that the Jets will also host other targets this week with the hope of landing a cornerstone player that can be a true No. 1 threat in the league. LSU’s Odell Beckham, Jr., will be visiting Monday night and Tuesday. Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks is also scheduled to come to Florham Park this week.

Texas A&M wideout Mike Evans, regarded as the second best player at his position in the draft, is also visiting Monday. The Jets, however, would have to trade up to have a realistic chance at drafting Evans, who is expected to be a Top 10 pick.

Beckham’s college teammate Jarvis Landry, who is on the Jets’ radar as a possible pick in a later round, is visiting on Monday. Texas Tech tight end Jace Amaro is also slated to come to town this week.

The Jets are keeping a close eye on cornerbacks early in the draft. To that end, TCU's Jason Verrett will arrive in New Jersey Sunday night for his visit with the Jets on Monday. The team ends the week with a visit from Michigan State cornerback Darqueze Dennard.

Although pass catcher and cornerback are obvious areas of need in the first couple rounds, Gang Green could also use an edge pass rusher. To that end, Boise State DE/OLB DeMarcus Lawrence will be visiting on Tuesday.

NOTE: The Jets will begin Phase One of the offseason workout program on Monday. The first phase of the voluntary program is limited to strength and conditioning and rehab.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/usc-wide-receiver-marqise-lee-visiting-jets-sunday-monday-blog-entry-1.1762830#ixzz2zX73SH85

Jason Verrett slated for visit with Jets

Posted by Josh Alper on April 20, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjAP

The Jets have either met with or set up meetings with a lot of prospective first round wide receivers and cornerbacks recently and that trend that will continue on Monday.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily Newsreports that TCU cornerback Jason Verrettwill visit with the team a few days before Michigan State’s Darqueze Dennard also drops by the team’s headquarters. Virginia Tech’s Kyle Fuller, Oklahoma State’s Justin Gilbert and Ohio State’s Bradley Roby have also drawn interest from a team looking for help at cornerback after cutting Antonio Cromartie earlier this offseason.

Verrett is expected to go in the latter half of the first round despite shoulder surgery in March. He’s expected to be ready to go in time for training camp, which is a similar timeline to the one Jets cornerback and 2013 first-round pick Dee Milliner followed last offseason.

The Jets are also expected to have receivers Brandin CooksOdell Beckhamand Marqise Leein for visits this week which means they could just sort things out by having everyone go one-on-one to determine the best fit for the 18th overall pick.

What if Mike Evans and Ebron are there at 18? Its possible. Does that mean Cooks and Beckham could make it to the 2nd round?

If Evans is there take him in a heartbeat. But I just don't think he's slam dunk enough to trade up for w extra picks, considering in how deep the WR pool is this yr, IMO.

I'm not into the Ebron pick at all.

Eifert was a better prospect last yr IMO

If Evans is there take him in a heartbeat. But I just don't think he's slam dunk enough to trade up for w extra picks, considering in how deep the WR pool is this yr, IMO.

The only WR I would think trading up for is Watkins which is not happening- so many good receivers this year that you stay at 18 and grab one or CB if you think Dennard or Gilbert is your man there

My favorite WR class in a while. Reminds me of the 2008 RB class that I really liked a lot at the time with it being so deep. It's got top tier talent and i would not mind double dipping for receivers this year.

Lee and Cooks will both be better than Evans and Beckham will be one of the bigger busts of this draft.

could def happen. I think Cooks is the safest WR pick, personally. Even more so than Watkins. Jmo.

That said if they all reached their stud potential, similar to college, I'd want Evans, even more so than Watkins.

But Watkins has a good less bust high ceiling DNA which is why he should be #1.

Truth be told, I love Lee but the the fact he didn't want to improve the 4.52 at his pro day scares me a bit.

And out of the group if I had to pick one to bust yeah I agree on Beckham jr.

That said I love all 5.

Evans is freakish. At almost 6'6", 230lb and a 4.5 40 yd what the hell else could you want in a receiver?

If he is available and the Jets dont grab him the Jets fans at Radio City will be jumping off the balconies.

I love Evans too but just keep in mind Nelson is 6'5 220 and ran a 4.5 40 w a 38 vert.

I love Evans too but just keep in mind Nelson is 6'5 220 and ran a 4.5 40 w a 38 vert.

When you're that size if you dont play the position aggressively you'll be a JAG...I think Evans does, Nelson's soft. I just dont know if Evans can run all the routes or play on the outside.

When you're that size if you dont play the position aggressively you'll be a JAG...I think Evans does, Nelson's soft. I just dont know if Evans can run all the routes or play on the outside.

Not saying Evans wouldn't potentially be an upgrade but I don't consider Nelson soft either. If the Jets really wanted to bring a new dynamic element to their offense I just think Cooks is more of the guy IMO. But yeah Evans brings more of that potential star #1 caliber thing. I just don't see it as a slam dunk especially given the roster an MM's WCO scheme. In certain ways Cooks is a better fit. And Beckham Jr to a slightly lesser degree. And Paul Richardson maybe the next step down from that.

Not saying Evans wouldn't potentially be an upgrade but I don't consider Nelson soft either. If the Jets really wanted to bring a new dynamic element to their offense I just think Cooks is more of the guy IMO. But yeah Evans brings more of that potential star #1 caliber thing. I just don't see it as a slam dunk especially given the roster an MM's WCO scheme. In certain ways Cooks is a better fit. And Beckham Jr to a slightly lesser degree. And Paul Richardson maybe the next step down from that.

You cant compare guys off of height weight 40 time etc its unfair. Josh Gordon and Stephen Hill both 6-4 4.4 40s 215 does that mean they will have the same production?? That is what your basically saying comparing a guy like Evans to David Nelson. Mike Evans legitimate top 10 pick to David Nelson undrafted free agent. Kerley 5th round pick to bonafide first Brandon Cooks. UNREAL

You cant compare guys off of height weight 40 time etc its unfair. Josh Gordon and Stephen Hill both 6-4 4.4 40s 215 does that mean they will have the same production?? That is what your basically saying comparing a guy like Evans to David Nelson. Mike Evans legitimate top 10 pick to David Nelson undrafted free agent. Kerley 5th round pick to bonafide first Brandon Cooks. UNREAL

agreed. I'm certainly not equating. Was hoping the jist would come through between the lines.

My two main points were you can't just pencil in Evans a star based on size/speed ratio, bc they're basically the same as Nelson's. So now you look at college performance. Evans has amazing hands and body control. As I said Iove him but he did have some issues w separation. Will he maintain his amazing body control and aggressiveness against NFL CBs a la Michael Irvin is my only question. But he's not gonna scare too many D's taking the top off with pure speed. Looking at the jets roster they have similar style guys in Decker and Nelson...granted neither w the amount of upside as Evans.

Which leads me to my second point, a guy like Cooks may play a more dynamic role in MMs offense as he can stretch the field both ways, also has great hands, and really has the tools no other Jets WR has, including Kerely. We all love Kerley for his toughness but he's less like Cooks than say Decker or Nelson is to Evans IMO.

I'm w you on comparisons. It really bothers me when someone says we don't need Cooks bc we have Kerley. It's absurd.

Player comparisons are fun but should be taken w a grain of salt.

However NFL is about creating mismatches, certain players do gave similar styles and you don't want the same type of WRs on the field at the same time.

Kerley is a shifty guy who is a natural finding soft space in zones but he's not scaring anyone w blazing speed either.

Guys that come to mind that could legitimately scare D's is Cooks, Beckham, Richardson to various degrees.

Lee isn't great on paper (40) either but I love him too. He has as much upside as Evans, (or Watkins) pending what you're looking for.

Just to be clear if both are on the board I'd take Evans over Cooks bc he's the better prospect but I wouldn't be sour grapes if Cooks was the pick bc truth be told, he might be the better fit for this team.

I would love any of the 5 at 18, Watkins, Evans, Lee, Cooks, Beckham Jr. But I wouldn't trade up for any of them and lose extra picks.

agreed. I'm certainly not equating. Was hoping the jist would come through between the lines.

My two main points were you can't just pencil in Evans a star based on size/speed ratio, bc they're basically the same as Nelson's. So now you look at college performance. Evans has amazing hands and body control. As I said Iove him but he did have some issues w separation. Will he maintain his amazing body control and aggressiveness against NFL CBs a la Michael Irvin is my only question. But he's not gonna scare too many D's taking the top off with pure speed. Looking at the jets roster they have similar style guys in Decker and Nelson...granted neither w the amount of upside as Evans.

Which leads me to my second point, a guy like Cooks may play a more dynamic role in MMs offense as he can stretch the field both ways, also has great hands, and really has the tools no other Jets WR has, including Kerely. We all love Kerley for his toughness but he's less like Cooks than say Decker or Nelson is to Evans IMO.

I'm w you on comparisons. It really bothers me when someone says we don't need Cooks bc we have Kerley. It's absurd.

Player comparisons are fun but should be taken w a grain of salt.

However NFL is about creating mismatches, certain players do gave similar styles and you don't want the same type of WRs on the field at the same time.

Kerley is a shifty guy who is a natural finding soft space in zones but he's not scaring anyone w blazing speed either.

Guys that come to mind that could legitimately scare D's is Cooks, Beckham, Richardson to various degrees.

Lee isn't great on paper (40) either but I love him too. He has as much upside as Evans, (or Watkins) pending what you're looking for.

If your that big separation is not that much of a factor...Scouts said the same thing about Alshon and he is open every play in the nfl because he can make plays on the ball and box out DBs using his size. Same thing mike evans does exceptionally well.

Ebron and all wr will all be gone at 18, everyone, and I mean everyone

wants one of these guys, there will be a run, even the Giants will pick

one.

2nd time you've said that.  How?  Are GMs going to draft them instead of QBs?  Instead of Clowney? Barr? Mack?  Fine with me, I will take them or a top tackle prospect.  

2nd time you've said that.  How?  Are GMs going to draft them instead of QBs?  Instead of Clowney? Barr? Mack?  Fine with me, I will take them or a top tackle prospect.

With the 17 picks before us, they will grab Ebron, and four or five wr, there will be other

good players, I just want an elite receiving core,

Archived