Richard Sherman is highest paid cornerback in NFL

Lizard King

Jets fans didn't hear this news but the cap went up this offseason, and its projected to go up by 5-10mil chunks over the next few seasons. 

I'm well aware of the cap increase, but the notion that Richard Sherman playing at $500k is the same as Revis playing at $16 is illogical.  When you have to increase someone's salary 30-fold, something has to give. Often, that something could be a handful of players that helps build a championship team. You really think Seattle will be able to field the same caliber of team once you have to pay Sherman, Thomas III and Wilson?  So long as Wilson improves, they'll be fine, but they're going to have to miss out on paying someone.

I'm well aware of the cap increase, but the notion that Richard Sherman playing at $500k is the same as Revis playing at $16 is illogical.  When you have to increase someone's salary 30-fold, something has to give. Often, that something could be a handful of players that helps build a championship team. You really think Seattle will be able to field the same caliber of team once you have to pay Sherman, Thomas III and Wilson?  So long as Wilson improves, they'll be fine, but they're going to have to miss out on paying someone.

It's certainly a good problem to have considering they already won a Super Bowl. The Jets could go Florida Marlins for all I care if they win it.

It's certainly a good problem to have considering they already won a Super Bowl. The Jets could go Florida Marlins for all I care if they win it.

They won a super bowl already, so of course it's all gravy, but in this era, these are the issues you face when trying to build a dynasty. It's almost impossible unless you land a Manning, Brady or Rodgers.  You can do everything right by building your team through the draft, but unless you hit on an elite quarterback, the team will be very hard to keep together over the long-haul.  

They won a super bowl already, so of course it's all gravy, but in this era, these are the issues you face when trying to build a dynasty. It's almost impossible unless you land a Manning, Brady or Rodgers.  You can do everything right by building your team through the draft, but unless you hit on an elite quarterback, the team will be very hard to keep together over the long-haul.  

For sure.

How would you rank Beckham, Landry, Randle and LaFell if you had to(assuming they were all coming out)?

If we would have brought back Revis this year, this defense would be set to friggen go...especially after the draft.....plus, we wouldnt even have to consider using a high draft pick on a cb this year and could bring in talent at another needed area. He pricey, I get that...but he a complete shutdown corner...hes worth it. 

And he definitely is better than Sherman. 

Sherman has a personality.  They won a super bowl because that team has a personality.   Revis is great, but he's pretty much a guy that just wants top dollar and it's why he was on a 4-12 team last year.     He is a shut down corner, but doesn't make anybody else better, doesn't really lead, doesn't get a team fired up.   He's in it for himself and thats it.         Huge difference.     And smart teams just work around Revis.   And it's worked because Revis has pretty much been on teams that never could win more than 8 games.  Is that all his fault?  No, but a shut down corner doesn't do much if the other receivers combine for 25 catches and 499 yards. 

For sure.

How would you rank Beckham, Landry, Randle and LaFell if you had to(assuming they were all coming out)?

1. Beckham. 

2. Randle (While Randle certainly played with inferior QB play, I personally feel that everything Randle does well, Beckham can do, but there's things Beckham excels at that Randle simply cannot. Randle was a big-time deal committing to LSU. He was a super prep, 5-star recruit, top WR in the class and I believe top 3 or so in the entire high school class. He has a ton of talent, but basing it on what they did in college, I've gotta go Beckham)

3. Landry

3b. Lafell

I think Landry and LaFell are similar players, but you saw a lot more lapses in concentration with LaFell where he'd just drop some easy ones after making the tough one across the middle and his routes never seemed as crisp as Landry's. Beckham and Landry are more pro-ready coming out under Cam Cameron than the majority of previous receivers to leave LSU.  I recently heard someone compare Landry to Decker and it's not a bad comparison to be honest.  

Um, Revis is probably thrilled right now. Sherman sets a new standard at 13M.

6 out of 16 games Revis plays against Tannehill/Ej Manuel/Geno or Vick. Oh and two more games against OAK and MINN QBs.

Next year Revis finally settles down at age 29. Signs a long term deal with a ton of guarenteed money. Good for him and his family.

Um, Revis is probably thrilled right now. Sherman sets a new standard at 13M.

6 out of 16 games Revis plays against Tannehill/Ej Manuel/Geno or Vick. Oh and two more games against OAK and MINN QBs.

Next year Revis finally settles down at age 29. Signs a long term deal with a ton of guarenteed money. Good for him and his family.

F*** Revis.

LaFell 4 seems revisionist.

It certainly might be. I've watched just about every LSU game for the last decade and I'm no different from anyone else, I'll be biased towards guys who I saw more recently as opposed to LaFell who's been gone for five years or whatever it's been.  To me, Beckham is the best WR since Bowe and I've been saying that for two years now.  You could swap 2-4 any way you want and it wouldn't really matter to me, I guess I gave Randle the edge because he timed a bit better and had the far superior pedigree and I figured he was putting it all together his junior year before leaving. 

• 2 weeks later...

4 years 57.4 million, $40 million guaranteed. That is an absurd amount of money guaranteed when you consider that Talib got $26 million guaranteed. The Seahawks now have the highest paid corner and safety on their team. Then they have to pay Wilson and the rest of their young guys. They are headed to cap hell even with the raising of the salary cap.

4 years 57.4 million, $40 million guaranteed. That is an absurd amount of money guaranteed when you consider that Talib got $26 million guaranteed. The Seahawks now have the highest paid corner and safety on their team. Then they have to pay Wilson and the rest of their young guys. They are headed to cap hell even with the raising of the salary cap.

if that is the price of a SB I would take it

Archived