Draft chatter: Quarterback in the first or second round

19andOhWait

If the Jets take a QB in Rd 1 or 2   

32 members have voted

1. 1. If the Jets take a QB in Rd 1 or 2, your reaction

• I'd be pissed
    • I'd be happy
    • I'd be indifferent

I keep reading posts where guys are saying if any of the big 4/5 QB's are on the board we should take them. Why do I keep reading this? we have Geno a guy who we can hopefully groom the next couple of years to be our QB for the next 5-10 years. we've got Mike Vick a respected veteran in this league to show him the ropes and step in if/when he falters. Why would we add a 3rd person to the mix? I don't understand this at all. give Geno a damn chance. I think he can be a good player and a great leader of our offense. I feel like I am in the minority on this. I have no problem with an Aaron Murray later in the draft, but with such glaring needs at CB WR2 TE S and OG it seems like a total waste of a pick to go QB at 18 or 49. 

Am I taking crazy pills? 

First of all, Mke Vick is not respected at all.

Second, Smith sucked to the 10th degree last year.

With that said, I dont want to see a QB picked in the first two rounds unless its Carr in the second and we then cut Vick but that is not happening.   

Build the offense this year and if Smith sucks then draft a QB to replace him next year.

First of all, Mke Vick is not respected at all.

Second, Smith sucked to the 10th degree last year.

With that said, I dont want to see a QB picked in the first two rounds unless its Carr in the second and we then cut Vick but that is not happening.   

Build the offense this year and if Smith sucks then draft a QB to replace him next year.

Vick is respected enough to get 5 million dollars from your favorite team and compete for the starting job.  

I'd be pissed. The highest you go is the 3rd round. I would prefer that the Jets draft David Fales in the 3rd or 4th rounds. The first two rounds should be for a WR & TE with the 3rd being the QB and the 4th being the 2 offensive linemen and safety. 

unfortunately, the draft might not fall that way

I keep reading posts where guys are saying if any of the big 4/5 QB's are on the board we should take them. Why do I keep reading this? we have Geno a guy who we can hopefully groom the next couple of years to be our QB for the next 5-10 years. we've got Mike Vick a respected veteran in this league to show him the ropes and step in if/when he falters. Why would we add a 3rd person to the mix? I don't understand this at all. give Geno a damn chance. I think he can be a good player and a great leader of our offense. I feel like I am in the minority on this. I have no problem with an Aaron Murray later in the draft, but with such glaring needs at CB WR2 S and OG it seems like a total waste of a pick to go QB at 18 or 49. 

Am I taking crazy pills? 

Those same people probably think Matt Simms should be the starter...

I just don't get it. 

color me an optimist I guess. 

Geno/Vick haters rejoice. 

#IwontplaytheRaceCardbutIcould

Why could you play the race card? Vick's best days are clearly behind him and Geno didn't exactly light the world on fire last year. Especially when the thread with the most traction has been based on drafting Teddy Bridgewater?

I just don't get it.

color me an optimist I guess.

Geno/Vick haters rejoice.

#IwontplaytheRaceCardbutIcould

From week 6 through week 17 including one bye week geno threw for 5 TDs and 13 ints. I don't care what race he is that's ******* awful. Maybe he gets better but to say you don't understand the criticism just leaves me baffled.

I wrote that last line mostly as schtick.

it's just amazing to me that people are throwing in the towel on Geno. Yes, he turned it over a lot and seemed to regress a little to end the year. so what. he was a rookie. this league certainly has changed and we'll never see a Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers situation ever again. you are plugged in immediately and you have to perform. that being said, getting 8 wins from a Geno-led team seems like a solid start to his career. but I guess I'm wrong and one season is enough to judge the guy. he's 23 years old for Gods sake can't we give him a few years 

unfortunately, the draft might not fall that way

You're probably right. This wouldn't be a surprise though. For the past 4 drafts the Jets have picked 5 players in the 1st round. All 5 have been on the defensive side of the football (Wilson, Wilkerson, Coples, Milliner, Richardson). Whats worse is that the Jets picks the following rounds have been these: (Geno, Stephen Hill, Kendrick Ellis in the 3rd round & Ducasse). Ducasse was a bust, Ellis rarely sees the field, Hill is more track star than WR and Geno just finished his rookie season. If you go even further, back when Sanchez was drafted you'll notice that none of the players drafted that year are even on the team, even worse, we only had 3 draft picks that year because we moved up for Sanchez. The year before that in 2008, not only did we bust on Gholston (another defensive player in the 1st round) but none of the players from that draft are on the team today. Also, a guy in Dwight Lowery that I liked a lot could have been converted to safety and used for depth. 

Now I'm hearing that there's a possibility that we can take a CB in the 1st, with even a Safety or OLB 2nd.  I would be extremely pissed if our 1st/2nd rounders are defense. Depending who it is I wouldn't necessarily be pissed if our 2nd pick goes defense, but that must be based on talent falling, basically getting a 1st round quality player in the 2nd round. Even with that, if a certain offensive player is available I just won't see it as acceptable to make the move (Jace Amaro/Marqise Lee  being available in the 2nd rd). The rest of these picks needs to be offense. The earliest we go defense I say is the 4th round, possibly getting Ed Reynolds of Stanford as a free safety. 

it's just amazing to me that people are throwing in the towel on Geno. Yes, he turned it over a lot and seemed to regress a little to end the year. so what. he was a rookie. this league certainly has changed and we'll never see a Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers situation ever again. you are plugged in immediately and you have to perform. that being said, getting 8 wins from a Geno-led team seems like a solid start to his career. but I guess I'm wrong and one season is enough to judge the guy. he's 23 years old for Gods sake can't we give him a few years

Geno showed nice makeup under pressure last year and has a really good sense of when to run the ball himself, but overall made a lot of bad decisions, took bad sacks, and turned the ball over at an alarming rate. His accuracy was mediocre for an nfl qb considering the type of offense we run. Part of that is the ass that was our skill positions last year, but he didn't show anything to me that his spot as qb1 was deserved outside of the fact that the other alternatives just sucked worse.

So sure, let him compete for the starting job and if he's good enough and has improved he should win it. I'm also okay with them taking a qb this year only if they really think the draft pick is a potential franchise QB. It's ill advised to write anyone off after one year, i agree, but he also did very little overall to deserve the job being penciled in as his this year and the next.

I wanted Geno to succeed last year as most of us did. He turned into a puddle at mid-season, confidence wise. I think that was partially Rex's fault, but that is okay. I missed the last 4 games because I was in another country. So my last memory of him is when he was doing his Tom Matte imitation. Sounds like he made a few strides. He has physical tools but he must become better at finesse passes. As for instincts, who knows at this point? He has the kind of arm strength that can stretch the field for you. But he needs to work on his long passing as well. I guess if he learns some touch and shows a flair for the position mentally we will be okay.

You're probably right. This wouldn't be a surprise though. For the past 4 drafts the Jets have picked 5 players in the 1st round. All 5 have been on the defensive side of the football (Wilson, Wilkerson, Coples, Milliner, Richardson). Whats worse is that the Jets picks the following rounds have been these: (Geno, Stephen Hill, Kendrick Ellis in the 3rd round & Ducasse). Ducasse was a bust, Ellis rarely sees the field, Hill is more track star than WR and Geno just finished his rookie season. If you go even further, back when Sanchez was drafted you'll notice that none of the players drafted that year are even on the team, even worse, we only had 3 draft picks that year because we moved up for Sanchez. The year before that in 2008, not only did we bust on Gholston (another defensive player in the 1st round) but none of the players from that draft are on the team today. Also, a guy in Dwight Lowery that I liked a lot could have been converted to safety and used for depth. 

Now I'm hearing that there's a possibility that we can take a CB in the 1st, with even a Safety or OLB 2nd.  I would be extremely pissed if our 1st/2nd rounders are defense. Depending who it is I wouldn't necessarily be pissed if our 2nd pick goes defense, but that must be based on talent falling, basically getting a 1st round quality player in the 2nd round. Even with that, if a certain offensive player is available I just won't see it as acceptable to make the move (Jace Amaro/Marqise Lee  being available in the 2nd rd). The rest of these picks needs to be offense. The earliest we go defense I say is the 4th round, possibly getting Ed Reynolds of Stanford as a free safety.

I know the Jets are a BPA team when it comes to the draft. But if 18 is a D man and 19 is a potential #1 wideout, I think they make the exception. Thing is, where do they draw that line? Second round is up for grabs. I do not think they are looking for a sleek, long one dimensional TE. They might go D

So this isn't based on an article or anything? Somebody just decided to put 'Draft chatter:' in the thread title?

got a problem Lonely? just thought I would make a post to speculate about a QB in rd 1 or 2. thats the point of most internet message boards isnt it, to stir up discussions and voice opinions. didn't know every post had to be backed up by a tweet 

Really? After 4 years of Mark Sanchez, you're amazed that a fanbase isn't confident in a guy that didn't have a good rookie year? That amazes you?

Year 2 was everybody throwing in the towel on Sanchez? no chance. so yes, it does amaze me that people are done with Geno already. 

Archived