Did any of you NJ/NY guys ever go to 'Action Park'?

JerryK

I'm from Michigan but just now reading about it.  That place must have been terrible and awesome at the same time.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/rare-video-of-people-actually-riding-action-parks-infam-1563953390

From the article:

"No theme park has generated more urban legends—and more confusion about the line between myth and actual, horrible reality—than Action Park, the late, lamented (and since semi-resurrected) water park in northern New Jersey. And no ride has been the subject of more rumors than the Cannonball Loop.

Shoddily run, with the barest nods to safety from both the park's staff and visitors, Action Park was responsible for a staggering amount of injuries and several confirmed deaths, and if you grew up in the area in the '80s or '90s, it was the most fun place on earth. But upon entering, you were confronted with the looming hulk of Cannonball Loop, a water slide that put riders through a complete vertical loop. It was never open. You wondered if it had ever been open."

Physics is for suckers....

nrhpwzup4bdnwm8308ia.jpg

High speed cars on a cement tube:

alpineslide07.jpg

I almost drowned in thier wave pool when I was around 10 years old. Good stuff

not surprising that you spent much of your youth there.  looks like a cross between a trailer park and a spot for a clan rally.

By the time I came around, my older brothers and sister had enough war stories from that place that the family never returned.  Pretty sure they had a buddy who got caught in the crazy loop contraption and they literally had to take it apart to get him out.  Some crazy story like that. 

Kids I went to college with worked there.  Every fall they would show us the pictures of shredded skin from the Alpine slide.  I can only imagine what they'd have documented if there were cellphone cameras back then.

I left a good bit of my knee on the Alpine Slide when I was a kid. 

Just throwing this out there, would any of you guys wanna talk to a reporter about your experiences at Action Park?  I'm a reporter for the local paper and one of my colleagues has been covering the resurgence of the place very closely.

Just throwing this out there, would any of you guys wanna talk to a reporter about your experiences at Action Park?  I'm a reporter for the local paper and one of my colleagues has been covering the resurgence of the place very closely.

It's resurging?  The last time I went it was on an overcast weekday.  Pretty empty.  My cousin and I were going up the biggest kamikaze slide.  I forget what they call it.   Flights and flights of stairs.  As we walk up we are joined by only one other soul.  A small boy of maybe 10.  When we get to the top the kid running the ride holds out the little "you must be this tall" tsquare.  The boy is so short that his spiked blonde hair is just short of the height requirement, he slyly looks to the side and stands on his toes until his hair hits the guide.  The employee tells him go ahead and he just dives down the slide.  He turns to us and says "Any kid that small with the balls to walk up those stairs, I'm not making him walk back down" and winks at us. 

My quote would be "I feel like people that went to Action Park were the same type of people that play tackle football in a parking lot." Free to use, if interested.

It's resurging?  The last time I went it was on an overcast weekday.  Pretty empty.  My cousin and I were going up the biggest kamikaze slide.  I forget what they call it.   Flights and flights of stairs.  As we walk up we are joined by only one other soul.  A small ball of maybe 10.  When we get to the top the kid running the ride holds out the little you must be this tall  - tsquare.  The boy is so short that his spiked blonde hair is just short of the height requirement, he slyly looks to the side and stands on his toes until his hair hits the guide.  The kid tells him go ahead and he just dives down the slide.  The kid turns to us and says "Any kid that small with the balls to walk up those stairs, I'm not making him walk back down" and winks at us. 

It was renamed "Mountain Creek" in 1998 and some of the classic attractions were taken out, the owners are bringing back the Action Park name and bringing back some of the old things. 

It was renamed "Mountain Creek" in 1998 and some of the classic attractions were taken out, the owners are bringing back the Action Park name and bringing back some of the old things. 

Yeah. It was already Mountain Creek the time I am talking about.  I don't know when it was exactly, but that Big Pun song had just come out and the kid that drove played it like 50 times just to annoy us.

Went to it a few times, Action Park was f**king awesome.

They should bring it back the way it was, just make people sign waivers before they go in.

I don't think there is waivers bulletproof enough in today's litigious society. A waterslide with a loop? Cement cart slides? lol

I don't think there is waivers bulletproof enough in today's litigious society. A waterslide with a loop? Cement cart slides? lol

I think the Alpine slide is still there.  The trick is to let the people in front of you get a good head start.  The worst thing is catching some wuss halfway down and bouncing off their ass the rest of the trip.  

Yeah. It was already Mountain Creek the time I am talking about.  I don't know when it was exactly, but that Big Pun song had just come out and the kid that drove played it like 50 times just to annoy us.

I'm not a player I just crush a lot?

The statute of limitations has probably expired, so they can safely go back to using the Action park name now.

Accident Park. We would walk around with coolers filled with beer, and nobody said anything. And we weren't the only ones.Didn't appear to be any prohibition.  One of our party who will remain nameless was quite fond after a half case of beer of throwing his shorts off the cliff dive and jumping naked.A lot. To the point management didn't much care.  The vibe was closer to a heavy metal show tailgate than a family amusement park.

Archived