Jets should trade up in round one

77DRAFT

I think the Jets should explore trading up a few spots in the

first round - ahead of Pittsburg and Baltimore, don't want these

teams picking ahead of us, we could get the exact guy we want if we

can find a trading partner. Baltimore could really burn us.

I would respectfully disagree.

in a deep draft, falling in love with a specific player and sacrificing picks to move up is a mistake.

a contender missing one piece might consider that

the jets should stand pat, pick a player and if anything trade down

The only reason I am okay with moving up is that 12 picks are too many.  Those guys are not all going to make the team, so if you are in love with somebody I am okay with moving up a bit.  I certainly don't see it as a necessity in the early rounds, and I hate basing my drafting strategy around other teams - the idea we need to pick somebody to keep the Pats from getting him is preposterous. 

I think the Jets should explore trading up a few spots in thefirst round - ahead of Pittsburg and Baltimore, don't want theseteams picking ahead of us, we could get the exact guy we want if wecan find a trading partner. Baltimore could really burn us.

I have no problem swapping 1st rounders with Dallas if all it takes is a 5th round pick. Dallas and the Jets needs are totally different so they shouldn't have a problem as well. As for the Raven they may select a receiver or TE. Mel Kiper has them selecting a safety as those guys in that org. usually help him out most of his mocks so you would have to think he's throwing them smokescreen as far as their picks goes. If we want to move up with the Bears without giving up a 4th I would be all for it but I doubt it.

I would respectfully disagree.

in a deep draft, falling in love with a specific player and sacrificing picks to move up is a mistake.

a contender missing one piece might consider that

the jets should stand pat, pick a player and if anything trade down

Right, quantity, not quality....at least in this case. Point is, if you are reasonably perspicacious, more picks will lead to more hits.

Trading up is different than what it once was with the new CBA. Bc the salaries aren't so out of wack anymore you pay more in picks.

If they can move around with 5-7 rounders fine. Highly unlikely in the first. Keep your 2-4s and just don't **** up at 18.

This times a million. I agree with Dom that 12 is too high since you'll just end up cutting a bunch of them anyways, but generally speaking our franchise is not in a place to turn down cheap depth or can justify trading up in the first since we have a dearth of talent in a lot of areas.

The only time a team like ours should go for a big trade up is to go franchise qb because unless we purposefully tank our defense isn't going to let us be bad enough to get a top five pick next year.

I like the idea of keeping all 12. For the last few years we've all noticed how there is no depth on this team. We had five rookie starters last year, that doesn't indicate a team that has a lot of depth. Idzik got all the comp picks so he could build depth this year. Plus this is considered one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. Keep the picks

funny-house-fire-little-girl.jpg

If the JETS move up they have a target. Most probably its for Mike Evans. In that the only scenario is trading with the Vikings IF Mike Evans is not selected by the Bucs. Vikings wont mind moving down the order because they most likely would draft a QB and most QB's available at #8 will be available at #18. So they would be highly motivated to trade down.

Can the JETS swing it for #18 and their 3rd round pick. If so than it would be great. JETS get their guy and they have three 4th round picks to add depth to their team.

The only reason I am okay with moving up is that 12 picks are too many.  Those guys are not all going to make the team, so if you are in love with somebody I am okay with moving up a bit.  I certainly don't see it as a necessity in the early rounds, and I hate basing my drafting strategy around other teams - the idea we need to pick somebody to keep the Pats from getting him is preposterous. 

This is true. 12 guys are not going to make the team, but we can certainly have 6 make the team. So if we hit on half our draft picks we can definitely turn things around rather quickly. Besides, we not only need starters on this team but we need depth. We need to fill 5 offensive positions whether starter or back up just on offense alone. WR(2), TE, T, G(2), C. Though some may not call it a need, I feel that until you hit you draft a QB every year, so that could go from 5 to 6 offensive positions that you potentially need to draft for. 

Not to mention that this is an overall deep draft 

This is true. 12 guys are not going to make the team, but we can certainly have 6 make the team. So if we hit on half our draft picks we can definitely turn things around rather quickly. Besides, we not only need starters on this team but we need depth. We need to fill 5 offensive positions whether starter or back up just on offense alone. WR(2), TE, T, G(2), C. Though some may not call it a need, I feel that until you hit you draft a QB every year, so that could go from 5 to 6 offensive positions that you potentially need to draft for. 

Not to mention that this is an overall deep draft 

Depends how you want to do it.  Shotgun or sniper.  I am fine with a little of both.  12 picks won't make it, but if you want to draft 12 and keep the best of the bunch fine.  If you feel it is better to target a few later guys that you are confident will fit the team, I am fine with that too. 

Depends how you want to do it.  Shotgun or sniper.  I am fine with a little of both.  12 picks won't make it, but if you want to draft 12 and keep the best of the bunch fine.  If you feel it is better to target a few later guys that you are confident will fit the team, I am fine with that too. 

I feel if we were in the situation that the 49ers are in for example then I could certainly see us trade up and around where we wanted. The 49ers however have talent at every level on both sides of the football and even they don't trade up or around like that. Yes they need to satisfy some places, but it was their ability to draft a bunch of players from previous years that ultimately put them in the position today of having solid talent on both sides of the ball with 11 draft picks, 6 in the first 3 rounds this upcoming draft. 

Look at the 49ers previous 5 years drafting. 2013 (11 picks), 2012 (7 picks), 2011 (10 picks), 2010 (8 picks), 2009 (7 picks). 

3 - 4th rounders

4 - 6th rounders

If we need to secure a prospect and need to add our original pick in the 5th or 6th round I'm all for it. As for as the fourth rounders. If we are eager to trade back to the 2nd round for a second selection would mind trading a 3rd and a 4th to do so. It kinds of sucks Tampa cut Revis I tell you.

all depends for who and for how much

Trading up for Evans would be nice if it cost a couple late rounders. Would give Geno some big targets (other than Kerley they would average around 6'3" right?). I like Evans a lot, and hope like heck he doesn't end up on the bills.

you can get Jordan Matthews in the 2nd round if you're looking for a big target. No need to trade picks. Matthews is two inches shorter but at 6'3 is faster than Evans. Evans can box out defenders with his body better than Matthews, but its not like Matthews can't do it, and we already have that in Eric Decker as well.

Archived