Jets Hope To Find Cohesion

flgreen

Jets hope to find cohesion among young returning players, older newcomers during offseason workouts

Wide receiver Eric Decker was an important free agent acquisition for the Jets. (Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports)
By Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on April 21, 2014 at 5:53 PM, updated April 21, 2014 at 6:00 PM

•  

The last time the Jets gathered as a team, on Dec. 30, they still buzzed with the energy of what had happened a day earlier.

Following their win over the Dolphins to conclude the season, the players not only celebrated their first back-to-back victories of the year, but also nearly blew the doors off Miami’s visiting locker room, after owner Woody Johnson announced coach Rex Ryan would return.

Nearly four months later, the Jets reconvened Monday at their facility in Florham Park, well aware that a strong finish to another playoff-less season will not cut it in 2014. Ryan liked the excitement he saw from his players as they returned – or, for several high-profile newcomers, arrived for the first time. But optimistic feelings alone will not get the Jets back to the playoffs for the first time since 2010.

“I talked to our team about how I feel, about what our fans expect,” Ryan said during a conference call with reporters, as he recounted his opening message to his players. “To me, it’s time to deliver. We need to deliver.”

That mission started Monday, with the beginning of the offseason workout program. The first two weeks consistent primarily of meetings, and strength and conditioning training. But as the Jets try to break their playoff appearance drought – a must for Ryan if he wants to stick around much longer – this is still an important starting point for the Jets’ young returning players and older newcomers.

Three valuable, second-year Jets are participating fully in an NFL offseason program for the first time: cornerback Dee Milliner, defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson and quarterback Geno Smith.

Milliner’s shoulder surgery sidelined him for all of last offseason until training camp. His absence limited his development. It showed during the season, when he was benched twice. Milliner closed strong, though. He was the AFC’s Defensive Rookie of the Month for December, as he had three interceptions in the final two games. With the Jets still lacking an obvious No. 1 cornerback, Milliner must make significant progress this season if the Jets are to improve their passing defense, which ranked 22nd in the NFL last year.

“I think it’ll be big for him,” to be around all offseason, said Ryan.

Richardson was picked 13th overall last year, four spots behind Milliner. He did not disappoint, as he won the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year Award. But he said his 3½ sacks last year are “not even close to what I have, as far as standards for myself.”

No Jets sophomore will be watched more closely this offseason than Smith, who is competing with newly acquired veteran Michael Vick for the starting job. Smith threw 12 touchdowns and 21 interceptions last year. He spent part of the offseason reviewing his turnovers from last year – “over and over and over again, as painful as it is," he said. One conclusion that he reached: He has what it takes to start in the NFL.

When asked if he expects to be the Jets’ starter this year, Smith said, “yes.” He attributed his confidence to “my belief in myself,” but acknowledged he knows “that I want to take every action possible to get better coming into the season.”

While Vick is familiar with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s West Coast system, from their four seasons together in Philadelphia (2009-12), two other offensive free agent acquisitions who definitely will see major action – wide receiver Eric Decker and running back Chris Johnson – aren’t as savvy with the scheme. The meeting time during offseason workouts will be particularly valuable for them.

Even though West Coast offenses have tended to rely more on passing, the Jets employed a balanced attack last year – 480 passes, 493 runs. In 2012, they ran exactly one more time than they passed.

With the addition of Johnson, Ryan did not rule out – nor did he rule in – a return to the run-focused offense the Jets used in his first season, 2009, when they made the first of two straight AFC title game trips. That year, they ran 607 times and passed 393 times.

With Johnson, Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell, the Jets seem to have the potential to run frequently, especially as the quarterback situation sorts itself out and Decker learns Mornhinweg’s offense.

“The thing that it does give us,” Ryan said of his running back depth, “is an opportunity to play that style of football if we decide that that's best for our team.”

I think the first half of the season may be shaky, mainly with our secondary, Milliner being our #1, I think he'll improve greatly this year but it may take a game or two. Also, CJ and Decker getting used to our system, CJ may not get more than 10 for the first couple of games due to maintaining his health and not overworking his knee. And mainly, the QB competition. It may also take a few weeks to determine the true victor, and I really hope it's geno fair and square (sanchez did out compete him in the preseason last year).

But I think we'll finish strong.

We have a borderline good team now (young and coming), I think we'll have a few key young players that start and excel in the league following the draft. It obviously will take some time, which is why I think we'll finish strong and make the playoffs, and maybe even slip into the AFC championship game*.

*Note: Dreams have no limits, right?**

**Another note: It's not impossible.

Archived